Marvel's Spider-Man

Oct 13

Oct 13

PlayStation VR Turns One: One Million Gamers and Counting

One million gamers and counting! A message from Shawn Layden.

Shawn Layden's Avatar Posted by President, Sony Interactive Entertainment America | Chairman, SIE Worldwide Studios

One year ago today, the team at PlayStation was proud to introduce a thrilling new gaming experience crafted with a single goal in mind: pushing the boundaries of play.

PlayStation VR was designed to open a doorway into thrilling and captivating new worlds that electrify our senses. We are confident that virtual reality is that next step in the evolution of the videogame medium, with a collection of more than 100 gaming experiences designed to make your synapses fire, your heart race, and your muscles twitch.

But we’ve been learning a lot about this medium along the way. Building the future of VR is a lot like creating a new language. Or maybe even an entirely new alphabet! With traditional videogame development, we can draw from nearly 40 years of experimentation, trial and error.

VR is a little bit different. Of course we’re still drawing from the long, proud history of traditional videogames development — but VR’s unique capabilities mean developing entirely different levels of artistry and engineering. Making VR a mainstream sensation will require the full efforts of our very best and brightest.

And as Chairman of PlayStation’s Worldwide Studios, let me tell you – the best and brightest are extremely excited about this powerful new medium. The biggest game developers and innovative independent developers have helped establish a rapidly growing PS VR game catalogue that rivals PS4’s at the same point in its lifespan.

So what’s next? For starters, I can tell you the best is yet to come.

More than 60 new PS VR games will launch through the end of 2017 and into the beginning of 2018.

Blockbusters like Skyrim VR, Bravo Team and The Inpatient will join the ranks of Farpoint, Resident Evil 7, and Batman: Arkham VR. New innovations like Moss, Starchild, and Rec Room will join Star Trek: Bridge Crew, Job Simulator, and Superhot VR.

The future is bright. And as we celebrate today, I want to give my sincerest thanks to the adventurous teams who helped create, shape, and build PlayStation VR. We are equally grateful for the one million-plus gamers who have taken the plunge into virtual reality with us. We’ll have a lot more to share with you in the days, weeks, and months ahead.

So again we ask, “what’s next?” And the answer is simple: the extraordinary! We want to be your guide. Are you ready to explore?

Add Your Own

paulogy said:

October 13th, 6:13 am

Happy one year anniversary PSVR! It’s exciting to see all the support so far, and I’m looking forward to what’s ahead at PSX and through 2018 :-)

poohty_t said:

October 13th, 6:17 am

Going to need alot more AAA full games to support VR for entire games , if this medium is going to survive the long haul. I hope it does, but what i feel hinders most from buying it right now, it the large majority of games for it are just rather long demos it seems. In order to get people to drop the money it costs for a new console, there will be a large need for a much larger base of AAA games to warrant that purchase. I hope this happens , as i want to see this survive. But price points and lack of what seems like full games, makes it hard to purchase right now. Best of luck.

Hauz20 said:

October 13th, 6:30 am

Good luck. I sincerely hope you advance the medium. I won’t be making the trip with you, though, since you opted for new hardware to enable HDR with the breakout box. Early adopters who want that functionality now have to spend hundreds more dollars. I will not be doing that.

SHUFFLER-007 said:

October 13th, 10:39 am

As a day 1 owner, I can say that many of us early adopters are fine with using a $20 HDMI switch. I personally won’t be needing a new headset until PSVR 2 and I will enjoy hdr gaming just the same.

iTchYSkiDs- said:

October 13th, 11:23 am

You don’t have a psvr do you. If you did then you would know that the games available are not tech demos, just expirences or all unknown developers just having a shot. It’s opinions like this that cloud other people’s opinions and so on. But thanks for the best wishes, were having a great time.

Hauz20 said:

October 13th, 8:18 pm

I have a switch. It’s a pain in the ass. And the PSVR is great fun, but it was half baked.

NON1337H41 said:

October 14th, 5:50 am

@Hauz20: I’m not sure how you mean that PSVR is “half baked”. The hardware was developed to be the most affordable VR on the market, while managing to not sacrifice too much quality. And Sony had tons of software support lined up for the launch window and beyond. It’s not a perfect solution by any means, but I think it’s FAR better than “half baked”.

PARTEE said:

October 13th, 6:37 am

Thank you for creating the PSVR and supporting it so heavily. Some of my most memorable gaming experiences since PS1 have been with the PSVR.

I hope more people realize that this is not cellphone VR and finally discover what they have been missing out on. I’m excited about the future of PSVR and can’t wait to see what it brings.

soundandvision77 said:

October 13th, 7:02 am

1 year of PSVR for me too! It’s a great system and I’m still excited to experience VR everytime I put it on. I’m looking forward to seeing what other advances game developers can make with this technology.

FeistFan said:

October 13th, 7:17 am

I so want to try PSVR – but buy it? Well, it’s been the least expensive dedicated VR option (not counting phone-based alternatives) for a year, so that’s something – but it’s an advantage that is about to fade.

And it’s still too expensive for many of us, who aren’t ready to leap. Unless you get even more aggressive on pricing, I’ll be watching what happens this year from the sidelines, and hoping PSVR has a longer shelf life than Move or even Vita.

NON1337H41 said:

October 14th, 5:45 am

I agree that the price is probably the biggest challenge right now, but I would be surprised if Sony is making any profit off of the headsets (the other peripherals probably bring in a little revenue, but nothing substantial). Valve/HTC, and FB/Oculus have both stated that the tech is still so new that they’re essentially having to sell the kits at cost just to avoid an even larger sticker shock. Sony put a TON on the line when developing PSVR as a closed ecosystem, so I assume that they want production costs to come down even more than most other interested parties.

Matsudaira said:

October 15th, 10:23 pm

Sony stated before the system that it was launching at profit. So a price cut probably won’t be far off — but that will require people not buying it. As long as it’s doing well, they won’t be motivated to lower it.

Feisar said:

October 13th, 7:23 am

That non-HDR breakout box I’ve got in my living room really grinds my gears Shawn….. every time I look at it.

oGoditsNick said:

October 13th, 7:27 am

Yea, would it be that hard to make an adapter so our gen 1 headset could work with hrd breakout box? Seriously.

Gideon said:

October 13th, 7:29 am

They really should release a separate breakout box for upgrade purposes. Not because it would be profitable for them to do so, but because it’s the right thing to do for their customers.

Gideon said:

October 13th, 7:27 am

PlayStation has done the impossible and made quality VR experiences easily accessible and I thank them for that. Upcoming games like Moss look wonderful. I was a day one adopter and continue to be an advocate for PSVR.

I do agree that there needs to be more effort in bringing top tier games to the platform. Oculous has made an amazing showing with Lone Echo, Robo Recall, Technolust, The Unspoken (by Insomniac no less!), From Other Suns, Chronos, … etc.

I expected PlayStation to understand how important top tier quality exclusives would be to PSVR but the “best place to play” VR is steadily becoming the Oculus platform.

PSVR needs amazing exclusives to remain competitive. We are in dire need of better move controllers with analog sticks. Without this, many of the PSVR games feel like generation one experiences when developers are moving on to the next generation. I fear that PSVR will very quickly be left behind because it’s unable or unwilling to develop with the industry.

PSVR was the VR platform I chose because I believe in the brand and the vision. However, as the industry moves forward I’m wondering if PSVR will simply end up being the VR platform I started with.

KILLLLERMAN said:

October 13th, 7:37 am

What the release date for version 2 ???

alanashgamer2229 said:

October 13th, 7:57 am

please release a move controller with joystick or touch pad for movement and better games will follow. if this doesnt come oit eventully then i predict it will flop! this coming from someone who loves the product and doesnt want a p.s. eye remake

Sindred said:

October 13th, 8:13 am

It’s been a great year with PSVR. Please do not give up on this. It IS the future of gaming. It’s not a replacement by any means. But if gamers are into gaming for escapism and adventure, VR is absolutely the next level of immersion.

The future is bright. I bought a VR video camera (not 360 video). I captured footage of my family and watched it on the PSVR. It was surreal.

Imagine a time when you can VR visit a friend and see their home stream to your headset. And that’s not even factoring video game implementation, which has been great and can only get better.

