Knack 2

Jul 11

Jul 11

Mega Man Legacy Collection 2: New PS4 Theme Designed by Udon, Free for Pre-orders

How Udon designed the beautiful new PS4 theme you can get for free by pre-ordering the game at PlayStation Store.

Tim Turi's Avatar Posted by Associate Brand Manager, Capcom

The Blue Bomber is Mega Man’s nickname – but that iconic color is only one of many in his arsenal. Diehard fans know that the intrepid little robot can steal enemies’ powers and become every color of the rainbow in the process. Today we’re excited to reveal vivid, gorgeous new artwork by Udon Entertainment showcasing the splashy colors of Mega Man Legacy Collection 2. The fresh new artwork is featured in a PS4 theme you can get by preordering the game now. To mark the occasion, we spoke with Udon Entertainment artist, Jeffrey “Chamba” Cruz, about his role in creating this stunning new artwork.

Mega Man Legacy Collection 2

Robot Master Role Call

Everybody knows the heroic Mega Man and the evil Dr. Wily, but do you know all the Robot Master bosses flanking Mega Man from the sides?

(Top row to bottom row, left to right)
Astro Man – Mega Man 8
Blade Man – Mega Man 10
Shade Man – Mega Man 7
Tengu Man – Mega Man 8
Splash Woman – Mega Man 9
Slash Man – Mega Man 7
Magma Man – Mega Man 9
Nitro Man – Mega Man 10

Chamba has been creating beautiful artwork at Udon Entertainment for more than 10 years. Before that, he spent his childhood drawing colorful illustrations of dinosaurs, Transformers, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Chamba admits that despite not being great at Mega Man’s challenging platforming, he was captivated by the series’ catchy soundtracks and striking character designs.

“I was always a fan of the designs of the characters,” says Chamba. “They were so appealing and unique, while carrying a uniform feel throughout. Even with [simple graphics], each character felt larger than life and had very distinctive eyes and features that were immediately readable.”

Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 is a four-in-one celebration of the evolution and retro revolution of the series, including Mega Man 7, Mega Man 8, Mega Man 9, and Mega Man 10. To showcase all four games it was important to represent memorable Robot Masters – the fun, themed bosses – from each game in this compilation piece. Capcom worked closely with Chamba to nail every detail of the colorful characters and also convey a particular mood in the new artwork.

Mega Man Legacy Collection 2: Mega Man

Front and center in this artwork is Mega Man, of course. The hero looks capable and resolute, but his posture and half-raised Buster communicates that he’s up for a daunting challenge – and he knows it. Both Mega Man and his fans have been battling through challenging stages and villains for decades, and that means keeping your eyes sharp and standing your ground – like Mega Man here in this artwork. Chamba says he wanted to convey “…a hero ready and prepared to face off his foes. I was trying to convey determination and strength.”

Mega Man Legacy Collection 2

Looming above it all is the infamous Dr. Wily, the persistent villain behind the schemes of every original Mega Man title. Wily’s raised hands convey a man who believes he can hold the world in his hands. His unhinged eyes and wild grin suggest that he means to destroy it.

“I was aiming for power above all,” says Chamba about illustrating Dr. Wily. “One of looming domination and terror.”

Mega Man Legacy Collection 2: Slash Man

Chamba is a seasoned artist, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t face challenges when creating something new. Take Slash Man, for example. The nimble Robot Master makes for a tricky boss battle against players in Mega Man 7, and he also gave Chamba a prickly time.

“I find his design somewhat tricky to get right.” Says Chamba. “He’s got an enormous number of spikes and points coming off of him, which takes a tad longer to draw correctly than others.”

Mega Man Legacy Collection 2: Tengu Man

Speaking of little character details, players will experience the evolution of the series’ visuals while taking on Mega Man 7 (16-bit) and Mega Man 8 (32-bit). The advancement of technology enabled the Capcom developers of the ‘90s to create more detailed, asymmetrical characters like Junk Man from Mega Man 7 or Tengu Man from Mega Man 8 (one of Chamba’s favorites). Chamba says that while the increased details and broader color palettes opened up more options to Capcom’s artists compared to 8-bit titles (like Mega Man 9 & 10), it likely posed a challenge to preserving the series’ visual identity.

“To maintain a somewhat streamlined, simplistic style, yet enhancing the little details, is indeed a balancing act which I feel the game designers achieved,” says Chamba. “My role was somewhat made easy due to that [increased detail]. The only real challenge I faced was to do the designs justice in my depictions.”

If you like Chamba’s moody-yet-lively take on the latter Mega Man titles, you can see it every time you use your PS4. Pre-order Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 today and you’ll instantly receive a Theme featuring this new artwork.

As for the game, Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 packs four of the Blue Bomber’s timeless adventures into one package. In addition to faithful versions of MM7, MM8, MM9, & MM10, the collection includes other bonuses such as stage remix challenges, online leaderboards, a museum mode, all DLC for MM9 & MM10, and more! Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 arrives for PlayStation 4 on August 8.

Add Your Own

glassmusic said:

July 11th, 9:46 am

Oh boy, the number of hours I’ve pumped into 7 and 8!

9 and 10 just kick my butt so I’m not really interested in revising them. I felt they were hard for the sake of it. I appreciated the 8-bit style though I felt it was kind of lazy.

Might wait for a sale since I’m only interested in 7 and 8. :)

Tim Turi's Avatar

Tim Turi said:

July 11th, 9:52 am

Thanks for checking out this article! If you’re interested in getting revenge on 9 and 10, Mega Man Legacy 2 includes Checkpoint Saves and “Extra Armor” for Mega Man to shave down a few of the (super brutal) sharp edges in the games.

MM7 & MM8 are great, too. What makes those two of your favs?

Tim Turi's Avatar

Tim Turi said:

July 11th, 10:18 am

Man, mastering these games until you can dominate them in one sitting is one of that true joys ever gamer should experience. Most recently in the franchise, MM9 was that game for me. Loved the challenges!

But yes, MM8 is a really fun, colorful game. I had a great chat with one of the founders of WayForward at E3 and he discussed how influential the game’s animations were on establishing that studio’s DNA :D

shrap_x said:

July 11th, 10:06 am

For fans of the classic series, 9 and 10 were fairly equivalent with regards to difficulty.

I enjoy them all. Especially the soundtracks. 7 had some excellent music. 8’s music is a little odd but still some good tracks (plus Duo). 9 and 10 were classic 8-bit goodness.

glassmusic said:

July 11th, 10:10 am

Those modes sound right up my alley. Hahaha ;)

I’d been playing the MM series since I was a small child (I was born in 82). I was a huge fan of the NES games. So when 7 came out on SNES I felt like I was getting fan service BUT with updated / gorgeous graphics. Same for MM8 which I played on my Playstation. It was another advancement in graphics while keeping the heart of the series firmly intact. I got to the point where I could 100% the game in one sitting quite quickly. MM 8 is probably my favorite of the series, with 4 close behind. :)

CyborgGreyFox said:

July 11th, 1:23 pm

Tell me about it! 7 was such an awesome game. It was only when I got older and started interacting with the fandom that I realized it wasn’t that popular. I can’t wait to revisit it tho. Megaman will always be one of my favorite franchise.

Speaking of which… I hope there’s plans for a MMKX legacy!

sices4ever said:

July 11th, 7:00 pm

This is nice, but I’m still waiting for the Mega Man X collection

gohan16ken said:

July 11th, 9:46 am

Dear Capcom, please bring SF2, SF3, SFA, and CvS (if possible) to PS4. Thanks.

Tim Turi's Avatar

Tim Turi said:

July 11th, 10:16 am

Tim Turi's Avatar

Tim Turi said:

July 11th, 10:18 am

Oops – accidentally responded to this comment instead.

Thanks for making your passion heard :D

Tim Turi's Avatar

Tim Turi said:

July 11th, 9:50 am

Thanks to those who took a second to check out this awesome art by the very talented Chamba over at Udon, and if you read the article a bonus thanks!

Question to the fans: Who is your favorite Robot Master in the piece?

My answer is usually Shade Man, but I’m feeling especially fond of Nitro Man today. Here’s one of my favorite remixes of his awesome theme from MM10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhEGM4uoSQo

shrap_x said:

July 11th, 9:59 am

Turbo Man is from Mega Man 7.
The robot pictured is Nitro Man, from Mega Man 10.

Tim Turi's Avatar

Tim Turi said:

July 11th, 10:01 am

You know your Robot Masters-who-transform-into-vehicles well. I spotted that typo immediately and we’re in the process of updating it thank you :D

Tim Turi's Avatar

Tim Turi said:

July 11th, 10:09 am

Thanks, i agree Udon did killer work. If you’re looking for something a little new, this has remix stage challenges and a Mega Man museum. All of the DLC for MM9 & 10 are in there (you ever take on the Mega Man Killers?)

That said, do you have a fav Robot Master from the above art?

shrap_x said:

July 11th, 10:01 am

It is a sweet theme. Currently undecided if I need yet another copy of each of these games, but I might go for it.

shrap_x said:

July 11th, 10:18 am

From that list?
    I’m gonna have to go with either Shade Man or Tengu Man.
    I like their designs.

The Mega Man Killers were tough stages, but yeah got them done.

dkarlowicz10 said:

July 11th, 10:17 am

Love the MM games. Any chance of a future Mega Man X Collection?

shrap_x said:

July 11th, 10:19 am

I second this. On PS4. With trophies. Yes, please.
    It would be even better if they include content removed from the X Collection they originally planned to do, but scrapped because Maverick Hunter X came out.
    Such as re-translations and re-dubbing.

FreedomKME said:

July 11th, 12:09 pm

Mega Man X8 deserves a second chance. They can skip X7.

BlaqMagiq24 said:

July 11th, 10:37 am

I will get this at a later date. But what I REALLY want is a Mega Man X Legacy Collection.. That would be an instant Day 1.

Guyper said:

July 11th, 10:44 am

It’s either Megaman or Street Fighter when it comes to bringing old school games to the modern system. That’s it.

Where’s King of Dragons? Where’s Captain Commando?

Capcom needs to have more faith with their other not so popular games.

BeastKiller6ixx said:

July 11th, 12:01 pm

When they make the Megaman X Collection. I’ll be interested. Those have been the only megaman games that have ever really caught my attention.

BrianMcGuinness said:

July 11th, 1:09 pm

They just interviewed Dr. Wily on the Playable Characters Podcast. It’s hilarious if you guys wanna check it out.

Korahn27 said:

July 11th, 1:37 pm

Already have and dominated 9 and 10 on the 360 and used to have 7 & 8 on another collection (wasn’t fond of them) so I believe I’ll pass on this one. Still have the first legacy collection to play with. Now if/when an X collection is released, I’ll be all over that!

Senjutsu_Dav said:

July 11th, 2:49 pm

What I need is a Megaman X collection! ^_^

pablikenemy79 said:

July 11th, 5:46 pm

I know, this game will never come to Vita.. So what about Switch !?

WaveLightning777 said:

July 11th, 8:39 pm

I’m kinda hoping Power Battle and Power Fighters (….maybe MM & Bass too) are secret games, being kept under wraps ’til release. We had Anniversary Collection way back in the 6th generation, and between this and Legacy Collection 1, those two arcade games are all that are really missing from the current gen… that said, still preordered this right away.

redcar200 said:

July 11th, 9:29 pm

Tip: If you put a platinum in your game it will sell better.

Zezzler said:

July 11th, 9:44 pm

So excited to play play through Mega Man 9 & 10 again. Such good games! Hopefully the Mega Man Legacy Collection X is in the works soon too :)

streetskater94 said:

July 14th, 3:26 pm

i agree those are the best games in the series.

MRS_SINISTER789 said:

July 11th, 9:50 pm

Although I love megaman.. and glad to see these legacy collections. I’ll have to pass on this one :( but I’d love to see all the megaman X games in a collection ! I’d buy that

Fuhr31 said:

July 12th, 1:05 pm

I see there’s a trend starting of offering themes for preorders. I have been saying for some time that themes should come with games, but tying them to pointless preorders is not cool. A more interesting idea would be to unlock a theme as part of gaining a certain trophy. Oh well, your business, do as you choose.

streetskater94 said:

July 14th, 3:24 pm

pleae give us a ps4 megaman x collection next.