PlayStation VR

Jul 25

Jul 25

Discover the Creators: Tim Schafer’s Favorite PS4 Games

What happens when we force Tim Schafer to pick his favorite PS4 games? The answer probably won't surprise you! (The answer is you get a solid list of games that you should definitely check out.)

Tim Schafer's Avatar Posted by Founder, Double Fine

Discover The Creators is a PlayStation Store curation program in which we’ve asked some of the biggest names in the biz to pick their favorite PS4 games in order to help your find your next game to play.

There is more than one way to skin a cat (don’t ask me how I know that) and there’s also more than one way to tell a great story in games. You can do it with great dialog, or no dialog at all. You can focus on the depth of the characters, or on the richness of the environment. You can bring your hero’s choices to life with game play mechanics that are complex, or extremely simple.

And that’s why this list of great PS4 story-telling games is so diverse–they all tackle the problem in their own style. Each one finds a unique way to bring its world, it’s characters, it’s story to life. And no cats are skinned in any of them. I’m sorry I even brought that up.

Night in the Woods

Night in the Woods

Came to this one for the art, but found some of my favorite writing in games recently. Really funny, nuanced, and surprising.

Unravel

Unravel

A beautiful platforming puzzle game with a story told through environments and photographic memories.

Gone Home

Gone Home

I admire this game for putting story front and center and committing to that as their prime focus before other games were doing it.

Valiant Hearts: The Great War

Valiant Hearts

A story about the war told in a way that war stories are rarely told in games.

Oxenfree

Oxenfree

Naturalistic dialog that can be interrupted, redirected, and played with–still sounding pretty natural. Super hard to pull off, but they did it really well.

What Remains of Edith Finch

What Remains of Edith Finch

I thought I knew where this was going when it started, and then I was constantly surprised by where it took me. Very memorable.

Machinarium

Machinarium

Story told without words at all, just art and little comic strip memories. Beautiful!

Inside

Inside

This minimalistic story seemed to present more mysteries than it solved. It felt like anything could happen next. Bleak and harsh and constantly engaging.

Wheels of Aurelia

Wheels of Aurelia

A very unique way of telling a story while on a road trip. Make decisions in dialog trees, but also in branching roads. Style and subject matter different from any game I could think of.

Bound

Bound

Mostly a platformer, with a very unique way of visually exploring memories.

Until Dawn

Until Dawn

Recommend you play with a group of friends and not alone–not just because it’s scary, but because this game really invites you to cooperatively work through a story together, yelling and screaming and laughing the whole time.

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition

Guacamelee

A fighting game with many great, colorful characters, rich with personality.

The Last Guardian

The Last Guardian

Incredibly strong depiction of a character and a relationship, using very few words.

PS-SymbolsPS-SymbolsPS-Symbols

Head over to PlayStation Store now to browse Tim’s list as well as picks curated by Shuhei Yoshida, Yoko Taro, the team at Supergiant Games, and more:

Discover the Creators at PlayStation Store

Yoko Taro // Director, NieR: Automata
Hermen Hulst // Co-founder & Managing Director of Guerrilla Games
Shuhei Yoshida // President, PlayStation Worldwide Studios
Siobhan Reddy // Co-founder & Studio Director of Media Molecule
Sid Shuman // PlayStation Social Media Director
Supergiant Games // Creators of Bastion, Transistor, and Pyre
Tom Happ // Sole Developer of Axiom Verge
Teddy Lee // Designer of Rogue Legacy
Drinkbox Studios // Makers of Severed and Guacamelee!
kokoromi collective // Creators of SuperHyperCube
CAPY // Developers of Super Time Force Ultra & collaborators on #Sworcery
Double Eleven // Makers of Goat Simulator and Prison Architect on console
Mark Essen // Creative Director of Nidhogg
Playdead Developer Team // Creators of Limbo and Inside
Koshi Nakanishi // Director of Resident Evil 7 biohazard
Yoshinori Ono // Executive Producer of the Street Fighter series
Psyonix // Creators of Rocket League
Business Division 2 // Makers of Final Fantasy XV

Add Your Own

paulogy said:

July 25th, 8:59 am

A really great list for lovers of story in games :-)

Trendy_Kid said:

July 25th, 9:08 am

I agree. Valiant Hearts is one of my absolute favorites on the list.

Chizomaru said:

July 25th, 9:27 am

Thanks to Tim I just bought Unravel, never heard of it before but it looks absolutely gorgeous.

Tim Schafer's Avatar

Tim Schafer said:

July 25th, 10:09 am

Great game! I think you’ll like it! :)

Rafi7234 said:

July 25th, 9:50 am

I’ve played almost every one of these, and agree that they are all memorable. Never heard of Aurelia, though. Maybe I’ll check that out.

anszbd1 said:

July 25th, 9:57 am

Already got edith finch, inside, until dawn, guacamele, and the last guardian. Still need to get night in the wood.

Can’t wait to play psychonaut 2 next year, the first one is one of my favourite story on games :)

Tim Schafer's Avatar

Tim Schafer said:

July 25th, 10:10 am

That’s awesome! We’re working hard to make the story in Psychonauts 2 even better! :)

spoonTRex said:

July 25th, 11:57 am

I absolutely agree with you on Oxenfree. I had no idea what the game was, tried, it, LOVED IT. They made these characters feel real, it was fantastic from start to finish.

sciteach said:

July 25th, 12:10 pm

I see you chose a lot of games that have a deep story… but a story that doesn’t always come out and tell you about it. Did you try Hyper Light Drifter?

(I’m a big fan of psychonauts! I loved the VR adventure, too)

Tim Schafer's Avatar

Tim Schafer said:

July 25th, 5:37 pm

I backed Hyper Light Drifter’s crowdfunding campaign and played it but I got stuck before I got too far into the story. I’d love to go back into it some time!

catalystoffire said:

July 25th, 5:38 pm

Tim, no surprise your taste in games is very offbeat and unique. I’d recommend all of these without hesitation.

bob-droid12 said:

July 25th, 9:32 pm

Valiant Hearts is one of THE best war-based game out I ever played and would 100% recommended it to anybody. Also got Until Dawn and Guacamelee as well and there both really great games. I applause Tim’s taste and I can’t wait for Psychonauts 2 which I’m sure would be a top contender for GOTY.

clupula668 said:

July 26th, 3:59 am

Loved all of these except Gone Home, which felt like part of a game, rather than an entire game in and of itself. Otherwise, some great suggestions.

Hope you can get the funding to do Brutal Legend 2 one day, Tim! That game was short but great (even though I would have preferred a few more one on one boss battles to even out how many RTS battles there were). Even introduced me to a few bands I had never heard of before, like Bishop of Hexen.

HughMadbrault said:

July 27th, 12:51 pm

Thanks so much not just for a list of great titles, but for all the years of fantastic games, Mr. Schafer. My brother and I worked on a Manny costume for a Halloween party, and before he even got to party, someone on the street shouted, “OH MY GOD, GRIM FANDANGO!” This was years before the Remastered one, too.

I look forward to checking our your picks, and to enjoy your upcoming titles for years and years to come. Thank you!

Welmosca said:

August 4th, 12:18 pm

Ha another dev who has Inside on their list…game’s greatness is truly recognized.

Also glad to see a dev who have Unravel on their picks…game is simply fantastic.