Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward

Jan 18

Jan 18

Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception and Mask of Truth Confirmed for 2017

John Hardin's Avatar Posted by PR Manager, ATLUS

Say it with me: Ooh-tah-wah-ray-roo-mo-no. Now say that faster. Faster! Got it? Good. (I wonder if PlayStation.Blog gives out awards for “Most Difficult Game to Pronounce.”)

Get ready to dust off your trusty ol’ adventure boots and lose hours of sleep! Why? Because Atlus will be publishing the latest two of Aquaplus’ visual novel/SRPG epics, Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception and Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth (also known as The Two Hakuoro in Japan) in the Americas beginning Spring 2017 (Mask of Truth will be released later in the year).

These sprawling epics are going to chew through time, as they have tons of story to reveal, but you won’t mind because the story is incredible, plus there are fantastical beasts to fight, powerful magic to unleash, political machinations to partake in, intriguing characters to meet, and mystical lands to explore. Heroes never rest! Especially since the fate of the world depends on you… so no pressure.

Mask of Deception follows the story of Haku, a mysterious amnesiac who awakens in an unfamiliar wilderness wearing nothing but a hospital gown and sporting a splitting headache. He’s rescued by a beautiful girl named Kuon, who sports both adorable animal ears and a beastlike tail.

They eventually team up, and Haku will (reluctantly) encounter colorful characters (yes, that means more animal people), build deep relationships, battle ruthless enemies, and find himself inexorably dragged into the political machinations of the mighty nation of Yamato.

The game is a grand tale that unfolds in a stunning visual novel format. Seriously, the magnificent art style and epic soundtrack (recorded and remastered at the legendary Abbey Road Studios and EastWest Studios) will make it feel like you’re watching a cinematic fantasy unfolding right before your eyes. Except this isn’t a movie, it’s a game that you’ll be in control of on PS4 and/or PS Vita! What better way to pass the time during school/work than getting lost in a new world? Okay, don’t actually play the game during school or work, but you have my full support if you wanted to break out the PS Vita during break/lunch.

And because I know you’re already writing out a comment below without reading to the last paragraph, let me go ahead and answer your burning question: yes, PS Vita is getting a physical version in the Americas.

In addition to the story-rich visual novel aspect of the game, Mask of Deception boasts an SRPG battle system and deeply rewarding combat. You’ll need to defend Haku and his friends by engaging in intense battles with the various hostiles that populate the world.

Combat is an exciting mix of turn-based tactics and Attack Chain mechanics. Plus, unique features such as the rewind function, elemental affinities/weaknesses, unique character skills, and more add a layer of depth to fights. Mask of Deception is a 40-50+ hour adventure that sets up the story for a thrilling conclusion in Mask of Truth, and we’ll reveal more information about the final game at a later date.

We’re going to be launching the game in the Americas on PS4 and PS Vita in both physical and digital formats; the European PS4 version will have a physical release, but the PS Vita version in Europe will be digital only. Mask of Deception will launch in Spring 2017, and the game’s direct sequel, Mask of Truth, will hit later in the year.

Both games will have English text and the original Japanese audio. The PS4 version will be $49.99 ($64.99 CAD), and the PS Vita version will be $39.99 ($54.99 CAD).

Add Your Own

DaivRules said:

January 18th, 6:10 am

LOVE the Vita physical releases!! Keep them coming!!!

TrueAssassin86x said:

January 18th, 6:16 am

Demo for Ps4? Because for me games like this require a demo before i throw my money at it. NO DEMO NO BUY.

John Hardin's Avatar

John Hardin said:

January 18th, 8:40 am

That’s uh…That’s a first.

IDK if there’s going to be a demo, but I’ll check and see.

Maestersword said:

January 18th, 6:21 am

You could look up Twitch streams or Youtube videos instead

TrueAssassin86x said:

January 18th, 6:24 am

Nah i rather try it myself then watch other people play it ;)

Seluhir said:

January 18th, 6:40 am

wow… ‘no demo no buy’ – well, enjoy missing out on a ton of amazing games then. :)

veryhoudini11 said:

January 18th, 9:37 pm

Beside the fact that you are trolling this and you probably wouldn’t have purchased this game regardless. But why would you need a demo of a visual novel? And how would you demo a visual novel? I think you seriously lack rational thinking.

smythelove said:

January 25th, 12:17 pm

lol I’d love to play a demo too because sometimes it’s all story and no gameplay, but this sounds like it has both which is cool!

Maestersword said:

January 18th, 6:20 am

Will it be PSTV-compatible?

