God of War

Feb 03

Feb 03

PS4 System Software Update 4.50 Features Detailed

John Koller's Avatar Posted by Vice President, PlayStation Brand Marketing, SIEA

Starting today, those of you selected for our beta program will get an early peek at some of the new features coming to PS4 with our next major system software update, version 4.50 (codenamed Sasuke). If you signed up for the beta and were chosen, you’ll receive an email with instructions on how to download and get started.

Even if you’re not participating in the beta, we still wanted to give you a quick glance of the key features that will be rolling out with this update. We’re refining the user interface of PS4 even further, and adding highly requested features like external HDD support and custom wallpapers.

External HDD Support

It’s easy to upgrade the HDD that came with your PS4, but if you’re still looking for more storage space on the console, we’ve got you covered. With this update, you have the option to store content to an external HDD. Just plug a USB 3.0 HDD into your PS4, and voilà, you now have more space on the console.

PS4 System Software Update 4.50 external HDD support

This is compatible with HDDs up to 8TB in size. You can download and install applications directly to your extra storage, and the saved contents are easily manageable through the settings menu.

Also, all the applications saved in the external HDD will appear in the Content Launcher of the Home Screen so it’s easy to keep track of what apps you launched recently.

Please note: user save files are still stored locally on your PS4 HDD. Only games and applications are stored externally.

Custom Wallpapers

This update adds the ability to set your favorite in-game screenshot as the background image for PS4’s home screen. Drop-shadows on text, and the option to dim the Function Area, will help keep the system icons and texts on the home screen clearly visible even if the background image you selected is super bright.

You can also edit screenshots using Photo Mode in Sharefactory to make your one-and-only custom wallpaper.

Quick Menu Refresh

As you may know, in the last system update we overhauled the PS4 Quick Menu feature (the menu that appears after a long press of the PS button on DualShock 4).

This update brings additional improvements to make it even more accessible. Now the Quick Menu will cover even less of your gameplay screen, and you’ll be able to access handy Party features via Online Friends, like creating new parties, inviting friends, and joining parties, without transitioning to the separate Party app. The goal is to keep you in the game — and not stuck in menus.

Simplified Notification List

Before this update, the Notifications app had a variety of tabs on the left-hand side, like Game Alerts, Downloads, Uploads, and more. We’ve condensed all of the tabs to a single simplified list, making it easier to see all of your notifications all at-a-glance.

You can also quickly access the Notification settings from the Options Menu to turn off or customize which pop-up notifications appear on your screen, so you’re only being notified about your top priorities.

Post on PlayStation Network Activity Feeds

We’re adding the ability to post directly into the Activity Feed, which appears in a variety of places across the console, including What’s New. Under What’s New, you’ll see a new option to post things like text, screenshots, and gifs directly into your Activity Feed. You can also tag games or other users to make sure they don’t miss your post. It’s a great way to show off your greatest triumphs.

Tying into this new feature, Live from PlayStation will show screenshots that users uploaded to PSN as a Public Activity, so you can show off your best gameplay moments not only to your friends, but to users around the globe.

3D Blu-rays on PlayStation VR

If you’re a fan of 3D movies, and you own PlayStation VR, we’ve got good news — this update adds the ability to view 3D movies in stereoscopic 3D directly on the PS VR headset. Grab some popcorn and enjoy!

There are more features included in 4.50, so make sure to keep an eye out for additional info, including launch timing, in the weeks to come.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 11

EzkaBeche said:

February 3rd, 6:31 am

This is the best upgrade so far! HDD up to 8T? Pretty Awesome huh! Also the Wallpaper thing. Very nice.

lele1620 said:

February 3rd, 6:31 am

what type or specs when it comes to external hard-drives that well be able to use after update ?????????????? your kind of vauge

February 3rd, 6:44 am

They told you. A USB 3.0 compatible external drive.

PsYchO-gamerHDX said:

February 3rd, 6:32 am

OMG yes! Now is there a way to add custom music on top if your chosen wallpaper? Cause a custom wallpaper with Rez-infinite dynamic music is the BEST!

