God of War

Oct 23

Oct 23

Hidden Agenda on PS4: Story vs. Competitive Mode

Go behind the scenes with the crime thriller from Supermassive Games.

Will Doyle's Avatar Posted by

Game Director, Supermassive Games

I’m Will Doyle, game director for Supermassive Games’ Hidden Agenda.

I’m delighted to give you a sneak peek of our new crime thriller, which launches tomorrow on PS4. Hidden Agenda blends the best of games and movies, allowing up to six players to play through a cinematic, interactive story.

We’ve taken inspiration from various neo-noir thrillers to craft a tale of betrayal and revenge, set in a rainy, rundown city. You play Detective Becky Marney and District Attorney Felicity Graves as they hunt down the “Trapper” — a serial killer who rigs his victims with explosives to murder the responding officers.

As part of the PS4 PlayLink initiative, Hidden Agenda is designed for use with phones or tablets instead of a DualShock 4. All players need to do is download the free companion app on their mobile devices and they’re all set! This makes the game accessible to friends who are new to gaming, and allows us to award secret information and objectives to individual players. Hidden Agenda is great fun to play on your own, but you’ll get a very different experience if you play it with friends.

This video gives you an overview of the game’s two modes: Story and Competitive. In Story mode, you’ll work together to catch the killer. In Competitive mode, you’ll get secret objectives as you play through. Much like a bluffing card game, you’ll need to trick your friends to evade blame and make your hidden agenda come true.

We’ve had so much fun creating Hidden Agenda, and we can’t wait for you to experience it for yourselves! I hope you enjoy this preview.

Add Your Own

Tomoprime said:

October 23rd, 7:18 am

Preorder says $20…

DJOmega6 said:

October 23rd, 8:26 am

The game is $20. The companion app is free.

Chet said:

October 23rd, 9:42 am

Is each player required to have a PS+ account?

I really enjoyed Until Dawn, but games that require multiplayer are just too cumbersome. Especially story driven games. Everyone has to be available at the same time.

I don’t like how Sony pounces on their newest successful development companies (like after Supermassive Games’ success with Until Dawn) to make their next project support Sony’s new technology ideas just to drop the use of the technology right afterwards. See what happened to Quantic Dream when Sony asked them to use the Move controllers in Heavy Rain? Has Quantic Dream ever used the Move controllers in any of their games since? The Move controllers is actually a better idea than using your cell phone to control the PS4. PlayLink is a really stupid idea and is wasting Supermassive Games’ time, money, talent and resources. Game looks beautiful. Storyline looks great! Gameplay looks very very stupid and restrained by PlayLink.

Digsanchez said:

October 23rd, 10:35 am

I don’t think Playlink is a stupid idea. Since its launch it was a great way to bring my friends who don’t play videogames to the platform. I spent several hours having fun with them at home playing That’s You for example. I think initiatives like this was not meant to usual players or those who usually play online multiplayer. It’s an idea that works very well when you meet friends at home for a pizza night or something. My friends are already looking forward to going home playing Hidden Agenda.

gibbsDPAJ said:

October 23rd, 11:28 am

Chet, Supermassive has always been a test dummy for Sony gear. They did the LittleBigPlanet Move spin-off before Until Dawn and Until Dawn was originally conceived as a PS Move required title for PS3. Development was delayed and they pretty much changed the game entitely for PS4, but you will notice they still used the motion sensors and had optional camera support. Playlink looks great (no, really) and makes sense for Supermassive. Note that Supermassive is also working on a VR title. Actually, they already did Until Dawn: Rush of Blood for VR.

In short….Supermassive has always been there to test the new gear and out their unique spin on it.

shaun98c said:

October 23rd, 3:57 pm

PlayLink is definitely not a stupid idea. I played four different PlayLink games including Hidden Agenda at Gamescom this year and they were all a huge blast to play, especially Frantics and Hidden Agenda. Including your friends in a story driven game is hugely fun and works really well. It’s different and unique. Frantics was actually my favourite game of the whole convention with Hidden Agenda not being too far behind.

inmusicutrust said:

October 23rd, 8:40 pm

Chet, this isn’t an online multiplayer game, it’s meant to to be played together on a couch. Instead of having some friends over to watch a movie you have friends over to play a movie, a movie where you can betray and deceive each other.

Tomoprime said:

October 23rd, 7:24 am

Is a cell phone required for single player?

TRACEMYROOTS said:

October 24th, 9:44 am

single player needs a cell phone

Yobo1987 said:

October 23rd, 7:26 am

Why does it say release tomorrow, when PSN sent out emails claiming release has been pushed to 22 November?

gibbsDPAJ said:

October 23rd, 11:30 am

I don’t know about your e-mail, but I have always seen tomorrow as the release date. I pre-ordered the disc from Amazon and I have a notifcafion that it shipped today so that I can have it tomorrow.

CJRock32 said:

October 24th, 8:41 am

In the US is still the 24th, around the world I believe it was pushed for localisation.

