Knack 2

Jul 20

Jul 20

ChromaGun is Like Portal, Except It’s Not – And It’s Coming to PlayStation 4 August 22

Remember how to mix colors from pre-school? Congratulations, you qualify! Now get to work.

Steve Crouse's Avatar Posted by Creative Director, Pixel Maniacs

Hey there, all you beautiful potential test subjects!

Steve here, Creative Director at Pixel Maniacs – I’m super excited to announce our debut title is finally making its way onto PlayStation! [Cue applause sound]

Players have been loving ChromaGun, calling it “Portal, but with colors instead”, “perfect, for the time you’re waiting for the next Portal”, and “the closest thing we’ll ever get to a Portal sequel”. If you’ve read along carefully, you might have noticed the mention of Portal once or twice, but more on that later.

ChromaGun is a first-person puzzler about colors. Use your gun (guess what it’s called), to colorize droids and walls. Droids are attracted by walls of the same color, and by cleverly utilizing this mechanic, you’ll try to solve all sorts of puzzles to make it to the exit. The ChromaGun can only shoot red, yellow, and blue – but don’t worry, we have you covered. Shoot a previously colored wall or droid, to mix colors into orange, purple, and green. Be wary of gray, though. Since it’s technically not a color, it loses all its attraction properties, the rascal!

Chromagun on PS4

Now that you know what ChromaGun is, let’s talk about PS4 – and what we did to make ChromaGun a special experience on it. When we started developing the PlayStation version, we completely revamped the graphics and lighting, redid all the sound effects, pumped up the models and textures, and did some more things to some other stuff. What was most fun, however, were the little things we added for the PS4-version. Things like controller vibration, just make the game feel much more immersive. DualShock 4 speaker helps bring immersive sound to the game, and the light bar gives the player immediate feedback on their current ammo type (remember how ammo in ChromaGun is paint?). This works especially well with the new DualShock 4, with its streak of light on the touchpad, allowing us to extend our HUD outside the game. Sexy!

Why, now, does ChromaGun look so familiar, and why was the word “Portal” mentioned so often earlier? As it turns out, when you make a first-person shooter, in which you use an experimental type of gun to solve chamber-based puzzles, while a snarky narrator gives you crap about your progress, people draw comparisons. Who knew? And they’re not even wrong! On first sight, ChromaGun looks remarkably similar to Valve’s cult hit. There’s the narrator, the clean lab-like environment, the non-gun gun, and a bunch of other jabs to the game that defined a genre… heck, we even have cake! (or do we?)

Despite all its similarities, from a gameplay-perspective, ChromaGun is as far from Portal as any other puzzle game. For one, and we cannot stress this point enough, there are no Portals. ChromaGun doesn’t require the player to get inter-dimensionally funky with space-time. Its color-based puzzles are far less of a spatial nature – they rely more on the player’s capacity of algorithmic thinking – along with an understanding of subtractive color mixing. It’s more about guiding the droids through the test chambers, than traversing them oneself.

Chromagun on PS4Chromagun on PS4

Let’s take a step back for a second, to when we first had the idea for ChromaGun. It was a cool, warmish winter day in summer, during a game jam known as Ludum Dare. ChromaGun was on its way to becoming a top-down twin-stick puzzle shooter. Just for fun, we gave first-person view a try. That was when we realized, our game could have a lot in common with Portal – so, we decided to go with it. Back then, ChromaGun was just a series of unconnected levels in outer space, featured a colorfully glowing space-shotgun, and the enemies were weirdly sentient alien paint blobs. We gave ChromaGun its Portal-esque vibe for a number of reasons. The obvious one is, because we love it (duh). But we also wanted to recreate that feeling of playing Portal for the first time, and bring back just a little of that magic.

Hopefully, I was able to give you some insight into what made ChromaGun the game it is today, and answer a few of your questions. If there’s anything else you’d like to know, don’t hesitate to ask! Finally, now that you’ve made it this far into the article, data suggests you’re either getting ready to get ChromaGun for PS4, or write a really nasty comment in the comments section. In either case, I hope you’ll enjoy it.
For science.

You monster.

Chromagun on PS4

Get it?

– With love from all the Pixel Maniacs

Add Your Own

Dethfuse said:

July 20th, 8:05 am

I can definitely see the similarities to portal in the aesthetics. But the gameplay looks completely different and has piqued my interest. Definitely going to care when it comes out! Thanks for bringing your game to PS4!

enodrawkcab said:

July 20th, 6:35 pm

I’m thinking this would be a good fit for PSVR and Aim Controller.

Dethfuse said:

July 20th, 8:06 am

I can definitely see the similarities to portal in the aesthetics. But the gameplay looks completely different and has piqued my interest. Definitely going to give it a try when it comes out! Thanks for bringing your game to PS4!

