God of War

Nov 10

Nov 10

PlayStation 4 Pro Launches Today

Shawn Layden's Avatar Posted by President, Sony Interactive Entertainment America | Chairman, SIE Worldwide Studios

Today’s the day — PlayStation 4 Pro is now available at major retailers across North America, and the globe. Whether you’re picking up a system to take advantage of dynamic 4K visuals, or for the boosted processing power that makes games run smoother than ever, you’re in for a treat.

We’ve got a great lineup of more than 40 games that will support PS4 Pro on day-one. That includes already released hits like Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, The Last of Us Remastered, Paragon, and Firewatch, which look even more stunning on PS4 Pro, and recent games like Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. Head here for a full list of PS4 games that support PS4 Pro on day one.

Looking ahead, all first-party titles launching in or after 2017 will support dynamic 4K gaming. To learn more about the features of PS4 Pro, check out the PS4 Pro Feature Breakdown on PlayStation.com.

Additionally, the Netflix app on PS4 Pro now supports 4K streaming and provides Netflix members access to hundreds of hours of TV shows and movies in stunning 4K quality. YouTube has also been updated on PS4 Pro to support 4K content. And lastly, Hulu has an update for PS4 Pro, providing best-in-class video services at launch.

If you picked up PlayStation VR, you may know that PS4 Pro fully supports the system. PS4 Pro can deliver an enhanced experience for some PS VR titles thanks to PS4 Pro’s increased processing power.

Of course, maintaining one central PS4 community is incredibly important to us. All games and gameplay features will be available on both PS4 Pro and the standard PS4, meaning you never have to worry about missing out on the next big game or not being able to play with a friend online.

From everyone at PlayStation, we’re so excited for you to experience the next step in PS4’s journey with PS4 Pro.

Add Your Own

Suby_Greg said:

November 10th, 5:30 am

Mine is being delivered today. Very excited since I have so many games getting the upgrade. Thank you PlayStation

pickupdoctor said:

November 10th, 9:28 am

Me too, I just got 1TB FireCuda Hard Drive and hoping this will improve PS4 Pro performance even more. Will be performing surgery tonight.

BAD-WAYNE said:

November 10th, 9:51 am

Seriously Sony??? Read the fine print folks. It was bad enough that you guys didn’t include a 4K optical-drive but now I’m reading that the Playstation VR PU (Processor Unit) doesn’t support 4K HDR passthrough; it only supports UHD passthrough meaning if you have the PSVR you will disconnect the Pro from the PSVR and plug it directly into your TV to view 4k. I almost wasn’t going to buy the Pro because of the lack of the drive but after seeing some of the games running at 4K AND the inclusion of the 3rd USB 3.0 port I decided to get it because you can’t use a racing wheel, PSVR AND a good wireless headset without 3 USB ports (and no the USB port extenders don’t work for PSVR or a racing wheels). Now I’m setting everything up and I read that if I want to view 4K HDR content from my Pro I will have disconnect it from the PSVR Processor Unit and plug it directly into the TV…Somebody at Sony didn’t think this through very well.

kdiep said:

November 10th, 11:14 am

@BAD-WAYNE Calm down, and let’s get something straightened out. The VR pass through supports 4K (or UHD, it’s the same thing) but does NOT support HDR. So yeah you will need to disconnect and reconnect if you want HDR content. Yes it’s a flaw but currently, there’s not too much HDR content out there. Think only Last Of Us and inFamous supports it atm.

SureBigBuster said:

November 10th, 11:31 am

@ +kdiep that is the lamest excuse I’ve ever read. Too little HDR content at launch, but we all know that every single upcoming title will be HDR-compatible. Isn’t the PS4 Pro supposed to be a “future-proofed PS4”?

Suby_Greg said:

November 10th, 3:18 pm

Do either of you two have a solution for it? Is it possible that Sony couldn’t for any number of reasons? Does this, like 4K Blu Ray even effect you or are we just complaining to complain?

Agreed it’s unfortunate. However the attitude of how could you is odd to me. It’s because… because of actual limitations or limitations at the price point they wanted to reach.

I have no idea if the problem can be solved via patch or what.

But the because is obviously legit. So no reason to be sore

SureBigBuster said:

November 10th, 3:46 pm

@ + Suby_Greg why do you want to defend them so bad? I *do* have issues with this, because the plugging/unplugging every damn time you want to switch between VR and playing a regular game on HDR mode will be annoying AF.

