God of War

Jun 29

Jun 29

PlayStation Blogcast 253: Baby Games

The gang talks next week's new games, PS Plus, Persona 5, and FFXIV Stormblood -- and ponders the best way to introduce future generations to gaming.

Justin Massongill's Avatar Posted by Social Media Manager, SIEA

Subscribe via iTunes, Spotify, Google or RSS, or download here

Welcome back! Join us on this week’s show as we reveal next week’s new PlayStation Store releases, chat about July’s PS Plus lineup, discuss our earliest gaming memories, and try to figure out the best way to introduce our children (and future children) to the medium of video games.

Stuff We Talked About

• Introducing our kids / future kids to gaming
  • Our earliest gaming memories
  • Until Dawn
  • Game of Thrones (the game and the show!)
  • Nex Machina
  • Persona 5
  • Strafe
  • FFXIV Stormblood

Recent Episodes

The Cast

Official PlayStation Blogcast: Sid ShumanOfficial PlayStation Blogcast: Justin MassongillOfficial PlayStation Blogcast: Ryan Clements

Sid Shuman – Director of Social Media, SIEA
Justin Massongill – Social Media Manager, SIEA
Ryan Clements – Sr. Social Media Specialist, SIEA

Send us questions and tips! blogcast@sony.com
Leave us a voicemail! (650) 288-6706

Thanks to Cory Schmitz for our beautiful logo and Dormilón for our rad theme song and show music.

Add Your Own

Tiroycarson said:

June 29th, 6:41 pm

Hey am a big fan of PlayStation from the beginning and ps4 pro is awesome and I well love if it’s there is a way that metal gear solid 4 is coming to ps4 as a remastered, i wonder if that can happen.

jgrizzle358 said:

June 30th, 5:33 am

I remember as a kid I grew up on PlayStation and Nintendo and even back then I had this weird fascination with being a completionist and recording games. It’s always been this addictive hobby for me. I would use our VHS player to record The Legend of Zelda Link to the Past and I remember in old Spyro games I would go out of my way to get all the gems and dragons/eggs before trophies were even a thing.

I remember doing the PS2 era had this VHS DVD combo and it had a built-in DVD burner. I would record Kingdom Hearts playthroughs on VHS side of things even going out of my way to pause the recording when I go into menus and stuff to make it look more like a “movie” so a early version of editing if you will and then on the same device I could burn that footage from the VHS tape onto a DVD.

Now we have YouTube and the built-in PS4 share feature so it’s more common now to record and share gameplay but I got an early start on it.

Justin Massongill's Avatar

Justin Massongill said:

June 30th, 2:23 pm

I did the same thing! I had separate VHS tapes for each console… pretty sure if I dig through my boxes back home I can find one for PS1, one for N64, one for PS2… man, those were the days.

Valde_zerocool said:

June 30th, 8:05 am

My earliest gaming memory was something called Vex Trex, it was a mini at home black arcade cabinet. My mom was into gaming back in the mid 80s so she bought it all.

Justin Massongill's Avatar

Justin Massongill said:

June 30th, 2:24 pm

Oh, I think a friend of mine has one of those!

ColonelOCorn said:

June 30th, 10:13 am

While my earliest memory is playing Pong (Yes, we had one of them there 2600’s) some of my fondest memories of gaming involve going to the arcade and pouring quarters into games like Space Invaders, Rush’N Attack, OutRun, Galaga and Dig Dug (and Terminator 2 pinball). Before they were console games, they were arcade classics! But then my bro and I bought our own NES and played many of those early console games like Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong, etc. (and Ikari Warriors, Sid!)

As far as getting my kids into classic console games, it’s kinda tough because I didn’t keep my old boxes. But eventually with Wii and Wii U, they got to try some of the older games. I think they appreciated them even though they weren’t their first experiences. I think they appreciated that though the games weren’t as pretty, they were tough, and (insert old dude voice) “We didn’t have any of those Youtubes when we were kids!” we had to just keep trying.

(Sid, the game you were doing the music of… Galaxian?)

Justin Massongill's Avatar

Justin Massongill said:

June 30th, 2:25 pm

“Bottom line though? Just play WITH your kids. It gives you a way to connect with them about something they care about! :)”

Perfectly said, Colonel. Thank you!

SVVOVANsv said:

July 17th, 11:47 pm

Hello!
About the competition on playstation.com!?

Who was the winner of the competition:
1. Score big with PlayStation F. C. Win tickets to the UEFA Champions League Final Milan 2016;
2. See the future Win the ultimate PlayStation VR setup;
3. Go for glory with PlayStation F. C. Win the UEFA Champions League Final tickets Cardiff 2017;
4. Live the game PlayStation VR Galactic Giveaway? Because the dates are already over?!
Or the winner is withheld from the public.
Thank you.