John Hardin's Avatar

John Hardin said:

January 18th, 8:25 am

I don’t know why it *wouldn’t* be, but I’ll ask our production guys for clarification when they get in.

ChrisTARAN said:

January 18th, 6:28 am

No mention of the content change here, John? Not cool. Both the content change and you not mentioning it that is.

John Hardin's Avatar

John Hardin said:

January 18th, 9:27 am

We did have to make a small content edit, but it was in order to comply with various regional regulations about the depiction of physical discipline to minors.

It’s a small edit to a minor scene and we worked with AQUAPLUS to reach a compromise to keep the original intent while not running afoul of said regulations.

Fluttershy4Pres said:

January 18th, 8:01 am

Why don’t you tell people what the “content change” is instead of being a jerk to everyone? After googling “utawarerumono mask of deception content change” your comment was the first thing to come up, so it’s clearly a very small issue that people don’t know about. I was able to find that they changed a scene that depicted abuse to minors. Could be a big deal, might not be, but instead you have to create drama and be the center of attention.

razisgosu said:

January 18th, 12:27 pm

Agreed, I am very curious about the content change in question. The scene could have been altered in many ways, covering the butt completely, altering her facial expression, removing the impending hand slapping said butt, removing the red from the bottom, etc. I’m sure the scene will play out the same, but I want to know how the CG is being changed.

Seluhir said:

January 18th, 6:42 am

Enjoyed the anime, will probably give the game a try. Spring is pretty loaded though, so might not be at release.

YoungBlaise said:

January 18th, 6:46 am

Seems interesting I’ll keep an eye out for this :D
Also hooray for the Physical Release on Vita!

TrueAssassin86x said:

January 18th, 7:11 am

Enjoy play it on a device no cares about

Seluhir said:

January 18th, 8:29 am

Assassin, clearly at least ONE person cares about it since this person is happy, so ‘nobody’ is factually incorrect. ;)

Welmosca said:

January 19th, 8:10 am

@ Seluhir – He’s too ignorant to even consider that.

incpdo said:

January 18th, 6:51 am

Amazing ! I’m looking forward for this . Both games physical releases . This is a strong year for the vita for Japanese rpg fans. Thanks for supporting or Vita island!

TheWintendoHii said:

January 18th, 6:54 am

Thanks for bringing over more games to the West and retaining the original Japanese voice overs! Atlus has my full support, will be buying both games on release!

TomHoang said:

January 18th, 7:14 am

I love the words “Vita Physical Release!” Happy to add another physical Vita visual novel to my collection. Also happy that the original Japanese audio isn’t being replaced with an English dub.

vengeful_uchiha said:

January 18th, 8:40 am

Nice, will this game have cross-save? I am assuming yes, but doesn’t hurt to ask, as I will be picking up both versions.

John Hardin's Avatar

John Hardin said:

January 18th, 9:26 am

I’ll have to check I think that was our intention, but I recall production saying there might be an issue with cross-save.

sockerps said:

January 18th, 8:44 am

Awesome! Looking forward to getting these. I got Tears to Tiara 2 day 1 before and enjoyed it as much as the animes. Thank you for the Japanese audio!

John Hardin's Avatar

John Hardin said:

January 18th, 9:26 am

Tears to Tiara II had an amazing combat system.

sirdano1 said:

January 18th, 8:46 am

*Underwater Ray Romano

John Hardin's Avatar

John Hardin said:

January 18th, 10:54 am

Ooh, the water loom. Oh no!

Seluhir said:

January 18th, 10:50 am

Ray Romano is how my wife and I remember how to pronounce it too lol

mrbutabara said:

January 18th, 8:52 am

Nice. I was contemplating on importing these games but this saves me the trouble. Anyone know if the limited editions are coming out for these?

CodyM22 said:

January 18th, 9:35 am

Thank you Atlus for bring over these games. I have the import versions. They are really awesome games. I can’t wait to play them all over again. Never in a million years did I think they were going to be translated to the US audience. But, you went ahead and did it.

american_36 said:

January 18th, 9:42 am

First of all GOOD JOB on the writing of the article. Whoever did it, it’s always a joy to feel the passion in every word^^

Second: Of course I’m gonna buy both games. I watched the anime, liked the story and am a fan of japanese SRPGs so that’s a given really.

Thanks also for bringing the game over. It’s easy to take that for granted, but it’s not, so thanks again. Bye-ho!

deadendblues said:

January 18th, 10:28 am

I am looking forward to this game, looks great. I love that it’s on both systems, probably cross save can’t remember, however curious about cross buy? I would love if there was some sort of digital discount in buying both games… I would be more likely to buy it if there was would preorder for it?

