Marvel's Spider-Man

Jun 12

Jun 12

Introducing PlayLink for PS4

An exciting new range of games to play with friends and family.

Michael Denny's Avatar Posted by Senior VP, SIE Worldwide Studios

At PlayStation we’ve got a proud history of bringing new players to video games, and we’re constantly looking at new ways to keep that trend going. So, it’s with great pleasure that I introduce you to PlayLink for PS4 – an exciting new way to play games with family and friends.

PlayLink combines your smartphone or tablet device, TV and PS4 console, with a collection of brand new games that take advantage of the smartphone or tablet device’s touchscreen and camera capabilities.

PlayLink titles are designed to be played in a group setting, allowing for a truly fun and dynamic experience. The collection of PlayLink games vary from gritty crime thrillers to quick-fire quizzes. If you have a smartphone or tablet with the free companion app installed and your PS4 hooked up to a TV, you’re already set.

PlayLink games turn your smartphone or tablet into a versatile controller – you can swipe, pinch, drag, tilt, rotate or even snap selfies and draw crafty doodles, depending on the game. No matter which title you choose from our PlayLink collection, it’s guaranteed to be a slick pick-up-and-play experience.

Take a behind-the-scenes look at one of our upcoming PlayLink titles:

We’re kicking off the PlayLink range with a fun title called That’s You! It’s an audacious comedy quiz which challenges you and up to five friends to get personal and find out what you really think about each other. Featuring over 1,000 varied questions, reveal your daring side by taking part in doodle challenges and snapping selfies.

In celebration of PlayLink’s launch, PlayStation Plus members will be able to access the full version of That’s You! at no additional cost starting on July 4th.

Want to see the game in action? Check out the video below, to see President of Worldwide Studios, Shuhei Yoshida, joined by Tom Bennett from developer Wish Studios, Pete Smith and Claire Bromley from Sony XDev, and Nic Doucet from SIE JAPAN Studio for a few rounds.

Other PlayLink titles coming later this year include:

Hidden Agenda

This narrative-driven adventure drops you into a detective thriller rife with chilling moral dilemmas that may determine life or death. Up to six of you can join in to make tough decisions about how the story unfolds, but not all of you will be working towards the same objective…

Knowledge is Power

Answer a variety of trivia questions and outsmart up to five opponents, with power plays and challenges thrown in to keep you on your toes. This game is all about speed and accuracy in the face of some wickedly crafted distractions from your opponents – are you up to the task?

Frantics

Arcade-style fun and manic mini-games are all the rage in Frantics, where you and up to three friends have to face off in a variety of challenges. Bluff, battle, negotiate and co-operate your way to victory, but beware – mischievous host The Fox is also on hand to stir things up.

SingStar Celebration

Hit the high notes with upbeat tracks, massive hits and your favorite party classics. Whether it’s your birthday, Christmas, New Year’s Eve or even just a Saturday night – SingStar Celebration is the perfect playlist to any party, with up to eight players able to join in the fun. Use your SingStar mic or combine your smartphone with the SingStar Mic App, and get ready for your big moment.

These are just a small selection of PlayLink titles to come from our talented studios, with even more in the works from the global developer community.

Add Your Own

drd7of14 said:

June 12th, 9:52 pm

Huh…Looks kinda cool. Definitely getting the Jackbox vibes, which is no bad thing. The more party games like this, the better! ❤

paulogy said:

June 12th, 9:59 pm

That PlayLink for PS4 feature looks AWESOME! I love the group mobile device play with Jackbox games – so it’s SO cool to see this feature come out of nowhere. And it seems SuperMassive took that live Until Dawn demo & leaned HARD into it w/ Hidden Agenda :-)

Sangetsu-II said:

June 13th, 12:09 am

Definitely interested in all these games, will try out. Thanks for the free access.

cusman said:

June 13th, 4:51 am

Interested in both Hidden Agenda and That’s You!

The PlayLink concept is very appealing.

longballburrell said:

June 13th, 6:42 am

Very cool. Much like the Jackbox games, this looks like a great way to bridge the gap between gamers and non-gamers. My non-gamer friends and family members will love these!

drgnrbrn316 said:

June 13th, 8:44 am

Touch screen and camera, huh? How about some Vita support then!

MakaiOokami said:

June 28th, 10:50 am

Why? You’ll just feel weird being the lowest quality photo in the group, landscape while everyone else is portrait, and then you’ll complain that the Vita implementation was terrible. It doesn’t make sense to really support the vita for a handful of party games especially since you run the risk of people thinking that you have to have a Vita to play it because people are stupid.

heck maybe you can play on a Vita if it’s browser based, but I just don’t think it’s a good enough experience to be worth the effort and the risk of alienating normal people by advertising vita support (like how people thought the Wii U was a Wii add on for a while) is just too big a risk for such little payout and then the vita community will complain that this is all the support they get. I don’t view Sony as having a way to please Vita people. It’s nearing it’s end of life.

Thwip said:

June 13th, 9:16 am

I love party games like this. I have several family members and friends that I wouldn’t call gamers, well at least not “hardcore” gamers, but rather “filthy casuals”. These are exactly the type of games we can play together on family/games night, or over a few drinks.

