PlayStation VR

Apr 26

Apr 26

PS Plus: Free Games for May 2017

Survive Pandora in Tales from the Borderlands, or kick back and explore with Abzu on PS4.

James Hallahan's Avatar Posted by PlayStation Plus

Greetings, PlayStation Nation! The free PS Plus games for May are upon us, and we have something special for everyone. This month we have Tales from the Borderlands and Abzu on PS4.

First up: Tales from the Borderlands, a five-part episodic series from the experts at Telltale Games. Set in the unforgiving world of Pandora after the events of Borderlands 2, follow the journey of Rhys and Fiona as they are thrown together to recover a fortune they both believe is theirs.

From there, put your feet (Flippers?) up and relax with Abzu. Immerse yourself in an ocean full of life and wonder. Feeling stressed? This is the relief you’re looking for.

Full Lineup

• Tales from the Borderlands, PS4
  • Abzu, PS4
  • Blood Knights, PS3
  • Port Royale 3: Pirates and Merchants, PS3
  • Laser Disco Defenders, PS Vita (Cross Buy with PS4)
  • Type:Rider, PS Vita (Cross Buy on PS4)

Enjoy these games, and see you next time!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3

yourworldonfire said:

April 26th, 8:33 am

Was just about to buy Abzu, this pleases me

m-a-k-e-l-e-l-e said:

April 26th, 8:56 am

Europe wants Abzu too ( next month please)

yentair said:

April 26th, 4:30 pm

Me and the wife will enjoy Abzu too. And it’s something the kids can even watch or play.

Dark-Hax- said:

April 27th, 8:44 am

Nope we don’t lol

valtzuu70 said:

April 27th, 10:05 am

Well EU is getting Alienation, not ABZU :( (or atleast I think so)

y2guyo said:

April 27th, 10:18 am

Meh, these are titles that I wouldn’t have taken a second glance at, they may be decent but they’re not games that I bought a PlayStation and ps plus subscription for.

They’re little bonuses to keep you paying for online multiplayer access for your PlayStation games, but considering how cheap and viable pc gaming is these days on top of the frequent big discount game sales and not having to pay anything more than your internet bill to play online, the consumer value is clearly in the pc camp.

Miesiu01 said:

April 28th, 1:50 pm

Europe is waiting for Abzu !!! Please add to May’s PS+ !

stalemate666 said:

April 29th, 11:24 am

Sigh…

Ligetsu99 said:

May 1st, 4:25 am

I just don’t like the telltale series period

Nemesis_2k7 said:

May 1st, 5:12 pm

Lol. Pc peasents

KillJ0ytr011 said:

May 3rd, 11:13 pm

Sadly ABZU is not for free in India but Alienation is instead. Atleast I got TFTB which I am happy with for now.

ShackledStream said:

May 11th, 9:32 am

So Europe no abzu ?

senetus666 said:

May 20th, 2:38 pm

yea got abzu on it but dos not tell you its only uk -.-
    im paying for psplus and i get free games ok i dont play online its only for the free games and all of theme so far are bad and now ithe game i want its only for uk nice one sony nice one -.- !!

MachineHero09 said:

April 26th, 8:34 am

not sure how I feel about this month. TFTB is among Telltale’s best but once you’re done, you’re done. Same with Abzu and you can beat it in literally under 3 hours and never even heard of the others. Quality of the games seem fine, the replayability isn’t.

Ahsain-25 said:

April 26th, 12:16 pm

See to me these are the perfect kind of games for ps plus. These aren’t the games that you should be relying on for most of your gaming hours, they’re extra experiences that you get on top of the main games that you buy.

yentair said:

April 26th, 4:28 pm

I agree with Ahsain-25. Happy to get TFTB, Abzu and Type:Rider. That definitely justifies my $3.33 PS+ cost for the month (paid $40 for a year). That’s barely $1 per game.
    A couple of cool, unique 3 hour-long games, and a solid Telltale story, and we’re golden.
    Sorry to anyone else who already bought those games, but it’s great for the rest of us.
    Too bad the other 3 games are throwaway. Oh well, at least this beats last month’s lineup, which was abysmal! The April lineup was the first time I hated every single game. And I’m usually easy to please.
    Thanks for stepping it up Sony!

jdizzle0420 said:

April 26th, 6:33 pm

I thought TFTB was the most boring Telltale game yet lol…

DJ_Tomato said:

April 26th, 8:34 am

*Expects a golden week sale*

*Gets a Tom Clancy sale*
*Next week sale is probably Starwars because of May the 4th*

SIEA just broke a three year old tradition

2014 April 28
2015 April 28
2016 April 26
2017 April ??

I haven’t receive a playstation newsletter since september 2016, playstation live chat is not working either

Thanks SIEA, my wallet remains untouched one more time, nothing for me this week.

