Knack 2

Oct 30

Oct 30

Spelunky 2 Announced, Coming to PS4

Surprise! Mossmouth's acclaimed indie masterpiece gets a sequel announcement at Paris Games Week.

Derek Yu's Avatar Posted by Mossmouth

Yes, that’s right! I’m happy to announce that Spelunky 2 is in development and coming to PS4! This was a hard secret to keep, as we’ve received quite a few requests for a Spelunky sequel over the years. A sequel has been on my mind, too, but I knew I had to wait for the right time.

After Spelunky was released, I took a break from game development, got married, and became a dad! During this period, I wrote a book about Spelunky’s development and my design philosophies, but mostly I spent time with my wife and daughter. As my daughter got older and the chaos began to subside, however, thoughts of Spelunky 2 started to take a real shape inside my head.

Given what I wanted to do with the sequel, I knew the only way it could possibly get made is with my friends at BlitWorks. Sony first introduced me to them in 2013 to port Spelunky to PS3, PS Vita, and eventually PS4. I had a great experience working with them on the ports – they’re extremely professional, easy-going, and good at what they do. As far as I was concerned, Spelunky 2 would get made with Blit or it wouldn’t get made at all, since Blit was familiar with the original game and also had the skills and manpower to do the sequel justice. The only thing I wasn’t sure of was whether they would want to build a game from scratch with me, since their specialty was porting.

Spelunky 2 PGW-02

Thankfully, they were excited to work together again! And so, along with Eirik Suhrke (Spelunky’s musician), we began working on Spelunky 2 and have been at it for a couple of years now. Andy Hull, Spelunky’s lead programmer, is working on his own game, Dunk Lords, but I’ll definitely be picking his brain for feedback, as well.

As you can see from the trailer, parenthood has had a big influence on Spelunky 2’s story and themes. For now, I’ll leave it to your imagination what it all means, but I will say that there are similarities between being a parent and working on a sequel. Both involve a lot of reflecting on the past as well as thinking about the future. With Spelunky 2, we get a chance to examine in depth what makes Spelunky unique and draw it out even more. At the same time, we need to move forward and take some risks with new ideas, keeping the series fresh for longtime fans and for ourselves.

I’m sure you have a lot of questions about Spelunky 2 and we have a lot more to share with you in the months to come about what’s new, what’s returning, and when you’ll be able to play the game. For now, we just wanted to let you know that yes, it exists! Many thanks to Sony and all the PlayStation players who have supported us over the years. We can’t wait to bring you back into the world of Spelunky!

Add Your Own

Scaramanga1983 said:

October 30th, 9:54 am

Even indies are announcing games with trailers that shows no gameplay.

dominochu said:

October 30th, 10:35 am

Can’t wait! I Love me some Spelunky.

langdon said:

October 30th, 10:55 am

I’m looking forward to this more than anything else right now! I had such a blast with the first and it’s a game I consider to be “Best on Vita”. Any change of the second coming to Vita? Hopefully it’s possible and not filled with cpu-intensive AI or anything. ;)

Gorvi said:

October 30th, 2:11 pm

Yeah, I would love to have this on the Vita. I played the original far, far more on the Vita than anywhere else.

MapleStory said:

October 30th, 11:04 am

Derek, you are a GOD! Thank you so much for creating a sequel to what many of us already consider a masterpiece. I’ve been a huge fan ever since Spelunky was ported over to the PS3 and Vita and still run daily challenges regularly (though admittedly, not as much as I used to). Really can’t wait to find out more details. Keep up the great work and congrats on all your life achievements since your game’s release!

Superstone said:

October 30th, 1:04 pm

I want to play this on the go. Is it coming to the Switch?

cowmamba said:

October 30th, 2:16 pm

Oh man! Come on! Vita? Please!? I too played it more on the Vita than anywhere else.

geneMag said:

October 30th, 7:59 pm

+1 for vita request.
    Spelunky was perfect as a portable game. I wouldn’t have played it as much if I were stuck in front of the TV. (Remote Play isn’t a good option while commuting btw.)

Crunchewy said:

October 30th, 8:17 pm

Spelunky is GOAT. Can’t wait for this and to get in at the beginning, figuring the game out along with everyone else.

Crunchewy said:

October 30th, 8:19 pm

I played more on PS4, but I still played a lot on Vita and hope it’ll be coming there eventually. Unfortunately I’m sure that’s not going to happen.

phinnv8 said:

October 31st, 4:55 am

No gameplay? Here’s to hoping the sequel is slightly easier than the first. Never could beat the first one but great game though :(

Dueh said:

October 31st, 4:30 pm

I know that dog has seen some things…..

And lived!!

paulogy said:

November 2nd, 9:15 am

Yay for more Spelunky! Please say you’ll still have local multiplayer in the sequel? Perhaps even an asymmetric parent / child mechanic good for younger players? ;-)