Suby_Greg said:

November 10th, 4:20 pm

Not defending them. Pointing out the obvious. They didn’t just over look it. There is a legit reason. Most likely to do with cost and/or price point.

And I’m sure if Sony were to increase price to resolve this issue or 4K blu ray, you would be crying about that also.

SureBigBuster said:

November 10th, 6:09 pm

That is not my problem as a consumer, that’s entirely on them to figure out how to make these two devices to communicate seamlessly. It was well thought out on their end, and that’s the end of this discussion.

SureBigBuster said:

November 10th, 6:10 pm

*wasn’t* well thought out

Suby_Greg said:

November 10th, 8:13 pm

It’s there job to make sure a product works yes. And it does. Stop acting like you lied to or misled.

While I sympathize with the situation you described, you product is not broken.

MakoSOLIDER said:

November 10th, 5:44 am

Mine is on it’s way. That said doesn’t the OG PS4 technically support 4K for video? Would like to see the 4K YT support added for it too.

YungShep said:

November 10th, 6:42 am

only HDR support on the vanilla. i have a 4k tv, so i can attest to it not working the way you’re asking. HDR is amazing tho. can;t wait to go pro next week!

XDkakashiDX said:

November 10th, 5:47 am

I want one so bad, but im saving my money for playstation experience.

deathly1 said:

November 10th, 5:48 am

Mine is arriving today as well, right now I’m trying to decide what games to buy.

I really hope Sony reconsiders their stance on not improving frame-rates for games that don’t perform well. I really want to play more Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 but both of those games make me motion sick do to the choppy, sub-30, frame-rates. I don’t care about 4K, I don’t even care about 60 fps, but I really think that games should run at 30 minimum, and it’s kind of upsetting that even though the Pro is twice as powerful many games still run at below 30.

KidCommando said:

November 10th, 6:29 am

Well, you already bought it. So good luck with that!

It is up to the developers how they decide to use the little extra power of the Pro. You need to contact FromSoftware about those games.

deathly1 said:

November 10th, 6:46 am

@ KidCommando I don’t mean a patch to run at 4K, just Sony allowing the extra CPU and GPU power to improve frame-rates on older games the way the Xbox One S improves older Xbox One games or a more powerful PC improves older PC games, no patching necessary. Sony specifically downclocks the CPU/GPU so that older games won’t run better which to me is a bizarre choice and something I hope they fix in a firmware update. Again, not interested in 4K, I just want games that run at like 20-29 fps to run closer to a locked 30 fps.

deathly1 said:

November 10th, 6:48 am

BTW I ended up buying Skyrim and Infinite Warfare, SUPER EXCITED to see how beautiful they look/run on the Pro.

KidCommando said:

November 10th, 7:16 am

@deathly1

I understand what you mean now.

deathly1 said:

November 10th, 9:24 am

Okay now according to Digital Foundry the frame-rate on Skyrim is WORSE on the Pro than the base PS4, even in 1080P. I’m an idiot for buying Skyrim, Bethesda doesn’t care at all about quality and apparently Sony certified this game even though they assured us that games would run at frame-rates equal or better to the base PS4. The Pro is shaping up to be a nightmare so far unless you only care about resolution and don’t mind worse gameplay.

iamtylerdurden1 said:

November 10th, 9:36 am

You’re putting out bad information. Single player games can have improved framerates, Infamous, Tomb Raider, and Nioh all have improved framerates. Even titles like CoD Modern Warfare Remastered were shown to run at a much more stable 60fps.

deathly1 said:

November 10th, 9:42 am

@iamtylerdurden1 I’m specifically talking about Skyrim Special Edition. You can watch the footage on Digital Foundry, it runs at 27-29 FPS even in the opening scene where you are riding in the wagon, yet the same game on the base PS4 maintains a steady 30. You’re right though that many other games will (and should) perform better, I don’t want to put out false information concerning games like Call of Duty Infinite Warfare, reportedly those games run great.

Anyway I’m going to call Sony and ask for a refund on Skyrim, I haven’t played it at all and they should be able to verify that, I hope. Wish me luck.

MKPACK said:

November 10th, 6:15 am

Playstation TV Remote Play?

Congrats to the Playstation team on the launch of the PS4 Pro.

How does using remote play to the Playstation TV improve with the PS4 Pro compared with streaming from the original PS4?

