Spider-Man PS4

Dec 03

Dec 03

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy: First Screens, In-Depth Details

Dan Tanguay's Avatar Posted by Game Director, Vicarious Visions

We at Vicarious Visions love Crash, and we’re super excited for everyone to play the N. Sane Trilogy. But we can’t fly everyone out to Anaheim to play it in person, so here’s a peek that answers some burning questions. And the biggest question everyone keeps asking us, “Is this a remaster or a remake?”

The answer is not simple.

It’s practically impossible to make a traditional remaster of the original Naughty Dog games. They’re roughly 20 years old, and technology has advanced significantly in that time. The original code and assets are nearly unusable. Nearly.

But we don’t consider this a remake. We know how much you all love the original games, so we didn’t want to fully remake them. The N. Sane Trilogy is a remaster plus.

The first step in our remaster plus was to truly understand what made the Naughty Dog games special and why fans still love them to this day. The best way to understand a game is to play it, and boy, did we play the Crash games. We played them to the point that we broke controllers from mashing the jump button too much. We studied original concept art and commercials for inspiration. And we went even further back to understand the material that originally inspired Naughty Dog, including Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and Looney Tunes.

With all of that in mind, we started our work. Using the original level geometry from Naughty Dog as a guide, we rebuilt the Crash gameplay from scratch, capturing its simplicity and precision. As the levels began to take shape, we layered in our own lush and zany art, animation, and audio.

Let’s see the results! Here are some work-in-progress examples of what to expect:

• Rebuilt levels, based on the original geometry:

Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy, Environment

Another beautiful day at N. Sanity Beach!

• Rebuilt characters, following the original designs:

Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy, Characters

Such a motley crew.

• Rebuilt cinematics, inspired by the originals:

Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy, Cinematic

What a jerk.

Adding New Features

Because this is a remaster plus, we have an opportunity to add features.

Choosing new features is a difficult process. We consider numerous things, including the team’s ideas and fan requests, but perhaps our most important consideration is the evolution of the franchise itself. Naughty Dog learned a lot of lessons on how to refine the Crash formula over the course of making three games. So, the first new features we’ve worked on take the best of each of the games and apply them to all three.

Here are some work-in-progress examples:

• Unified checkpointing & save game system. This includes manual and auto-saving. (Yes, the first game now has a proper save game system!)
  • Unified menu system. Here an example of the Pause menu for Crash Bandicoot:

Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy, Pause Menu

Eagle-eyed readers will notice something special about this Pause Menu.

• Time Trials in all three games!

Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy, Time Trials

The competition for relic times on our team is fierce!

These aren’t the only new features for the N. Sane Trilogy. However, that’s all we’re going to share for today.

Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy, End Screen

Okay, maybe one more peek.

Seriously, though, there’s no time for more. We have to get back to work making the game. (Naughty Dog packed so much gameplay into those original PlayStation CDs!) We hope you enjoyed this taste of the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy, and we’re excited to share more with you soon!

Add Your Own

iZalman007 said:

December 3rd, 10:54 am

Will this be a physical release?

ZanFear said:

December 3rd, 11:25 am

Probably, but let’s hope.

Bryaniswwe said:

December 3rd, 12:01 pm

What I want to see and have always wanted since all three Crash PS1 games was on PS3 is love shown towards the PS2 Crash Bandicoot games. I would love to see more Crash games come to us in the future.

Trannol said:

December 3rd, 7:26 pm

There will be a physical release! If you go to http://www.crashbandicoot.com and click on Pre-Order on the top right corner, you can see the box art and select a country/retailer you’d want to pre-order it from.

Venom1976 said:

December 4th, 10:41 am

I hope this is a physical release. I also agree about the PS2 era games (not all were good though) I would love to see The Wrath of Cortex get remastered. It was good but the loading times were horrendous. Fix that issue and I’ll definitely buy it.

JNolan93 said:

December 5th, 2:19 am

I seriously cannot wait for this. I also hope Sony and Activision give the original Spyro trilogy the same treatment! Imagine those beautiful remastered like these Crash games?!

