PlayStation VR

Feb 14

Feb 14

Vikings — Wolves of Midgard Launches March 28 on PS4

Peter Nagy's Avatar Posted by Creative Director, Games Farm

Heill ok sæll, PlayStation fans! Some of you may remember the announcement of Vikings — Wolves of Midgard back in June 2015, and I’m here today to share new, fresh details.

Firstly, we’re excited to announce that the wait is almost over as Vikings — Wolves of Midgard will launch March 28 on PS4.

Vikings — Wolves of Midgard is a combat-focused action RPG set in the shadow of Ragnarok — the end of days. When the Jotan begin to unite the Fire and Frost Giants under their flag in preparation for their march on Asgard, they cross paths with an outcast clan of Vikings called the Ulfung, the Wolf Clan. You arrive from the winter hunts to find your village in ruins and under attack from the Jotun. The old chieftain lies dead in the aftermath of the conflict and only a handful of survivors remain, leaving you to rebuild your home while fighting against the forces of evil that would doom the nine realms to oblivion.

To challenge the endless evil forces, your fully customizable Viking warrior or shieldmaiden will have to master several weapon styles and magical abilities as you battle increasingly challenging enemies and boss encounters. Combat styles include sword and shield, two-handed hammer, staff, bow, and dual axes. You’ll also collect resources and special runes on your adventures. Use the game’s in-depth crafting system to upgrade your equipment.

Dedicated explorers will also be able to find fragments of legendary armor and weapons tucked away in each of the levels to unlock the most powerful gear in the game. Alongside items and resources, the other key resource you’ll be harvesting is blood, used to level up and earn Gift points, which in turn unlock special powers called Gifts of the Gods.

Arguably the most important ability in every player’s arsenal is Rage mode, where you descend into a bloodthirsty rampage, enhancing many of your stats and abilities and granting several other bonuses. Just like your other abilities and weapons, Rage can also be upgraded for added effects, like ignoring enemy defenses, rendering you immune to environmental hazards, or increasing the rate of critical hits.

Enemies of all shapes and sizes are tough enough, but the boss encounters will force you to think tactically, with quick reflexes and perfect management of your abilities required to win. Even the environment is against you — freezing cold, poisonous fog, and scorching heat are just some of the hazards that can cause damage, slow your movements, and other detrimental effects. We call this the Exposure system, and to combat it you’ll need to find safe zones to balance out your vitals — such as campfires when exploring colder climes.

If all that is sounding like the odds are stacked against you, then you’ll be glad to know that we’ve also included support for two-player online co-op, which we’ve found is great for redirecting the blame when it all goes wrong.

Aside from the main campaign, we’ve included New Game+ mode so that you can progress your character to the maximum of their abilities, master all the available weapon sets, and collect every last bit of gear. And then there’s The Trials of the Gods, a mode where you can earn extra special rewards like new equipment and runes by surviving against waves of monsters and bosses.

We’re in the final stages of development with Vikings — Wolves of Midgard, and we’re doing everything in our power to make the game the best it can possibly be. We’d love to hear what you think, so please do get in touch in the comments below!

Add Your Own

SYD_ said:

February 14th, 7:36 am

Looks good!
Co-op??

SYD_ said:

February 14th, 7:37 am

Oops I just read 2 player co-op really wish it was 4 :/
    Still cool tho.

iamtylerdurden1 said:

February 14th, 4:12 pm

Wasn’t this the dev that criticised PS4 Pro? I’m curious if this budget game will have a Pro patch, but i won’t ever buy a new copy, maybe used… The things ppl say have consequences.

KagatoAC said:

February 14th, 7:55 am

Looks kinda Diablo-esque, Not that thats a bad thing. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out.

Ferio23 said:

February 14th, 8:04 am

Looking forward for a local co-op patch, nice game!

Shoryyuken said:

February 14th, 8:26 am

Looks great but how much is it? Full price? $40?

Berae said:

February 14th, 10:24 am

It looks like a lot of fun, not enough diablo type game. Its cool that you had coop but couch coop would have been a lot better

Cloud__Rulez said:

February 14th, 10:34 am

nope don’t remember this…

and PS mods, AVG detected and blocked two, TWO virus exploits while i was just sitting here looking at this blog page….. um…., ya….

Das-Rhino said:

February 14th, 11:17 am

Looking like there are no horned helmets! Finally, someone gets it right. As a Norseman, I haven’t been this excited for a game in a long time!

jerk_man said:

February 14th, 1:04 pm

Ever play Viking: Battle for Asgard?

ElektroDragon said:

February 14th, 1:45 pm

Mr. Nagy, I hope this game is your magnum opus. Because the past history of Gamesfarm developed titles doesn’t inspire confidence. As much as I like the look and concept of this game on paper, you really need to talk about the quality of the experience before I plop down $60 on a game from a smalltime publisher and relatively unknown developer. It’s risky to buy it when Kaylpso has a history of games as awful as Omerta. :( I have had good fun with obscure RPGs from European developers before…. Sacred 1+2, Divinity series, Risen, Arcania, etc. Will this game compare? Is it your tour de force? I just hope its not another travesty like Sacred 3.

iamtylerdurden1 said:

February 14th, 4:15 pm

Just bought Risen 3 enhanced on PS4, any advice?

eightleggedsteed said:

February 14th, 10:51 pm

Really excited for this game on PS4. We need all the diablo-style action-rpgs we can get. The online co-op sounds really cool, but I would absolutely love if you guys include an offline, local co-op mode at some point in the future. Maybe a post-release add-on? I also hope there’s plenty of long-term replayability. I love sinking tons of hours into games like this.

RattimusGordan said:

February 15th, 12:30 am

This looks AWESOME! More Diablo-esque gameplay is never a bad thing! I’ll be picking this up day one

Torracat83 said:

February 15th, 1:02 am

Nice. I’ll consider if the price is right.

Djogginger said:

February 15th, 3:46 am

The game looks interesting, some of the combat reminds me of Diablo 2.I would love to beta test this game and I hope there is more to the game than what we saw or what was posted in the statement. Ship battles would be cool. I probably would not pay 60 dollars for this game. Sorry. I would love to beta test

Gromson said:

February 15th, 4:34 am

Hi, is ther only on-line co-op mode or also local? Diablo supports up to 4 local couch players ;-)

PL

Gromson said:

February 15th, 4:36 am

just read through your comments no local co-op. It sounds vary bad. It is a console world local co-op is a must. ;-)

aterumdominus said:

February 15th, 3:51 pm

Have the devs pushed to show off this game in commented gameplay? Or really went out of way to promote because this game seems radar slipping. I think it looks ok. But considering the March lineup and persona 5, start of April. I would hope to see this game previewed because the trailer feels like it’s hiding the actual play of the game, how big is main story the difficulty, loot system replay value ? Vs other arpgs what is with Minimal choice of class . If it’s 60. Without pre orders and showing the world what’s going on with it. I’ll wait until reviews if it pans out well I’ll grab it. It has a lot of good ideas just not enough footage for it or coverage leaves me leary.

ElektroDragon said:

February 15th, 3:52 pm

Nevermind, I’m pre-ordering based on that video. It’s GOT to be more fun than For Honor. Ugh!

ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

February 15th, 11:20 pm

Diablo 3?

CrustyStrapz said:

February 20th, 10:11 am

This game needs to have local co-op!!! I wish they decide to include local co-op before release date!!
It’s absurd not to!!