Knack 2

Mar 24

Mar 24

Brutal Action RPG Salt and Sanctuary Hits PS Vita on March 28

Face the danger and mystery of an unforgiving world with Ska Studios' tribute to the Souls series.

James Silva's Avatar Posted by Lead Dishwasher, Ska Studios

It’s been long. But despair not, the wait is nearly at an end.

We launched Salt and Sanctuary one entire year ago on PS4. Our dreary, heavily Souls-inspired 2D action RPG was incredibly well received, and while we’ve been overjoyed and overwhelmed by the range of emotions your feedback held — excitement! Frustration! Enthusiasm! Rage! — we felt your resounding reminder of a promise we made in our very first trailer: that Salt and Sanctuary would come to PS Vita.

We’re Ska Studios, a two-person husband and wife studio that lives somewhere around Seattle, and Salt and Sanctuary is our fourth major game. Salt and Sanctuary is our studios’ heartfelt love letter to the Souls series: a 2D platforming RPG that seeks to capture the danger and mystery of a haunted, unforgiving world, with the freedom of exploration and customization, and the weight of your choices impacting each playthrough in significant ways.

Would you believe we originally were aiming to launch on PS Vita and PS4 at the same time? After all, a complex, deep RPG like Salt and Sanctuary would be a perfect fit for PS Vita. We may have been overambitious — reckless, even! But we think the wait will be worth it, and we hope you’ll agree when Salt and Sanctuary finally launches on PS Vita this coming Tuesday, March 28.

Ska and Sickhead

Salt and Sanctuary for PS Vita marks the first Ska Studios title that, well, we didn’t make! That honor goes to Sickhead Games, the studio behind the console versions of Stardew Valley, Darkest Dungeon, and more. They’re as talented as they are overworked.

We had a small hand in the PS Vita version: nudging some HUD elements here, tightening up the camera there, tweaking an effect or two when we needed to, but our contribution on the project was pretty minimal. The fantastic, talented folks at Sickhead Games were the ones behind all of the low-level, nightmare-inducing logic that will make games like Salt and Sanctuary on PS Vita even possible.

Cross-buy and Thanks

As promised, Salt and Sanctuary will be cross-buy across PS Vita and PS4. If you bought it a year ago for PS4, congratulations: on March 28, you’ll own it on PS Vita!

Of course, a big thank you for your patience and support. No game studio can survive without the respect of its customers, and the last thing we want is to feel like we’re letting you down. You’ve all been so awesome. Keep expunging heretics, making OP builds, doing naked level 1 runs, and abusing glitches.

Above all, keep surviving.

James Silva & Michelle Juett Silva, Ska Studios

Add Your Own

Twin_Pie said:

March 24th, 5:06 am

Bought this at launch, thank you for always keeping us in the loop, even when all you could say was “Be patient, please.” Can’t wait to pick it up again on Vita. Will cross-save be part of the package, either at launch or later?

Twin_Pie said:

March 24th, 5:12 am

Also, how much space will I need to free up on my memory card?

Patsrule0316 said:

March 24th, 5:11 am

I also bought it day 1, and absolutely loved it on PS4. If someone gets it now for their Vita that never played it before, they are in for a big treat!

iamtylerdurden1 said:

March 24th, 8:12 am

Day 1 buyer as well, and i feel as though this and Gungeon are the best indies on PS4. Excited to play this on my Vita.

Will it be a shared trophy list? Cross save day 1? Would’ve loved dlc.

If u enjoyed Salt n Sanctuary look out for two similar games Eitr and Death’s Gambit.

BERT-MACKL1N-FBI said:

March 24th, 5:12 am

Finally! Been waiting for this for so long! The only thing that would make this better is if it’s part of the flash sale today!

MetalGearGod said:

March 24th, 5:14 am

Amazing game! I am very excited to play it again, especially if it has a separate trophy list???

Apollyon_Vice said:

March 24th, 5:14 am

Oh cross by. then im buying this for sure!

HussamFelimban said:

March 24th, 5:14 am

Great news, thank you! Two questions: What’s the file size on Vita? Will it be compatible with the PSTV?

vongruetz said:

March 24th, 12:33 pm

Considering that this port was made by Sickhead Games, and all their other Vita games were PSTV compatible, I’d say there’s a very good possibility Salt and Sanctuary will also.

xxdmcgee2288xx said:

March 24th, 5:24 am

New trophies? That would be so awesome!! I would love to stack this platinum. It is still by far, hands down my favorite indie game on the PS4. Absolutely loved it, and I was very surprised at just how amazing it truly was through and through. The ONLY thing that could have made it better was online multiplayer, but even with the game lacking this, I still give it a solid 9 out of 10. If there’s trophies, count me in! I already bought it on PS4, so I would download it right away on March 28th! However, if no trophies, no incentive. I have quite the backlog on the PS4 and my PS Vita is starting to get backed up, too!

