PlayStation VR

Jun 12

Jun 12

The Inpatient Announced for PS VR, Set 60 Years Before Until Dawn

New psychological horror experience from Supermassive will immerse players in Blackwood Sanatorium, decades before the events of their breakout hit.

Nik Bowen's Avatar Posted by Game Director, Supermassive Games

Hi everyone. I’m Nik Bowen, one of the Game Directors at Supermassive Games. I’m excited to talk to you today about The Inpatient, one of our two new exclusive titles for PlayStation VR.

The Inpatient is a horror game with psychological elements. It places you in the role of a patient with amnesia and is set in the Blackwood Sanatorium, over 60 years prior to the award-winning Until Dawn.

Anyone familiar with Until Dawn will recognize the imposing sanatorium but this time you’ll see everything as it was during its 1950s heyday. For newcomers to the story, don’t worry – you don’t need to have played Until Dawn to be able to enjoy The Inpatient; it’s an entirely standalone title with a brand new story and cast of characters to meet.

The Inpatient_Coke_Screenshot1_Global

The Inpatient begins with you being questioned by Jefferson Bragg, the mysterious owner of the sanatorium. He claims he’s trying to help you, but should you believe him? This is the beginning of your disturbing journey, as you discover who you are and piece together why you are in the Blackwood Sanatorium.

Over the course of the game you’ll meet a variety of interesting patients and staff, each with their own motivations and agendas. How you react to these characters and the choices you make will have profound and dramatic consequences for how the story unfolds.

The Inpatient_Coke_Screenshot2_Global

We’ve designed everything so that it really feels like you are in the game. If you look down you’ll see your body, hands and feet. You can also speak out loud to engage with the characters.

With The Inpatient, we used psychological horror themes to infiltrate the player’s subconscious and draw them further into the story. Our team spent a lot of time working to create a sense of isolation and fear, making extensive use of immersive 3D binaural audio to complement the amazing visuals and further transport them into their unfamiliar new home.

We also worked closely with Until Dawn scriptwriters Larry Fessenden and Graham Reznick to create a truly absorbing script that really brings the story to life. The result is an incredibly immersive experience.

The Inpatient_Coke_Screenshot3_Global

Returning to the Until Dawn universe was exciting for us. The Sanatorium is an iconic location and it has been amazing to revisit this imposing space. Experiencing this in PlayStation VR is incredible – it really feels like you’re there.

We can’t wait to see how players react to the The Inpatient, and look forward to welcoming you into the sanatorium soon…

Add Your Own

paulogy said:

June 12th, 9:04 pm

Looking good! I didn’t realize it was set in the “Until Dawn universe”. Wow, with THREE PS games in development you folks must have your hands full :-) What are the release windows for The Inpatient, Bravo Team, and Hidden Agendas?

kratos1984 said:

June 12th, 9:14 pm

PS VR only?

Brew_Seeker said:

June 12th, 9:21 pm

I so hope that this can also be played in non-VR mode.

KBG29 said:

June 12th, 9:58 pm

So happy with the PSVR support. This allows the games to have so much greater impact, and deliver a truly next gen expereince. Thanks to everyone at Supermassive for ushering in the future of gaming. I hope your early work here leads to great success as the medium matures and becomes the leadin way to play games.

SirRealDeal said:

June 12th, 10:30 pm

Looks fantastic. Hope it’s available soon.

ZanFear said:

June 12th, 10:39 pm

Wow, so cool that this is an Until Dawn prequel!

Toni_Ciprianni said:

June 13th, 2:18 am

Well, very disappointed that it’s a PSVR exclusivity. I love Until Dawn, i love this trailer but i will can’t play this game. So disappointed…

boo_in-yur_box said:

June 13th, 4:08 am

Having read that the player will see their body, I’m curious whether the main character is male or female?

carmelobr said:

June 13th, 4:52 am

VR exclusive… why????
Make it VR compatible, give other player a chance to play it.

cusman said:

June 13th, 4:58 am

Supermassive Games are on a roll with PSVR titles. Having thoroughly enjoyed Until Dawn, and the PSVR Rush of Blood, I will definitely be giving The Inpatient my attention when it launches.

sheena1278 said:

June 13th, 5:12 am

So I need to finally get PS VR it seems!

GunnerFCm said:

June 13th, 6:26 am

This E3 has convinced me to start looking for a deal/bundle on PSVR…

TomHoang said:

June 13th, 6:59 am

Really annoyed at all of these people whining that this is a VR exclusive. I’ll bet they’re the same people that say Sony isn’t doing a good job supporting the PSVR.

BlueBl1zzard said:

June 13th, 8:35 am

Nice, this reminds me that I need to go and finish Until Dawn. I’m very happy Supermassive is supporting the VR, and with another horror game to boot : )

Thwip said:

June 13th, 9:22 am

Loved Until Dawn and Rush of Blood is still one of my go to VR experiences for newcomers to PlayStation VR. You can bet I’ll be supporting this; thanks!

fecks said:

June 13th, 10:55 am

I have vertigo which VR triggers so this is a disappointment. Us people who cant use VR should have an option….would be nice

JaredTequila said:

June 13th, 12:38 pm

Really dug Rush of Blood. Excited to dive back into the world of Until Dawn.

YODA798907 said:

June 13th, 6:14 pm

Please update the PlayStation Vue app on Roku!!!

JyleForever said:

June 14th, 7:54 am

I bought a PS4 just so I could play Until Dawn, so it looks like now I’ll be buying a PSVR just so I can play The Inpatient, haha. I absolutely love the Until Dawn universe, so this surprise news about a prequel has pretty much made my year!

Thrill_Kill said:

June 22nd, 4:12 am

Can you PLEASE make this game work with Stereoscopic 3DTV sets, for those of us that do not use PSVR or do not have PSVR, so we can still get a nice 3D experience? Using the power the of the PS4 Pro, I think that this game would look and run great in Stereoscopic Active 3D in 1080p or 4k. If you can just give us that option in the game menu that would be awesome! I bought Zombie Army Trilogy, and even though I wish that they set some options in the menu for 3D depth adjustment, the game looks outstanding in 3D, and I know that this game would as well if added to the game, and I would buy it on day one as I want more 3D games for my PS4. Thanks!