I’m looking forward to seeing how my gaming experience improves!

pickupdoctor said:

November 10th, 9:27 am

Sony said that Playstation TV now can run Remote Play at 1080p instead of 720p like it does not with regular PS4. Now they said Remote Play will be 1080p on PS4 Pro, I am assuming that means Playstation TV, Mac, PC etc and every other device that allows for Remote Play can handle 1080p. That means I will probably need to get Playstation TV + Skyrim for my wife so she can play upstairs.

MrMichaelJames said:

November 10th, 6:17 am

Would be nice if sony offered an upgrade plan. Trade in old PS4 for $100 off a new PS4 Pro.

KidCommando said:

November 10th, 6:24 am

Why don’t you just sell it? I’m sure you can get $100 or more.

Tinye310 said:

November 10th, 7:12 am

^ what that guy said

L3G1T_G4M3R_4EVR said:

November 10th, 7:27 am

Sony doesn’t offer anything persay. But if you’ve ever heard of EB Games (i think GameStops the same in the U.S.A.) they’re offering Fast Track to PS4Pro, trade in your old PS4 and get $210 flat. Only way they won’t take it is if it’s physically damaged. (I.e. you attempted open heart surgery on the thing)
    All you need is the console, power and hdmi cords, any color controller (HAS to he Sony brand however) and any cable that can charge the controller.

KidCommando said:

November 10th, 6:23 am

Probably gonna skip the Pro and wait for PS5. I just don’t see enough of a change to waste more time, money, and effort in upgrading.

Not too keen on slight mid gen upgrades. Sure if I had a 4K HDR TV, I would pick it up, but not much of an upgrade for standard 1080p HDTV owners (the majority).

Passing on the little hop from Pro and waiting on the leap to PS5!

KBG29 said:

November 10th, 6:42 am

It will be interesting to see how long this wait is. Depending on when PS5 happens, it may or may not be much of a jump from Pro. If PS5 launches in 2020 on 7nm FinFET, then don’t expect it to bring anything much more amazing than what is being offered on Pro today.

I not saying buy the Pro, I am just saying check your reality on what you expect from consoles, and really computers in general going forward. We have reached the point of deminishing returns, and going forward it is mostly about making everything faster and more stable. Basically a game on PS4 will be the same as a game on PS4 Pro, will be the same on PS5. The only difference will be load times, and 1080p/1440p/4K and 30/60fps.

KidCommando said:

November 10th, 7:10 am

@KBG29

I hear what you are saying but this is not just about power. With a new generation comes brand new games. As of right now, I will be able to play every game on my standard PS4 until the PS5 releases.

The jump from PS4 to PS5 will be substantial. certainly more than PS4 to PS4 Pro. My expectations are completely in check….that is why I am skipping the Pro, duh.

“Basically a game on PS4 will be the same as a game on PS4 Pro, will be the same on PS5.” – that is basically wrong and when PS5 drops if you are around we can discuss it then.

akisuo said:

November 10th, 6:26 am

Awesome. We’re probably giong to get one for the family for Christmas. We have the original PS4, and it’ll go upstairs to another room.

iamtylerdurden1 said:

November 10th, 9:41 am

Don’t buy an xboneS for the 4K BR drive. It’s among the worst you can get and it’s missing important features.

ryohazuki224 said:

November 10th, 6:27 am

I would be getting mine today too… if only there was a UHD Blu-ray player in it. Honestly, I know Sony didn’t put one in to keep costs down, but it’s still a major letdown.

Now, if I didn’t already own a PS4, I might reconsider. But since i have an OG PS4, I can keep from getting a Pro for a while. I for sure as hell dont have the bandwidth right now to take advantage of 4K streaming video, which would be one of my top two reasons for getting a Pro (the other reason is of course the upscaled games).

KBG29 said:

November 10th, 6:35 am

Without UHD Blu-ray support Sony needs to support 4K HDR downloads on PlayStation Video in the very near future. I think digital is the future anyways, so the lack of UDHBR support doesn’t really bother me. Not offering 4K downloads via PlayStation Video or Ultra which are both Sony 4K video services, that confuses the bejeebies out of me.

deathly1 said:

November 10th, 6:40 am

I think Sony could have offered two separate SKUs, one with UHD Blur Ray and one without. The UHD version would have probably cost $500 though and I’m sure people would have complained about the price so it seems like a lose/lose for Sony. I don’t have a 4K TV but if I did I’d probably try to pick up an Xbox One S for cheap on Black Friday just for the Blu Ray player, considering a decent stand-alone player will cost $200 anyway.

jakemania said:

November 10th, 9:38 am

Even if you did have the bandwidth, most 4K TVs can already stream 4K content. The fact that the One S supports 4k blu-rays and the Pro doesn’t baffles me.

