God of War

Dec 03

Dec 03

WipEout Omega Collection Revealed for PS4

John McLaughlin's Avatar Posted by Senior Producer, Sony XDev

Attention, FX350 pilots: get ready. You’re about to race.

WipEout is back!

Known for its blistering speed, iconic music, and pure multiplayer mayhem, WipEout has appeared on every PlayStation format since 1995 — and it’s now set to rip through the air on PS4 and PS4 Pro.

The WipEout Omega Collection brings together all of the anti-gravity racing track and ship content from WipEout HD, Fury, and 2048. All three are remastered and they look stunning in dynamic 4K and HDR, running at a targeted 60 frames per second.

WipEout Omega Collection, 04

There are nine modes available in total:

• Zone, Tournament, Speed Lap, Time Trial, and Single Race from HD
  • Zone Battle, Eliminator, and Detonator from Fury
  • Career Mode from 2048

WipEout Omega Collection, 05

This spans more than 26 unique tracks and 46 unique ship models, which sees the return of all of your favorite ship manufactures. Play with your friends, either with split-screen local multiplayer, or online with up to eight Anti-gravity Racing league pilots.

With graphics that have been enhanced to take advantage of 4K displays, WipEout has never looked so good — but we haven’t just focused on visuals. We’ll have an all-new, thumping soundtrack for you to race with, featuring a few classics as well as tracks from the hottest up-and-coming artists. WipEout Omega Collection is a feast for both your eyes and ears.

WipEout Omega Collection, 09

Keep checking back for more Wipeout Omega Collection news in the coming months.

Add Your Own

iZalman007 said:

December 3rd, 10:48 am

Will this be a physical release?

Kaijukodan said:

December 4th, 9:00 am

And I JUST bought Fast Racing NEO on WiiU because I assumed we’d never see another Wipeout!! This is great news!!

December 3rd, 10:51 am

Best news! Zen racing is back!

BrodiMAN said:

December 3rd, 11:04 am

Yes!!! Yes!!! Yeeeeeeessssss!!!

This is the best news ever!!! I’m going to run towards the nearest person and give them a big hug!!!! This is awesome!!!!

Anndrej said:

December 4th, 2:11 pm

^basically my reaction too

boxmyth said:

December 3rd, 11:19 am

And here is my good reason for finally getting a PS4 Pro and 4K TV in 2017.

Robbie_G_lrish said:

December 3rd, 11:19 am

WipEout HD and Fury are my favourite racing experiences. I just couldn’t get the proper precise control needed on the Vita with 2048. I wonder how the team at R8 feels about this with Formula Fusion on the way.

Feisar said:

December 3rd, 11:21 am

YES!!!!! YESSSSS!!!!!

megacarlos said:

December 3rd, 11:21 am

#starhawk remaster

Dr_Awesome81 said:

December 3rd, 11:32 am

If this doesn’t get PSVR support it will be a huge missed opportunity.

notoptimus said:

December 3rd, 12:25 pm

for me this would be the reason to get psvr

TWO-FAST said:

December 3rd, 6:03 pm

I can’t believe they left it out. How was VR not considered? I’m actually here because I heard that it was announced and I did a google search to see if it had VR support.

Wahrnye said:

December 3rd, 11:36 am

Yawn. Wipeout HD and Fury came out 7 years ago and already ran at a smooth 1080p/60fps on PS3 hardware. In other words, I can fire up my PS3 right now and play two thirds of this “collection”. Outside of Wipeout 2048, the only major ‘upgrades’ will be 4K and HDR support which is a very small minority of people right now given the pricetag of those sets that support both well. For most people, they’re going to see very little difference between PS3 HD/Fury and this remaster. So unless Wipeout 2048 is really well done, this is the epitome of a cash grab and not worth much more than the current going price of HD/Fury on PS Store for PS3 – which is $16 combined. Anything more than $20-$25 for this collection is a ripoff.

siriusbee said:

December 3rd, 11:41 am

Yeah, but now you don’t have to mess about with switching on the PS3, see? It’s right there on your PS4, no dawdling about, no slow ass XMB experience. Just that makes this totally worth it.

Nevermind 2048, which I’ve always wanted to play.

Rezznak said:

December 3rd, 12:44 pm

oh shut up, and get over yourself. This is one collection that’s a blessing.

THANK-YOU Sony!

Shona-SoF said:

December 3rd, 1:03 pm

And what if if someone doesn’t own a PS3 or Vita? Get over yourself.

Piat420 said:

December 4th, 7:13 am

Actually if you really knew what you were talking about you’d know HD/Fury both ran in a flexible resolution, downscaling whenever the action became too intense. Which could become noticeable online, due to human players being much more ruthless than the AI. So I imagine this will hit full 1080p the entire time

Teqonix said:

December 12th, 12:48 pm

Think about it from a preservationist aspect, though – for users that no longer have PS3’s or their Vitas but still want the fantastic visuals and gameplay of these games, this is totally worth the money.

