PlayStation VR

Jun 28

Jun 28

Orcs Must Die Unchained Invades PS4 on July 18

War Mages, ready your traps! The action-packed tower defense series comes to PlayStation next month.

Laura Barrett's Avatar Posted by Community Manager, Robot Entertainment

Greetings, War Mages.

Harmonia here, Community Manager at Robot Entertainment. I have some very exciting news to share: Orcs Must Die Unchained is coming to PS4 on July 18! Finally your orc-smashing, ogre-crushing, and kobold-crunching dreams can become a reality from the comfort of your couch!

After a fantastic showing at last year’s PlayStation Experience, we wrapped up our open beta and launched Orcs Must Die Unchained for PC in April. Now we are thrilled to announce that the game will be arriving on PS4 with new content, game modes, and regular updates. All this for the low, low price of… nothing. That’s right! Orcs Must Die Unchained is free to play.

For those who are unfamiliar with Orcs Must Die Unchained, it takes the award-winning Orcs Must Die action tower defense gameplay to a whole new level with three-player team-based gameplay. Slay the invading hordes to protect your Rift, but don’t get cocky because the stakes are higher, the traps are bloodier, and the invaders are even more ravenous. You’ll need to bring your A-game and a couple of the biggest orc-haters you can find to fight off these hordes!

Set in the familiar world of its hilarious predecessors, Unchained introduces a pantheon of powerful new heroes, deadly traps, dynamic maps, and a variety of gameplay modes for players to hack, grind, flatten, gibletize, incinerate, and fling orcs in defense of the Rift. Defeat the invading armies to collect and upgrade traps, traits, and other powerful items. You’ll go from apprentice to rift lord in no time!

Survival mode lets players slay their way to the top of the orc pile in 3-player co-op defense gameplay. Sabotage mode puts two teams of three head-to-head; troll the opposing team with powerful spells designed to weaken their defenses and summon enemies to overrun them — but be on guard as they’ll be doing the same. Weekly Challenges give players the chance to conquer challenging, inventive scenarios. Endless mode will keep the orcs, ogres, and other uglies comin’ until you break.

In celebration of the release, PlayStation Plus players who install Unchained can jump-start their orc-smashing careers with an exclusive package of in-game currency, skins, consumables, and more. Valued at more than $20, this bundle is free for Plus members until August 17!

See you at the rift on July 18!

Add Your Own

Maelstorm1226 said:

June 28th, 6:12 am

Curious, will this have split screen co-op??

Laura Barrett's Avatar

Laura Barrett said:

June 28th, 10:41 am

Hi Maelstorm, great question!

OMDU won’t have split screen co-op. Players can create parties with their friends or use the matchmaker to create groups to tackle content together.

CidRex999 said:

June 29th, 8:38 am

If there isnt it will be a pass for me. Getting tired of all the fun looking multiplayer games being online only. People couch co-op isnt dead. Please stop leaving out couch co-op. Try to remeber all the fun you use to have killing times with your friends playing rogether in the same room

PvtPoopy said:

July 16th, 5:25 pm

I couldn’t agree more about the lack of good couch co-op. My wife and I played PixelJunk Monsters for years. Why they haven’t done a followup is beyond me. Most of the newer (even though many do have co-op), have been pretty boring. This is also why we love Diablo 3. We love those rifts like no tomorrow. No I am not going to buy more PS4s just play these games. Doubling the costs is not the answer. Was looking forward tot his, but doesn’t look like it will work for us.

SigLovesSin said:

July 18th, 9:29 am

I agree on the couch co-op. More & more couples are playing together today, especially when it comes to the less hardcore games. My girlfriend & I struggled to find a small handful of games that we can play together. This looks like one that would be made for co-op.

Valde_zerocool said:

June 28th, 6:52 am

Loved the demo at PSX it was a lot of fun. Will it have a platinum trophy?

Laura Barrett's Avatar

Laura Barrett said:

June 28th, 10:43 am

Thanks for stopping by the booth, Valde_zerocool! Glad to hear you enjoyed the demo version.

We *will* have a platinum trophy available. Great news for trophy hunters!

Halekio said:

July 17th, 5:59 am

Same here. Couch COOP is where it’s at for me. And this game looked a perfect candidate for that. Would have been fun. Ohh well there are others.

shane718 said:

June 28th, 7:52 am

I also loved it at PSX and it’s so hard to believe I played this 7 months ago and it’s now just getting a chance to come out. I didn’t even realize it would be free to play. I’m enjoying free to play titles like Marvel Heroes Omega already and will download this one too once it’s out.

Laura Barrett's Avatar

Laura Barrett said:

June 28th, 10:47 am

Right on, we’re so glad you had a chance to play during PSX!