KBG29 said:

November 10th, 6:30 am

Going to pick mine up from Gamestop in 4 hours. I also purchased a Sony STR-ZA5000ES Receiver and a Sony XBR-75Z9D 4K HDR TV to take full advantage of the Pro. Really looking forward to playing Rise of the Tomb Raider, Watch Dogs 2, Driveclub VR, and many, many more on PS4 Pro.

One thing I would really like to see in the very near future is support for the 4K HDR downlaods offered on PlayStation Video. I have been a PlayStation Video supporter for many years now and own over 400 movies, and 120 TV series through the service, and I would like to be able to continue to purchase the highest quality content from the service, on Sony’s most flagship of products.

Thanks for this upgrade, been waiting for PlayStation to go down this road since Ken Kutaragi talked about it with Cell and PS3. Glad to see we have finally reached the point where we can have choice within PlayStation Platforms. Hope to see a Mobile and Portable offering in the coming years. Keep up the great work.

Dragonchasers said:

November 10th, 6:31 am

For some odd reason Amazon delivered mine yesterday. So far I’m delighted.

Thanks also for the easy migration. I’m actually keeping both the PS4 and PS4 Pro hooked up for now and I copied the PS4 Pro enabled games over to the Pro in less than an hour (I think it was 8 games, including Elder Scrolls Online which is 80 GB).

sweep_puppy said:

November 10th, 6:34 am

Any news on when Amazon Video will include 4K & HDR Video its not on the PS4 Pro just checked

megalodonshark said:

November 10th, 6:57 am

Happy Birthday to every single Marine out there today as it is the 10th of November, and we have endured since 1775 on this date!

CrusaderForever said:

November 10th, 7:07 am

Wow, happy birthday! That is a tremendous feat. Congrats! We all appreciate everything the military does for our freedom!!!!

KidCommando said:

November 10th, 7:22 am

man, you guys have been pawns for a long time.

CrusaderForever said:

November 10th, 7:05 am

Congrats Sony!! I hope the PS4 Pro is a huge seller! I will be getting mine in January! Hope everyone who buys one enjoys it!

Tinye310 said:

November 10th, 7:14 am

Excited to get mine today! FF15 60FPS here we come!

gabe2255 said:

November 10th, 7:16 am

Not to sound cheap BUT is there a way to trade in for an upgrade my ps4 is in great condition but would really appreciate the extra processing power

sweep_puppy said:

November 10th, 7:32 am

So no Pro Support for Battlefield 1 :(

Oste18262009 said:

November 10th, 11:44 am

They included it on one of their previous lists but it suddenly disappeared. Not sure why but I want pro support for it as much as the next guy.

bam37 said:

November 10th, 8:14 am

yea mine is transferring data now uugghhh the wait lol

omegazio said:

November 10th, 8:37 am

I can’t wait to get my PS4 Pro thank you PlayStation keep on bringing the games & features.

S370HSSV said:

November 10th, 8:47 am

I didnt feel like waiting, went to Target at 8am and picked one up.

BathoryBlaze said:

November 10th, 9:13 am

Sadly my vr stretched out and no longer fits me well so I gotta get another vr before I can get a pro.

SeanPiterpater said:

November 10th, 10:10 am

Beyond pissed.

Picked up my PS4 Pro this morning. GUESS WHAT

My TV (LG 49UH6100) is one of the 2 TV’s that the PS4’s 4k resolution doesn’t support. I’ve spent all morning trying to figure out a work around. The TV is 4K and has HDR pro. From what the support techs from playstation tell me is, is that i have to wait for a firmware upgrade from LG. Now i’m stuck playing and streaming at 1080p. WHAT WAS THE POINT OF ME UPGRADING AT THIS POINT.

Its been a greeeaaaat morning for me. I hope you guys’ Pro experience has been a little better.

dorian_gray27 said:

November 12th, 4:42 pm

Have you tried booting your ps4 pro to safe mode then switching HDCP to 1.4 from 2.2? This seems to work for most lg tv.

Also one user has reported that the hdmi cable that is provided with the pro isn’t actually 2.2 so when he used another cable that is 2.2 it actually worked for him.

Please update us if any of these solutions work for you

HitmanRebornEX said:

November 10th, 11:03 am

Traded in my old ps4 and it paid over half of it off, really liking the new look, cant wait for final fantasy 15 =D.

