God of War

Aug 09

Aug 09

First-person Superhero Sim Megaton Rainfall Flies to PS4 & PS VR September 26

Wield your superhuman powers responsibly — every missed shot can have catastrophic consequences.

Alfonso del Cerro's Avatar Posted by Developer, Pentadimensional Games

Hey everyone, this is Alfonso del Cerro, developer of Pentadimensional Games. I’m super excited to announce, with new trailer and all, that Megaton Rainfall will be released on September 26th!

What? You don’t know what Megaton Rainfall is? Well:

Megaton: Explosive force equal to 4184 petajoules.
Rainfall: Precipitation in the form of raindrops.

…oh, you just want to know what is the game about?

Megaton Rainfall fills the market gap of “games that let you control an indestructible superbeing who can fly at supersonic speeds across the Earth facing a global alien invasion and preventing the destruction of one city after another.”

Yes, at the beginning of the game you can only roam the Earth, from the bottom of the ocean to the stratosphere, looking for threats.

Later, this freedom of movement will increase, letting you fly to the Moon or walk across the surface of the Sun — not quite a standard in the FPS genre.

This sense of freedom has been one of our major goals during production, as well as the sense of scale of the landscapes, which really shine in VR mode. Yes, you can optionally play the full experience in PlayStation VR. With it, flying around an alien mothership several kilometers in size conveys a remarkable sense of scale and danger.

These giant motherships, however, may not be as dangerous as the smaller enemy vessels. Imagine chasing a small, quick enemy ship between skyscrapers, painfully aware that every time you miss your target means a few more human casualties. In contrast to other games, bigger doesn’t mean more difficult.

It can be even worse if you can’t see your enemy at all. Like when a group of coordinated morphers take the form of buildings, and suddenly you can’t distinguish them any more. Is your visual memory good? It can save lives!

As you can see, in Megaton Rainfall the biggest menace for the humans is often yourself. Each new superpower you gain has a dark side you must avoid. Your basic shot destroys entire buildings every time you miss your target. Your telekinesis can prevent enemy grenades from damaging the humans, but it can also send vehicles careening down the street. The gigaton blast can destroy an enemy mothership… or the entire city. And you don’t want to do the aliens’ job.

That’s why you have to use your abilities carefully! If you don’t, your position on the leaderboards (based on time and human casualties (less is better)) will suffer.

Developing a game this complex has been the toughest task I have ever undertaken, and I’ve always wanted the finest quality possible. That’s why we have delayed the launch several times and the team (that was only me in my free time back in 2012) has grown quite a bit. Four artists created the enemy ships and city landmarks. Also, the music has been redone by the talented David Garcia (Rime, Hellblade) and it’s now embarrassingly better than before (if in doubt, just compare the new and old trailers).

On top of that, PS4 Pro owners can look forward to enjoying the enormous landscapes in full 4K resolution of 3840 x 2160. And no matter the way you play (2D, VR, Pro, Pro+VR) the frame rate targets a silky smooth 60 FPS.

I think those are enough announcements for now. Thanks for reading about our project — we are looking forward to all of you playing the game.

See you around Earth… and beyond!

Add Your Own

infamoussaints20 said:

August 9th, 9:23 am

This looks awesome

stlthriot said:

August 9th, 9:28 am

Whoa! Anything with destructible environments (and massive cities even!) has me interested! :D

Frazz said:

August 9th, 9:29 am

Can’t wait to play in VR!! Will Megaton Rainfall support move controllers in VR? What locomotion options are supported for VR?

XwingVmanX said:

August 9th, 9:30 am

Holy crap…did you guys make a good Superman game?? I really hope this is as good as it looks!

DeRR1ck19 said:

August 9th, 9:31 am

Ummm…. YES!!

Virtual_Dimentia said:

August 9th, 9:39 am

I’m super excited to play this! Been following this one since before PSVR launch!

White_JackaL said:

August 9th, 10:27 am

O.o

LeMatster said:

August 9th, 10:54 am

Looks absolutely stunning. Can we expect PS4 Pro enhancements @1080p? Supersampling?

Alfonso del Cerro's Avatar

Alfonso del Cerro said:

August 9th, 3:38 pm

Thanks! Supersampling at 1080p looks like a good option (in fact, the hardware does it automatically) but we need to test more before confirming.

Mutedpenguin said:

August 9th, 11:11 am

I really hope they are smart enough to have used similar flying controls to Eagle Fight for VR.

Using the tilt of the headset to turn really eliminates most of the motion sickness issues (and it’s way more immersive)…that combined with two moves could be great. If it’s gamepad only I can see there being major VR motion sickness issues.

Alfonso del Cerro's Avatar

Alfonso del Cerro said:

August 9th, 3:42 pm

We implemented around 6 different control interfaces for turns in VR, each with pros & cons. Tilting your head is one of them. But the default option will be using the Right stick to do quick turns: the testers find it both intuitive, and confortable.

SirRealDeal said:

August 9th, 1:49 pm

Definite day one purchase.

InphiniteWun said:

August 9th, 4:41 pm

Yet another game that loses me at “first person”.