ED-IS-THE-MAN5 said:

December 5th, 11:23 am

Want a physical release too. But, I WILL buy a digital release if I have no choice. I Love these great 3 Crash games. 83

junibond said:

December 3rd, 10:59 am

Looking forward to it! Always loved the Crash Bandicoot series :)

MatrixEvo17 said:

December 3rd, 11:00 am

I love Crash’s in-game model in this! Will the visuals be touched up by release and will the soundtrack remain intact?

wwwdotjames said:

December 3rd, 11:01 am

I must have this… If they have a collectors edition with a cool statue of Crash I will pay anything for this masterpiece! I will buy even if they don’t have a collectors edition but it would be really awesome if they did, right?

EmperorKorea said:

December 3rd, 11:05 am

Is this exclusive?

CrispyBoomstick said:

December 3rd, 6:34 pm

It’s a Sony franchise, so yes….

ZanFear said:

December 3rd, 10:54 pm

Sony doesn’t own it anymore though… Activision does. Unless Sony paid a lot of money for its exclusivity rights, which I think they’d do if they did it for Street Fighter 5 lol.

MGS4_80GB said:

December 6th, 5:01 am

The primary publisher to the PS1 games was actually Universal Interactive, with Sony (SCEA) only co-publishing. After the PS1 games, every single Crash Bandicoot title has been available on non-Sony platforms, and some titles even skipped the PlayStation 3. Through mergers and acquisitions, Universal Interactive and their IPs became part of Activision (which is now Activision-Blizzard). I highly doubt this trilogy will be exclusive, especially after seeing the copyright information at the end of the trailer.

Tatonka-boy said:

December 3rd, 11:07 am

I seen something about a March 2017 release.

toyabrown said:

December 3rd, 11:07 am

Finally! Crash is back!

cowmamba said:

December 3rd, 11:19 am

*sniffle* We want Crash on the Vita too!

noct3crystal91 said:

December 11th, 4:31 am

do you think we could give them money to make a port for the vita? :( cause i seriously doubt they will make one. ive been aching to play crash on my vita for a long time

brn-dn said:

December 3rd, 11:20 am

I hope this game does well enough for the Spyro trilogy to get the same treatment! I would buy both!

Renan_Acid said:

December 3rd, 11:49 am

Ditto! Spyro needs to come back!

mosannam9696 said:

December 3rd, 8:18 pm

I would pay a couple hundred dollars to have Spyro get this exact treatment.

ZanFear said:

December 3rd, 11:27 am

This looks so beautiful and modern enough to be great fun. :D

iZalman007 said:

December 3rd, 11:27 am

I saw a website reporting that you can switch between the old and new graphics. Can you confirm or deny this?

motwera said:

December 3rd, 2:09 pm

Wait, what website?
    Care to provide a source?

Torracat83 said:

December 3rd, 11:45 am

Can’t wait!

Trendy_Kid said:

December 3rd, 11:47 am

Activision posted a trailer on YouTube for those interested. It looks amazing!

Renan_Acid said:

December 3rd, 11:48 am

THANK YOU SO MUCH for bringing Crash back! The trailer looks great, my only complaints are that Crash’s face looks a little weird (kinda like his Wrath of Cortex model), I think you should have reused his Skylanders model, but with a smaller head to match his classic proportions, and the floor in Temple Ruins looks weird, kinda like a placeholder texture.

The cutscenes look gorgeous, though, and the music sounds pretty good (although I still wish Josh Mancell was involved).

Please oh please give Spyro the same treatment! He deserves to have his own series back!

One question: Is this game exclusive to the PS4?

MGS4_80GB said:

December 6th, 5:04 am

No, it is not exclusive and Sony cannot advertise it as such because that would be considered false advertising. Activision is the sole publisher and copyright owner to the trilogy. Expect it to release on Xbox One, PC, and Nintendo Switch.

Kishnabe said:

December 3rd, 12:13 pm

Please on Vita too. We got Classics like Sly, Ratchet and Jak. Crash deserves to be on the list too….along with Spyro( the one before Skylanders ruined him).

Renan_Acid said:

December 3rd, 7:31 pm

Agreed! Or at least let us enjoy the classic PS1 versions, for goodness’ sake. :( Europe has had these games playable on the Vita for years now.

