PlayStation VR

Jul 18

Jul 18

First Look at Undertale PS4 Theme, Closer Look at Physical Editions

Pre-order Undertale at PlayStation Store to get a lovely new PS4 Dynamic Theme, featuring a new song by creator Toby Fox.

Toby Fox's Avatar Posted by Creator, Undertale

(A small white dog emerges from a shrine’s donation box.)

見て、エブリわん!UNDERTALE が…

…Oh, I forgot. This is the English version.

(Giant angry eyebrows slide onto the dog’s face.)

HEY GAMERS!!! I’VE GOT NEWS FOR YOU!!!!

(The camera zooms in up close.)

I’M VERY EXCITED FOR YOU TO PLAY MY GAME SOON!!!

That’s right: If all goes well, Undertale is coming out for PS4 and Vita on August 15th! You’ll be able to download it on PSN.

Undertale on PS4 & PS Vita

Let’s have another round of Q&A to clear up all the questions you might have:

Q: When is the game coming out?
A: August 15th, Billy! 2017, Billy! Didn’t you just hear me?!

Q: Will the game support Cross-Buy?
A: Yes, it supports Cross-Buy, so if you have a PS4 and a Vita, you only have to buy it once!

Q: Will there be any pre-order bonuses? Such as a…new dynamic PS4 theme made by Truant Pixel with art by Merrigo and a new minute-long song by Toby Fox?
A: Yes specifically to all those things! If you pre-order Undertale on PSN, you’ll get an original dynamic PS4 theme I helped design. Check it out below!

Q: Gee, can’t I just go into a game store and buy Undertale?
A: Billy!! NO!! It’s digital! You have to download it on PSN! It won’t be in stores!!

However, Fangamer will be producing physical versions and a Collector’s Edition in September, so if you really want a physical version, you’ll be able to buy that on Fangamer.com. Actually, pre-orders are open now!

Undertale on PS4 & PS Vita

Q: Tell me… more about Fangamer’s physical version.
A: It’s like the game but on a disc, so hardcore fans will be able to have fun accidentally losing it or stepping on it.

Q: No, I mean, what’s… What’s in the Collector’s Edition?
A: Oh, right. You sound sleepy, so I’ll just tell you in simple bullet points:

• Available in PS4 or PS Vita versions
  • Undertale Soundtrack with cover art by fan artist Cocoa Ando. Also, a couple tracks added, like the PS4 Theme background music
  • 24-page booklet featuring a re-illustration of the opening sequence by Temmie Chang! (She made those originally, you know…)
  • Reversible cover you’ll immediately regret realizing is reversible
  • Music Box Locket that was a pain to make because the previous factory kept making it off tempo
  • Undertale sheet music booklet featuring six songs with annotations by me that reveal their blatantly obvious inspirations
  • Pre-orders available now on Fangamer.com!

Undertale on PS4 & PS VitaUndertale on PS4 & PS Vita

Q: Zzzzz….
A: Billy? Billy. Wake up, Billy.

Q: I’m sorry, listening to all those bullet points made me fall asleep. When is the game coming out again?
A: The game came out 7 years ago, Billy.

Q: …
A: You’ve been sleeping for 7 years, Billy.

Q: Wh… What? Oh my god… Where… Where am I? Where is everyone?
A: Pre-order Undertale on PSN today!

Q: How do I get out of here?!
A: Pre-order Undertale on PSN today!

Add Your Own

Goldanas said:

July 18th, 8:45 am

This was certainly a post. I feel as though I can hear Solid Snake whispering about memes in the distance.

Question for you, Toby, if you’re around. I’ve not played the game personally, but I’ve heard it praised for certain save file shenanigans. Will some of these more technical bits of trickery still be retained in these versions of the game?

Mjolnirs said:

July 18th, 9:00 am

Maybe play the game instead of trying to ruin the surprise for yourself and everyone else.

TheSealedWolf said:

July 19th, 7:24 pm

Mjolnirs, this isn’t a spoiler. Maybe a gameplay mechanic spoiler, but not an important one.

tfacination said:

July 20th, 7:48 am

I’ve played through the whole game at least en times and the save file magic is an integral part of the game. So i would guess that if he couldn’t get that to work he wouldn’t have moved it to PS4 in the first place.

i_illusion said:

July 18th, 9:05 am

Woop! Praise ketchup. Pre-Orders are up for my birthday, just snagged a Collectors Edition for PS4. I already bought the game twice for PC, might as well see how a PS4 version goes. Praise Toby!

Tuulenpoika said:

July 18th, 9:11 am

I just pre-ordered the physical Vita version. Really glad to see this happening, a handheld version of the game was the one thing I was left wanting after I finished the original version.

Is the Vita version going to be compatible with PS TV?

Toby Fox's Avatar

John Ricciardi said:

July 19th, 7:34 am

PS TV support is planned, yep!

Roaming_Ryu said:

July 18th, 9:53 am

My wife and I have his and her shelves of our favourite video games. After playing Undertale on PC I told her that it was a shame there wasn’t a physical copy, because it’d go up there within my top games of all time. And here we are. Just preordered the Collector’s Edition. Really looking forward to it!

Beargram said:

July 18th, 9:57 am

I laughed harder than I should have at the angry eyebrows joke.

al2009man said:

July 18th, 10:10 am

Did any of you started chopping Onions while watching their PS4 Dynamic Theme video?

Bijatron said:

July 18th, 10:28 am

見て、エブリわん!

…I see what you did there.

V●ᴥ●V

This joke made me laugh, so I wanted to make sure it wasn’t lost on anyone.

見て、エブリわん sounds like “Me te, eburiwan,” which is “Look, everyone!”

But that わん “wan” at the end is the sound a dog makes in Japanese. Instead of “bark” or “woof,” it’s “wan.”

So the fact the “wan” sounds like “one” in the word “everyone” (eburiwan) is a pretty solid pun.

Toby and 8-4, your Japanese fans have something very special to look forward to!

Qualitygamer said:

July 18th, 10:57 am

Immediately pre-purchased on PSN for the theme. I’ll get the Collector’s Edition for the locket another time.
I’m not hurting for an avatar switch or anything, but hopefully there’s Undertale avatars on playstation in the future. would be way hotter than a theme

infamousgodV2_0 said:

July 18th, 11:11 am

No physical from gamestop, walmart or bestbuy = no buy sorry well not a total no buy if its any good i’ll buy it on sale on PSN though this screams PlayStation plus game.

anszbd1 said:

July 18th, 11:38 am

Already bought this on pc but will buy it again on ps4 because its cross-buy with psvita. I hope the games has cross-save.

Toby Fox's Avatar

John Ricciardi said:

July 18th, 11:36 pm

No Cross-Save, unfortunately! We considered it early on but it’s difficult to make work well with a game that saves the way this one does. In any case, thanks for double-dipping!

Trendy_Kid said:

July 18th, 12:40 pm

That theme is so beautiful. Definitely pre-ordering….and I already beat the game, several times on PC!!

ShaunOfTheN00bs said:

July 18th, 1:58 pm

The music that goes with the pre-order theme bonus is now officially my headcanon level music for New Home. Also, is the theme included as part of the collector’s edition?

Toby Fox's Avatar

John Ricciardi said:

July 19th, 8:46 am

Physical and Collector’s Edition pre-orders for the first run Fangamer is producing will get a voucher for the theme when the game ships. (NA only, though, sorry!)

kowa2000 said:

July 18th, 2:14 pm

Oh no. I preordered the game on the german PSN store and no dynamic theme showed up. Please tell me this is not a is store exclusive thing :(

Toby Fox's Avatar

John Ricciardi said:

July 19th, 12:03 am

Thanks for pre-ordering! In Europe, the theme is delivered with the game on release day. In North America, it’s delivered instantly. (This is just how it works, as far as we know. Sorry we couldn’t control that part!)

kowa2000 said:

July 18th, 2:15 pm

Woops, I meant to say US store exclusive.

ShaunOfTheN00bs said:

July 18th, 2:17 pm

I’ve been wondering and worrying this as well, my dude. Even if it is, I imagine the community backlash will probably change that

kowa2000 said:

July 19th, 12:28 am

Hey John! Thanks for your reply!
    Well, if it’s just a “delayed” delivery here in the EU store, that’s not a problem at all. Glad to hear it’s coming! :)

whereymyconary said:

July 18th, 2:31 pm

Whelp that’s been probably one of my favorite post on this blog to read. Will have to check it out when it’s released. I knew nothing about it until today. Yey new things.

brn-dn said:

July 18th, 3:27 pm

The theme looks great! I’m having trouble deciding if I want the digital or physical version of the game.

xKagetorax said:

July 18th, 7:31 pm

Any chance that we can buy that theme? I grabbed a collectors edition preorder and that theme is too good.

xKagetorax said:

July 18th, 7:33 pm

Disregard
    “PS4 and PS Vita preorders will receive a voucher for a special PS4 theme designed by Toby Fox. “

vanixi said:

July 18th, 8:08 pm

sorry where di d u find the info about the voucher for the theme?

Pixelguin said:

July 18th, 9:15 pm

The info is on Fangamer’s site.

“PS4 and PS Vita preorders will receive a voucher for a special PS4 theme designed by Toby Fox. The voucher will be delivered by e-mail when your order ships, and is only valid for North American PSN accounts.”

the_man72 said:

July 18th, 7:48 pm

Pre-Ordered not bad looking game loving the theme

sigy497 said:

July 19th, 2:19 am

Hi If I preorder ps4 collector’s edition from fangamer (as I can see that’s the only place for preorders) will it wor on european ps4?

dancilancilism3 said:

July 19th, 3:54 am

So I was just wondering since it’s a cross buy game, will the physical editions come with a code inside of them for the other version (Vita version code included in PS4 box/PS4 version code included in Vita box)? I pre-ordered the CE of the PS4 version simply because I wanted the goodies that come in that version, but would really like to be able to play the game on the go and not just at home.

Toby Fox's Avatar

John Ricciardi said:

July 19th, 8:48 am

Cross-buy is for digital versions only. :)

eraldaine said:

July 19th, 4:27 am

I’m absolutely psyched but I have to ask… when can we expect to see a release of the full leitmotif….

salvogdaze said:

July 19th, 5:34 am

That was fun.

I managed to not play this awesome game, saying bullet hell gives me hell. But now I’m convinced this game will follow me everywhere I go, and just keep making a cameo here and there until I succumb to the pressure of not having played a game so original. So I have to play it. And make my girlfriend play the bullet hell parts for me. Oh yes, this is brilliant. I am brilliant right now.

ZanerAwesome said:

July 19th, 5:41 am

Is there any way to get the sheet music by itself?

Legendary_Muta said:

July 19th, 6:10 am

Is there any reason why the Australian player base doesn’t get access to the theme after purchasing? Read this blog, raced over to my playstation to place a digital preorder just for the theme, and after all that there is no theme in sight :(

Hopefully I’m just being an idiot and I’ve just missed something.

general798 said:

July 19th, 7:44 am

Are there plans to sell the theme separately? Current financial situation prevents me from being able to pre-order this, sadly.

the_FREELANCER said:

July 19th, 8:55 am

Beautiful dynamic theme and nice work teaming up with those 8-4 boys and girls!

Kishnabe said:

July 19th, 9:17 am

Pre-Ordered the Standard Vita Physical version. Thanks for bringing this to PSN.

icey_fresh said:

July 19th, 10:40 am

Toby my good guy, please tell me if it’s not already a thing that you could talk something out with Playstation about getting that Dynamic Theme available for the people who nabbed a Collectors edition for the PS4. It’s too good pass up and sucks it’s not included in the CE. I’ll pay money for it separately if I have too but it’s gonna suck if it’s exclusive T.T

Toby Fox's Avatar

John Ricciardi said:

July 19th, 10:50 pm

If you got a CE pre-order in as part of this initial run, you’ll get the theme when the CE ships, no worries! :)

icey_fresh said:

July 25th, 9:56 am

Nice! Thanks for the heads up, John. Now I really can’t wait for this to release. ^.^

ABYSS77 said:

July 19th, 2:21 pm

Just preordered the PS4 collector edition, just curious if the physical editions are only for the specific platform you get it for or is there still cross buy support? (ie. get some sort of voucher for the vita version digitally?) I’m assuming not but just wondering.

Toby Fox's Avatar

John Ricciardi said:

July 24th, 10:26 pm

The physical editions ar e for the specific platform you selected, right. (Cross-buy is for digital only.)

Thanks for pre-ordering! :D

toopoop7 said:

July 19th, 2:42 pm

Am I the only one who noticed the trophy level on that?
level 123? Jesus Christ!

megadread909 said:

July 19th, 10:08 pm

Very excited for this game! When will the cross buy going to be available?

megadread909 said:

July 19th, 10:09 pm

When will the cross buy be available?*

supertails15 said:

July 20th, 8:23 am

and the collector edition is sold out in one day

supertails15 said:

July 20th, 8:25 am

are you guys going to make more collection editions.

Noctis_Lumia said:

July 20th, 8:26 am

I live in France, and I preordered the game on the PSN, will I get the theme for preorder too because I can’t find it?

Toby Fox's Avatar

John Ricciardi said:

July 20th, 10:52 pm

DragonKiller517 said:

July 20th, 6:06 pm

Is this the real game comeing on Ps4 or the sound track?

xXSHADOWKLAWXx46 said:

July 20th, 11:01 pm

If you got the collector’s edition, do you still get the theme or do you have to buy it digitaly?

assassinlegend89 said:

July 21st, 11:55 am

Is there any chance that we could buy the theme at some point?

Monkey5575 said:

July 22nd, 2:55 am

I’m so excited! Just one question, for which 6 songs will there be sheet music in the collector’s edition?

CyberSubKenshin said:

July 23rd, 9:58 pm

So this post explains a lot.

But, what confuses me is how to get the dynamic theme with a physical copy. Will it be a code, maybe?

Toby Fox's Avatar

John Ricciardi said:

July 24th, 4:51 am

That’s right – it’ll come in the form of a download code that will be delivered when the physical versions ship. :)

JJervonC2 said:

July 24th, 5:33 am

Will there be co op in this version?

megadread909 said:

July 25th, 2:37 am

If I preorder it on the ps4 psn store will I have to buy it again for the ps vita?

Toby Fox's Avatar

John Ricciardi said:

July 26th, 11:24 pm

Nope! It’s Cross-buy, so if you pre-order it on PSN for PS4, you’ll get the Vita version as well at launch.

Racine369 said:

August 3rd, 1:32 pm

i will like to know if you add french language in the game because my kids don’t read english for now end they really want to play the game.

TheGameKiller_12 said:

August 6th, 2:27 am

If I get the collector’s edition will it come with a dynamic theme code or only pre-ordering?

BgPpaPmp said:

August 14th, 7:17 pm

How will the cross buy work? Do you get sent a code via email for the vita edition after preordering the ps4 version?