AbyssPersia87 said:

January 18th, 10:45 am

nice !!!

will there be a Limited Edition for these games ?

Seluhir said:

January 18th, 10:49 am

Also, please tell me that the ending doesn’t have to be the same as the anime… I don’t know if I can stand hurting Kuon like that…

Kami-Kani said:

January 18th, 11:18 am

You might want to wait until both games release then. Because the ending of the most recent anime is the end of Deception.

Seluhir said:

January 18th, 11:22 am

Aw… I don’t know if I have the heart to actually CONTROL that…. my soul can only take so much. Watching it was bad enough.

Twin_Pie said:

January 18th, 10:56 am

This isn’t the RPG Atlus teased a few weeks ago, right? That’s something they’re actually making, not just publishing, I believe. Also, SRPG = Strategy RPG?

John Hardin's Avatar

John Hardin said:

January 18th, 11:13 am

“Tease” isn’t exactly the word. I think there was reported leak due to an errant ESRB listing or something :\

And yes, Strategy RPG.

Kami-Kani said:

January 18th, 11:15 am

And here I was, teaching myself Japanese so I could play these games, due to thinking they’d never get localized. This really exciting!
So just standard editions then, no LEs? I have both of the JPN LEs they’re super nice, very good quality.

Kami-Kani said:

January 18th, 11:21 am

PS: every time an Aqua Plus game gets localized an Onkamiyario gets it’s wings. Js.

Kami-Kani said:

January 18th, 11:27 am

Oh I totally agree. I’m just hoping something good comes out between the two so that I can get distracted from that ending. Might save P5 until then or something.

John Hardin's Avatar

John Hardin said:

January 18th, 11:27 am

Friendly reminder to not post potential story spoilers ^____^

Seluhir said:

January 18th, 11:45 am

Honestly, your post should’ve talked about how it falls in line with the anime… since there are two vastly different anime storylines at different timelines, and knowing which of those the games are related to could be a big selling point, and knowing where it falls in the relevant timeline could ALSO be a big selling point. But… if you don’t want people to know that your loss I suppose.

At least I got to read the answer before the post was moderated…

perrandy said:

January 18th, 11:31 am

i love srpgs and this is up my alley.excited to play this when it comes out

Kishnabe said:

January 18th, 11:58 am

Awesome keep the Vita support up. List of games to get it getting high….can’t keep up with the backlog

BasakaNZ said:

January 18th, 12:38 pm

This is great news! I spent 40+ hours on the first game then a whopping 80+ on the second for the record. Excited to be able to actually talk to people about the games!

Probably not buying the EN version as I already got the LEs of the JP games, but thanks for bringing this out west!

SebaMaks said:

January 18th, 1:15 pm

An option to change text to japanese would be nice.

Dinchman said:

January 18th, 3:12 pm

Honestly stopped reading after the first sentence, when you mispronounced it and then proceeded to imply the demographic of such a game wouldn’t know how to pronounce it anyway.

Kinsbar26 said:

January 18th, 4:40 pm

I’m very happy about this news and I will 100% buy these two games, but this brings up the question will we get to play the first game? I watched someone play the game before and I fell in love with the series and I must have watched the animated series several times, I would love to experience that again with the first game!

SebaMaks said:

January 19th, 5:17 am

The first game was released for PC, PS2 and PSP only in japanese. There’s an unofficial english translation patch available for the pc version. The battle system and some other aspects of the game were revamped for the PS2/PSP version, but if you’re in for the story the original PC version is more than enough.

giftederic said:

January 18th, 6:04 pm

nice !!!
will there be a Limited Edition for these games ?

Reaper-Mists said:

January 18th, 7:24 pm

Ooooohh!! Can’t wait for this game. Saw the anime version to it and I loved it !

RSevo09 said:

January 18th, 10:08 pm

Atlus is killing it with Vita games this year. Caligula, Valkyria, now the 2 Utawarerumano games. Just need Dungeon Travelers 2-2 then it’ll be the best year ever.

Also I might be wrong but these games are a lot more VN than SRPG. This means bestonvita.

YATO_U said:

January 19th, 9:52 am

copy physical for LATIN AMERICA

PS VITA PLEASE

Tessariel said:

January 22nd, 12:16 am

I’m really happy to see both of the Utawarerumono- games. Please, please confirm that they are PlayStation TV- compatible

smythelove said:

January 25th, 12:19 pm

Love Altus playing PersonaQ and getting crushed but finding
Out the status effects like Poison work really well!