God of War

Oct 30

Oct 30

Ghost of Tsushima, Sucker Punch’s New Project, Revealed at Paris Games Week

Here are the first long-awaited details on what Sucker Punch has been up to: a sprawling, open-world samurai game set in feudal Japan.

Nate Fox's Avatar Posted by Game Director, Sucker Punch Productions

Is there a game that you always wished someone would make, but they never did? Well, that’s what we’ve been doing here at Sucker Punch for the last few years—building the game we’ve wanted for so long to be able to play.

It’s called Ghost of Tsushima.

Ghost of Tsushima PGW-06

Seriously, how come no one has made a sprawling samurai open-world game yet? Feudal Japan is beautiful; from the swaying bamboo forests to the ornate castles, it’s a place that demands to be explored.  Don’t you want to wear a suit of samurai armor? Wouldn’t you like to fire a six-foot-tall samurai long bow?  Want to journey across a lush countryside with a katana on your hip?  For me, the answer is clearly “yes, yes please.”

I’ve been a fan of samurai comics since 5th grade, from Lone Wolf and Cub to Usagi Yojimbo. The types of characters, landscapes, betrayal, and sacrifice in those stories are a rich vein ready to be translated into a videogame. The artists and engineers here at Sucker Punch have brought this world to life on PlayStation 4, from tall grass blowing in the wind to the call of a far off crane, we want to make it feel real.  All of what’s shown in our debut trailer was captured in our game engine, that’s the interactive world we’re painstakingly crafting together, that’s the world we’re going to set on fire.

Ghost of Tsushima PGW-03

Ghost of Tsushima PGW-04Ghost of Tsushima PGW-05

In 1274, the Mongol army invaded Japan, their first stop: Tsushima Island.  In Ghost of Tsushima, you play as a battered samurai, fighting back against overwhelming odds.  In the trailer, you see the leader of the Mongols, a guy I would describe as an “uncomfortably reasonable killer” trying to intimidate our hero.  It’s all there, right in that little scene.  The power and confidence of the Mongol Empire coming face to face with pure, lethal, samurai determination.

We’re excited to finally be able to talk about the game and look forward to sharing more in the coming months. Keeping it a secret for so long has been painful.  The trailer is the perfect way to share with the world what we’ve been dying to play for so many years—fighting back invaders in feudal Japan, mastering the katana and building your legend as “the Ghost.”

-Nate Fox

Ghost of Tsushima PGW-02

(Side thing. If you’re trying to figure out which actors are in the trailer; Jin, our hero, is Daisuke Tsuji and the Khan is played by Patrick Gallagher. These guys can bring it.)

Add Your Own

glassmusic said:

October 30th, 9:39 am

So glad to see Sucker Punch spreading its wings!

pablikenemy79 said:

October 30th, 9:43 am

So this mean RIP Infamous 3 or an infamous game for Ps Vita :(

I_am_rushin said:

October 30th, 9:52 am

Hahahaha PS Vita lol

dvictor- said:

October 30th, 10:44 am

Sony stopped their west support for the Vita 3 years ago.

pickupdoctor said:

October 30th, 2:06 pm

This is awesome, I think Sucker Punch has been waiting to make this games for years. PS Vita sailed few years ago when AAA game support never really materialized.

TJ_Solo said:

October 31st, 1:57 am

It means they are making a game called Ghost of Tsushima. Nothing about Infamous as a series has been commented on.
    Sony said they aren’t making games for the Vita about 4 years ago. Try dealing with facts a tad bit more.

Shadow_Dancer said:

October 31st, 4:08 am

Unfortunately Sony killed the Vita about 4 years ago, when some incompetent idiot at Sony that not supporting your own system was a good idea.

Rainwater said:

November 2nd, 5:20 pm

Yes, this means there will be no infamous game for the Vita. Really hard for some people to let go, I guess.

HellBringer1975 said:

October 30th, 9:49 am

Hell ya after great AC origins in a great new area and now this coming i cant wait i love open world games and i just cant wait to see how they do combat and side quests since witcher 3 showed how they are done right and origins is trying with good detailed side quests for some i hope this game is a nioh style combat

saberhilt said:

November 1st, 2:26 am

Seriously glad to see this.. Assasins Creed developers/publishers would only do a Ninja / Japanese era when thier last cash runs out and would be seemingly desparate for money.. I dont know.

What i do know is — SCREW Assassins Creed Franchise for not doing this sooner. – AWESOME, way to go SUCKER PUNCH @@!!! More power and love to ya guys!

kitler53 said:

October 30th, 9:58 am

the setting looks fantastic. sucker punch is fantastic. swords >>> guns.

i’m very excited!!