Savvaman_21 said:

February 3rd, 6:34 am

I have an idea you should add the simplified notifications bar to the quick menu also could you add a feature that would disable the touch pad.But over-all great update keep up the good work!

EagerSnake said:

February 3rd, 6:37 am

What about adding videos as custom wallpapers? That would be amazing.

February 3rd, 6:45 am

Slower UI (Y)

EagerSnake said:

February 3rd, 8:04 am

Yeah, I know, but still, that would be amazing.

Gideon said:

February 3rd, 8:27 am

I don’t buy the slow UI excuse. We have fully rendered 3d motion backgrounds. Surely that would take more resources than a video clip

silverleo9166 said:

February 3rd, 6:37 am

I applied for the beta when there was sign ups for it and I did the other one but never got accepted. What’s the criteria? I have PS+ and have had an account from ps3 days x

February 3rd, 6:46 am

Probably chosen at random. They don’t care if you’ve done it before or how long you’ve been with them.

Bel0kk said:

February 3rd, 6:37 am

YES!! I have been asking for these features forever. Thank You!

Biopunk-X said:

February 3rd, 6:38 am

Am I dreaming? External hdd support? Custom Wallpapers?:) Thank you Sony so much!

AJMA1224 said:

February 3rd, 6:38 am

That’s great news! Especially the external HDD Support.
Does anyone know if an USB 3.0 common HDD will affect game performance? Do we need a solid state HDD to experience games in full?

February 3rd, 6:46 am

A standard 3.0 should be fine.

DbA2011 said:

February 3rd, 6:40 am

Not at all keen on making the notifications list more messy!

EmperorKorea said:

February 3rd, 6:42 am

NARUTOOOO!!!

SASUKEEEE!!!

SaintNobody said:

February 3rd, 6:44 am

Any idea if/when we’ll get HDR pass through support on PSVR when playing non-VR games? Or is it a hardware limitation. That’s the #1 thing I was hoping for in this update.

February 3rd, 7:00 am

Need to buy some third party device to get it.

Band2eto said:

February 3rd, 6:45 am

Great work, Sony + Firmware team!

Zoey1983 said:

February 3rd, 6:45 am

Most of this stuff, except for the “All in-one Notification-List” sound great – especially tje support of external HDD’s.

Yet, there’s still no option to clear/delete the “Error report” section in the System menu? – Booo!

pabowler300 said:

February 3rd, 6:47 am

does this mean you can play your purchased games off of your external hard drive?

February 3rd, 6:51 am

Sure.

BongJockey said:

February 3rd, 6:51 am

For heavens sake, will we ever be able to simply have a comment on our profiles like on PS3? Just talking about a sentence, not even as big as a tweet.

omegazio said:

February 3rd, 6:51 am

Keep the features coming.

IILeGiT_GhOsTII said:

February 3rd, 6:56 am

Ugh… All I wanted was was Online ID (PSN ID) Name changing could Careless about the other stuff whoopdie doo External HDD yay who cares delete stuff you don’t play or get a 2TB. Custom Backgrounds really? I like the Idea but PS3 already had that, PS4 should’ve had that from the Start. Give us PlayStation Online ID name changes please.

February 3rd, 6:58 am

I can see why you’d want that.

khivang2005 said:

February 3rd, 7:00 am

1. Please add an option to turn off light bar.
2. Please add an option to remap button only in PS menu for Asian consoles (they have inverse X and O and it is not consistent between in-game and PS menu).

Imp3rialAlt said:

February 3rd, 7:00 am

When will it be released?

joca221 said:

February 3rd, 7:01 am

External HDD support is great, but people…. 3D Blu-rays on PlayStation VR!!!! So many of us that own the VR have been asking for this and it’s going to happen!!! Yay!!!!! Now I want to go buy me some 3D Blu-rays!!!

SuicideSkull said:

February 3rd, 7:03 am

Will this fix share play? I havent been able to use share play since the last big update and its really annoying cause I have great connection 105/20. PLEASE PLEASE FIX THIS. Im not the only person who has this problem.

February 3rd, 7:05 am

Could be WiFi or the other person has terrible internet & is also using WiFi.

