PlayStation VR

Aug 09

Aug 09

Obduction, From the Team Behind Myst, Launches August 29 on PS4

PlayStation VR support to come in a post-launch update. Rand Miller of Cyan talks about the team's approach to exploration.

Rand Miller's Avatar Posted by CEO, Cyan, Inc.

Hey Playstation Nation,

This is Rand Miller, one of the original founders of Cyan and “Atrus” to those familiar with our legendary Myst series. It’s so exciting to be putting the final polish on Obduction for the PS4 and PS VR. We are working diligently to finalize our launch on August 29th and have put together a great PS4 Obduction theme exclusive for those of you who want to pre-order.

Cyan has a rich history of building exploration games that reveal their story as part of the adventure in and around very diverse environments – and Obduction was created with that heritage in mind. We’ve always loved the idea of putting players into new places, new worlds, with no backstory or instructions. This isn’t role playing – you play yourself. The best instruction is to act like this is really happening – what would you do, where would you go? Spend some time in this new world, learn and understand more and more, and you’ll realize that you can play a large part in this story.

Obduction for PS4Obduction for PS4

Obduction is a gorgeous, mesmerizing, unique, and immersive experience in some very strange worlds. You don’t shoot things. Heck… you don’t die at all (well, maybe that’s not completely true). The game begins with you enjoying a nighttime stroll along a beautiful mountain lake, but very quickly a streak of light breaks the calm. A strange organic artifact falls from the sky, approaches and takes you away from Earth to a new world named Hunrath. Hunrath is a strange conglomeration of pieces of Earth from various time periods mixed in with alien technology. There’s even a message from someone at the beginning that seems to imply that this has happened to others, and they all live here happily – but something about the place doesn’t seem to jive with that. It’s too quiet, and empty, and… eerie. As you wander and explore you start to unravel the story – and find a way to “make it home.”

Obduction for PS4

Making Obduction was quite a challenge. It’s taken our extremely talented team several years to take the concept from a Kickstarter project to the critically acclaimed title it has become. Creating a game with both traditional and VR experience meant that we had to consider VR in our design work before there were any VR headsets available. But we were determined to build an amazing gaming experience that provided not just a satisfying experience for PS4 players, but something that felt like a full VR game instead of a small demo for PSVR players.

The response to Obduction has been amazing with rave reviews, awards and accolades – including Wired, Polygon, Destructoid, Vice Motherboard, The Daily Dot, Attack of the Fan Boy, A.V. Club, PCGamer, PCWorld, Giant Bomb, TechRadar, Mashable, CGM, Brash Games, DarkStation, UploadVR, and others.

Try Obduction for yourself. Obduction will be available on PS4 starting August 29th with a PS VR update coming soon. The PS4 purchase of Obduction includes the PS VR update. Preorders are available here.

Add Your Own

sandkwithhp said:

August 9th, 7:15 am

I’m excited for this, although I wish the PSVR functionality could be in place right out of the box.

randmiller said:

August 9th, 12:44 pm

Me too! It’s been a blast to get the PS4 version going, but as expected, optimizing and verifying the PSVR version takes a bit longer. We’re working hard to make sure you don’t have to wait too long.

Magellan100 said:

August 9th, 2:26 pm

I have it on Steam and must say that it’s a very good game!

I’m hoping the VR support comes soon though, since I preordered the PS version specifically to replay the game in VR! :)

kitler53 said:

August 9th, 7:44 am

i loved myst, riven, exile. can’t way to play this!!

randmiller said:

August 9th, 12:45 pm

Thanks for the nice comment – hope you enjoy Obduction, too.

Tatanka2007 said:

August 9th, 8:44 am

I really enjoyed Obduction on PC, so I’ll be happy to double-dip for it again. And besides, Steam achievements are never as satisfying as PS trophies.

But the real satisfaction in Obduction is making progress in the story. Obduction isn’t some walking sim where you move forward, press a button, then rinse and repeat for five hours. It requires some thought and will leave you thinking as well.

The thought currently on my mind is this: will Obduction have PS Pro support?

randmiller said:

August 9th, 12:47 pm

Couldn’t have said it better myself! Thanks! And as for PS Pro support – yes!

Kaelum said:

August 9th, 9:24 am

The pre-order avatars are failing to download. The pre-order them works.

bh-alienux said:

August 9th, 9:49 am

Huge Mystie here, so I’m super excited about this. I’ve been a fan since the first game was released, and I even got my wife to start reading the books a few weeks ago, which I recommend to anyone. Can’t wait for this game!

randmiller said:

August 9th, 12:48 pm

Thanks for the support, and for getting your wife on board. Hope you enjoy Obduction!

