Songbringer is the sword-swinging, weapon-throwing, orb-blinking brain child of one-man development studio Wizard Fu. We’re tickled pink (and purple) to announce that the pixel art sci-fi action RPG, is coming to PlayStation 4 on September 5th 2017.
Songbringer is a handcrafted sci fi love letter to old school action RPGs, focusing on exploration, combat, dungeons, secrets, and badass boss fights. And hallucinogenic cacti. And boomerang hats. And robot sidekicks. Did we mention the boomerang hat? We’re pretty excited about the boomerang hat.
Roq is an intergalactic surveyor on the spacecutter Songbringer, a ship exploring the galaxy and visiting uninhabited planets. During what he thought was a routine mission, he wakes up on a mysterious planet without his shirt, beside his helpful robot companion Jib (who can be controlled locally by a 2nd player) and the smouldering remains of his hover bike. Something’s going on but he’s not quite sure what, so he does what any sane person would do in that situation: finds a strange sword and unwittingly awakens an ancient army of evil beings.
The planetary layout of Ekzerra is created from a 6-letter world seed when you begin a new game. This generates the layout of the the overworld map as well as determining the dungeon setup. Give this world seed to a friend so you can share the same secrets, or challenge each other to compete the world as quickly and thoroughly as possible, qualifying for the international leaderboards.
Songbringer has a host of awesome features including (but not limited to):
- Real-time combat with 7 kinds of weapons including the nanosword, boomerang-like tophat, bombs, blink orb, a ghost sword projectile, lighter and kilobombs
- Hundreds of unique items and powerups
- Item crafting, for example: ghost sword + lightning cube = lightning sword
- Hidden items, secret entrances, secret pathways, bomb-able walls
- Online leaderboards for the top players based on completion time, percentage of map uncovered and percentage of items found
- Roguelike-inspired Permadeath Mode
So grab your top hat, brush off your nanosword and get ready for September 5th.