Dethfuse said:

April 26th, 8:40 am

I still receive the newsletters so sounds like you somehow got unsubscribed. And begging for sales is kind of just sad really…

carabu said:

April 26th, 8:56 am

Golden week starts the 29th officially and goes to May 3-6. Since that is Sunday, I expect the Golden Sale to be next week.

tazzfresh said:

April 26th, 11:14 am

Couple of questions:
    1. Is it in your spam?
    2. Do you follow any of playstations social medias?

Not dogging you at all, just curious because it seem that you and other individuals are not updated at all. I get my newsletter on email and get updated on their twitter/FB

Investor9872 said:

April 26th, 8:36 am

Tales from the Borderlands is a good free title, but who’s here don’t have that game already?

TheKiller9961 said:

April 26th, 8:45 am

I don’t have it.

boychik0830 said:

April 26th, 8:51 am

I don’t and is it the full season. If so that is great as I was going to rent it from gamely at some point.

carabu said:

April 26th, 9:00 am

I don’t because I know that all telltale games will eventually be on PS PLUS.

Investor9872 said:

April 26th, 9:02 am

boychick: Yes. It’s the full season, so if you guys haven’t played it already, then this is a good month for you. Cheers!

mota_1994 said:

April 26th, 12:10 pm

Just Episode 1 when it was free

Thermopyle2 said:

April 26th, 8:38 am

Abzu instead of Alienation? Well that sucks.

tylerh1701 said:

April 26th, 8:47 am

Agreed. Why give US and EU different games? I’d much prefer Alienation over Abzu.

Tomoprime said:

April 26th, 2:20 pm

I agreed. Why is each region? I’d much rather prefer Alienation over Abzu. I suppose if you switch the US and EU from this lineup for next month both regions will be happy!

son1erArmy said:

April 26th, 5:30 pm

Agreed x3, we have to make noise to get Alienation yes or yes next month!

ChaoticToTheMax said:

April 26th, 5:45 pm

You can get out of region games. You just have to set up a new account in a different region and use the 2 day free trial of PS Plus. Once you have the games, download them and they will still be accessable on your main account. That’s how I got the asia lineup this month.

Fragmintz42 said:

April 30th, 11:30 pm

BUMP – Abzu looks cute but Alienation would have made me much happier. Not sure why the split between USA and EU? I actually live overseas but have a USA account. It would be great if Sony decided to do a solid this month and make all THREE games available to both regions, as many people are asking for it. :-)

Ninja_Mk1 said:

May 1st, 2:44 am

@ChaoticToTheMax Great idea! The system will not keep me from playing the downloaded freebie (using the dummy account) once the trial ends as long as my main subscription is active. Right?

LOL_jokes_ said:

May 12th, 1:04 am

I have alienation but i want Abzu :p

LOL_jokes_ said:

May 12th, 1:05 am

I have alienation but i want Abzu haha :p

bocahfooty said:

April 26th, 8:38 am

Lame, would rather have Alienation like EU

ZanFear said:

April 26th, 8:39 am

Looking good! Can’t wait to play Abzu!!

gerneric123 said:

April 26th, 8:40 am

Remember when Tales from the Borderlands was supposed to be on Vita? It was even printed on the back of the blue Vita’s box. Then it, Minecraft: Story Mode and Game of Thrones, were never released on the platform. If you ask Telltale about them they won’t respond.

Thermopyle2 said:

April 26th, 8:42 am

TT can’t even get their games to run well on PS4, so hard to fault them for not bothering to release terrible slideshows to Vita.

Dethfuse said:

April 26th, 8:45 am

@Thermopyle2 They may be terrible slide shows but at least they are easy multi-platinums.

gerneric123 said:

April 26th, 8:45 am

If they can’t get their games to run well on PS4 or Vita because they’re awful at optimization, isn’t that entirely their fault?

