Knack 2

Oct 31

Oct 31

God of War: Inside the Paris Games Week Trailer

Santa Monica Studio Head Shannon Studstill recaps the new God of War trailer shown at PGW as we inch closer to the game's early 2018 release date.

Shannon Studstill's Avatar Posted by Head of Studio, Santa Monica Studio

“That’s a Soul Eater. If that kills us, that’s it… no Valhalla…” – Atreus

When we unveiled a bold, daunting, new direction for God of War at E3 2016, Cory wrote here “Change is an essential part of life. In creative development change is often the explosive spark that transforms good enough into truly memorable.” As we sit here in the studio on the cusp of our content lock for the game, I can tell you our team’s souls are downright driven to nail those memorable moments with as much determination as Kratos and Atreus are on their incredible journey. There are no Soul Eaters lurking in these halls, though today you may think otherwise with our studio Halloween decorations. This team is making it happen once again through perseverance, passion, and determination.

What you witnessed in God of War’s new Paris Games Week trailer is a smidgeon – a sliver – of the unflinching, intense, brutal, and often empowering new combat in God of War. Every time I pick up the controller to play, I feel like I have Kratos’ Leviathan Axe in my hand (I avoid using it as a projectile though), and can hear Atreus’ arrows whizzing by (not to mention his witty motivational banter). The impact of every attack you connect feels like it has a titanic ton of energized force behind it, and the strategic decisions you’ll be forced to make mid-combat are your keys to survival.

Intensity, strategy, and an emotional combat connection between father and son is what Cory and all the creative leads want people to feel when seeing this Draugr encounter in the Huldra Mine. When Kratos launches his Axe at a Heavy Draugr to vault him back a step, Atreus comes in with an acrobatic flying double kick, sending him like a ping pong ball right back into the brick wall that is Kratos’ bare fists. That combat moment in the middle of mayhem is a perfect example of how Kratos and Atreus can take down their enemies together.

With Atreus at your side you have the strongest support next to Kratos’ primary weapon and bare fists you’ve ever experienced in a God of War game. The team worked diligently to ensure Atreus’ actions vary from long range arrow stuns, to enemy strangleholds, to acrobatic tag-team maneuvers that will help Kratos take down any enemy, any size, and any amount.

I’m still barely scratching the surface here on our new combat system that we’ve been laboring on tirelessly, and can’t wait to show you more as we head into early 2018.

Add Your Own

akab211 said:

October 31st, 8:26 am

It looks amazing and I hope its still as varied and exciting as the previous games.

Foxx said:

October 31st, 8:35 am

Early 2018 can’t come soon enough. Any chance this will be playable at PSX? :)

xDD90x said:

October 31st, 9:58 am

I absolutely love how Atreus calls out where the out-of-view enemies are. It looks like a really useful and logical feature to have in this game. Especially with the camera being player-controlled and more close-up behind Kratos vs the old fixed camera from the previous titles. I mean, how many times in games do we get attacked by off-screen enemies that the player is oblivious to. It just makes perfect sense that if you have someone else by your side, they would call out incoming danger, yet I don’t recall ever seeing this feature implemented dynamically, directly into the gameplay in another game as it is here.

This game just keeps looking better and better with every new reveal. Can’t wait!

Logan22 said:

November 1st, 11:14 pm

Its actually similar to the voices in your head in HellBlade

pablikenemy79 said:

October 31st, 12:29 pm

Too much TLOU and the kid seems annoying..

pablikenemy79 said:

October 31st, 12:32 pm

*To be honest

PRIMEPROJECT said:

November 9th, 6:00 pm

yeah because TLOU was such a letdown, oh wait… second most awarded game in history behind Witcher 3 hmmm someone seems jelly, you want to see something that doesn’t seem annoying, it actually is annoying? commenting on how a superpower hack&slash with Norse gods in antic times looks too much like a present day zombie apocalypse with regular humans, maybe you need to work on your comprehension skills, learn what Norse Gods, Supernatural Powers and God Of War are, then compare it with present day, zombies and regular humans

ShadowWarrior199 said:

November 1st, 12:17 am

I’ve kinda been on the fence about this game ever since the reveal since it had a very cinematic TLOU approach and I’m not a huge fan of that given the other GOW titles or other action games were all about great gameplay, but this single gameplay segment of Kratos wailing on some baddies is all I needed to see to get me on board. Can’t wait to see more of this game in the coming months, especially the epic boss battles.

PRIMEPROJECT said:

November 9th, 6:02 pm

“I’ve kinda been on the fence about this game ever since the reveal since it had a very cinematic TLOU approach”
    ummm… have you seen like…. the first reveal trailer? i mean, the trailer where Kratos punches a giant troll like he’s a regular enemy? then unleashes magical attack from his Axe that he can retrieve with the power of his mind?, or when he smashes the giant trll into the ground with his bare hands? or when a dragon flies at the end? yup, cinematic TLOU 100%, can’t wait to fight giant trolls with magical weapons in TLOU2

LoliGoddd said:

November 13th, 1:07 am

PRIMEPROJECT God damn, you’re really an oversensitive fanboy, that even your IQ falls to 0 instantly. Oh wait, it always was 0 to begin with. my apologies. I think you’re mixing “cinematic” with another word. Try again, kid.

Andoracer said:

November 1st, 5:54 pm

Babysitter of War, who came up with this idea? Looks lame af

PRIMEPROJECT said:

November 9th, 5:56 pm

did you see any moment in the trailers where you had to save the kid? no? didn’t think so, lame comment lol

Thrill_Kill said:

November 5th, 8:07 am

Please add Stereoscopic 3D to the game, Sony! Otherwise I will have to pass for now until the game gets some love for the real things that made the PS3 games shine. Also, it would be nice to see ALL the GOW games hit the PS4 with PRO support, running at 4K OR at 1080p 60fps in Stereo 3D! That would be so sweet! I bought GOW Ascention, but never played it due to it missing 3D support, but I played the GOW PSP games on the PS3 in 3D and they were so amazing! Please bring us what we had on the PS3, that which the XBone X lacks, and show them what we can have that they will never have! Make our games SHINE and give them TRUE depth! I am still hoping Sony will listen, as Blockbuster movies STILL are in 3D, so why not our games? That made them SO MUCH better! I still find nothing cooler than Motorstorm 3D Rift, Killzone 3, RR7 in 3D and the COD Blops in 3D to be the MOST amazing experiences in my gaming library!

PRIMEPROJECT said:

November 9th, 5:56 pm

you can forget about that

virubash said:

November 7th, 8:32 am

This game is epic, even though I am not interested in war ,mythology type of games , I am so hyped for this,It would be even better if u guys introduce a new playable character like a brother of kratos,& next time pls do a god of war in Egypt mythology with all those deadly mummies,mummification,Egyptian snakes as bosses,climbing pyramids,could be a new experience for gow players & a new base for the game branch

patchalatrouci said:

November 10th, 2:35 am

je peux pas attendre

SkoobSavage said:

November 13th, 11:31 am

I can’t wait for this to release! I love the switch in the series while keeping the basis intact.