SilverWolf1268 said:

October 23rd, 8:09 am

Can I get the platinum trophy without using a phone or playing with other people?

gibbsDPAJ said:

October 23rd, 11:54 am

I am going to go ahead and assume there will be at least one trophy tied to the multiplayer hidden agenda mode. The question is whether or not there will be a trophy that requires the max 6 players to all be participating.

cusman said:

October 25th, 5:33 am

You need two smart devices, not two actual people if all you care about is Platinum trophy.

SOMARvelous1 said:

October 23rd, 9:03 am

what is the minimum required amount of players needed to play??

PRE ORDERING NOW!

Saw this premiere at the PS EXPO movie theater event. Been waiting ever so patiently for it ever since!

gibbsDPAJ said:

October 23rd, 11:33 am

1 for the story mode. Not sure of the minimum for the other mode.

SOMARvelous1 said:

October 27th, 1:13 pm

You can play competitive with only 2 players, but definitely need to have a coin toss for the times where you and the other player cant agree on an answer.

Pretty fun game except for the 2 player flaw. There should be some kind of coin IN GAME for times where its only 2 players.

Great game. pre ordered it and was able to play it @ 9:00pm on 10/23 BEFORE The actual release date!

Thank you randomness of the PS Store :P

whereymyconary said:

October 23rd, 11:29 am

Hoping I can still use the DS4 since I don’t like battling my phone battery charge. But still very excited, planning to play it tomorrow night with some friends.

Inhert said:

October 23rd, 1:13 pm

Can you play online if your friends have the game too? (like That’s you) or is it local multiplayer only?

TRACEMYROOTS said:

October 24th, 6:55 am

Nope CO-OP COUCH only!!

cusman said:

October 25th, 5:36 am

The only online thing in Hidden Agenda is global stats (like in the TellTale episodic games). The multiplayer is limited to local competitive mode and best part of the game.

TurtMan said:

October 23rd, 2:21 pm

How does it work with 2 players? How does it determine a tie between choices?

ColonelOCorn said:

October 23rd, 6:09 pm

The first one of these Playlink-type games that isn’t required to be local – can be done online and in a PSN party would be AMAZING. I have friends that I would love to play this with online. In party chat we would be laughing hysterically and taunting each other mercilessly!! I don’t know if that’s a latency issue or what, but man the thought of that would be so much fun!

Will definitely be picking this one up, just wanted to get that idea out there. Thanks Will!

medenko1975 said:

October 23rd, 10:14 pm

we need more answers here

cheapest RETAIL.

i want to play SOLO.

musicman1234 said:

October 23rd, 10:39 pm

Cat get the app to install.! Help

TRACEMYROOTS said:

October 24th, 6:48 am

WOW WHAT A WASTE OF TIME. Sony screws its customers again. My friends and I purchased this game to play across the internet as we all live in differnt states. After all isnt that the point of play link as sony has shown this through “Thats you”. Well guess what folks you can only play this is you are all in the same room. Thats right CO-OP Couch ONLY!!! The Advert was very misleading and Sony is pissing off a bunch of people over this as they are trying to push there new “PLAY LINK” service. Good grief. Just lost 3 play link future customers here.

that_sterlin_guy said:

October 24th, 2:04 pm

Thanks a lot for this information! Been looking all over the place to try figuring out if it had online play because my friends and I *loved* “That’s You!”, but I couldn’t find an answer anywhere. I’ll be sure to relay this to my friends and likely sit this one out – at least until it goes on sale.

erraticpixels said:

October 24th, 10:00 am

But I have no friends!

whereymyconary said:

October 25th, 7:45 am

Played Hidden Agenda last night, PLEASE make these DS4 Supported or at least the ability to change devices between the same user. My phone ran out of battery last night and when i switched to my IPad it wouldn’t let me start up again claiming I wasn’t the correct player. Very annoying. Had to start a new game just to have a new ‘controller’ Can’t image this happening at a movie night with a group of friends.

Game was a lot of fun though, but annoying device limitations.

medenko1975 said:

October 25th, 10:38 pm

and why is released in EU delayed for 1 month?

Broichan said:

October 28th, 12:04 pm

We played this at our team lunch yesterday. Everyone enjoyed it. Couple of suggestions:

1) Allow player change at Chapter breaks

or

2) Allow Drop in/Drop out.

We had some folks who had to get back to work at the end of chapter one and we couldn’t figure out a way to add replacement players.

And yeah, I know the game is meant to be played with the same group of friends over a couple-three evenings but still, this is 2017 and people are busy.

That’s my only beef.

DasSavva said:

October 28th, 7:27 pm

You could have, you know, not been a jerk and said that it was local multiplayer. I purchased to play with people online.

OH, JOKE’S ON ME, YOU GOT MY MONEY, HAHA.

GrieverLion-23 said:

October 31st, 4:04 am

Please add DS4 support for those of us who don’t have a party every night. Would be great to play single player on an actual controller like we did with Until Dawn.

Dezmixbe said:

November 7th, 7:32 am

I really want to buy this game and support Supermassive, but the lack of basic controller support kills it for me. I don’t need yet another app on my phone.

O_o-Papa_Bear said:

November 8th, 7:06 pm

So does the story ever change or is it always the same? I would hate to know whats going to happen if I play it once with some friends and then play again with others.