ZanFear said:

April 26th, 8:47 am

“Don’t worry, we’re big fans of the Vita” – some time ago on PS Blog when asked about bringing those games to Vita. It’s clear they abandoned the Vita, which is unfortunate.

gerneric123 said:

April 26th, 8:50 am

Yeah, I saw that comment. IIRC that was one of the last times Telltale ever replied to someone on the PS Blog. Now they’ve pretty much stopped posting here in general.

DJ_Tomato said:

April 26th, 8:42 am

0.01 USD has been credited to your SIEA loyalty program account

Dethfuse said:

April 26th, 8:43 am

For once I actually don’t already own every game hooray! Regardless I love plus and have been a member since Beta. Abzu is really amazing in 4k HDR btw.

Rapturesassassin said:

April 26th, 8:44 am

Oh and note to self dont buy any games from the indie collection sale or whatever it was called because they all will be on plus sooner or later

JuggaloHomie4321 said:

April 26th, 8:44 am

Not my month yet again

glassmusic said:

April 26th, 8:44 am

I’ve been interested in Tales from the Borderlands for some time now, really excited about that one.

I already own and have 100%’ed Abzu, but my goodness what a great game. I know I’ll get shot down for saying this, but I enjoyed it more than Journey. Everyone is in for a treat!

My PS3’s been collecting dust for ages now… kind of wish Plus would switch over to three PS4 and three Vita, or four PS4 and two Vita, something like that.

The Vita games both look fun!

Overall I think this is one of the better months in recent memory. Well done Sony!

Dethfuse said:

April 26th, 8:47 am

There are enough indie where they definitely could do 4 a month for PS4 but then all the crybabies will whine about only getting Indies. I wouldn’t mind getting 3 PS4 2 Vita and 1 PSVR game.

Ponderousplum3 said:

April 26th, 10:48 am

I don’t have a Ps3 so I would be fine with that, my only concern is that the Vita would follow suit and I am still an avid Vita gamer.

Mercenary09 said:

April 26th, 8:46 am

First off great month on PS4. Tales from the Borderlands and Abzu are great games. But why in the world is the EU and US lineup different. You know a lot of people would rather have Alienation over Abzu.

Dethfuse said:

April 26th, 8:48 am

Maybe Alienation is still selling well in NA while it’s not selling as well in EU?

Investor9872 said:

April 26th, 9:07 am

Maybe next month!

NX_Nytrux said:

April 26th, 8:49 am

I want Alienation!!

bdjn15 said:

April 26th, 8:51 am

This is one of the first months I am disappointed. I already own TFTB (best Telltale in my opinion) but the other titles don’t interest me in the slightest
Guess I will just work on my backlog this month and hope for a better June.

DustyBlue said:

April 26th, 8:52 am

Big fan of Type:Rider on PC, looking forward to replaying it!

Mesopithecus said:

April 26th, 8:53 am

Why give EU and NA different games? That hasn’t happened for a long time, nothing against Abzu as it’s a great game, but I think it’s a bad move on Playstations part to segregate NA and EU content like this. Bring Alienation and Abzu to both regions!

NX_Nytrux said:

April 26th, 8:56 am

I agree, Alienation and Abzu for everyone.

CrusaderForever said:

April 26th, 8:56 am

I agree 100%! What is the reasoning behind this?

JamesSoprano said:

April 26th, 8:58 am

i’m hoping at least next month everyone get’s the same games except 1 game is Abzu for them and for us it’s Alienation that way were back on track. but if not then everything is out of control and Sony lost Balance of the free game giving.

KissLen said:

April 26th, 8:53 am

the good news for me is I haven’t played any of these. But would have liked to see some Star wars love.

Ponderousplum3 said:

April 26th, 10:50 am

I thought for sure Super Star Wars was going to be free for Vita.

CrusaderForever said:

April 26th, 8:54 am

Can someone please explain why EU gets Alienation and the US gets Abzu? Don’t get me wrong ABZU is amazing as I bought it day one. Really wanted to try Alienation. I guess I will just buy then. Just wondering why the difference.

TJF588 said:

April 26th, 8:55 am

Wow, that’s underwhelming for me. Got this Borderlands in a PS Store sale for, what, three bucks, and ABZÜ at whatever sale price, though so far it’s a sped-up Journey tryhard. At least I haven’t Type:Rider yet. Not even sure what either PS3 game is, but “Laser Disco Defenders” is an intriguing title, if naught else.