GaMeR_bOi_83 said:

November 10th, 1:23 pm

Got mines this morning. Already did the data transfer (which was faster then I thought. Almost 300GB in under a hour). Now time to save for a 4K HDR10 tv.

Orayu- said:

November 10th, 1:45 pm

If you people are going to be plunking down $399 every few years wouldn’t it be more logical to buy a gaming PC at this point? A $700 gaming PC will blow everything the pro or scorpio will bring out of the water anyway, use your heads.

sweep_puppy said:

November 10th, 7:14 pm

Thats good and all. But there are a ton PlayStation exclusives you cant get on PC

TJ_Solo said:

November 15th, 11:39 am

You bring up PC parts and all I see is people selling their old parts online in order to help pay off a new part. It would make sense for console owners to do the same, if they want. Sell old tech, buy new tech. I am sure there’s some market for it since it’s been happening for decades now. Of course, some of us can buy a PS4 Pro, 1080s, Wii Us/Switch, Vitas, 3DS, etc all in one year without acting like if can ONLY be one of those, evah!

huttchins said:

November 10th, 3:57 pm

Hello everyone..
I had the old PS4 the Destiny limited edition system but it got stolen from my house and now I’m in a position to buy a new ps4 now but is the PS4PRO worth buying?…thanks Godbless

stu1smartcookie said:

November 10th, 4:40 pm

Got mine 24 hours ago and was first in the line to do so at our midnight launch … haven’t played too much yet but I’m either getting the ps vr on Saturday or a 4K TV … just not sure what to get first . I’m leaning towards the TV but the vr will be awesome with the pro . Got the camera being delivered tomorrow too . Exciting times for this 54 year old ( my fiancĂ©e reckons I’m a big kid lol .. she’s right ) Been a fan of gaming since the old Atari 2600 and the zx 81 computers…

worg said:

November 10th, 5:18 pm

heard there is supposed to be a patch coming for us ppl who have a 2TB HD and want to move it straight over to the PS4 pro. Anyone know if it’s up yet??

dkarlowicz10 said:

November 10th, 5:42 pm

Just got the PS4 pro. It worked no problem until I was asked to do an update. Now the tv is blank and I get no video on my tv. Seems to be the update. I’m a little frustrated right now as I want to play the new PS4. Anyone else with this update issue?

sweep_puppy said:

November 10th, 7:12 pm

Try Booting it up in Safe Mode

alankstiyo said:

November 10th, 8:34 pm

when is the hdr patch coming for all of those games? Just have infamous, uncharted and the last of us so far, no love for bf1, cod and titanfall?

stoney1979m said:

November 11th, 12:55 am

I was totally going to buy this, until I found out that it does not play the 4k blurays, now I can see the point in upgrading, I’m going to spend the cash I had put to one side on a 4k bluray, shame really as I’m used to watching discs on my ps4, now I have to make room for a player, or Xbox what ever is cheaper,

SCoopat said:

November 11th, 9:55 am

yeah, that was a deal-breaker for me too….. gotta have that 4k UHD bluray drive in a machine marketed towards 4k!!!

TJ_Solo said:

November 15th, 11:35 am

play games on the PS4. Simple.
    If you want a movie machine then buy a real BR player.

Nicolas_Roussos said:

November 11th, 4:56 am

If I use a Blu-ray movie in 1080p the PS4 Pro will do upscale for 4k?

Welmosca said:

November 11th, 10:08 am

Wow time sure flies…didn’t even remembered that it was already time of the launch of this crap.

I hope it fails on sales and I feel sad for sheeps supporting this cash-grabber.

obsticalclip said:

November 11th, 9:54 pm

obsticalclip said:

November 11th, 10:04 pm

Also why is 4k UHD Bluray so important all of a sudden. I bet before the competitor pointed it out you didn’t even know they existed. I think i might have watched 5-6 Blurays at all myself and I’m sure it would only be a novelty for a couple of discs if it was included. Personally I wouldn’t think it was any sort of deal breaker. Why does it have to be included anyway. Including it would only serve the raise the price and quite honestly you need to ask yourself would you really use it? i mean really would you? I can assure you, you will never be able to rent one as DVD stores are dying, so you will be paying top dollar to own them to watch them. I personally are happy they chose to keep the cost down rather than included the latest obsolete drive.

WATERSTAND said:

November 14th, 2:23 pm

Peasant box 4.5, we swear it’s much more powerful like a gaming PC. But with no backwards compatibility, online play hidden behind an atrocious paywall, and still rocking that highly cinematic 30 frames per second.