IAmInfinitus208 said:

December 4th, 1:37 pm

Yes,definitely! Since we can’t play the original trilogy on the Vita nor Spyro,we need it there on the Vita! Vita all the way!!

noct3crystal91 said:

December 11th, 4:33 am

omg yes!! :(

Marcio2 said:

December 3rd, 12:46 pm

Please keep the original voices of all the languages and the soundtrack. ;)

joyrul96 said:

December 3rd, 1:01 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOO
Where’s Crash Team Racing? AKA the best Kart racer of all time ? :( Dissapointed but oh well this will do for now

Vinland_Krauser said:

December 3rd, 1:03 pm

Please consider doing a “remaster plus” of Crash Team Racing (PS1) too!

lunchroom said:

December 3rd, 9:51 pm

This!!! Crash Team Racing online would seriously be amazing!

Kensei_the_Storm said:

December 3rd, 1:06 pm

Is there a price yet?

mosannam9696 said:

December 3rd, 8:19 pm

Yeah you can pre-order it on the store. $40.

Teflon02 said:

December 3rd, 1:10 pm

Hope all new crash team racing or a remaster is made. It’s still to this day one of the greatest games I played. But I want a new one, the way the items etc were in the first were perfect Imo.
That being said, games coming out great and glad they all got a proper save system. One other thing I wonder the outcome for. With crash 2 and 3 one of the things that bothered me is that in 3 you had continuing momentum when you let go of the sticks making jumping on boxes a bit difficult in comparison to 2. Not a big deal but switching between the 2 games it throws you off

ZanFear said:

December 3rd, 1:15 pm

What I find interesting is that the trailers never say “Only On PlayStation”, and that’s probably on purpose. I get the feeling that Activision will want to bring this to Xbox One down the line. I know I know, the more gamers who can play it the better… but as a PlayStation fan, it just seems so wrong for Crash lol.

Welmosca said:

December 3rd, 11:10 pm

No no the “the more gamers who can play it the better” crap don’t fit here.Crash is a PS franchise even though lame activision owns it now I really hope Sony worked up some contract with them to make it exclusive to PS forever.If this remaster comes to x-*** I may be so disappointed to the point of not buying day 1.

Spacerac said:

December 5th, 1:50 pm

For the ones after Bash, I don’t care. But the original 5 Crash games should always be PlayStation only.

TurtMan said:

December 3rd, 2:00 pm

CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR CTR

Sean_Pierce said:

December 3rd, 10:55 pm

YES Crash Team Remaster Plus is all there is to make this remaster plus series a full circle!!

lamachok said:

December 3rd, 2:30 pm

Guys, make Collectror’s Edition or someting else. P L E A S E !

Marcio2 said:

December 3rd, 2:47 pm

Is the demo of the Playstation Experience available on the Playstation Store already ? I don’t find it ^.^

Crashesdios said:

December 3rd, 2:54 pm

As a childhood fan of Crash Bandicoot i just wanted to say this remaster is everything i could’ve hoped for on a remaster of the three first games. This is basically my most anticipated videogame release ever and you’ve pulled it off perfectly, so i can only congratulate and thank the team behind this trilogy. I can’t wait to play this, please show us Crash 2 and Warped as soon as possible!

rootedpsm said:

December 3rd, 4:00 pm

Please add “Turkish Translation”

tahu360 said:

December 3rd, 5:33 pm

I hope the time trials are optional and not a requirement…

Souledge94 said:

December 3rd, 6:09 pm

wow this looks good.

lunchroom said:

December 3rd, 9:55 pm

Thank you for bringing Crash back! <3 Love the graphic update, but, most importantly, I love how you guys stayed true to the originals' gameplay.

Sean_Pierce said:

December 3rd, 10:53 pm

CRASH TEAM RACING Remaster Plus NEEDS to happen. What I’m seeing so far for the N. Sane Trilogy is exactly what I imagined for a PROPER and FAITHFUL Crash remaster, which I’m no question buying DAY ONE.

Please do the same for 1999’s Crash Team Racing. This is a beloved gem of mine to my family and having this game given a modern shine (plus online!) would be a dream come true. To this day we still play 3-4 players and I can imagine that we will do it for generations to come with a remaster fir CTR.

