PlayStation VR

Feb 08

Feb 08

Play the Original Psychonauts for Free with Rhombus of Ruin Pre-order

James Spafford's Avatar Posted by

Community Manager, Double Fine Productions

Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin is heading to PlayStation VR on February 21, in a new standalone chapter of the Psychonauts saga that takes us back into their mysterious and paranormal world for the first time in more than ten years.

As we’ve previously mentioned, Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin continues the story where it left off back in 2005, with Raz, Lili, Sasha, Milla, and Coach Oleander flying off to rescue Truman Zannotto, the Grand Head of the Psychonauts.

We’ve designed this new adventure to be as fun for long time fans of the series as it is for new players — meaning there’s no need to know what happened to these characters before now. Naturally though there are some parts of the story that will make more sense if you’re already a fan, and so we wanted to give everyone the chance to catch up…

Thanks to a little help from our friends at PlayStation, we’ll be giving everyone who pre-orders Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin the original PS2 Classic Psychonauts, now on PS4, for free! PS Plus subscribers will also receive an additional bonus 10% off the full price of $19.99.

The pre-order starts today, so you can get your free copy of Psychonauts! Then on February 21 you’ll be all caught up and ready to embark on a daring rescue mission straight into the heart of the Rhombus of Ruin — a mysterious part of the ocean as deadly as two Bermuda Triangles back to back.

Watch our brand new launch trailer to get the best glimpse yet into our new puzzle-adventure game, Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin.

Add Your Own

PARTEE said:

February 8th, 8:04 am

I’m liking the price. How long is an average play through of the game?

James Spafford's Avatar

James Spafford said:

February 8th, 9:53 am

detictiveconan is correct, we’ve found most people spend around 3 hours playing through :)

detictiveconan said:

February 8th, 9:27 am

I saw one preview that said it’s about 3-4 hours.

axemtitanium said:

February 8th, 9:31 am

An average playthrough without a guide will take 10-12 hours. A completionist run took me about 30 hours.

iamtylerdurden1 said:

February 8th, 10:47 am

So, if u have PS Plus it’s only approximately $17.99 and u get the PS2 on PS4 version of the original Psychonauts free? Extremely tempting. A couple questions that will influence my decision of whether or not to buy..

Did u utilize the PS4 Pro’s enhanced capabilities for Rhombus of Ruin? Will there be a Pro patch?

Does Rhombus of Ruin feature a platinum trophy?

Is Rhombus of Ruin playable only on PSVR?

If there is no Pro patch will boost mode improve performance?

Did Tim Schafer or Lee Petty have any involvement in Rhombus of Ruin? Love those guys.

Will there ever be a physical version of Rhombus of Ruin? Are you confident that Rhombus of Ruin is a good VR game?

nikrel said:

February 8th, 8:07 am

That is a great deal! Thanks. Just purchased and looking forward to playing both!

glassmusic said:

February 8th, 10:12 am

I just tried to preorder but am again having problems with the Store. I changed the CC being used from the default, and then it asked for the security code. I entered it. It told me I was wrong. I checked, and it was asking for the security code for the *wrong card*—it was asking for the code from the default card instead. Frustrating, but whatever. I enter the code for THAT card. It’s still telling me I’m wrong. Forget it, I’ll try PayPal. Nope, my account is already locked so I won’t be able to purchase anything for at least a few days.

What is wrong with the web store? I have issues like this all the time.

iamtylerdurden1 said:

February 8th, 10:52 am

I’m excited that DF is supporting PSVR. I absolutely love my PSVR, but it will help my decision and help me influence others to buy if u answer my questions above.

MisterJumpMan said:

February 8th, 12:07 pm

Been looking forward to this! Great to see a preorder actually giving some appreciable bonuses; a discount and free game are both excellent :)

Keep up the good work DF

Victoryismine52 said:

February 8th, 3:26 pm

I would have loved a dynamic theme or something considering I already bought Psychonauts but oh well still grabbing anything PSVR related at the moment. Resident Evil made me realize that I’m starved for good VR content. I played through the whole thing in VR and loved it.

starBlinky01 said:

February 8th, 7:10 pm

Hey guys, this is just a warning to those interested im getting the original game.
The port for PS4 is unplayable.

There is a substantial amount of lag (graphical and input lag). This has been documented in forums around the web.

I love double fine but this is not something that should have passed QA.

starBlinky01 said:

February 8th, 7:14 pm

Oh yea! i forgot some stuff

The audio DOES NOT sync with the animations at all. Theres a massive lag. So all cut scenes are garbage..
    Audio sometimes cuts out completely..

The game is a buggy mess. Do not waste your time with Psychonauts for ps4.

Elvick_ said:

February 9th, 9:17 pm

Unplayable my foot. And iirc, these are issues on PS2 anyway.

The plat forming issues are just problems with the game itself, plenty of people harp on the plat forming on various platforms. Particularly on some fence things at the final level and double jumping barely working. As good as the game is, it had problems at its Core. (Ignore the weird spaces in plat forming too lazy to fix on mobile)

Hopefully 2 rectifies the wonkiness of the original.

Elvick_ said:

February 9th, 9:21 pm

Wish it was physical too. At least a limited release or something, don’t even have PS VR but would buy it anyway at retail. Not doing that for PSN only.

Glad there’s more Psychonauts either way.

Tatanka2007 said:

February 10th, 6:08 am

The PS2 version of Pyschonauts is a complete mess. You would think that they would port the vastly superior PC version for PS4. Nope!

Definitely wait for reviews for Rhombus of Ruin. Double Fine is notorious for making games that are fun and innovative for the first five minutes. Despite people who clamor about their titles, most have been huge commercial flops and for good reason.