PlayStation VR

Sep 26

Sep 26

Nioh: Bloodshed’s End Out Today on PS4

The final DLC for Nioh launches today, and it's a big one. Here's what you can expect.

Tom Lee's Avatar Posted by Creative Director Team Ninja

Hi folks, it’s Tom with Team Ninja again. As we celebrate the release of our final DLC today, I just wanted to provide some insight and inspiration into why we chose to finish our campaign with Bloodshed’s End.

As our dedicated players have come to experience the bloody Sengoku period through the eyes and heart of William, we wanted to conclude his adventure with an ending that is deserving of this incredibly awe-inspiring time in history. We chose the Osaka summer battle as the most fitting stage to close out our campaign and lead us to the end of the Sengoku era.

Nioh: Bloodshed’s EndGAMETITLE

In the battle of the Osaka summer campaign, brave men fought and died for causes such as loyalty, honor and justice. For the Toyotomi clan, this final battle was quite literally a life or death struggle for them.

Look closely at the famed Toyotomi Hideyoshi’s armor that was once the symbol of his might and glory. There’s a lot of meaning behind those details. We put a lot of effort into depicting this sense of valor as well as the violence and brutality of war throughout our new stage and character designs.

In addition, our latest guardian spirit is Janomecho which will finally become available for everyone to employ. As many of you know, William has had a storied history with Janomecho’s masters – Otani Yoshitsugu and his son in law, Sanada Yukimura. How will he acquire the guardian spirit Janomecho in Bloodshed’s End?

Nioh: Bloodshed’s End

William also returned to Japan because of a vision he had about Hattori Hanzo. But according to history, Hanzo was supposed to have died in the summer campaign. What will be the fate of his loyal friend Hanzo who helped shape history from the shadows? Well, there’s only one way to find out… Fight and survive the experience of Bloodshed’s End!

Believe me, you don’t want to miss out on witnessing the fates of these larger than life historical figures. Speaking of historical figures, we want you to pay special attention to Yodogimi who we chose to feature in our key art. There’s a lot of depth to her portrayal as we consider Yodogimi to be the embodiment of the great tragedy and cruelty that is the Sengoku era.

Nioh: Bloodshed’s EndNioh: Bloodshed’s End

Besides the incredible DLC, let’s talk briefly about The Abyss which we highlighted in our previous blog but it’s worth mentioning again here. The deepest level of The Abyss is without question, the most challenging aspect of this entire game. In fact, in The Abyss you can summon up to two visitors to have a three person co-op which should tell you something about its difficulty level.

Even our director, Fumihiko Yasuda tells me that he will need the help of players online to get through this mode. That’s saying a lot because I can tell you that our director is a pretty stellar player!

Nioh: Bloodshed’s End

Last but not least, we have a special treat for many of our loyal Ninja Gaiden fans in Bloodshed’s End. I won’t completely spoil the surprise at this time, but you will be provided with a memorable award for your hard earned achievement. That’s all I will say.

Finally, let me just thank everyone for their amazing support and dedication for our game. It’s been an amazing ride for all of us. As we end our journey with Bloodshed’s End this month, I wanted to leave you with a personal message from our director Yasuda-san, which accurately expresses the sentiments of our entire Nioh team. So I bid you farewell for now samurai and hope to see you again in future battlegrounds. Cheers!

Nioh: Bloodshed’s EndNioh: Bloodshed’s End

“When the scene after William’s final battle was completed, there was a huge sense of loss and I was very sentimental. That’s because for years, William was always there on our monitors traversing Sengoku Japan, fighting Yokai after another… and I felt I would no longer see that again.

Nioh’s development happened during difficult times for Team Ninja. So while it was a tremendous challenge, it also came with unimaginable joy and sorrow. This may sound dramatic but as I see William, who dies again and again, only to come back stronger and continue to take on tougher foes. In this vision, I see the new embodiment of Team NINJA as well.

While I am starting to think about the future, at this very moment I only wish for our players to take delight in the final chapter of William’s tale.”

– Fumihiko Yasuda

Add Your Own

KagatoAC said:

September 26th, 9:41 am

Played the Demo and the only problem I had with it was the Incredibly punishing difficulty difference on the Bosses. Getting one shot over and over until I got annoyed enough to look up a guide online frustrated me as an older gamer whose reflexes aren’t any where near what they were 20-25 years ago. But I’ll still be keeping an eye out for a Complete Edition now that the entire game is out.

FRIEDCHIKKIN said:

September 27th, 10:47 am

I feel ya, fellow old fart!

PixelProV1 said:

September 28th, 3:19 am

Stop it, im an old fart myself and can still hang with kids half my age.

FRIEDCHIKKIN said:

October 1st, 6:03 pm

Pixel, that’s a mid-life crisis. ;) jk Have a good one!

xxdmcgee2288xx said:

September 26th, 10:36 am

Thank you for making such an amazing game. It’s sad to see this journey end, as it will be bittersweet to start up this final DLC, but I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to enjoy such a phenomenal ride. Thank you! And here’s to hoping that this isn’t the last we will see if William!!

BlaqMagiq24 said:

September 26th, 1:05 pm

Will North America be getting the complete edition that Japan is getting?

longevity said:

September 26th, 2:26 pm

this game needs a ninja dog mode that is much easier and with 5x more checkpoints

difficulty just isn’t as fun as ninja gaiden, just feels like tedious friction rather than skillful progression

so when is the next ninja gaiden?

deedee1287 said:

September 26th, 3:04 pm

Thank you so much for this fantastic game, is my GOTY

P4NCH0theD0G said:

September 26th, 3:20 pm

I wanted to start this one again. Had the season pass, but only ever played through the vanilla game. Now I can look forward to the complete experience .

And speaking of that complete experience, I wish you Team Ninjas would clarify what these 5 new weapons are that according to the TGS reveal of the Complete Edition will be included in the digital version, but not in the physical version. Are these actual new weapon types? Or just like one legendary item for each weapon class? Because I would not like it if five new weapon classes would only be available for the people buying the digital complete edition…

White_JackaL said:

September 26th, 4:02 pm

I love this game, even over the Souls games. Will there be another in the series?

Kong_Angantyr said:

September 26th, 4:16 pm

I was completely unaware of this game until a week or two before launch, and bought it on day one mainly because I liked the look of it and found the setting fascinating. I don’t even know how many hours I put into it, but it has easily been my favorite game this year.

Thanks for an amazing experience. I’m looking forward to your future work. :)

HeathenFriar said:

September 26th, 9:04 pm

In a normal year I would agree with you – Nioh clearly game of the year. I’ve put about 140 hours into Nioh and I still have no desire to stop playing it! But 2017 has been insane for PS4 gamers (i.e. the BEST gamers on the planet). Horizon Zero Dawn and Persona 5 are ALSO two of my favorite games of all time.

AriesWarlock said:

September 26th, 8:37 pm

Good work! As a Ninja Gaiden fan, definitely curious as to what that reward is. The Dragon sword?

HeathenFriar said:

September 26th, 8:59 pm

Nioh is such an awesome game! One of my favorites of all time. I really hope we see more Nioh in the future.

On a related note, is the 3rd DLC going to feature Okatsu and explore her relationship with William? What’s the deal with these two? Are they a couple or not? Important questions. :)

KnightRid said:

September 27th, 4:22 am

Does this still have the vertigo/motion sickness problem for people sensitive to that? I have a hard time playing most games anyway without taking some meclizine :(

cusman said:

September 27th, 7:20 am

Now that full game is released, I hope I can find some time to go through it all.