Horizon Zero Dawn

Jun 06

Jun 06

Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice From Ninja Theory Launches August 8 on PS4

Watch a new trailer for Ninja Theory’s ambitious “Independent AAA” game that pits Senua, a traumatized Celtic warrior, against the Viking underworld of Hel.

Dominic Matthews's Avatar Posted by Product Development Ninja, Ninja Theory

Hello! After three years of open and independent development, we’re excited to announce that Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice will be coming to PS4 on August 8 2017! Starting today, you can pre-order Hellblade for $29.99 and receive a bonus PS4 Dynamic Theme that depicts the iconic burning tree scene from the game.

To celebrate the announcement, we have released a new trailer, which you can watch above.

For those new to Hellblade, the game is the story of Senua, a traumatized Celtic warrior journeying into the Viking underworld of Hel. We have created the game in collaboration with neuroscientists as well as people who live with psychosis. We hope Hellblade is an experience like no other.

Hellblade

In Hellblade, we are aiming to revive the lost space between indie and AAA gaming. Where creatively diverse experiences made with AAA values can thrive once again.

We’ve taken a small team of around 20 people and created a focused and rich experience that looks and feels as good as any blockbuster title. Hellblade is about half the length of a regular AAA game and priced at about half the cost. A price that we think is fair to both you and us.

Our hope is that if we make our Independent AAA work with Hellblade, other developers will follow, leading to a more creative and diverse gaming world for developers and players alike.

Hellblade

We’ve been humbled by the support that we’ve had from PlayStation fans throughout development. You’ve followed our journey, shared our updates and encouraged us to follow our vision to its fullest. We’ve shared our development ups and downs with you, given you an insight into the world of creating a game like Hellblade and listened to what you’ve had to say. Now, as we approach launch, we ask you to rally round, preorder Hellblade and help make this project a success for us, you and all of gaming.

Thank you.

Add Your Own

Kenshiro88 said:

June 6th, 8:32 am

I’ve read nearly every article about this game, and I cannot WAIT to play it. By far one of my favorite developers. Are there plans for a physical release??

janusfilmsfan said:

June 6th, 8:33 am

Looks great. Day one. Will this game be enhanced for PS4 Pro? Thanks.

yuusamaccho said:

June 6th, 8:35 am

“Hellblade is about half the length of a regular AAA game”, what does this means?? I need numbers please.

langdon said:

June 6th, 8:38 am

5-8 hours, no? Since most AAA games (at a minimum) are 10-16 hours.

langdon said:

June 6th, 8:37 am

Awesome news! The price point and length are really interesting! In a year packed with so many good releases (including this one), and as someone who has with limits on gaming time, this makes me that much more excited to get this game.

TomatoDragon said:

June 6th, 8:38 am

Excellent. I’ve been following the development of this game since it began.

TheSnake7 said:

June 6th, 8:42 am

Cant wait though i was hoping for a physical release but i guess ill give in and buy digital

Firepowerr said:

June 6th, 8:44 am

Has it been confirmed that there will be no physical release?

wintereich1 said:

June 6th, 7:54 pm

They say it in the trailer, to keep down costs.

nokedimyo said:

June 6th, 8:43 am

I love all the Ninja Theory games! Can’t wait to play this one!

infamousgodV2_0 said:

June 6th, 9:05 am

Fake exclusive i’ll just pick this up on PC ;)

TomHoang said:

June 6th, 9:20 am

Heavenly Sword is one my favorite games of all time, and I’m seeing this as a sort of spiritual successor. Bummer about the lack of a physical release, but I’ll still get this day 1 regardless. Looks like great stuff!

medenko1975 said:

June 6th, 9:23 am

No retail?

quickfire123 said:

June 6th, 9:35 am

Will there be a limited physical run? If so I rather wait for that.

Was hoping there would be a steelbook to this.

dragonsandlasers said:

June 6th, 9:52 am

Disappointed to hear about the length. I’d rather pay full price for a full-length game.