SuicideSkull said:

February 3rd, 7:22 am

We are both wired and both have good internet. What I dont get is I can connect to him when he host share play but if I host he cant connect to me. Share play was working perfectly for me before the last big update. Sony upped the upload requirements from 2 to 5Mbps but that shouldnt matter since I have a 105/20 connection.

Dontshoot_oo7 said:

February 4th, 11:00 am

Being having same problem can’t host share play but can join others.. Speeds are way over requirements still no luck. I’m using separate router and modem, tried with no router and didn’t work either. Friends using Comcast all in one modem/router have no issues. Wondering what everyone else that is having issues modem/router setup is.

Ronnieded said:

February 3rd, 7:05 am

Great update! External needed to be done ages ago!
I still wish PS4 could store personal photo and video just like the PS3 did!!!!!

KILLZONE79 said:

February 3rd, 7:06 am

Yes finally! Now we can all forget the databank option! For awhile now I’ve been researching for bigger 2.5 hard drives and databank options but now with this huge news about external hdd support, I’m super excited now :)
Thank you Sony, you guys are awesome :)

mwatcher said:

February 3rd, 11:21 am

Ya, that Nyko Databank product will definitely be discontinued soon :)

Omega92-Rundown said:

February 3rd, 7:09 am

This is great! Most everything on my wish list. The only thing i could want now is to get all my ps1 classics from my ps3 on my ps4. That would make everything heavenly!

DX2800 said:

February 3rd, 7:15 am

One question with External Hardrive support . Does this mean I can play the game off of the external hardrive without moving it back to system storwge?

February 3rd, 7:18 am

Probably.

Kevingaming_ said:

February 3rd, 7:16 am

Please add 3D SBS Video support.

StormRaging said:

February 3rd, 7:17 am

Not a fan of the simplified notification list. I only ever view the downloads tab and now that’s going to be mixed in with everything else I don’t want to see. Props for finally entering the 21st century and adding external HDD support.

YUPgiveitback said:

February 3rd, 7:18 am

Can we have our DARK/BLACK NOTIFICATIONS back, please? OPTION to switch between white and black would be nice.

YUPgiveitback said:

February 3rd, 7:19 am

YES – Black. Give it back. (Go to Options to switch black/white.)

YUPgiveitback said:

February 3rd, 7:20 am

NO – I like my forced white notifications and I like to pretend dark/black notifications never existed before on PS4.

February 3rd, 7:21 am

whatswrongwithyou.gif

JHBlueWolf said:

February 3rd, 7:18 am

Hey Sony how about Bluetooth headset can’t you just allow other headset to connect like the PS3 it’s been like four years now since the ps4 been out

bbsftw said:

February 3rd, 7:19 am

awesome for External HDD support hope there is more in the official release, sad i didnt get in 4 beta so far for PS4 and havent gotten into any of them :/

elchorno said:

February 3rd, 7:20 am

Me neither bbsftw, I’m just as unlucky as you :-(

bbsftw said:

February 3rd, 7:47 am

@elchorno maybe we’ll get in during the second wave XD can only pray and hope

bbsftw said:

February 3rd, 1:41 pm

checked email and saw i got in :D so maybe you got one too *pray*

elchorno said:

February 3rd, 7:19 am

*Finally* External HDD support (I’ve been using a 2TB HDD in my PS4 since 6 months after launch, but still have to juggle for space) and 3D Blu Ray support for VR!!

Souledge94 said:

February 3rd, 7:23 am

wait so now your game install can be saved on the external?

BravoLima said:

February 3rd, 7:25 am

Has the issue of PSVR screen drift been addressed?

Ravenclaw_21 said:

February 3rd, 7:25 am

Love the new external HDD support. but still would love to be able to change my PSN ID

frankadilac247 said:

February 3rd, 7:27 am

Cool update, but I still haven’t got the Notification on my console, is it not available for everyone or what ?

February 3rd, 7:30 am

It’s in Beta. Can’t you read? It’ll be out for other soon.

