Final Fantasy XV

Dec 03

Dec 03

Classic RPG Ys Origin Coming to PS4, PS Vita on February 21, 2017

Jessica Iragne's Avatar Posted by Communication & Marketing Manager, DotEmu

Hi there! It’s Jessica from DotEmu. For those who don’t know us, we specialize in modern releases of beloved retro games. Our mission is simple: give every gamer access to yesteryear’s classic video games on today’s platforms.

Today we’re thrilled to announce the return of Ys Origin on PS4 and PS Vita! Originally released in 2006 for the PC market in Japan, this epic action RPG is now back 10 years later (Happy Birthday!) with a well-deserved rebirth on PS4 and PS Vita — the perfect consoles to host this relaunch.

New Exclusive Features

For the return of Ys Origin on PlayStation platforms, we decided to bring new features and enhancements while staying true to the series’ original spirit. Because the game has been “PC only” so far, our main objective was to create the best-possible console experience without devaluing those precious PC roots.

The biggest changes we made were to optimize the visuals and effects and improve the UI and menus so that players can enjoy the full HD widescreen experience. After several months of hard work, the game looks very nice and we really hope you’ll like it!

Moreover, for the pleasure of gamers worldwide, we also wanted to localize the game in as many languages as possible. Thus, the game will be available in Japanese and English via the amazing work on the 2012 PC version by XSEED Games, but also — and for the first time ever — in French, Italian, German, and Spanish.

Ys Origin

The Godfather of JRPGs

The Ys Series has a special place in our hearts at DotEmu. Since 2014 we’ve been working with Nihon Falcom on several Ys installments, and we really wanted to explore an Ys Origin console version. Nihon Falcom liked the idea and gave us the green light. To say we’re thrilled and proud to work on this great Japanese action-RPG saga would be an understatement! Plus, this episode was especially important to us because it’s a prequel to the entire series, and so a bit different from the other installments.

Epic Boss fights are a big part of the Ys saga, and Ys Origin perfectly reflects this. Discover each boss’s pattern and use attacks, spells, and skills until you’re victorious. It’s sometimes hard, but oh so satisfying!

Ys Origin encompasses all that we love about JRPGs: epic stories, endearing characters, fabulous gameplay, and a beautiful soundtrack.

Save the Goddesses, Save the World

The Ys saga is rich and engaging, and the story of Ys Origin is unique since it takes place 700 years before the events of the first episode published in 1987. Following a devastating demonic invasion, the twin Goddesses use their magic to bring the inhabitants of legendary Ys safely into the sky. While the demons work to construct Devil’s Tower and reach the humans’ new abode, the Goddesses disappear. You must seek them in Devil’s Tower and reveal its secrets.

In Ys Origin, you don’t play as Adol — instead, you can choose between two characters with their own attributes and stories. There’s Yunica, a talented, mighty warrior who’s adept with the axe, and Hugo, a cunning sorcerer who uses powerful spells to defeat his enemies.

Time for you to gear up, gather your courage, and save the world of Ys from the comfort of your sofa — or during your workday commute. Get ready, Ys fans. Ys Origin comes to PS4 and PS Vita on February 21, 2017!

Add Your Own

Asshawk said:

December 3rd, 12:42 pm

Is it getting a physical release?

Jessica Iragne's Avatar

Jessica Iragne said:

December 8th, 12:32 am

Hey! It’s not planed yet but I will let you know if we do it!

Lancer205 said:

December 3rd, 12:48 pm

Hope this leads to the possibility for other Ys games on the PS4.

MapleStory said:

December 3rd, 12:50 pm

Ok, this may be the best news released today so far. I ADORE the Ys franchise, having played through almost the entirety of the series along with various remakes/updates of the earlier titles. Hell, I even beat Ys: The Vanished Omens on my Sega Master System for my dad (much to his delight), who got stuck in Darm Tower in the late 80’s but still had the save file intact nearly 20 years later! haha

Thank you guys for bringing this over to consoles!

Jessica Iragne's Avatar

Jessica Iragne said:

December 8th, 12:33 am

Thank you very much for your support, we’re pretty excited as well to bring this classic to PS4 and PS Vita!

Vinland_Krauser said:

December 3rd, 12:59 pm

Please consider bringing over the other Ys games (Napishtim and Felghana)!
Also, besides Falcom, can you tell us about more companies we can look forward to in terms of classic series you’re working on, or at least interested in porting in the future? Maybe SNK titles?

Jessica Iragne's Avatar

Jessica Iragne said:

December 8th, 12:39 am

We would love to bring other Ys games to PS4 and PS Vita!

Currently we are also working on Windjammers (more infos here: https://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/12/03/windjammers-returns-on-ps4-and-ps-vita-with-online-multiplayer/) and Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap (a remake of Wonder Boy III, totally hand-drawn redesigned) .

RyuZX said:

December 4th, 11:54 am

I was hoping they would respond to you. If they were able to get access to Konami’s back catalog that would be awesome.