JamesSoprano said:

April 26th, 8:55 am

Hello Playstation Blog Greatline up this month. But… Why did we get Abzu and EU got Alienation ? I thought you guys ( Sony ) said EU and NA are going to be getting the same PS+ Free Games from here on out and that was .. what .. 3 or 4 years ago ?

I really want Alienation and don’t mind having Abzu but i don’t want to miss an opportunity of owning Alienation here in NA. this just throws everything off balance.

EverythingOnFire said:

April 26th, 9:00 am

Not a good month for me, but hey, not every month is going to be tailor made for everyone.

BTW, ABZU is one of the coolest games I’ve ever played. I will recommend it all day long.

Razor_Gloves said:

April 26th, 9:02 am

Wish we got Alienation instead of Abzu

SnakeSaibot said:

April 26th, 9:03 am

It’s my birth month, and I’m utterly disappointed… *sigh*

ZanFear said:

April 26th, 9:15 am

Better hope your parents bought you some good games for your birthday then!

Ponderousplum3 said:

April 26th, 10:52 am

Pumped BMX was free during my birth month, you actually didn’t do too bad.

deadfth said:

April 26th, 9:04 am

what happend with alination?

Guibs25 said:

April 26th, 9:06 am

All the months seems the same for me. Yet another month where I won’t even care about downloading these games as none are of any interest to me.

Too bad for me, I was dumb enough to buy a few years worth when there was a sale and before the “raise” in pricing. It’s even worst for people paying the newer price with the drop in quality of the games being release to PS Plus members.

As for Indie games, any PS Plus members knows better than to actually pay for indie games because we all know they will end up free at some point because that is all Sony seem to care to include with PS Plus.

Faenix1 said:

April 26th, 9:12 am

Not interested in anything this month, since I own Tales, but the fact Eu gets Alienation has me seriously disappointed. Iwould of been down for that.

Reed947 said:

April 26th, 9:19 am

This is a surprisingly good month. The first in a while. Abzu looks excellent and although i’m not a borderlands fan i’ve heard great things about this telltales game. Good work Sony!

p.s please bring YAKUZA 3-5 to ps now! :D

Akmaljon said:

April 26th, 9:21 am

Picked up Tales from Borderlands for $5 and in my opinion it is best game offered by telltale. Glad, they finally offered game that is enjoyable with good comedy and action. Hope u guys enjoy it as much as I am. Will give a shot to Abzu, even tho not into that kind of game. Overall Above mediocre lineup. Keep up good line ups.

PauloMusicMan said:

April 26th, 9:25 am

Abzu is not my type of game. I didn’t play Journey for more than 10 minutes, guess I was a little stressed at the moment. I never gave a vote of trust with the Telltale games, but since I loved every Borderlands I will definitely play this one when I finish the other games that I’m playing now. I would prefer Alienation undoubtedly and that’s a bad move of giving us diferent games than EU. I hope that PS fix that next month giving Abzu to they and Alienation to us.

drd7of14 said:

April 26th, 9:26 am

PS3 Plus games are getting a little rough around the entire game…

firedragon141973 said:

April 26th, 9:29 am

I’m sorry. For the price you pay for PS Plus, why do they not include better games, more variety.. I personal have not liked any of the games they provide for PS Plus.
I know it’s about money. It’s about getting gamers to broaden their gaming horizons.. But why not put more popular games in the mix of provided games. Even go to indie games.
I know I may be wrong here, but this is just my opinion & my opinion alone.

TwinDad said:

April 26th, 12:33 pm

Would broaden horizons not imply to not give away popular titles?And to give people a chance to check out a non-standard title?

You pay $.83 per game.

While better is subjective, so might be variety, I would like to see a few more games in different genres, like racing, sports, RPG, etc that are under served.

A_rtzen said:

April 26th, 9:30 am

Other month with Android games? Well, Borderlands and “Journey style” game not bad.

Please more Triple A and less Android games please !!!!

Creciente said:

April 26th, 9:33 am

Very much a revelation there are differences for NA and EU, it’s been a while. Hopefully, EU players get to play Abzu, and NA gets Alienation at some point moving forward.

Kishnabe said:

April 26th, 9:40 am

Tales of the Borderlands: Very Happy to get this. Would have bought this when it was 3 dollars and under in the future. Already platted the PS3 Version.

ABZU= 3 hours to complete, heard plenty of great things about it. In for a relaxing experience.

