PlayStation VR

Apr 12

Apr 12

See How It All Began with Yakuza Kiwami, out August 29

The PS2 classic finds new life on PS4 with a from-scratch overhaul.

Scott Strichart's Avatar Posted by Localization Producer

The meaning of the Japanese word “Kiwami” is “extreme,” and I’d say it’s going to be a pretty extreme year for fans of Sega’s Yakuza games! I’m Scott Strichart, the localization producer for the series, and today we dropped some pretty rad news about Yakuza Kiwami, the upcoming PS4 remake that takes you back to where Yakuza all began in a from-scratch overhaul of the PS2 classic.

As we promised when we announced the game at PlayStation Experience last year, Yakuza Kiwami is coming to North America on August 29, 2017! And it’s going to be a pretty sweet deal. Yakuza 0, which we launched for PS4 earlier this year, was only a success because you — the fans — believed in it, so we’re really going all out for Kiwami as our way to say thank you.

You can grab Kiwami for $29.99 ($44.99 CAD) and all North American pre-orders/launch copies will include a special SteelBook while supplies last.

In addition to that, today we launched the Yakuza Experience website, an all-new Yakuza portal where you can dive deeper into the world of Yakuza through an interactive timeline and character map to help you keep all these hard-looking dudes and what families they’re from straight. Right now you can check out everything leading up to 1995, where Yakuza Kiwami starts!

The Yakuza Experience site also features the first issue of a 10-issue digital comic, starting with some of the key events of Yakuza 0 and taking you along for the ride all the way up to Yakuza 6: The Song of Life, coming to PS4 early next year. If you’ve just joined the family for Yakuza 0 or maybe Yakuza Kiwami is where you’ll start, these comics will help bridge the gap between Kiwami and Yakuza 6 with all the epic fights and intense drama the series is known for.

And for our long-time fans? Stay tuned for some never-before-seen content and alternate perspectives on some of the previous games’ stories that’ll keep you hooked, too.

Wanna learn more about Yakuza Kiwami? Check out the all-new official website, and get ready for one of the best remakes of a modern classic to hit PS4! And watch out for Majima. I hear he’s everywhere.

Add Your Own

Raven__Death said:

April 12th, 7:15 am

Will the UK get the steelbook version too?

The_Trooper_669 said:

April 12th, 7:15 am

Random, but extremely satisfying to finally know the release date. Although I wish you guys would release it sooner. like in June or July.

shogun00 said:

April 12th, 7:18 am

Sweet! I just preordered it at Amazon. I’m a new comer to Yakuza with Yakuza 0 and now I’m hooked. I was able to snag the other games across the PS2 and PS3 and having a blast with those.

Rapturesassassin said:

April 12th, 7:29 am

I need to get cracking on Yakuza 0. Now im wondering if i should wait to play this first then restart Yakuza 0 or just continue Yakuza 0 before this comes out ?

Samichimaru said:

April 12th, 10:03 am

after watching the trailer i’d say you should finish zero first

guelfi23 said:

April 12th, 7:32 am

PS4 exclusive? they removed the logo

Pchinski said:

April 12th, 7:37 am

Please bring over Ishin.

DuoMaxwell007 said:

April 12th, 7:40 am

Woot!!! Been waitin for this release date forever. AND its only 30 bucks?!?! Thats 30 bucks less than I planned on paying. HELL yes!!!

dkarlowicz10 said:

April 12th, 7:42 am

Would love to see ports of Yakuza 3, 4 and 5 come to PS4. Are you also going to make Yakuza 2 Kiwami?

Soul-SurVivor94 said:

April 12th, 7:42 am

Man now we have the lost legacy, yakuza Kiwami, shadow of war and destiny 2 all coming out close to each other.

billyok said:

April 12th, 7:45 am

But I want it today!

ahmedfarook said:

April 12th, 7:46 am

Just $30 for this masterpiece? i just preordered 3 copies without even realizing it.

Assais said:

April 12th, 7:57 am

Finally! Thanks Scott! Already pre-ordered it. I’m now in the middle of finishing Yakuza 0 and can’t to jump on this come August.
Proud of Sega for bringing this amazing series to the West with these also Launch editions! Now only wish Nagoshi-san would remake Yakuza 2, heard it’s the best in the series :)

Vinland_Krauser said:

April 12th, 8:01 am

Whoa, wait a minute. $30? What’s the catch, is it shorter or something?

The game apparently looks like a proper PS4 title from what I can tell seeing the trailer, so even though the story is basically the same as the original game it can still be treated as a remake and sold for $60.

It sounds too good to be true, really.

shogun00 said:

April 12th, 10:49 pm

Why is it so hard to believe? Insomniac did the same thing with the remake of Ratchet & Clank.

Yes, the game is a bit shorter compared to the later games.

whereymyconary said:

April 12th, 8:09 am

Sweet Pre-ordered and for my bday month. Yay. I finally beat 0 least week and it was amazing. Though I still haven’t convinced anyone else to play this amazingly wacky game. Might need to become my random Hanukkah gift for people.

Bijatron said:

April 12th, 8:55 am

Thank you, Scott, Sega/Atlus, and Sony! Scott, you and your teams knocked it out of the park with 0, man! It was amazing! This hype train is off the rails. $30? Amazing. I’m buying an embarrassing number of copies just to say thank you!

Toxic_Vampire said:

April 12th, 9:00 am

Never played a Yakuza but I am interested. If it wasn’t for my already massive backlog I would have grabbed 0 already but either way it’s great to see more games like this coming.

boxmyth said:

April 12th, 10:11 am

Yakuza has been one of my favorite gaming series since the PS2 days. Kiwami (as well as 6) will be no-doubt day-1 purchases for me.

LonestarZues said:

April 12th, 10:27 am

Day 1!

DualEdge said:

April 12th, 10:53 am

Wonderful news! I just got my Yakuza 0 platinum trophy 3 days ago, so I’m still very much on a Yakuza high! Thankful to have a break between games though as I put 150+ hours into 0. Can’t wait to get my hands on that steelbook as well! I previously played the first game on the PS2, but I’m definitely looking forward to revisiting it and seeing what was changed/updated. Thanks Sega and Sony for continuing to release these games in the west!

Destinys_Memory said:

April 12th, 11:38 am

PSN pre-order, where are you? I don’t have time to bother with a disc! Hmph!

anszbd1 said:

April 12th, 11:45 am

The price is $30 and we get steelcase too? Seriously? I’m in, I’m so in lol.

And please remake yakuza 2 to 5, I’ll buy it all :)

sanobarzking said:

April 12th, 2:43 pm

feeling so happy and excited to know the release date of yakuza kiwami… I wish yakuza 6 and yakuza ishin also get a release date sooner!!! yakuza is a classic a game and with a marvellous story and i wish that it goes forward with a yakuza 7 and so on….lol
#yakuzaforever

sanobarzking said:

April 12th, 3:48 pm

when will be the digitally version be available for pre-order ?

freshprincepbg said:

April 12th, 5:09 pm

Im buying this day 1.

Now please remake Yakuza 2 as it will be the only mainline Yakuza game I havent played after I get this

Yakuza Ishin localization would be great too

Crysis_Complex said:

April 12th, 5:30 pm

Been a huge fan and can’t wait for this title to come out! Yakuza 1 and 2 are the only reason I went hunting for a PS2.

SuperSonic1305 said:

April 12th, 6:20 pm

Why is it 45 in Canada when the exchange rate comes out to under 40?

AMAZINGalive4327 said:

April 12th, 6:30 pm

I’m gonna pre order kiwami at gamestop very soon and I’m sooooo very excited for kiwami. I woke up this morning and saw the notification for kiwami story trailer and I just lost my mind lol. Plus kiwami is $30 man this is one hell of a deal for me. I’ve finished 0 and I’m now waiting for this extreme remake to arrive.

Nhih said:

April 12th, 6:59 pm

Yoshi…

RavageX said:

April 12th, 8:59 pm

Excellent news! This series is probably the ONLY one that I can pre-order with full confidence.

Parasitepaladin said:

April 12th, 9:02 pm

Dreams do come true! Thank you for bringing this over!!

DbA2011 said:

April 13th, 1:49 am

I’m gonna preorder the heck out of the steelbook edition!

l_ax3l_ said:

April 13th, 5:59 am

Damn the ps2 memories, good times man.

Reaper527_ said:

April 13th, 9:24 am

any word on when best buy is going to open up preorders? it’s been a day and it’s still not on there yet.

JUSTAME_MARIO said:

April 14th, 7:16 am

Pre-ordered the steelbook version, will there be another “business edition” like Zero?. Thanks for bringing it over to awaiting fans. Any word on Ishin? I’ve been playing the imported Ishin very very slowly due to language barrier; a full English version would be great.

Rahuf said:

April 14th, 10:42 am

No, it was really awkward, and didn’t feel authentic, I have played full English version on PS2, voice acting did really suck on that, I’m so happy that it’s only subbed.

Rahuf said:

April 14th, 10:44 am

Gonna pre order as soon as it’s up on bestbuy.

HowManyBreads2 said:

April 14th, 1:36 pm

please localise Ishin my family is dying we need ishin