Welmosca said:

December 3rd, 11:06 pm

100% agree.

Welmosca said:

December 3rd, 11:04 pm

OMFG!!!!!!!!!! I can’t believe ma eyes,I had tears of joy while watching that trailer.I thought this would simply be the original 3 games as they are with PS1 graphics but miraculously in 1080p playable on PS4,I cannot believe you guys are truly “remastering” them,holy crap it looks gorgeous.I cannot believe you guys are using all the original things…original designs of characters,original geometry,I literally thought this was impossible to happen in this reality,cuz all devs to this day messed up in remastering old games,they always change things and mess up…but you guys are like,its like y’all read ma mind and made exactly what I wanted.This is a true “remaster” and every single dev out there that wants to remaster something should learn from this.

I’m a huge Crash fan but HUGE huge fan,I have memories with Crash that means a lot to me so I’m really really happy to see this…so much that I can’t believe its happening.

Day 1 buy and please retail release.

BTW Vicarious Visions is about to enter to the top 10 best devs,Seriously what you guys are accomplishing here deserves some serious recognition.

Xdark_dragonX said:

December 4th, 8:59 am

Looks awesome for an alpha build!!! Really hoping for a Collectors Edition or even a regular physical box version

maverator said:

December 4th, 9:48 am

So it’s a remake. But apparently the word “remake” is bad for sales, so you invent “remaster plus”? SMH

Spacerac said:

December 5th, 1:51 pm

Well Insomniac called Ratchet and Clank 2016 a “re-imagining,” so.

LongLiveYhocZ said:

December 4th, 4:47 pm

I wonder if they’ll be available separately.

Spacerac said:

December 5th, 3:51 pm

No, that’s stupid.

ComedicPause said:

December 5th, 5:55 am

Absolutely beautiful. There are so many ways that this could’ve gone wrong, but I see you’ve pretty much avoided all of them. Many devs would’ve strayed so far from the Naughty Dog games because they think they could improve upon perfection. You guys stuck to the roots of Crash, and I’m frankly amazed that you did. The make or break (buy or don’t buy) factor for me though was the characters, and Crash finally looks and acts like Crash should look and act. Cortex and Brio are also captured perfectly. I’m glad you guys seem to have as much affection for the classics as I do. So glad you didn’t use the Skylanders model.

Wut up with N Tropy’s face doe?

NightsbIood said:

December 5th, 8:00 am

Holly… This looks stunning. I even went further to make an account to tell you guys this. I’m Buying a PS4 just for this game.

I think the team behind Vicarious Visions have a great sense of what the fans wanted with this remake: To preserve te original escence of the games and at the same time adding feats that doesn’t affect the original gameplay at all (the new time trial for example). I also loved that you guys decided to make a crash bandicoot render that is more close to the original than the Skylanders version.

So I’m really happy with this, I’m looking forward to get a Collector’s edition or something if you guys decide to make it and I really, really pray to get the same treatment for the BEST kart game of all time: CRASH TEAM RACING and to the original trilogy of Spyro.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english and really thanks Vicarious Visions :)

LeandroDiFini said:

December 5th, 10:26 am

This would have been great on Vita, indeed.

brayipas1 said:

December 5th, 1:51 pm

They should remake or remaster CRASH TEAM RACING (CTR) it’s a really nice game,

CoolRichy007UK said:

December 9th, 12:48 pm

Caugh what about other countrys sony and activision the eu uk & Australia havnt got this pre order added yet to ps store and uk and Australia are huge fans of crash bandicoot just like the awesome usa so activision please dont forget about crash bandicoot for the eu uk and Australia ps store’s or it will just look bad but as long as the eu uk Australia pre orders get added to ps store aqap as quick as possible you will make alot of gamers overseas very happy :) including this bandicoot mega fan

Rythenarutoninja said:

December 10th, 7:18 pm

That work in progress af N Trophy with that sinus infection. Good job regardless guys. Just be sure to read feedback ; ) We have a lot. BUT YOU’VE DONE A GOOD JOB AND WE CAN SEE YOUR HEARTS ARE IN THE RIGHT PLACE <3