YoungLage said:

December 4th, 6:17 pm

Felghana is already at the PlayStation Store… At least, for the PSP and PS VITA. Are you wanting a PS4 release of Felghana? Then asks XSEED for it.

Kishnabe said:

December 3rd, 1:00 pm

Thanks so much, Have the PC version. I though this will never come to Console….

Got burnt again like Bastion….but happy none the less.

Nicco555 said:

December 3rd, 1:19 pm

Europe?

Alucard-XII said:

December 3rd, 1:27 pm

Any chance of porting the PSP games on PS4? Oath in Filghana, Ark of Napishtim and Seven.

Traingham said:

December 3rd, 1:31 pm

Took em’ long enough!

gerneric123 said:

December 3rd, 1:31 pm

Will the Vita version run at 60fps? This an old game.

gerneric123 said:

December 3rd, 1:33 pm

Also, you should bring 5 and 6 to Vita. Only mainline entries you can’t play on it after this!

PHINX55 said:

December 3rd, 1:55 pm

For me the best news of the day, subtitles in Spanish almost made me cry of happiness :D

Jessica Iragne's Avatar

Jessica Iragne said:

December 8th, 12:45 am

Thanks for your support! We’re happy to add some new languages to the game :)

perrandy said:

December 3rd, 2:14 pm

woah,what happened to xseed?

xKyon90x said:

December 3rd, 2:39 pm

SUB MULTI5.
I’m SUPER happy! *_*

lisatsunami said:

December 3rd, 3:09 pm

Buying this, thanks.

FreeRPGer said:

December 3rd, 3:31 pm

Indeed, is this getting a physical release? I sure hope so.
However, I just may break down and get this even if it’s only as DLC.

DustyBlue said:

December 3rd, 3:53 pm

I **** MY PANTS WHEN I SAW THIS!!! You guys have no idea how psyched I am to see Ys come to PS4… This is amazing. If you port the other games, you have my money, day 1!

Jessica Iragne's Avatar

Jessica Iragne said:

December 8th, 12:48 am

haha! Glad to see how excited you are about this announcement! We are also really enthusiastic to bring this classic to PS4 and PS Vita and would love to bring other Ys games in the future!

GearThird_Luffy said:

December 3rd, 5:15 pm

So does this mean I can pick between English, Japanese, French, Italian, German, and Spanish text options if I buy a US version of the game?

iriihutoR84 said:

December 3rd, 5:28 pm

Awesome. Really stoked to play this one. Like many others here I’d love a physical release but I’m excited to play it either way.

Souledge94 said:

December 3rd, 5:51 pm

shmyazoo2 said:

December 3rd, 6:38 pm

Ys games are always fantastic! I have played most of them already and I own this title for the PC, but I love that it’s coming to the Vita and PS4. Hope it gets to be a PS+ Free title for february, like a few other great games in the past.

SOUP_32 said:

December 3rd, 6:39 pm

So excited for this! Physical release on Vita please!

Jotamide said:

December 4th, 12:09 pm

I’m not gonna beat around the bush: whenever I see your logo on releases I always get apprehensive due to the poor emulation of some shmup releases from Dotemu in the past. That being said, I’m pretty sure that neither Falcom nor XSEED had any intention of bringing Ys Origin to consoles. So for having interest in bringing this awesome game to new audiences, I’ll give you guys the benefit of the doubt. Hope this turns out awesome! :D

Jessica Iragne's Avatar

Jessica Iragne said:

December 8th, 12:59 am

Thanks for being honest. Sorry if we didn’t meet your expectations in the past regarding shmup releases but we learned from the players feedbacks and the team worked really hard since then. We really want to make this game (and all the DotEmu next releases) as perfect as possible! Hope you’ll like it :)

DarkAlbireo said:

December 5th, 7:25 am

Ps Vita rules, thanks Jessica Iragne for this game and please keep going making games for ps vita :)

Jessica Iragne's Avatar

Jessica Iragne said:

December 8th, 1:00 am

Thanks a lot for your support! I have a Vita myself and this console is awesome :)

baniann said:

December 6th, 1:31 pm

One of my all time favorite series, thrilled for this news! Would love to see all the Ys games on PSN.

xClayMeow said:

December 6th, 2:06 pm

Will the demo be released for PS4 and PSV as well? There’s a demo on Steam and I’d love to try it out on Vita.

Prof_Icepick said:

December 7th, 9:11 am

Okay, so this means that Ys Seven is finally gonna hit PC, right?

TSTina said:

December 19th, 11:49 am

This is great news! I love the Ys series! I already have all the Ys titles that are available on Steam, plus I & II on Android. But we’re still missing Ys 4, 5, 7, and 8 on PC and consoles. Any chance of porting those to the PS4, PC, or Android? PC would be preferred, since I can run them in 3D via TriDef, but I’ll settle for PS4.

Anger-Juice said:

December 30th, 4:11 am

Are we getting a physical release? I know at least 5 personal friends of mine that would pre-order this day 1 if it ended up being physical. I mean it’s a classic game right? All classic games were physical as was every single other ys game to date. Please make it happen guys you won’t regret it!