Knack 2

Mar 02

Mar 02

Injustice 2: A Quick Look at Character Customization

Sid Shuman's Avatar Posted by Director, SIEA Social Media

Game Developers Conference in San Francisco saw a new chance to go hands-on with Injustice 2, the brutal DC brawler from Mortal Kombat X developer NetherRealm.

But the biggest takeaways came out of a short demonstration of Injustice 2’s robust RPG-style gear system, which revealed some of the most in-depth character customization I’ve seen in a one-on-one fighting game.

There are two main ways to earn gear: conquering opponents in online and offline modes, or by purchasing Mother Boxes using gold earned from matches.

Gear revolves around four main body parts — head, chest, arms, and legs — plus an “accessory” (think Harley Quinn’s pistols). Most gear you collect will buff at least one of your four base stats: Strength and Ability determine the offensive power of basic attacks and special moves, while Defense and Health dictate how much damage your superhero can absorb.

More exotic effects — resistance to environmental damage, earning XP more quickly — come via “augmentations” found on some higher-tier items. Full gear sets, such as Batman’s kryptonite-infused outfit, are likely to be especially prized because they can grant dramatic bonuses when fully assembled.

After playing dress-up, you can apply shaders to alter your hero’s color schemes in some striking ways. A purple-clad Superman? Why not! I’m expecting to see some seriously creative designs here come May.

Beyond gear, players can further customize their character’s fighting style using a new loadout feature. Want to play a Batarang-heavy Batman build, or emphasize parries? The choice will soon be yours.

Otherwise, the game’s brutal, bone-breaking combat will feel pretty familiar to Mortal Kombat X and Injustice fans. Newcomer Doctor Fate brings sneaky magic spells and high maneuverability, but Black Canary might be my favorite so far — she’s a lightning-fast martial artist who hits like a dump truck. I didn’t have a lot of luck in my limited time with Swamp Thing, thanks to his lumbering wind-up attacks and floaty, gravity-defying jumps.

I definitely enjoyed my time with the new Story mode, which seems to serve up a more cinematic, polished presentation. The plot still focuses on a rogue Superman who, still grieving after the death of Lois Lane in the first game, now plans to wipe out all crime no matter the cost.

So far, so good. I’m ready for May 16! Leave any questions you may have in the comments below.

Add Your Own

Avalanche said:

March 2nd, 6:37 am

Can we customize without getting stat boosts? Sometimes i like to look sweet without getting an unfair advantage over someone

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

March 2nd, 8:58 am

Yep, you sure can in Tournament mode.

Blackheart10111 said:

March 2nd, 6:47 am

It looks like if you play Tournament mode the stats won’t be affected.

nem0905 said:

March 2nd, 6:48 am

“Purists can stick with a Tournament mode that reverts all superheroes to their base stats and abilities, while retaining the visual customizations.” Its right there in the article bud.

chenard4 said:

March 2nd, 7:43 am

Did the story mode have customization for the gear?

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

March 2nd, 8:58 am

Yep! Your character earns XP too, so you can level them up independently of gear.

Destroyeroflife1 said:

March 2nd, 9:36 am

Will there be an unranked mode where we can play without stats? I know there is a tournament mode but it is reliant on both people agreeing which everyone may not do. So is there a mode that isn’t ranked where stats are always off?

Also, I don’t really agree with abilities being taken off along with gear. Seems a bit limiting

Welmosca said:

March 2nd, 9:48 am

Exactly…

Welmosca said:

March 2nd, 9:47 am

Damn the graphics are too good…this is a true sequel.Hmm it’s never good this thing of boosting your stats in fighting games,it never goes right…it’s a terrible idea,should’ve kept the customization simply cosmetic which is a plus for fighting games.

It’ll take a while for me to get Injustice 2 though cuz I don’t even have the 1st one yet but I can’t wait to play as the Swamp Thing,his trailer is one of the best character reveal trailers I’ve seen in a long long time for a fighting game…way too boss.

Also hate this thing of different cover art for each thousand versions they make for cash-grab…it sucks that I’ll have to get the damn Superman cover lol.

TheLinuxGuyz said:

March 2nd, 5:27 pm

Will the game’s matchmaking be region locked to the region of the game again? This is quite important for some of us and no information has been given about it yet.

ShadowRezurected said:

March 3rd, 4:47 am

Am I the only one that wants to see a Future Hero DLC pack that features Static Shock and Batman Beyond?