Knack 2

Nov 16

Nov 16

Craft Your Own Spells in Mages of Mystralia, Out 2017 on PS4

Dan Adelman's Avatar Posted by Mages of Mystralia

Hi everyone. This is Dan Adelman. I work with a number of indie studios to help them be as successful as possible. I’m super excited to announce that Mages of Mystralia by Borealys Games is officially confirmed for PS4! Mages of Mystralia is an action-adventure game in which you design your own custom spells to solve environmental puzzles and fight enemies.

Imagine Gandalf. Merlin. Even Dumbledore. The power behind each of these mage archetypes stems from their wisdom. Their learning. Their experience. And yet in videogames, that’s a very difficult feeling to convey. Too often mage classes are implemented as range weapons and healers as part of a larger party. The player never earns a spell so much as unlocks it.

When we set out to create Mages of Mystralia, we wanted players to feel like a mage. To master the ways of magic and create spells that are uniquely their own. To that end, a rich, powerful, and intuitive spell creation system is fundamental to the experience.

To feel powerful and wise, you must first know what it’s like to be weak and unwise. In Mages of Mystralia, you play as Zia, a young girl who discovers one day that she has the gift of magic. In the Mystralia universe, magic is known to exist, but it is rare — and illegal. Zia goes into exile on a quest to learn the ways of magic and master her skills. Along the way, she discovers runes which can be combined in different ways to create new spells.

There are potentially millions of ways to combine these runes, so as you master the system, you will be able to create spells that no one has ever seen before. At PAX, one journalist created a spell that shot a fireball which — when it hit its target — froze the enemy in place and dropped boulders on his head. Another person made a decoy version of Zia that spins around and shoots lightning bolts.

We are extremely excited to announce that Mages of Mystralia will be coming to PS4 in Spring 2017! If you will be attending PlayStation Experience in Anaheim on December 3 and 4, you’ll be able to play through a complete area of the game, filled with different enemy types, puzzles, and some bonus secrets to uncover.

We also have a webcomic that explores the lore of the Mystralia universe. Last but not least, if you sign up for our newsletter, we’ll send you updates about once a month with information about how development is going and some fun behind the scenes stuff!

Looking forward to sharing more with the PS4 community as we get closer to launch in 2017!

Add Your Own

Daimonius said:

November 16th, 10:13 am

I really like the aesthetic – a bit like Wind Waker and it’s DS offshoots, but higher fidelity. Excited to see what kinds of crazy spells I can make.

Dan Adelman's Avatar

Dan Adelman said:

November 16th, 10:21 am

Thank you! The team was going for a very classic colorful look. One of the key references were things like the classic European comics like Tintin and others.

We’re going to be showing off a lot more about the spell creation mechanic soon. At PSX you’ll be able to try it yourself. One of the cooler things you can do is nest spells within each other, so you can combine multiple spells into one large spell.

Daimonius said:

November 16th, 10:15 am

*it’s = its
    #grammar

Dan Adelman's Avatar

Dan Adelman said:

November 16th, 10:44 am

Also, if anyone is interested in learning more about the lore and background story of the world, check out the Mages of Mystralia webcomic. It’s updated Tuesdays and Thursdays! http://comic.magesofmystralia.com/comic/cover-front

Dan Adelman's Avatar

Dan Adelman said:

November 16th, 12:41 pm

Yeah, Brian’s a pro, as is Carey Pietsch, the artist! We got lucky that they were both available!

EpochAWOL said:

November 16th, 12:31 pm

Oh man, I have to check out the web comic just because it has Clevinger working on it. I love Atomic Robo and 8 Bit Theater wasn’t too shabby either. :P

Seluhir said:

November 17th, 7:23 am

Very pretty. Always glad to see colourful games. Also glad to see a creative magic game that isn’t first person. :)

PixelProofInc said:

November 16th, 11:04 am

THIS. THIS LOOKS AMAZING. Though I have two questions: is there going to be any customization and is it open world?

Dan Adelman's Avatar

Dan Adelman said:

November 16th, 11:58 am

Thank you! Yes, the entire game is about customization. :) By designing your own spells, you can solve the different environmental puzzles and fight enemies in creative ways. For example, you could design a simple fireball to shoot at enemies, or you could conjure a wall of ice to block their path while you get away.

It’s not open world per se. It’s more different dungeons connected via some hubs. So you go into an area, and in order to work your way through the area (and get to the boss/powerups/etc. at the end) you need to solve puzzles and fight bad guys. There is a little bit of opportunity for backtracking to access areas you couldn’t before, but that’s more a bonus for completionists.

