Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward

Apr 12

Apr 12

NBA Playgrounds: Watch the Gameplay Trailer, New Details

Watch the first gameplay trailer for NBA Playgrounds, hitting the court next month on PS4.

Matthew Karch's Avatar Posted by CEO of Saber Interactive

NBA Playgrounds is weeks away from its May launch, and we couldn’t be more excited. This is arcade NBA action with over the top dunks, wicked crossovers, and 3-point marksmen — a perfect pick up and play basketball game on PlayStation 4. When you take the 200+ current and retired players in our roster to playgrounds across the globe, these new tips and tricks should help you master the game. Check out the new trailer here as well to get all the gameplay details.

Shooting and Dunking

Whether you’re shooting 3-pointers, pulling off major dunks, showing off your finger-roll game, or defying analytics and winning with long 2-pointers – timing is key. Letting go of the shoot button at the peak of your shooting motion will not only increase your shot percentage, it will actually give you bonus points if the timing is perfect. The same goes for layups and dunks. This brings an added layer to NBA Playgrounds, where advanced players can be rewarded for learning the animations.

NBA Playgrounds

Lottery Pick System

Pour in enough buckets, and your team will get to spin the Lottery Pick wheel for a short term bonus. Bonuses include super speed shoes, 12 inches of extra height on dunks, a glowing blue ball that increases your shot percentage, and a 2x 3-pointer. Another cool aspect of the Lottery Pick system is that it makes you think twice about pushing down your opponent on defense, as you lose your lottery bar momentum. It’s playground rules, but playing a cleaner game can bring you some good karma.

Defense

Defense wins championships – it also wins a ton of games in NBA Playgrounds, whether it’s against the AI, your friend on the couch, or online competition. Timing your swipes to get steals is key. On the other side of the coin, if you see a defender going in for a steal, that’s the perfect time to pull off a crossover and sprint towards the basket or the 3-point line. A good player will also experiment with and learn the perfect time to jump to block a dunk or a jump shot. Key moments – like when a player is about to shoot a 6-pointer during the Lottery Pick 3-pointer bonus – also call for you to push your opponent down – it’s playground rules after all!

NBA PlaygroundsNBA Playgrounds

Upgrade your Players

NBA Playgrounds rewards winning by giving the player new card packs that unlock new current and retired players. Sticking with a team for a while and focusing on unlocking their XP by playing through games will give those players new moves. Lots of players also have signature moves, so be sure to keep progressing in the game!

That should give you a rundown of the gameplay basics. We’re sure advanced players will find cool metas to the game as they rise up in online tournaments. Stay tuned for more NBA Playgrounds news!

Add Your Own

Dragjae55 said:

April 12th, 8:13 am

I’ll buy it we need more NBA games like this and it’s only $19.99

Rapturesassassin said:

April 12th, 8:13 am

And my may just got a little more busyer. This, Rime, Prey and DreamFall Chapters. Welcome back NBA Street.

Matthew Karch's Avatar

Matthew Karch said:

April 12th, 4:21 pm

Prey looks fantastic. My buddies over at Bethesda have been hard at work on that and I’m excited for it too. But definitely find some time for Playgrounds

IronStorm613 said:

April 12th, 8:28 am

Seems like a lot of fun. May get it down the road. I really miss the look and feel of NBA Street though. V3 was one of my first PS2 games since I got it so late in it’s life.

Matthew Karch's Avatar

Matthew Karch said:

April 12th, 4:23 pm

Street was one of my favorites too. Our impetus for creating Playgrounds was that there was no movement on Jam or Street for so long that we felt this burning desire to fill the void. I would be first on line for another Street game. In fact, we would love to make that too!

Trendy_Kid said:

April 12th, 8:40 am

Omg I am getting NBA Street vibes. ^_^

DZORMAGEN said:

April 12th, 9:21 am

Will the game have Kobe Bryant?

bmikeyp said:

April 12th, 9:30 am

Looks amazing! Any chance of a beta?

Matthew Karch's Avatar

Matthew Karch said:

April 12th, 4:24 pm

Thanks for the good words. We are working out the details for a beta as we speak!

GaMeR_bOi_83 said:

April 12th, 9:59 am

I’m bad at sports game but I wanna play this. Look fun.

DuoMaxwell007 said:

April 12th, 11:58 am

Im interested. But Saber Interactive what Im FAR more interested in is knowing whats up with Shaq Fu no mews since September on facebook and the last info we got on indiegogo was shaq on twitter playing ot saying its 90% complete, new trailer coming soon (which we havent gotten yet) and releases early this year. Early this year ended this month.