In addition to bringing the game from PC to PS4 we’ve added a *ton* of content to the game since that demo, so it’s taken a bit of time to bring it over. We’re thrilled to be releasing on Playstation and can’t wait to hear responses and feedback from the Playstation community.

Dragonchasers said:

June 28th, 10:44 am

In case like me you read this post and thought this was a multiplayer-only title, I have a friend who works at Robot who tells me you can play it solo as well. In fact he says he mostly plays solo.

Laura Barrett's Avatar

Laura Barrett said:

June 28th, 10:50 am

Absolutely! I often play solo myself.

OMDU allows for parties of 1 to 3 players, and the game has a matchmaking system that helps solo players find parties as well. It’s always a party when you’re gibbing orcs, even if it’s a party of one :)

death_nation100 said:

June 28th, 11:29 am

Well Finally i have been waiting years for this game !!

RISE_UP44 said:

June 28th, 1:06 pm

Looks interesting, i may have to check it out.

Loco4FourLoko said:

June 29th, 6:01 am

I remember when this game was listed on the drop for ps vita like 4 years ago. Then it never happened, glad to see it didnt just die. Looks like fun

musibat said:

July 17th, 6:27 am

At last. this has taken ages to come to PS4. loved the first one cant wait to get my hand on this new instalment

Martok2112 said:

July 18th, 5:38 am

I loved the OMD games. Had the first one on Xbox 360, and the second on PC (when, at the time, the devs seemed to think that PC players were its core support, and not console players…..which was a real off-putter for me, and I’m sure a lot of other players.)

Now, it’s being brought to PS4 for FREE as a new bundle. Ok, awesome!!! It’s a PS4 Exclusive! More awesome!!!

However, it looks like lots of folks are asking: Why is there no couch co-op/competitive play? I really don’t have to worry about it, my roomie and I both have PS4s, but there are lots of folks who simply cannot afford, or just aren’t inclined to get another PS4 in their home. Devs really do need to think of the people who enjoy the social nature of couch co-op/competitive play.

The only irk I’m having right now is that it is July 18th….and where is the game? I’m not seeing it in the PS Store.

xBOBARINOx said:

July 18th, 6:45 am

its july 18th 2017 and the game does NOT exist in the PS store. Thats too bad. Maybe next year…….

Martok2112 said:

July 18th, 8:13 am

Ah HA! Now it’s available! :)

Time for some orc trapping mayhem!

zane666000 said:

July 18th, 12:40 pm

This would be a great game if u installed couch co op until then it’s a pass

Martok2112 said:

July 19th, 5:04 pm

So, as with all FREEMIUM games (and make no mistake, folks, that’s what this is), you have to take the good with the bad.

The gameplay itself is easy enough to get a handle on, just like the previous two titles.
Advancement in this game is naturally slower than molasses in North Dakota in dead winter. If you want to advance a bit quicker, and get better weapons, perks, and such, you either have to play online multiplayer (which a lot of folks are likely not inclined to do) or spend real money on virtual items…and then at that, it’s a chance-taking venture, because you purchase chests with random items, rather than know precisely what you’re buying.

So, thanks to the devs for finally bringing this game to PS4, but they can also go tuck themselves up their glasses (well, at least it rhymes with what I’d prefer to say) for charging folks (or forcing players to tackle this game in a way they might not want to) just to make any meaningful advancement in this game.

I’ll rate it 2.5 stars out of 5.

Martok2112 said:

July 19th, 6:23 pm

First, I’m going to apologize for my poor choice of words. I did not wish to slam the devs of this game that hard, but freemium games do really tick me off

My irk with this kind of thing happened with Plants Vs Zombies 2. The devs for that game took all the great weapons from the original PvZ and turned them into purchase weapons. You couldn’t even earn them in PvZ 2. You had to buy them.

In this game, OMD!U, I have reached level 15, and have not noticed any discernible difference in my character’s effectiveness. Upgrades for traps and what not are coming wayyyy too slowly for me to actually enjoy being a level 15 character. In the first two games, character and trap development came at an acceptable pace. Here? Like I said, I have noticed no discernible increase in my weapon and trap effectiveness between lvl 1 and lvl 15.

(to be continued)

Martok2112 said:

July 19th, 6:24 pm

…continued from previous post…

And earning gold in this game seems pretty much impossible, save for one milestone log in. Beyond that, gold should be something that is EARNED, not BOUGHT.

Yes, I know the devs have to make their money for a freemium game, but devs seriously need to look at other ways to make money instead of punishing players by making them pay for items they should be able to earn (at an acceptable pace) in-game.

So, rant over. Time to go back to the futile effort of killing orcs in amusing ways.