PAGamer said:

August 9th, 1:25 pm

I’m now 50 and remember the exciting days of owning the Zork series of games and, of course, all the editions of Myst. I’ll be buying Obduction! While I don’t get as much game time as when I was a teen, I am prepared with my PS4 Pro and VR. One advantage of being older is that I can buy all the cool stuff….

So tell me, is there a pile of leaves to move or a sunken ship that needs to be raised?

randmiller said:

August 9th, 2:01 pm

Zork – now you’re talking my language. That was one of the games that was early inspiration for Myst. Loved those Infocom text adventures. Hope you enjoy Obduction!

And no leaves, or sunken ships – but there’s a locomotive to start up!

spoonTRex said:

August 9th, 1:47 pm

Wow, I went absolutely nuts for Myst back in the day, but I didn’t ever hear about this game before, looking forward to it, now! Thanks for the heads up.

BTW, any chance of a retail ps4 release down the road? :D

randmiller said:

August 9th, 2:03 pm

Glad you loved Myst – hope Obduction has the same feeling for you!

As for retail – no plans at the moment.

Kid_Fleetfoot said:

August 9th, 1:52 pm

I never played MYST but heard of it. If this is a walk around take a look game I might like it. It’s only $29 so I pre-ordered it from PS Store. I don’t want no shooting or fighting though.

Kid_Fleetfoot said:

August 9th, 1:55 pm

But I don’t have VR and don’t want VR.

randmiller said:

August 9th, 1:59 pm

No shooting or fighting. Just a very intriguing story and environment that plenty to walk around and pay close attention to – and a few surprises. Oh, and a few places you’ll have to use a little problem solving to figure went on, and how to proceed. I hope you like it.

randmiller said:

August 9th, 2:04 pm

And VR is not required.

jorein89 said:

August 9th, 3:53 pm

I’ve been able to hold back on getting this for my (gaming-wise crappy) mac so far, so I guess, a bit longer won’t hurt now as well. And since it’s being implemented as update, I am fine with that.
Just hoping the theme is one of the better out there. Please tell me we can expect something like from Everybody’s gone to the Rapture or Paragon – a real dynamic theme with nice visuals and music :D

Lord_Orpheo said:

August 9th, 3:59 pm

I’m excited for this and have been ever since the Kickstarter. :)

I’d say it was “Myst” that was largely responsible for steering me into gaming as much as I am. Way back my folks’ PC was too weak to allow me to venture off the main isle of “Myst,” too little RAM, so they bought me an original PlayStation over a Nintendo 64 just so I could play that game, and I absolutely loved it. I now own & have beaten “Myst” on multiple devices and read the novels, it’s truly impressive the lore and mythos you’ve created.

I am excited to experience the new world you’ve built and to lose myself in the adventure all over again. :)

Question: Though I know you want “Obduction” to be completely separate from your earlier works, might there be any Easter eggs to earlier works (any hidden linking books)? ;)

randmiller said:

August 11th, 12:09 pm

Ha! No hidden linking books, but a few little “wink-wink” salutes to the worlds of Myst.

HuckQ said:

August 10th, 5:07 am

I would love to see Myst 4 Revelation come to VR!!! :)

mtennes said:

August 10th, 6:56 am

My love affair with Cyan began with Cosmic Osmo running on HyperCard. One thing you can consistently expect is that Cyan is constantly pushing the envelope in using the latest technology to wield their magic art. Obduction is no exception. Love it. Great Job Cyan. …can’t wait for iOS version

paulogy said:

August 10th, 12:36 pm

MYST is one of my favorite games of all time! It inspired me to create one of my first games too :-)

I have been looking forward to playing Obduction for some time, so now that it’s coming to PS4 — and PSVR too — I’m very excited :-D

Dead-Sync said:

August 10th, 4:01 pm

Wow didn’t even know this was a thing. Myst was such a definitive game for it’s time. Not only did I really enjoy it (despite my childhood brain not being able to fully grasp every concept or appreciate it fully), but Myst clearly lay the framework for so many other games that have also been successful…like The Witness (another game I adored).

I will definitely have to check this out, could be a nice breakup between what will be the mad rush of Uncharted and Destiny. Thanks for the post!

joaryche said:

August 10th, 9:18 pm

Super pumped about this. I have been huge MYST fan. I have all the games, soundtracks, books, etc.. I love the lore and mystique around those games. I am so glad CYAN is doing something new. I am glad that Rand is doing well too.

steevoeevo said:

August 11th, 8:43 am

Myst was a real brain picker for me when I was a kid. I would imagine this will be a spectacular VR experience.

NorthernLitez said:

August 12th, 10:42 am

Given Naughty Dog and Cyan are my top two developers it would be crazy to say I’m not extremely excided for this to arrive on PSVR. Day 1 purchase for sure. Hopefully we see more stuff from Cyan down the road as the Myst games were SO GOOD.