Yet Playgrounds comes out of nowhere, releases next month and the game weve waited 3 years for isnt even out yet. Shouldnt you finish one game before announcing and releasing another?

Matthew Karch's Avatar

Matthew Karch said:

April 12th, 4:09 pm

Duomaxwell007. That is an excellent question. The short answer is that Shaq Fu is complete and has been for some time, but our initial take was a bit too “South Park” and we were forced to tone down the humor a bit. We have multiple teams working on multiple games and some are just easier to bring to the finish line than others. We are the lead (and actually sole) developers on Quake Champions and even that has been quicker than Shaq Fu. Trust me when I tell you I am more frustrated that the game isn’t out than you are, but the details of that story are for another time.

NBA Playgrounds has just been an incredibly smooth process. The NBA has been a joy to work with and our team in Madrid that took lead on this knew exactly what they wanted to build from day one. Shaq Fu has already passed cert so we are just waiting for a release date. My hope is to announce that very shortly.

DuoMaxwell007 said:

April 12th, 6:37 pm

@Matthew Karch Thank You for actually replying on the subject (I thought it wouldnt be addressed). Shaq Fu too “South Park” South Park gets away with their games being South Park just fine. But anyway on to the actual topic now. people mention NBA Jam AND NBA Street when talking about Playgrounds. I dont see the NBA Street similarities anywhere with that game am I missing something? Though thats fine with me since all I 100% care about in NBA Jam so Ill be getting it solely for that and that only, however tell me those big heads are optional/done with a cheat (like NBA Jam) and not their natural look? Heh

MaximumRideX said:

April 12th, 5:34 pm

This brings back memories of when my friend and I played NBA Jam/Street back in the day. Love those arcade type sports games. Is there going to be an Online co-op vs AI mode also or will the game support share play? Keep up the great work.

paulogy said:

April 12th, 6:20 pm

Looks great! Is there local co-op? Can you play 2 vs. 2 locally?

I know one of my favorite parts of NBA Jam and Street was the announcer, what kind of color commentary can we look forward to? :-)

spunnups said:

April 12th, 6:51 pm

Please tell me there’s tournament style online co-op where each player can level up individually.

jahleelee47 said:

April 12th, 8:56 pm

I am super excited to play this game!! I care a lot about basketball games, and I’m also a collector. I enjoy physical copies of games, and I really want to know if it’s possible to have limited edition physical copies on the consoles? That’s a serious question, and I really want to push for that in some way.. I would gladly pay an extra 10-20 bucks for a physical, but hey, that’s just me.

sprogsy007 said:

April 13th, 4:15 am

Really excited for this, I have a couple of questions if anyone has seen info or knows…

Is this getting a worldwide release? I am in the UK and want to know if itll be on both psn and xbox live?

also has anyone seen a list of the legends in it?

I have spotted a few in the clips with careful pausing but wanted to know who else we might see…

cheers

Laliluleilo said:

April 13th, 7:13 am

This will be a day one purchase for me. I’m not even a sports fan, but I loved NBA Jam in the 90’s, and can dig most arcade style sports games. I think this looks absolutely amazing.^^

dime5150 said:

April 13th, 7:37 am

Seems like a direct remake/copy of NBA Jam. They have the rights to it?

willster98 said:

April 13th, 12:24 pm

I have to agree, that’s just NBA JAM on the PS4…not that I am complaining!

RedHarlow said:

April 13th, 12:46 pm

PS4 pro support?

YorlecmNwahs said:

April 13th, 7:04 pm

These screenshots remind me of NBA Jam. That makes me smile.

thoms333 said:

April 15th, 7:21 pm

Gonna Buy this for My Nintendo Switch …instead of my PS4 because, i can pick this up and play on the go on trips, or at home.. hopefully local multiplayer and online … Thank you it’s the game I’ve been wanting … Buying Digital on Nintendo Switch

Welmosca said:

April 16th, 12:11 am

Definitely getting this…looks a lot like Jam and I had tons of fun with Jam,I hope there’s local MP.

SwordofWhedon said:

April 16th, 1:08 pm

I’d be really interested in this for an Arch Rivals mode with punching and such. Don’t forget the obstacles like floor popcorn and sodas.

pipos12pies said:

April 16th, 2:20 pm

I’ll be making YouTube videos on this game @fautison productions on YouTube. Check them out if you pick the game up

SSDEATHSQUAD88 said:

April 18th, 12:12 pm

You guys should work out a deal with sony 2 release this in May for ps plus perfect game for the ps plus look at what it did for Rocket League and now Disk Jam also blowing up just a thought.