Blood Knights= Gonna put into library but not playing ever…..

Port Royale 3: Not my type of game, better games in the backlog.

Laser Disc Defenders: Wanted this game, but knew I would not play much of it. Great to get it as a PS+ offering.

Type Rider: Interested in trying it out, gave up on Letter Quest Remastered. Wonder how long this one will take for me to call quits.

Decent month overall. 6 games I don’t own :)

utterer said:

April 26th, 9:44 am

my favorite post on the blog every month reading all the comments of kids and neckbeards crying that the lineup isn’t 60$ AAA games with metacritic ratings of 85% and above.

I also enjoy reading the kids who post that they are going to cancel their PS Plus membership because they are so upset about the games that are offered every month, but sure enough they still have that Plus logo in their avatar when they come back to complain the next month.

Keep on whining!!

utterer said:

April 26th, 9:51 am

For the people who want more “AAA” games, what kind do you want since there really are only 3 kinds of “AAA” games.

AAA third person action shooter
    AAA first person shooter

whoops I am wrong developers are only making two kinds of AAA games nowadays. Although by this time next year we can safely add “AAA Dark Souls Clone” to the mix.

Guibs25 said:

April 26th, 12:23 pm

What you should keep in mind is that a lot of people paid the full year in advance. So cancelling their subscription will not show up for months.

As for your other question, I’d be up for any full-fledged games instead of tablets/indie games every month. On the PS3, we used to have much better offering. Still remember getting uncharted 3 which I enjoyed a lot. There was also a lot more great example.

Since the PS4 arrived, their game offering has been 90% Indie/shovelware games that you can get for free on the internet or games no one has ever heard before. There are a few examples but they are very few within the year.

Looking at past years, the quality of PS plus games have indeed drop a lot.

I don’t expect to be given the latest AAA games. But there is room to improve a LOT from their current offering.Lost of great game (not indie games, full physical released ones) came out in 2014-2015 and we are yet to see any offered with this subscription.

utterer said:

April 26th, 2:41 pm

your statements are flawed

MexKain said:

April 26th, 9:45 am

GWG will give 2 Star Wars titles on may that are bakward compatibles with xbox one

So i stay this month with xbox

X-Warlock said:

April 26th, 9:55 am

I’m actually quite pleasantly surprised at the PS+ games for a change. Tales from the Borderlands was actually pretty good and Abzu has been on my radar for some time now, definitely looking forward to trying it.

rafael_martines said:

April 26th, 10:02 am

Week Month

jabberwockgee said:

April 26th, 11:25 am

Year Decade.

Megaladong421 said:

May 4th, 5:48 pm

Jabberwockgees reply just made me very happy. Same answer I was going to give but he beat me to it!

Rafi7234 said:

April 26th, 10:16 am

Tales from the Borderlands is great. It’s probably my favorite Telltale game. Really great humor. You don’t really need to be familiar with the Borderlands games to enjoy it.

This and Abzu make this one of the best PS Plus lineups in a while….

eliyahu9 said:

April 26th, 10:26 am

I feel like PS Plus became unworthy since the release of the PS4, it used to be good then. I’m glad that with i didn’t renewed my membership this year.

Erfan_Tavakoly said:

April 26th, 10:28 am

Is it full series of Tales from the Borderlands ? season pass? or just episode 1?

Flabeo said:

April 26th, 10:35 am

Sweet! For the 6th month in a row I don’t regret letting my PS+ expire. Thanks Playstation!

ZichiroARG said:

April 27th, 5:30 am

It’s because of people like you that this service is mediocre now.

jdhussle426 said:

April 26th, 10:37 am

Well hell.. Abuz is a 3 hr no replay vaule game and tales of borlands is not a game. I would have enjoyed only getting alienation so much more.. why is does EU get alienation but NA don’t?

Ponderousplum3 said:

April 26th, 10:43 am

Actually excited for May’s releases, I played the free episode of TFBL and loved it, also Abzu looks promising.

Sunspiral said:

April 26th, 11:04 am

Already own the PS4 titles.

Abzu is a great game. Everyone should give it a play.

NatalyasRevenge said:

April 26th, 11:13 am

Excited to play the games this month def a decent month imo

ZTown72 said:

April 26th, 11:21 am

Damn, I must say this is the first month I have already bought most of the games and am a bit disappointed…

son1erArmy said: