Overwatch

Jun 15

Jun 15

Time Only Moves When You Move in SUPERHOT, Coming to PS4 & PS VR

Experience the first-person smash hit Superhot, coming in just a few weeks to PlayStation 4 with a specially-tuned VR version in tow.

Tom Kaczmarczyk's Avatar Posted by Producer, SUPERHOT

Alright everyone! We’ve been keeping this under wraps for quite a while now. I pretty much assumed Szymon (our community manhandler) will just up and burst with anticipation at some point. We have been looking at a literally constant stream of messages, tweets and emails from you guys. And they were all basically asking the same single question – PS4 WHEN?

Well, I’m excited out of mind to finally be able to tell you. Superhot and Superhot VR are releasing for PlayStation globally in just a few short weeks!

They’ll be available across all continents, fully adapted for the platform, meticulously tweaked for PlayStation controllers and fancifully bundled as one big package of Superhot goodness — or as separate digital downloads if you’d rather take this mind-bending and time-twisting experience one angry red crystal figure at a time.

Superhot-1

Oh, and if you’re not fully certain what in the world am I even talking about —

Superhot is the FPS where time moves only when you do. We started building it over three years ago and with lots of outstanding support from Kickstarter and the gaming community, we rolled it out for PC last year to raving reviews and critical acclaim. It was immediately picked up and touted as the most disrupting thing in the genre, proving that there was still more to be discovered in the 25 year old art of FPS game design. Superhot proved that you can make players feel like the most badass of action heroes and cranked it all the way up to eleven.

The game started winning awards and working its way into game-of-the-year lists all over the world while we doubled down, started to work on the PS4 version of Superhot and on some serious trailblazing with Superhot VR.

Superhot-2

What we found out at the very beginning of our VR works (way back in the wild west VR days of 2014/2015) was that just plopping a non-VR game into VR is the worst design compromise ever. The gameplay needs to be designed from scratch, the level architecture needs to be built specifically for VR… even the menus and basic interactions in the game are just stupidly clunky unless you figure them out with VR and VR alone in mind.

So we scrapped pretty much the entirety of Superhot and started building Superhot VR from scratch. A year of intense, hard work later and the team was finally ready to release. And damn was the game good. The guys really outdid themselves. They pushed the envelope of the genre even further this time.

Superhot VR immediately became one of the fastest-selling VR PC games ever and started hauling wheelbarrows of recognition and good will from industry gurus and our awesome community.

Superhot-3

And now, after a few more months of porting, optimizing for the platform and tweaking the game for some sweet sweet PSVR and PS Move controller action, we’re officially ready to release! We’re just putting a few final cherries on top of everything.

This is really exciting. It’ll be amazing to release the games to you guys in just a few short weeks. I’m starting to hold my breath now.

#spreadthesystem

Tom
SUPERHOT

Add Your Own

KidCommando said:

June 15th, 10:08 am

Thanks for bringing it to PSVR! Will definitely be buying upon release.

y2que said:

June 15th, 10:20 am

Thank you.

MakoSoul said:

June 15th, 10:36 am

I already bought this for Xbox One, but it’s so good I can’t wait to buy it again for PSVR.

Important question, though, will it have aim controller support

I_am_rushin said:

June 15th, 10:43 am

No, because you need to dual wield, plus things like baseball bats, fists, and throwing stars (in the blog post) would be awkward as hell.

MakoSoul said:

June 15th, 10:55 am

I can think of creative solutions for both of those reasons, but I can understand why they wouldn’t want to modify the game to support a controller that only I subset of PSVR install base owns.

Ksmooth2022 said:

June 15th, 11:13 am

Never tried it but I can’t wait to play it PSVR.

BlueBl1zzard said:

June 15th, 11:14 am

Saw this for the first time at Sony’s e3 pre-show the other day and, it looks sooo fun. Thank you very much for supporting PSVR, I will gladly pick this up day one.

BrianMcGuinness said:

June 15th, 12:03 pm

Played this on an Oculus earlier this year. We played it for about 5 hours straight. It’s one of the funnest games I’ve ever played. I’ll definitely get it for PS4 and it might make me buy VR finally too. It’s that good.

paulogy said:

June 15th, 1:04 pm

I have been really looking forward to playing this on PlayStation, and it seems like a perfect fit for PSVR :-D

Vyprstryke said:

June 15th, 4:12 pm

YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!! Loved it on Xbox so happily getting this bundle when it drops!

sciteach said:

June 15th, 4:13 pm

when i first saw this game i wished it to be for psvr… i just never spoke my thoughts aloud as to hopefully not set my dreams too high. so glad it’s coming now!

YODA798907 said:

June 15th, 6:34 pm

Please update the PlayStation Vue app on Roku!!!

GunnerFCm said:

June 16th, 6:31 am

Just picked up a PSVR on the strength of Sony’s showing at E3 this year. This is one of the games that informed that decision. Can’t wait!

plingativator said:

June 16th, 9:39 am

Dang, I just bought this on Xbox a month ago because I thought it wasn’t ever coming here. Haven’t played too much yet though so I’ll probably pick up the PSVR version now. Looking forward to it!

Marekhubinsky257 said:

June 18th, 4:55 am

Ok

KidGreengene said:

June 19th, 6:09 am

There had to a be contractual reason this was not on stage at E3… this is the type of game and hyp that moves units. Not Fishing Fantasy XV. Thanks for bringing this over.

Thrill_Kill said:

June 22nd, 3:45 am

What I don’t get is, now that the PS4 Pro is THE console to go to for VR 3D Content, watching 3D BluRay movies on the PS VR, AND it STILL has some games in 3D also like Super Stardust, Trine series, + Zombie Army Trilogy just to name a few, then WHY on earth can we not get more games in 3D using the PS4 Pro technology?

PLEASE Sony, remake more games with 3D in mind using the PS4 Pro technology so we can see the games that were in 3D before only with better framerate, and resolution! Remake the Killzone Trilogy in true 1080p + 3D, and Motorstorm Trilogy in 1080p + 3D, and PLEASE if your going to remake Shadow of the Colossus AGAIN, I beg you guys to KEEP the Stereoscopic 3D that the PS3 game had, just ramp up the resolution + framerate + polish the game up with some new HDR lighting, include ICO and it’s GOLD!

Thrill_Kill said:

June 22nd, 4:02 am

continued…

Also, can we PLEASE get some patches for more games to have 3D or even VR also like the Gran Turismo series, and PLEASE can you get someone to make a FULL box set of ALL Souls/Bloodborne games remastered in 1080p/4K + 3D with all bugs patched, better framerate, and Demons Souls polished to the max (including the unfinished stage that was not in the original release)?

I think EVERYONE is hoping for this to happen now that the PS4 Pro is out, and has the true power to do everything in Proper 1080p+3D or 4k+HDR, (just give us a choice in options menu), and now that I have 4 3DTV sets in 1080p+4K with 3D+HDR + 3 PS4 Pro consoles, I’m READY for REAL 3D + VR gaming!

The fact that I bought Uncharted Collection on the PS4 expecting a remastered FULL experience, and got Unchated 3 with no 3D option on my PS4 Pro blew my mind! I cannot believe that the game looked better on the PS3 in 3D than it did on the PS4 flat as paper. This is not acceptable, especially now that we have the proper power to do justice to 3D games.

Thrill_Kill said:

June 22nd, 4:08 am

Continued…final part:

Please Sony make this happen, and please patch the games that deserve 3D options, and bring over the ones that you could not do justice with from last gen using 3D and even VR technology. The “other” console can’t even do 3D or VR, so you can now dominate the entire playing field in these areas, so please take advantage of this, and show the people what the Pro can do, and how amazing 3D and VR can look!

All first party exclusives deserve this, esp. God of War’s, Killzone’s, Motorstorms, the incoming ICO+Shadow remaster, and Hideo Kojima’s new Death Stranding! 3D movies are still coming out left and right in many countries in the theater’s and on BluRay discs, and Avatar 2 in 4K/8K with 3D is right around the corner. Believe it or not 3D is far from dead, and I think that the new Avatar 2 will do for 3DTV’s what the first one did and kickstart another new era of 4K-8K 3DTV sets, and breathe new life into the 3D world and you can own this with the PS4 Pro, lets do it right this gen!