TJ_Solo said:

June 7th, 8:14 am

That’s not as meaningful as you think. If you think about it then it would also mean you’d play a half price game that’s half the normal length.

schwacko said:

June 7th, 6:44 pm

Or you can get it on pc, wait until the steam sale and play a game that’s half the length of a full priced game at 1/4 of the price.

drezzlord said:

June 6th, 9:55 am

What a great way treat for Optimus Prime day. :)

paulogy said:

June 6th, 9:57 am

Been following this for quite some time, so glad to hear there’s a release date – and it’s not too far away!

Every update the game seems to look better and better. Will we see more at E3?

saab01 said:

June 6th, 10:00 am

Sweet been waiting for this game forever now. I’m sure it’s gonna be amazing.

saab01 said:

June 6th, 10:03 am

Isn’t this both physical and digital release ?

Flaming_Kaiser said:

June 6th, 10:24 am

Sony please help this fantastic studio out with a retail release they deserve it after the fantastic Heavenly Sword.

whereymyconary said:

June 6th, 12:06 pm

Digital only?

D-Squad3 said:

June 6th, 1:59 pm

Finally a release date! Hopefully it doesn’t get delayed.

YODA798907 said:

June 6th, 4:01 pm

Please update the PlayStation Vue app on Roku!!!

SteveNenA2015 said:

June 6th, 6:52 pm

OMFG SONY? What is wrong with you? Horizon / nier / FFXV/ need for speed/ tekken 7/ marvel vs captor infinite / cod ww2 and now hellblade? YOU KNOW WHAT JUST TAKE MY WHOLE PAYCHECK… WHOOO WHOOO HELLBLADE

dragon672 said:

June 6th, 7:15 pm

Just recently heard about this game via a Game Informer article. I have to say I’m very interested in this game. Usually I almost only buy physical copies but I will buy this one digital. Hopefully we’ll see some more that E3.

JesteR1701one said:

June 7th, 5:58 am

No physical copy = no buy.

chomsky72 said:

June 19th, 5:36 pm

I used to think the same way: physical only games. Then I realized I am missing out on a ton of great digital only games, many better than the ones offered on disc. Also, some deluxe versions are only released as digital exclusives.

adrock_12 said:

June 24th, 7:59 pm

they are an independent game developer, they can’t invest that kind of money into having a physical release. But suit yourself and miss out on what looks like one of the best games of the year

cptnoremac said:

June 30th, 9:02 am

That’s what LRG is for. Money is no excuse. In fact I can see no excuse at all, except just to piss off people who like to own things.

schwacko said:

June 7th, 6:49 pm

The only thing that bothers me is the length. I can wait until a sale and get a full length AAA title on pc, why would I want to play a game with 6-8 hours gameplay.

FreeRPGer said:

June 7th, 8:56 pm

Man o’ man, since I’m a Ninja Theory fan, especially Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, I’ve been waiting almost a year for a tentative release date on Hellblade, and now a release date has finally been mentioned, but I’m so disappointed, because so far it appears that it’ll be a “digital only” release. I *was* highly anticipating this one. Key word: was.
But I’ll be a wishful thinker and hope this eventually gets a physical release — even through Limited Run Games — because otherwise I’ll most likely ignore this, as I very rarely download digital games. If this gets a physical release, I’ll snatch it up day one. If not, oh well..

fbase8818 said:

June 8th, 7:22 pm

I really hope they do a physical release,i never buy digital ..like owning a disc for my large collection…maybe limited run games or sony will help out …ill easily pay 40 or 60 for a disc

adrock_12 said:

June 24th, 8:01 pm

I’m still hoping Limited Run games will do I am Setsuna …it was so good, I want a physical copy as well

cptnoremac said:

June 30th, 8:59 am

For the love of God, put it on a disc. Some of us like to own the things we pay you for. And don’t use money as an excuse; LRG will do it all for you and you don’t have to pay a dime. And if you are planning on doing that, make your intensions known early so I don’t wait two months before giving up and buying it digitally, only for it to be announced on LRG the next day and force me to buy it twice. It happens all the time and I hate it.