Not to mention that the x86 platform they’ve ported the games to will have much better backwards compatibility than the Cell architecture on the PS3. Engineers likely had some hard work in porting from one CPU architecture to another, so I’d say $40-$60 easily makes sense for this collection, and that’s coming from someone who purchased Wipeout HD, Fury, and 2048 seperately on the old platforms.

siriusbee said:

December 3rd, 11:38 am

Best news all month. Love it.

GODFantomas said:

December 3rd, 11:57 am

This is interesting since Psygnosis/Liverpool Studio has been closed. Who is managing those assets? Must be previous wipeout developers. I literally henkaku’ed my ps TV to play 2048 on my huge HDTV screen, and even a vita version of this game looks gorgeous on the big screen. I just can’t wait to see how a remaster of a 2048 will look like on 4k!
Amazing news!

Piat420 said:

December 4th, 7:14 am

All owned by Sony and there are several studios dedicated to remastering games these days

UnHappyKillMore said:

December 5th, 8:16 pm

Most of studio Liverpool got absorbed into xdev. And also it might be possible for them to continue the wipeout project that was been in development for about a year(depending on how well wipout omega selks I guess) before studio Liverpool’s demise.

McDomination said:

December 3rd, 12:07 pm

Thank you, whomever made this possible!!!

Twiztedmind602 said:

December 3rd, 12:17 pm

Sooo Stoked!! Can’t Wait. Thank you Sony for bringing this line back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

INTVGene said:

December 3rd, 12:31 pm

LOL. Wut? No VR support? I guess PSVR is going the way of the Vita, eh? Nice job, Sony.

Sponge-worthy said:

December 3rd, 1:01 pm

Would love to see the tracks from XL resurrected.

AgentX said:

December 3rd, 1:18 pm

Awesome news! I’m very excited to hear this is coming to PS4.

I’d like to suggest to the developers that they include Racebox mode, so that we can set up our own custom races. This would especially be good for the Wipeout 2048 content, since the original PS Vita game lacked Racebox mode.

Blkant said:

December 3rd, 1:20 pm

Easily the happiest news to come out of PSX to me. I really hope care is put into remastering it. PSVR support would be a huge bonus also! :)

Blkant said:

December 3rd, 1:24 pm

If your looking for other PS3 titles to give some love don’t forget Warhawk, R:FoM and Demon’s Souls! ;)

RiSeN1 said:

December 3rd, 1:37 pm

I need this now.

muteki99 said:

December 3rd, 1:38 pm

Where the hell is the VR support?

Gamzinga said:

December 3rd, 1:57 pm

Holy crap I can’t believe this is happening. It’s insane and almost unbelievable how many games that people once thought would never happen are actually happening. Thank you Sony and whoever else was involved with bringing the best WipEout games to the PS4.

TigerClaw305 said:

December 3rd, 3:52 pm

I hope they add support for online multiplayer in all the games, I know WipeOut HD does.

HH_Li said:

December 3rd, 5:00 pm

Why don’t just give us a simple thing call “Backwards compatibility”?

thehatteryone said:

December 13th, 10:01 am

If it was simple, we’d have it. It is complex, and may be impossible to give 100%. So they didn’t.

BigKJeff1980 said:

December 3rd, 6:45 pm

Welmosca said:

December 3rd, 10:42 pm

Oh yet another recycled crap,yet another game taken from the poor Vita.Sony Sony you should be ashamed of your greed.

Get Studio Liverpool assembled again and make a new Wipeout for PS4…thats what we need,not more recycled games.Feel sad for all the sheeps not only supporting this crap but also excited with it lol.

Gosha_ua said:

December 4th, 2:54 am

Kaddyshacks said:

December 4th, 3:49 pm

I was hoping we’d see 2048 or HD/Fury get ported to PS4. Didn’t expect all of them. This is going to be incredible!

SpooNManX said:

December 4th, 10:37 pm

There better be PSVR support for this… If not then I blame Trump.

LeandroDiFini said:

December 5th, 10:25 am

I remember playing WipeOut for Vita and having tons of fun. This should be good.

barrylegg said:

December 5th, 11:52 am

Request to devs – please, please, please keep the soundtrack *instrumental only!*

Vocals / lyrics/ singing in soundtracks to racing games (especially Wip3out) detaches you from the game and you end up having the narrative of the song in your head as opposed to the atmosphere of the game. It also throws translation / language barriers between players.

Please, again – no singing. PLEASE.

barrylegg said:

December 5th, 12:02 pm

Also – get Spin design to do the identity. They are, in many ways the present day version of Designers Republic.

ihabelnaccash said:

December 6th, 9:21 am

Actually the present day version would be r8 games / formula fusion, (still in development) but this is still a welcome to my ps4!

Vextalon said:

December 7th, 7:54 am

Mirror tracks are my weakness.

BigSneekDogg said:

December 11th, 9:05 am

Wont be the same if Xpander isn’t on the soundtrack

Mr_Blakemore said:

December 18th, 6:55 am

I literally had tears rolling down my face as I watched the trailer. Think of the DLC possibilities. We may finally see every team and track from the franchise under one roof by the time this is done, dependent upon how well it sells. Not one complaint from this fan, as always I’ll support it. I finally have a legit reason to buy a PS4..THANKS, SONY!