Tinye310 said:

November 16th, 11:15 am

I am intrigued! I really dig female protagonists so this is appealing. Also the art style looks great! I will keep my eye out for the release. I wonder what games/genres influenced the creation of this game?

Dan Adelman's Avatar

Dan Adelman said:

November 16th, 12:06 pm

The shorthand way I often describe it is Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker meets Harry Potter. LoZ in the sense that there are dungeons to explore and puzzles to solve, and Harry Potter in the sense that you start off as a mage with no real knowledge of magic. As you build up your knowledge, you become more powerful.

In a way, that’s why we decided to have a female protagonist. With a male mage, there might be a tendency to think in terms of physical/muscular strength. Instead, we wanted the game to reward creativity and intelligence. Obviously those are not characteristics that are exclusive to girls and women (I’m male and like to think of myself as creative and intelligent! :)) but by removing any hints that you could force your way through the game via brute strength alone, we are hoping to emphasize the spell design mechanic.

Another option to achieve this feeling could have been to make the protagonist very old. Yoda, Gandalf, Dumbledore, etc. aren’t physically imposing, so it’s clear they have to rely on their magic abilities. But since we wanted the protagonist to be young and just starting learning about magic, we thought a female protagonist was the best way to convey all of this.

Bella_Iris said:

November 16th, 8:42 pm

Wow, I am totally blown away by how amazing this sounds. I have to admit, just “unlocking” new spells was getting old for me. I love creativity in games, and I’m really looking forward to this now. Also, the music in the trailer was beautiful, and I love the colorful look of the game. To top it off, I love environmental puzzles. It’s like you tailored a game just for me! This will definitely be one I will love! Can’t wait!

Dan Adelman's Avatar

Dan Adelman said:

November 17th, 6:20 am

Thanks for mentioning the soundtrack. We’re going to show some more info about it later, but we recently recorded the full score with a live orchestra. So the music in the final game is going to sound even better than the trailer. :)

american_36 said:

November 17th, 2:31 am

This game was on my wishlist already, glad it’s coming to my preferred way of playing (console). But I gotta ask: Are there any plans for coop? The only thing more awesome than creating your own spellcombinations is combining two of the for even more awesomeness~

Dan Adelman's Avatar

Dan Adelman said:

November 17th, 6:29 am

The gameplay itself won’t have coop, but in the spell system it’s possible to create nested spells, so you can get that combining-two-for-even-more-awesomeness sensation without coop. So in the example I mentioned in the blog post about a fireball that freezes the enemy and rains down boulders on it, that’s actually 3 spells connected together into one. (I believe he had it set up so that the next spell would be called when the previous one hit its target.)

VinsanityV21 said:

November 17th, 11:58 am

Awesome! Been looking forward to this since I heard about it on…. something. God, was it Rock Paper Shotgun? Was it mentioned on an episode of Good Game or GG Pocket? Y’know what? I can’t remember anymore. Doesn’t matter – it looked and sounded super awesome and along with Runic Games’ Hob, Rain Games’ World of the West, and Secret Legend, I am super excited to see all these super colorful, incredibly charming action-adventures coming up on current consoles! Its like a mini rebirth for the genre, one that’s near and dear to my heart since playing Beyond Oasis on the Genesis, and Secret of Mana on the SNES, back in the day :) This is another one that just sounds super promising and is almost certainly going to be a day 1 purchase for me – I can’t wait! (^-^)

Dan Adelman's Avatar

Dan Adelman said:

November 17th, 1:42 pm

Thank you for being excited! We are too!

We’ve been written up in RPS, Dtoid, The Escapist, Engadget, and a bunch of others. But the thing about press is that if you miss the article on the day it goes live, it quickly disappears into the ether! :) If you were at PAX or PAX East, maybe you saw it there? (The PSX build is *much* better than the PAX build, though, so if you saw it at either of those events, I highly encourage you – or anyone else – to try the latest and greatest.)

One other place you may have seen it was Kinda Funny. I was able to show it when I unveiled Axiom Verge for Vita. I also showed a build of Chasm there. Kinda Funny are awesome people and huge PS fans (obviously) so as soon as I showed it there, I already knew we wanted to launch it on PS4!

Robe_meny82 said:

November 17th, 5:26 pm

From Italy, here.

Will have a multilingual localization? Maybe just a subtitles?

Say “yes, of course”, please. I don’t want to miss this game.. looks so cool!

Dan Adelman's Avatar

Dan Adelman said:

November 18th, 6:21 am

Localization into multiple languages is definitely part of our plan. We’re in the process of getting bids. There’s a good amount of dialog in the game, so it won’t be cheap. :)

Robe_meny82 said:

November 18th, 8:09 am

I am pleased to hear these words. Thank you for answering :)