Thwip said:

June 13th, 9:18 am

When will the PlayLink companion app be available; July 4th like That’s You!?

Welmosca said:

June 13th, 11:41 am

Oh games look cool…reminds me of the 1st games when Move released which I really enjoyed but really Sony using damn phones and tablets as controller?…thats the dumbest idea ever if you dont support DS4 or Move.

MakaiOokami said:

June 28th, 10:34 am

Or it’s the greatest idea ever if your idea is to have a party game set-up without requiring someone to have to go and spend $30-60 per person you want to have over, and then teach them all the buttons, and then realize you just made a big mistake.

The Smartphone isn’t a Dualshock replacement, it’s acting as an interactive portal into the game. Just like how on Tearaway someone can use a smartphone or tablet to create things and mess around with the world. They aren’t replacing the dualshock or move controllers just coming up with a way that allows people to have fun together doing stupid stupid things with people you otherwise wouldn’t be playing games with.

elijack147 said:

June 13th, 1:06 pm

This looks really fun, but I wonder if every game, besides the Ps plus game, costs money.

MakaiOokami said:

June 28th, 10:35 am

Probably. People arent’ going to spend $250 just to play these games even if they are free. I mean 20-50 people might, but the rest of the world probably won’t even know about them. They gotta get the money back somehow.

Hakumen__ said:

June 13th, 1:14 pm

So you have the PS Vita with both features (touchscreen and camera) and you decide to ignore it?

Well, likewise I’ll just ignore this, and knowing Sony they will also begin ignoring it before long.

MakaiOokami said:

June 28th, 10:40 am

So your’e going to hold your vita sideways in your hand, and take photos of yourself in 480p while everyone else is taking higher res photos to play with?

The point of this is a party game and if they support Vita people will think you need a vita to play it. There’s just no real reason to support the Vita on this. It’s awkward to hold in that position, the camera is bad, and I would be surprised to find a vita owner that doesn’t also have a tablet/smartphone of some sort that works.

YODA798907 said:

June 13th, 6:16 pm

Please update the PlayStation Vue app on Roku!!!

KBG29 said:

June 13th, 11:37 pm

If this had Vita supprt I would be interested, but I don’t want anything to do with Android or iOS.

Support your own devices first, then bring stuff to non Sony devices if you like.

Still not happy that I have two 3G Vitas, a Wifi Vita 2000, and a PSTV, and non of them have PS Vue or PS Music support while stuff like Roku and Amazon Fire devices are supported.

cnjchassie said:

June 14th, 3:31 pm

This is why I just sold my Vita. I was tired of it only being able to play ps4 games on it (but not very well since no L2,R2 or L3,R3 buttons. touching the back never really worked properly) I loved the system when it first came out but it clearly became evident that they gave up on it pretty quick.

Pixolator said:

June 14th, 7:36 am

No Vita support? How cute, back when before PS4 launch , I remember Sony showcase where they were presenting how PS4 and Vita together integrate together in games, The Witness and Knack were just a few of those videos , crowd goes wow! And more than 3 years passed we have only seen cross buy/play support only for some games and that’s it :( Is it really that hard to support your own platform? This is how my own Vita and those other Vitas all around the world looks like :'( Good job Sony!

MakaiOokami said:

June 28th, 10:53 am

The camera is bad, the system isn’t really designed for portrait mode usage, and supporting the Vita would risk people thinking you HAD to have a Vita to play it (because people were dumb enough to think a Wii U was a Wii add on even though 5 seconds of googling could have solved that or asking a retail employee that knew better)

Danio_100 said:

June 14th, 8:19 am

PlayLink is a awesome idea! ;) We want Buzz return, please!

mahan8386 said:

June 18th, 5:21 am

چه طوردانلود کنیم

Harerazer said:

June 29th, 5:30 am

I would love Buzz to come back if anyone really played it. I think all of my online games were against UK gamers. Sadly, my fellow American gamers are just not smart.

RISE_UP44 said:

July 3rd, 12:02 pm

Love Games like these.. I just love party games.

hellGerra said:

July 4th, 11:08 am

I want to play That’s You via my Windows 10 laptop. Make it real. Make PC-client.

ETBangin said:

July 4th, 8:44 pm

Not to mention turning your PS4 into a Wi-Fi hotspot just sweetens the deal!

G_H_2002_ said:

July 5th, 6:51 am

Pls its important: why thats you isnt availble in my country (lebanon) even tho im subscribe ti ps plus

Dazzli said:

July 5th, 12:16 pm

Can’t wait for Frantics ). That’s you is really interesting and fun game for party playing )

NokNok78 said:

July 8th, 12:04 pm

The games will be awesome we played that’s you already, but please consider to add multilanguage support especialy on the quizz games!

tvirus04 said:

July 12th, 9:19 am

So first off the gameplay is fun, simple, and creative. I love party games and I think this is a fresh fun take. So my wife and I took a stab at it just to see what it was all about and we had a great time. So we reached out to my friend who live 2200 miles away and i told him and his wife to get on and we could play online together. Well come to find out you can only have one person per console and we were really let down. We ended up playing couple vs couple but really would have enjoyed 4 separate people on there instead of just 2. Is there a way around this? It would become a weekly game we would play with them if you could make this happen.