Don’t give up on this, despite the naysayers. Some of them haven’t even tried it, or judge VR by some plastic device with their phone attached. It’s no where near the same.

jul1ed00 said:

October 13th, 8:53 am

I bought it on release date one year ago and it really is a game changer I love the whole experience of being in the environment. Fair play there are a lot of vr experiences but it’s got something for everyone as for motion sickness iam luckily never experienced it but some people can’t play because of strobing effects and light conditions on consoles but iam sure this is just the start of vr and fingers crossed psvr will be around for a long time yet iam sure there will be upgrade models with 4k technology but for now iam loving it fingers crossed for more free movement in vr don’t like the teleport system. AAA games need to follow rez 7 that’s how to make a true vr game and some 3rd person shooter’s for the aim please

Fuhr31 said:

October 13th, 9:34 am

Id love to see some numbers. How often do people use their vr?

Xcaligamer1 said:

October 13th, 11:47 am

I haven’t had psvr for a year due to financials but have enjoyed it every time I’ve hooked it up since March. Absolutely love it

GrandDethAuto said:

October 13th, 12:03 pm

Just want to say thanks Sony for giving VR the push it deserves it’s amazing!

Globalisateur said:

October 13th, 2:17 pm

What this “1 million players” is supposed to mean ? in total around the world “1 million players” played PSVR ? Even counting friends / family of PSVR owners ? That could mean you sold much less than 1 million PSVR units.

Or that you sold 2 millions PSVR but only 1 millions have being used ?

paulogy said:

October 13th, 2:40 pm

We know 1M PSVR units were sold as of June. By now more have probably been sold, but perhaps not enough to warrant a new number milestone, hence “one million plus” :-)

PAPAMiDNiT3 said:

October 13th, 6:14 pm

i think they mean sold through costumers

upperlevels said:

October 13th, 2:55 pm

Very good and not surprised.

On a side note, Sony needs to pull it’s head out of it’s ass regarding double charging customers because of a network glitch to then sit on it’s thumbs regarding undoing the damage. Many people are out of sorts because of double charges that have deeply interfered with their lives including mine.

Zalven said:

October 13th, 3:19 pm

Did anyone see the hulu PSVR haunted house update from PSVR today? It’s pretty sweet, especially the creepy doll reveal. You basically have to find all of its hiding spots and then the extra creepy version appears. It kinda creeped me out.

Brummo said:

October 13th, 3:35 pm

The ghosts were pretty creepy, too. The one that jumped out of the portrait definitely startled me a bit… Such a cool, atmospheric environment.

JohnKarnes said:

October 13th, 5:05 pm

Happy Birthday! PSVR
Its been very exciting and I am a very happy owner of PSVR! Farpoint, Until Dawn Rush of Blood and Pinball FX have been my top go to games for PSVR. Watching Spiderman 2 movie in 3D was a great experience. I also love all the PlayStation apps with ways to explore VR videos. Thanks for the PSVR sale I just purchased several new titles from it. I wish more people could understand PSVR is not a replacement for traditional gaming, That will always be the #1 way to game, but PSVR adds to it a new and exciting way to enjoy a different type of gaming content, One that I love we now have the ability to experience. Thanks to PlayStation offering it at the lowest price out of the top 3 headsets. Looking forward to the next Year and the surprises coming in it…

PaladinZeke said:

October 13th, 11:40 pm

It’s been a great first year and you (Sony) celebrate that with screwing with your day-one buyers like myself and releases a new VR box with HDR-passthrough but no chance to upgrade to that because you changed all VR-cables on purpose. Not cool at all !!
And if you made the estimate that I’m like one in a trillion or so buying a PRO, PSVR and a 65″ 4K TV in a few weeks time, well, if so you could take it on yourself to freely upgrade our boxes for the very few you now choose to ignore.
I been a proud PS owner since day one of the original Playstation but now my faith in your company is starting to crumble.

Microserf2005 said:

October 15th, 5:58 am

Congratulations Sony!!! 1 million units is a huge milestone. I love my Playstation 4, and I’m eagerly anticipating buying a PSVR when it has motion controllers that are more competitive with my Oculus Touch controllers that I love!