RenzokuFC said:

February 3rd, 7:33 am

Is still in beta, and even if you signed up theres no guarantee for you to be included (gosh, I have 3 PS4s, all different models and they didn’t include me)

Wheaties91 said:

February 3rd, 7:29 am

Thank you for the HDD support.

RenzokuFC said:

February 3rd, 7:32 am

Any chance of getting an option in the quick menu to delete devices? (controllers). I regularly run tournaments using PS4s and this is a major headache for me having to go to settings everytime.

MakoSOLIDER said:

February 3rd, 7:37 am

Can we please get notifications for when people write in the party chat?

biv0ns said:

February 3rd, 7:37 am

pretty cool. almost as cool as allowing me to play all of the PS1 classics I bought on my PS4 would be

drd7of14 said:

February 3rd, 7:41 am

I would love to know if my external HDD can be moved, with access on my account of course, to multiple PS4s. Any thoughts on this PS Family?

I would love to be able to go to my friends house, or my mom’s, with my PS4 external HDD, and not have to redownload said games. I just continue where I left off, without the need to download them, worry about PLUS, or anything. Just ready to go!

drd7of14 said:

February 3rd, 9:00 am

Also curious to see how this will undoubted effect loading times, but that’s expected. As long as everything runs fine. I expect some games may have to be patched/not work fully with this in mind, but the majority should be fine. Just longer loading times. Looking at you Bloodbourne. :P Anyways, truly great news though. Keep up the good efforts.

Ujn said:

February 3rd, 7:44 am

FINALLY!!! External HDD Support!!! You guys are my HEROS! Now I can finally have ALL of my games on my System without having to micro-manage what to delete and re-install when I have the urge to play something different!!! Too much to ask this of my old PS3??? This was the number one reason why I switched to Xbox One for all of my new game purchases, but now I can finally go back to my PS4! So excited!

JackAttackzilla said:

February 3rd, 7:45 am

It’s a great update, loving it! BUT when are we going to be able to change our PSN names?! Pleeeasseeee Young me regrets “JackAttackzilla”

Syrlis said:

February 3rd, 7:47 am

Awesome news all around. Now that PSVR is getting 3D Blu-ray support. Can we get more games with 3D support on the PS4. Starting with updates to Uncharted 3 and Arkham City. Please and thank you.

Miesiu01 said:

February 3rd, 10:19 am

3D is supported the only in:
    Zen Pinball
    Sniper Ellite III
    Trine 1 & 2
    Arcade Pinball – the only ONE table
    DEVELOPERS!!!
    Where are games for 3D stereoscopic on the TV-set with 3D ???

February 3rd, 12:36 pm

3D games are very stressing on resources. You’ll probably get 540p – 720p while using it.

CompLex_2kG said:

February 3rd, 7:48 am

I hope they will change Profile Home Page design. Now it has a tiny small profile avatar picture and it’s blurry. It has to bigger like before 4.00 FW

KazeEternal said:

February 3rd, 7:50 am

The notifications menu sounds like a downgrade. Having everything split up made it easier to find what I was looking for, what to ignore till I was ready for it, and more. Having my game notifications burying my downloads and uploads status is not a good thing. Were you guys running out of usable memory or something? Please tell me this is an optional move. I’ll take a slightly laggy is over losing something that has made my life easier.

samv33 said:

February 3rd, 7:52 am

This is a good update, thanks. Suggestions for the next one: the ability to play audio CDs and video chat. Two things I miss from the PS3.

QUICKSILV3R_com said:

February 3rd, 7:53 am

merry christmas every one!

leocadia26 said:

February 3rd, 7:53 am

This update its very cool but there is something that PlayStation needs its Changing are Gamer Tags or Online ID I will be so happy if they add that on the next update Please PlayStation Please

selfdeztruction said:

February 3rd, 7:53 am

WHAT! (breathing heavy) custom wallpaper (gasping), external HDD support (breathing heavy), 3D BD in VR (rapid panting). YES! YES! YESSSS….(I need a cigarette now.)

mottogamoto said:

February 5th, 4:29 am

but only with pysicall discs :( what about the digital content :(

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 11