All the same, it was a wonderful game and I had a blast playing through it on the PS4.

vongruetz said:

March 24th, 5:26 am

I didn’t pick it up at launch, but I’m looking forward to giving it a shot now. Game looks great, and I’m also hoping it will work on my PSTV :)

RoD_GX said:

March 24th, 5:47 am

Thank you very very much for porting this game over to the PS Vita and by doing so, also resurrecting that good old hype feeling about an upcoming Vita game — something sony stomped at when Yoshida announced end of official support and left their own device to rot over time.
I supported this game on Steam and will do it again on March 28 – you guys (SKA and Sickhead Team) deserve the best for supporting the PS Vita. Thank you again.

Poly-Gons said:

March 24th, 6:06 am

THANK YOU !!!
Love the Vita !

Berae said:

March 24th, 6:08 am

We are waiting for a sequel to be announce ;) fantastic game

langdon said:

March 24th, 6:13 am

Thank you for this! Time to revisit and get the last 2 trophies I need.

kitler53 said:

March 24th, 6:49 am

thanks! this was what i was waiting for!!

Investor9872 said:

March 24th, 6:57 am

This gem of a game, Salt and Sanctuary, need a physical release on both the PS4 and the Vita.

rudetoy said:

March 24th, 7:00 am

There is a physical release coming, from Limited Run Games

Griever_Ca said:

March 24th, 6:58 am

Awesome, can’t wait! Thank you for not choosing the easy way and cancel the vita version.

rudetoy said:

March 24th, 6:59 am

Limited Run Games is going to put out a physical release of this in the coming weeks, if you don’t like digital.

cusman said:

March 24th, 7:01 am

Wait, co-op was a big part of what made Salt and Sanctuary special. How does co-op work on the Vita? Can two Vita players play with each other?

PS – Do appreciate it being cross-buy

CrusaderForever said:

March 24th, 7:07 am

Such a tremendous achievement! S&S on the PS4 is so good. I didn’t know SKA Studios was a husband and wife team! That makes it even better. Thanks for your hard work.

karocage said:

March 24th, 7:25 am

Very excited – been waiting patiently for this to come to Vita. I can play numerous Souls and Souls-esque games on my PS3/PS4, but having one on Vita is a dream come true! Thanks for sticking with the platform. Day 1 purchase.

Gorvi said:

March 24th, 7:50 am

Awesome! :)

DanteMerfi said:

March 24th, 7:59 am

Out of respect for you keeping your promises, I’m buying the game day one, even though I’m not into Souls-style games.

Zerotex said:

March 24th, 7:59 am

C’mon guys!! Give us better sales! Im waiting 2 weeks for the Ubisoft sale… PSN UK , Xbox Live, STeam and no show for PSN USA. PSN UK Only Playstation Sale is so much better than US :(

Kishnabe said:

March 24th, 9:48 am

Flash Sale is up…go.go.go.

Zen_Hydra said:

March 24th, 8:02 am

I’ve been looking forward to this for a while now. I’ve held off on buying it until the Vita version came out, and I will be happy to hand over my monies on the 28th. Cheers to Ska Studios and Sickhead Games.

Vyprstryke said:

March 24th, 8:10 am

Excellent!!! Looking forward to the Limited Run release!!!!!!

binarydivision said:

March 24th, 8:25 am

This very awesome and demonstrates the appreciation dev’s have for their fans. (Those publishers on the other hand…)

ZanFear said:

March 24th, 8:26 am

Considering games like Hyper Light Drifter, Not A Hero, Moon Hunters, and more get cancelled for Vita, this is very welcomed news.

Kishnabe said:

March 24th, 9:50 am

Thanks for sticking with the Vita Port, and constantly answering our whining for when the Vita version hits.

Gave up on Titan Souls, Volgarr, and Rogue Legacy. Looking forward to giving up on S&S.

deedee1287 said:

March 24th, 10:19 am

Thanks!, bough the game on day 1, played a bit on PS4 but was waiting to play this on the go on the PSV

Claw_Glip said:

March 24th, 11:49 am

Can you tell us more about how the control scheme will work on Vita? I had some trouble with it via Remote Play when I played it on my Vita via my PS4, so I’m wondering how all that will work.

I

AM

SO

EXCITED!!!!!!!!!

Skorol72 said:

March 24th, 3:03 pm

day one for my vita :)

JinZer069 said:

March 24th, 7:33 pm

Definitely want to say thanks to the dynamic Duo, SKA and the One Man PS Vita porting dev Tom.

I will definitely pick up Salt And Sanctuary.

KOTOR4240 said:

March 25th, 11:06 am

I’d rather have Call of Duty: Strike Team come to PlayStation Vita.

markolius said:

March 26th, 5:24 pm

Just want to say thank you for creating this masterpiece of a game, one of my all-time favorites. It was a joy to platinum on PS4 and I’m looking forward to playing it on Vita. SKA Studios is an inspiration. Can’t wait to see what comes next from the Silva duo!

Epsilon-Xero said:

March 27th, 3:57 pm

All I can say is “Thank You”. I’m a day one PS4 buyer, Can’t wait to pick it up again tomorrow. Dishwasher, Vamp, Charlie, and now S&S. I love your work. Keep it coming!

Lumbross said:

March 28th, 9:04 am

How do i redeem the Vita version? Its doesnt show in my Download List.

djsaiyan said:

March 28th, 9:07 am

Cross-buy isn’t working, trying to charge me full price.

SOMAx1990 said:

March 28th, 9:19 am

Cross Buy is flawed. I waited for its release on Vita but the PSN on vita was under going maintenance. so I went on PS4 PSN and bought it and now its asking me to pay again

Literally out of PSN inconvenience Im a**ed out of a Vita game I waited for

WOW

Zen_Hydra said:

March 28th, 9:21 am

I just purchased it with no problems, and it’s downloading to my Vita and PS4 as I type this.

SOMAx1990 said:

March 28th, 9:29 am

What did you purchase from 1st?

Zen_Hydra said:

March 28th, 9:44 am

I purchased the vita version, and both versions were immediately available for download.

SOMAx1990 said:

March 28th, 10:03 am

Yeah the problem is PS4 owners want to download it but cant. Even tho its cross buy.

Zen_Hydra said:

March 28th, 10:28 am

I’m a PS4 owner, and it downloaded for to my PS4 just fine. I’m sure any technical hiccup will be resolved soon. I can confirm the cross-buy is in place, even if some people are having issues with it.

SOMAx1990 said:

March 28th, 10:37 am

No I mean previous owners of PS4 want to download it on Vita but there is no option.
    Its saying pay for it again.

Only Cross Buy is buying it on Vita 1st. But thats not Cross Buy

Zen_Hydra said:

March 28th, 10:46 am

Of course it’s cross-buy. Cross-buy works in either direction. Suggesting that buying it for the vita and getting access to both versions isn’t cross-buy is just silliness. Clearly, there is a minor issue which needs to be addressed before both versions become available for everyone.

the-bear1992 said:

March 28th, 9:47 am

So they say it’s cross buy well I have owned the PS4 version since lunch and now they want me to but the vita version now. is this happen to anyone else??

HeLLeVeN11 said:

March 28th, 10:11 am

Same for me, another thing is that the price differs on Canadian store:

PS4 – 17.99$
    Vita – 23.99$

dr_Drexell said:

March 28th, 10:11 am

I am also having problems with cross-buy. I bought the game within a week of launch on ps4, and now there is no option for me to download onto my formerly useless Vita without paying for the game again. We have waited over a year for this launch, I have dusted off my Vita for this, FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT NOW!!!

Oscar_Rdx said:

March 28th, 10:23 am

Same issue here guy the cross-buy is not working, I bought the game since the 1st week and I was really excited, since this game seems to be perfect for vita.

Zen_Hydra said:

March 28th, 10:33 am

I think we need to collectively chill out.

Some of us are having issues, but not everyone has. I bought it today and the cross-buy worked correctly. I’m sure there is already someone working to correct the issue(s). We waited a year for the vita version to be released, and I’m sure a few more hours won’t kill us.

Asphaltum said:

March 28th, 11:50 am

There is a fix: Delete Salt and Sanctuary from your PS4. Then re-download onto PS4. Check Vita store and download Salt and Sanctuary Vita for free with cross buy of course. Cheers.

Mergal said:

March 28th, 11:59 am

All you have to do is to “rebuy” the game in store for 0$ and you will see it on your vita. Worked for me 100%. Hope it helped someone else :).

kNoWlEdGe22 said:

March 28th, 2:57 pm

I can confirm that this does indeed work. Thanks Asphaltum.