PlasmaGlory said:

August 9th, 7:19 pm

This is the craziest looking game I’ve ever seen. I don’t understand how a small studio made this.

GermaximusS said:

August 9th, 9:43 pm

This looks really freakin cool!

One thing I wish these articles would do is link to the store page where I can pre-order. =P

Peduzzi said:

August 10th, 1:33 am

Take a note from the failure of Eagle Flight and DON’T force on blinders that can’t be turned off.

DarkwingChuck said:

August 10th, 5:28 am

This is the first I’ve heard of this game and I’m super interested. There have been some exciting PS VR announcements recently.

cusman said:

August 10th, 5:54 am

Looks very different and cool

MrBeens said:

August 10th, 8:57 am

You mention a trailer a few times, but I don’t see one in the post.

Ploclone said:

August 10th, 12:00 pm

I’ve been waiting for this game since I first seen it years ago. One question though. How much will this game cost?

Alfonso del Cerro's Avatar

Alfonso del Cerro said:

August 10th, 2:51 pm

We can’t confirm the price yet. Stay tuned!

big_bob002 said:

August 10th, 5:49 pm

A few quick questions. Is there coop? Can you explore all of earth? Can you explore without aliens?

Alfonso del Cerro's Avatar

Alfonso del Cerro said:

August 11th, 12:18 am

Hi big_bob002: No. Yes. Yes. But keep in mind it’s not like Google Earth; you won’t find your home or lots of recognizable places.

cosmis_chaos said:

August 10th, 9:23 pm

You guys just HAVE to give us DLC where you can fly to other planets and other dimension.

cnorw00d said:

August 11th, 12:40 am

Alfonso, I have been extremely excited for this game ever sine I saw the video on your Youtube channel early last year, my dream of a Superman VR game is close.I thought the game was dead. I am extremely happy it is not, congratulations on finishing your game!. A couple questions: Will you have the same scale as the video on your Youtube page? Can you still fly out of the Galaxy? Also can you list some of the advantages of the pro PSVR version over the standard? Thanks and congrats again!

Alfonso del Cerro's Avatar

Alfonso del Cerro said:

August 14th, 12:05 am

Hi cnorw00d, the pro PSVR version will have better supersampling / sharper visuals than the PSVR version. And yes, you can still fly out of the galaxy.

TrippiMomo said:

August 12th, 4:11 am

Hey. Game looks great. Can you blow up cities and or planets. And would you have powers similar to nukes?

Orpheus_Aeons said:

August 12th, 3:23 pm

“no matter the way you play (2D, VR, Pro, Pro+VR)”

Wait…WHAT? So what you’re saying is that unless you own a PS4 Pro…your only available way to play a clearly 3D-designed game…is IN 2D!? o_O’

If that’s the case…then you’ll crash & burn faster than the Challenger! The current Pro player base is VERY small, compared to the OG PS4, so I hope I’m misunderstanding that statement because the game looks really cool…AS A 3D GAME.
Developing the game as a (basically) “Pro exclusive” would be a HUGE mistake on your part, especially considering you’re an indie studio.

Alfonso del Cerro's Avatar

Alfonso del Cerro said:

August 14th, 12:08 am

You misunderstood me. With 2D I meant the non-VR version. The game is the same 3D game in all versions. The PS4 Pro only enhace the visuals with more resolution (4K for the non-VR version) or more supersampling (for the PSVR version).

Zreptil said:

August 14th, 5:13 am

I am also curious just like Mutedpenguin what the controls will be like. Eagle Flight is one of the very few VR games where i can control my movement and fly around for hours without encountering motion-sickness. Other games where i use the controller to change directions are ok for about half an hour. After this i need to recover from motion-sickness ^^

How is the experience of your testers? Will there be a Demo where it is possible to try the controls?

Alfonso del Cerro's Avatar

Alfonso del Cerro said:

August 17th, 1:07 am

Hi Zreptil. The experience of the testers is very varied. Some people will never get motion sickness, others will feel uncomfortable in less than 1 hour. Unfortunately there are currently no plans for a demo. Your only possibility is to try the different control schemes that the options menu will offer, or switching to the (super fantastic) non-VR mode from time to time if none of them suits you.

Zreptil said:

August 17th, 12:04 pm

Hi Alfonso,

thanks for the reply. My wish for a demo is simply based on the fact that i would like to try it out today and not to wait two months ^^ but i have no problem to buy this game and just try it out. it looks really amazing and i like to play it as soon as possible :)

GIOVANNI_GIGIO said:

August 25th, 10:45 am

Hi Alfonso! I’ve been waiting for this game since Cobra TV mentioned it in his channel(I think 2014 the first time). This kind of freedom in a game is like a child dream come true. Day one purchase for sure! Thank you, and greetings from Brasil!

ScottPot1 said:

September 4th, 7:37 am

Will there be an option to turn off the blinkers ? Eagle flight was unplayable for me personally for this reason (and the giant stupid eyebrows). Please give us “less queezy” people the option to enjoy the full experience without blacking out our view during movement.