Knack 2

Aug 31

Aug 31

Life is Strange: Before the Storm – An Open Letter

The writing team of Life is Strange: Before the Storm has a message for the fans.

Zak Garriss's Avatar Posted by Lead Writer, Life is Strange: Before the Storm

To the Life is Strange: Before the Storm community:

Hello! My name is Zak Garriss. I’m the lead writer on Before the Storm, but I speak for the whole writing team when I say how incredibly excited we are to share Awake, our first episode, with you. It’s coming out today!

Looking back at the journey it’s been writing this story, I’m so thankful. Thankful to Dontnod for crafting such an amazing world in Life is Strange, full of dark and lovely characters. Thankful to Square Enix for caring so much about this franchise and the community that loves it. Most of all, thankful to you, the fans, for your passion. It’s because of you that we’re returning to Arcadia Bay in Before the Storm.

When we first imagined what kind of a story we would tell, we considered nearly every character from the original game. Time and again, though, it was Chloe who stood out to us. She’s such a bundle of contradictions, like all of us maybe. Anger and love. Ferocity and fear. Strength and sadness, all rolled into one.

In some ways, telling Chloe’s story has been telling all of our stories. It’s a story about loss and grief, about the things in life that break us. And it’s a story about the people who come along and make us stronger in the broken places. A story everyone can resonate with, I think. Here are a few examples from a video we’ve created of real people sharing with their own best friends how grateful they are to have them in their lives.

In the end, every writer on the team spilled blood on this game, pouring our hearts and pasts into the crafting of Chloe’s own. So thank you, from of all us, for giving Before the Storm a chance. We hope you love it as much as we’ve loved making it.

See you around.

Jon, Felice, Mallory, Alex, Ross, and Zak

Add Your Own

GaMeR_bOi_83 said:

August 31st, 6:15 am

This was nice. Well since I’m here wanna give a huge thanks to my best friend, wife and mother of my daughter to be born baby Lady_Vega_86 a big thank you for being there for me through thick and thin. You saw me at my worst and at my best. You made me the man I thought I could never be. Thanks for being in my life. Now off to see if I can buy this game.

cleversignin said:

August 31st, 6:21 am

don’t take this the wrong way but I will wait until all three are out so I can binge it in one gulp. I look forward to it and will pick up the deluxe version to get some Max (and the platinum apparently).

Red-Til-I-Die said:

September 1st, 12:30 am

You don’t need to get the Deluxe version to get the plat. Square Enix clarified that a mistake was made when submitting the trophy list and are working on a patch to fix it.

paulogy said:

August 31st, 8:26 am

What a beautiful video that “Open Letter” piece is – and a great “twist” by the end too :-)

soliton77 said:

September 2nd, 9:05 am

I agree!

Thwip said:

August 31st, 9:40 am

Who is cutting onions on the PlayStation.Blog? Nice read and video; thanks.

Easily one of my most anticipated games of 2017, but sadly, I gave up on episodic games a few years ago. Not to worry, I’m going to buy and play the game, but after all of the content is released.

Dead-Sync said:

August 31st, 11:32 am

I’m really excited for this. I got Life is Strange through the PS+ lineup one month and wow I couldn’t believe what I had missed. It was a game that was stuck in my mind weeks after finishing it.

That said, I probably will wait until all 3 episodes are released…I haven’t played an episodic story game without having the ability to play through multiple episodes in a row (or at least know that when I finish an episode one day, I can start the next one tomorrow).

SO – it pains me to know I will have to wait a couple of extra months. But I am still really REALLY excited!

chris_tane said:

August 31st, 1:29 pm

I’m in the same boat: it looks great, and can’t wait to play this, but I will wait for the full release. This is just not the kind of story to be broken up into multiple pieces for me.

Korahn27 said:

August 31st, 1:54 pm

I’ve done the episodic thing for a few telltale games but yeah, the waiting is a pain. I’m with many here. will definitely get it…once it’s all out.

jab__661 said:

August 31st, 6:45 pm

A big step down from the original. At least so far.

AceOfHeartsCST said:

September 1st, 7:37 pm

Hey, are you guys going to release avatars of the dynamic theme for consoles anytime soon?