BlueBl1zzard said:

October 30th, 10:00 am

Would not have guessed this is what Sucker Punch was working on all this time. Looks and sounds exciting though, I’m definitely interested!

TomHoang said:

October 30th, 10:04 am

Well there was an open-world Samurai game, called Yakuza Ishin. Too bad Sega decided to be jerks and not release it in the West when it should have.

I’m a big Sucker Punch fan, and I’m so excited for this!

akibake said:

October 30th, 10:07 am

This game looks gorgeous. If you can nail the ephemera of Japanese culture, it could be much better than some of the excellent feudal era games in the Yakuza series.

wjang said:

October 30th, 10:37 am

Yes I need this. Please make it BIG.

Beyondthegrave07 said:

October 30th, 10:40 am

This looks amazing. I guess we’ll have to wait and see if a MP will be included. Though, personally, I think they should stick with focusing on a rich open world with a great single player experience, but that’s just me.

dvictor- said:

October 30th, 10:42 am

If this game comes full and without microtrasactions and lootboxes, will be a great game.

Tatanka2007 said:

October 30th, 7:02 pm

What he said! My fave game this gen has been Horizon Zero Dawn WITH no season pass, no microtransactions. The upcoming DLC add-on was something that was definitely cooked up after the release as opposed to the “recent” trend of holding back pieces of final product to sell separately. HZD is offering the kind of DLC gamers don’t mind. I am so looking forward to it.

I was looking forward to Assassin’s Creed Origins on my X1X next week (still prefer my PS4 Pro), but the MTs are a turn-off. Ubisoft made loot so stingy that they want you to give in and give up your cash. I just returned my game and got my money back.

If Ghost of Tsushima doesn’t give into this kind of stuff, it sounds awesome. Fingers crossed for this one!

spoptinator said:

October 30th, 11:35 am

This is the best thing ever. And the best day ever.

saberhilt said:

November 1st, 2:28 am

ABSOLUTELY.. totally looking forward to Ghost of Tsushima. = when could possibly be a release date?

karocage said:

October 30th, 11:45 am

So refreshing to see a less-used setting for what looks like a huge, amazing game.

Not_Too_Sweet said:

October 30th, 11:57 am

“Seriously, how come no one has made a sprawling samurai open-world game yet?”
Um… Yakuza Kenzan and Isshin? The Way of the Samurai series?

akibake said:

October 30th, 12:14 pm

Kenzan and Isshin were decent, but not really open world. Open town, is more like it. Also, IMHO, that series has been holding on to the same game engine for far too long. Although it looks good, the game mechanics never change. It’s more or less a fresh coat of paint on the same old Yakuza game. Kenzan is my favorite in the series, though, mainly for the setting and (mostly) legitimate period Japanese experience. Obviously, the series is known for breaking out of historical accuracy, but it presents a nice environment to “vacation” in. It may be tough to match the cultural accuracy of a game about Japan, by a Japanese developer. Again, they take major liberties. It sounds like Nate is more enamored by an accurate period experience, as presented in great samurai films. Although the corny humor in Yakuza is fun, I am much more intrigued to play a tonally serious, truly open world game, which is true to the austere nature of classic samurai culture. Based on the visuals in the trailer, this game could be closer to that experience than any game yet.

Souledge94 said:

October 30th, 1:40 pm

the short second of gameplay has me hyped. I want to see more.

VertigeV said:

October 30th, 2:05 pm

That looks amazing. I’m in.

Senjutsu_Dav said:

October 30th, 2:34 pm

I’m a big fan of Sucker Punch and I love the feudal Japan setting, but I’m still unsure on how the two can make sense together. I’m also sad we won’t see another Infamous (at least not soon). I’ll need a gameplay video to understand.

Naustradamus said:

October 30th, 3:55 pm

Thank you … Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU. No gameplay trailer yet, yet this shows the promise of a game me and my friend have wanted since ps1-ps2 days!. Sure, ninja’s are cool, but even in games, they’ve always been idolized to super-human abilities. I really hope this bring it to a more realistic levels and even include shinobi (disguise spying) as part of the gameplay. Been wanting this ever since Bushido Blade, Tenchu (to a certain degree), kengo for PS2, or even Way of the Samurai to a certain degree as well. Please don’t turn this into another samurai warriors or anything over the top like that.

hongthay said:

October 30th, 7:59 pm

This blew my mind. I am really looking forward to this one. I’ve watched the trailer a few times already. Definitely something that will hopefully scratch my itch for a samurai game.

MidnightDragonDX said:

October 30th, 10:29 pm

Looks awesome!

omegazio said:

October 31st, 12:33 am

I can’t wait to play this Masterpiece Thank you Sony Interactive Entertainment and Sucker Punch Productions.