Techni said:

July 20th, 8:26 am

I hope it supports PSVR and the aim controller

Steve Crouse's Avatar

Steve Crouse said:

July 20th, 10:12 am

Not at launch unfortunately. Personally, I’d love PSVR and aim integration, but as an indie dev, we have to cater to demand (If you spam our inbox about it, chances are good ;) )

Steve Crouse's Avatar

Steve Crouse said:

July 24th, 3:16 am

I’m a PSVR owner, myself. I’d love to play ChromaGun in VR, and I’d love to work on ChromaGun VR.

Unfortunately, it’s not as easy as just putting a game out there, and then moving on to the next game – and just because two popular games sold well, that does not guarantee success for a third. We’re more than willing to take risks, especially if the community is as passionate as the PSVR community, but we do have to make sure we don’t loose more money than we have. I hope you understand.

That all said, we’d really really love to do it, and we’re currently talking to Sony about this.

Fingers crossed :)

Sangetsu-II said:

July 20th, 10:56 am

I second this, we need more PSVR and aim supported titles. I will buy anything that supports it lol.

sandkwithhp said:

July 20th, 1:55 pm

I third it!

ANGUAWOLF_FL said:

July 23rd, 5:07 pm

“Cater to demand”??? Darn it! We are PSVR owners that are being overlooked because there wasn’t enough of the units to meet demand! THERE IS DEMAND FOR PSVR SUPPORT!!! What is WRONG with you people and shoving this thing to the side??? Keep shafting the PSVR like you did the Vita and watch it vanish and Oculus take over. Sheesh!!! Get with it! It WILL SELL. Just look at RE7 and Farpoint! If it doesn’t sell it’s because your marketing guy is a fool.

Psyco1981 said:

July 20th, 8:48 am

With such an impetus being put on color recognition, will the game have any options for those with color deficiencies (not color blindness)?

I’d love to play this, but certain color shades (mainly reds /greens) can be difficult to differentiate for me, and others.

How about a demo to try before a buy?

SONIC_FREAK said:

July 20th, 8:50 am

Wow this game seems like it has a pretty neat concept can’t wait to get to play it. It sounds like it will be such a cool puzzle game.

Steve Crouse's Avatar

Steve Crouse said:

July 20th, 10:15 am

Thanks a lot, we put a lot of work and love into it :)

AmishWarMachine said:

July 20th, 8:57 am

A really nasty comment.

Sometimes my friends tell me I take things too literally. I have no idea what that means.

Steve Crouse's Avatar

Steve Crouse said:

July 20th, 10:14 am

Your friends don’t know what they’re talking about.

Aero_Guardian17 said:

July 20th, 1:53 pm

Looks interesting! I will keep this on my radar!

deafplay said:

July 20th, 2:10 pm

“heck, we even have cake! (or do we?)”

The cake … may be a lie?

LOCO209 said:

July 20th, 3:18 pm

SPAM SPAM PSVR SUPPORT PSVR SUPPORT PLEASE ….Thanks

Steve Crouse's Avatar

Steve Crouse said:

July 21st, 1:13 am

That’s the spirit!

thisisunderdose said:

July 21st, 1:46 am

“For science. You monster.”

Nice reference.

SPYderHASS said:

July 21st, 4:22 am

Looking so long for a game like Portal on PS4…a game like this! I love all these 1st person puzzle stuff and it’s time to beat the pretty old Portal 2 now! Thanks a lot for ChromaGun. I will try it!

kitler53 said:

July 21st, 7:03 am

i <3 puzzle games. i see the user reviews are pretty positive on steam so that's good enough to sell me.

Dead-Sync said:

July 21st, 8:54 am

Haha I like how you guys are accepting the Portal comparison and running with it. It’s not a bad thing at all to riff off of good ideas. That’s pretty much how most games, or music, or anything today gets created really. It’s nice to see someone take Portal as an idea launching pad (or “portal fling” because that’s a thing) and find a way to remix it.

If this succeeds…can you convince Valve to do SOMETHING with Half Life? Or make it yourself? Something? Ok….nevermind I’ll stop being unrealistic….

King_J77 said:

July 21st, 11:23 am

PSVR / AIM PSVR / AIM PSVR / AIM PSVR / AIM PSVR / AIM PSVR / AIM PSVR / AIM PSVR / AIM PSVR / AIM PSVR / AIM PSVR / AIM PSVR / AIM PSVR / AIM PSVR / AIM PSVR / AIM PSVR / AIM PSVR / AIM PSVR / AIM PSVR / AIM PSVR / AIM PSVR / AIM PSVR / AIM PSVR / AIM PSVR / AIM PSVR / AIM PSVR / AIM PSVR / AIM PSVR / AIM PSVR / AIM PSVR / AIM

Thanks!

PopcornKeith said:

July 23rd, 2:53 pm

I am making less than tree fiddy two every ten years, people keep asking me how I do it, I don’t have a clue, but you can do the same………hahahahaha

game looks interesting, will the PSVR Aim gun work with this?

futsio said:

August 9th, 9:54 am

Looks awesome. Would love to buy it at launch, but just spent all my cash on a brand new psvr headset and aim controller. If only I had a game like this to play on it