Natoosa said:

October 31st, 2:16 am

Finally, a game in feudal Japan that does not have supernatural elements and it even looks better than any AC game I’ve played , well done Sucker Punch

GrieverLion-23 said:

October 31st, 3:53 am

Holy Crap, Holy Crap! Someones finally making a game set in Feudal Japan. I’m finally getting to play as a Samurai! Long have I waited for this moment. For awhile it seemed that we would never get a game like this. I’ve been a fan of classic Samurai themed Anime such as Rurouni Kenshin and Ninja Scroll and games such as Onimusha and now I’m finally gonna get to see an open world Samurai game. I thought this day would never come. Thank You Sucker Punch, looking forward to this so much! Please give it everything you’ve got!

Shadow_Dancer said:

October 31st, 4:04 am

This looks freakin awesome! Love feudal Japan. I’m only disappointed you don’t play as a ninja. Samurai are the the less cooler versions.

Zoryu_of_Setsuna said:

October 31st, 8:05 am

I just got chills down my spine from watching that. I’ve been waiting for some one to make a game like this, open world Samurai game set in Feudal Japan. It’s like you guys were reading my mind!

markuzkuz said:

October 31st, 10:16 am

Finally!

The game looks gorgeous, I am really happy for some of the first party studios from Sony, they are creating great games. Horizon was an amazing title (my favorite this year along Breath of the Wild), I loved Gravity Rush 2, Days Gone looks interesting and now Ghost of Tsushima, which was the best title for me from the showcase.

Can’t wait to see gameplay!

Gervaise35 said:

October 31st, 3:17 pm

Thanks for mentioning Usagi Yojimbo. That’s so cool! I’m not sure if I’m looking for another open world game since there are so many in the market, but this game looks quite promising and I really like the Feudal Japan setting.

ApexNinjaKilla said:

October 31st, 9:58 pm

Looks great can’t wait to pick this up.

hungryhitman2009 said:

November 1st, 12:29 am

why sucker punch why why I l tell you what about the infamous second son sequal

SpaceBalls9988 said:

November 1st, 8:22 am

“how come no one has made a sprawling samurai open-world game yet?” ummm hate to break it to nate fox there has been a samurai series called the way of the samurai and its open world so yeah it has been done before cant wait to see gameplay from this game as well

Pauliely said:

November 1st, 12:50 pm

Ghost of Tsushima looks fantastic. Sucker Punch is one of my favorite game developers. Creators of great Sly Cooper trilogy back on PS2 and Infamous games for PS3 and PS4. Can’t wait to see more of this game.

Edlechuga said:

November 1st, 8:12 pm

Thanks Sucker Punch!! This is game looks so good.

Please!! Afterward give us Sly Cooper 5

MichaelNyboeBach said:

November 1st, 11:55 pm

A samurai open-world game sounds amazing. I can only imagine how great this will look on the PS4pro considering how gorgeous Second Sun was. Ready to pre order!!

CTTCJ123 said:

November 2nd, 4:24 am

ghost of tsushima the game not even coming up, so how do you pre order it?

paulogy said:

November 2nd, 9:18 am

What a relief it must be to finally talk about your game! And to have been able to keep that secret that long without any leaks (that I am aware of) is amazing. Congrats on your reveal, and I’m really looking forward to seeing more :-)

malpope18 said:

November 2nd, 12:22 pm

You have me intrigued in this sucker punch.

maysa3529 said:

November 2nd, 8:50 pm

HERE COMES THE HYPE TRAIN

TranquilitysEdge said:

November 2nd, 8:56 pm

This game is going to be so good, I can feel it!

crimsonfang19 said:

November 3rd, 9:42 am

hope it will be more like a skyrim or the witcher type of open world game crafting samurai weapons and armour buy a home join a clan

crimsonfang19 said:

November 4th, 3:39 am

and instead of collecting shouts from dragons we gain powers from the twelve Chinese zodiac signs

Tedermaan said:

November 6th, 3:02 am

We’re ready for a gameplay demo showcase. Bring it on Sucker Punch! (please don’t be Arkcham-style-combat. Fingers crossed.)

Kid_Grim said:

November 6th, 11:10 am

SMH Just take my money then

ElderGodRaiden1 said:

November 11th, 5:04 am

This game is going to be AMAZING. I cannot wait just because I love japan and I love the samurai.
I genuinely hope SUCKERPUNCH pulls the game off well although I have no doubt in my mind that they will pull the game off seamlessly. I will probably have to start saving now to guarantee that I get the game on the day of release. Very hyped!!!

jasoncrunky said: