God of War

Oct 31

Oct 31

Shadow of the Colossus for PS4 Launches February 6, Watch the Opening

The team at Bluepoint Games has completely rebuilt the beloved classic for a new generation of players.

Yasutaka Asakura's Avatar Posted by Executive Producer, JAPAN Studio

In case you missed it, we just debuted new footage of Shadow of the Colossus for PS4 as part of the PlayStation press conference at Paris Games Week. We are happy to confirm that Shadow of the Colossus for PlayStation 4 will launch on February 6, 2018 with an MSRP of $39.99.

As we stressed during our E3 2017 unveil, Shadow of the Colossus on PS4 is not a port or remaster. The beloved all-time classic has been completely rebuilt by the highly regarded team at Bluepoint Games. They are no stranger when it comes to reintroducing gems of PlayStation’s past for new generations of gamers to experience; their reputation for faithful, beautiful restorations precedes them.

Shadow of the Colossus

Shadow of the ColossusShadow of the Colossus

Captured from a PlayStation 4 Pro system. 4K images require a 4K display

Still, Shadow of the Colossus will be their largest project ever, and as you’ve seen from the footage we’ve been able to share so far, they have reengineered a gaming masterpiece with amazing care and precision.

We can’t wait for longtime fans and new ones alike to be able to experience Shadow of the Colossus again on PlayStation 4. It has never looked more stunning and never been as immersive, and on PlayStation 4 Pro, runs at a breathtaking dynamic 4K resolution targeting 30 fps.

The opening to Shadow of the Colossus is haunting, something any fan would recognize from the first shot and musical cues. We’re excited to be able to share a clip of that introduction sequence, which we feel showcases the extent of this remake and the care with which it is being handled. Please enjoy!

Shadow of the Colossus PGW-06Shadow of the Colossus PGW-07

Add Your Own

Aero_Guardian17 said:

October 31st, 12:39 pm

As someone who has only had a PlayStation 4, I cannot wait to experience this gem! Just look how beautiful it is! To top it all off, it comes out very soon! I am stoked!

MinatoAlvarez said:

November 2nd, 8:20 am

Dude you will love this game I played it when it came out on the PS2 and let me tell you it’s a masterpiece of a game well I won’t spoil it for you hope you will like it

xDD90x said:

October 31st, 12:42 pm

A recent hands on impressions of the PGW demo by IGN noted that while the game looks incredible and retains the essence of the original, it also retains the same stubborn camera and “archaic control system”, which is quiet concerning.

This beloved classic is one of the rare games that truly deserves this full rebuild treatment, but to just update the graphics and not the controls would be a missed opportunity to make this masterpiece a lasting piece of gaming art that will be played for years to come and will garner the critical and commercial success that it rightfully deserves. After all, these same issues are precisely what hindered the success of The Last Guardian.

I know it may be too late in the game’s development process to correct these issues, but please, listen to this early feedback from journalists and fans and try to improve these systems that will surely be criticised upon launch. Even if it means delaying the release date. It would be such a shame to see this game’s success hampered by mediocre reception due solely to the aforementioned issues. Again, this title deserves more than this.

Tatanka2007 said:

October 31st, 1:10 pm

xDD90x nailed it on the head in a very polite and elegant way. Camera and control issues really hampered many older titles like Shadow of Colossus. For the most part AAA titles have made that a thing of the past thankfully. No matter how beautiful a remaster is, the bottom line is how does it play. If the experience is marred because of obsolute camera and control handling, then the ultimate experience is determined by that. That said, Shadow of Colossus can look absolutely “stunning” and “immersive, but if it isn’t fun to play, it will be the kind of game that is quickly neglected.

bahamutfan64 said:

October 31st, 1:29 pm

I had heard that two control schemes would be implemented: a classical one that retains all the quirks of the original; and a modern one that’s more in line with current games. Is that not the case anymore, or was the demo merely set to the classical control scheme?

arlrex said:

October 31st, 5:57 pm

Hope they have the classic and either allow customize options or have a updated one like bahamutfan64 mentioned. I still pop in old games every now and then and just having new controllers will really mess with me when I try to play it. This is probably what new players will experience if it has the old controls instead of the new standard ones. So fingers crossed for at lest two control schemes.

Logan22 said:

November 1st, 11:26 pm

I don’t trust Marty after his Last Guardian review, because I had no issue with the camera for the kind of game it was and the controls also made perfect sense for the game (triangle is jump because X is drop, up and down). Not only does the game have different controls to choose from, but even if it didn’t, everyone forgets that the PS4 itself lets you button map any button to whichever you want. And people gotta stop expecting Devil May Cry/Ninja Gaiden camera out of these games. These are totally different games with ginormous scale and crazy AI going on, and the camera never really gets in the way of anything. Whenever the camera takes control of itself its usually for a reason to show you something important or provide dynamic scale.

HugoStiglitz_420 said:

November 3rd, 10:02 pm

You know it’s nit picky BS like that which make me so untrusting of reviews.

Most of these dudes that do reviews have been gaming for so many years, and played so many games (many of which they didn’t want to play but had to because of their job as a gaming journalist) that they’re jaded to a point I don’t think anyone should EVER get to with something they used to love. I’d feel bad for them if they weren’t consistently misrepresenting the hard work of dev’s and games that so many people love to death.

The camera in SoTC is used so infrequently, and it is so overshadowed by how good the game actually is, if you’re the type of gamer that wouldn’t take the tiny insignificant amount of effort to deal with it, you’re either an idiot, stubborn, or just plain unskilled. There’s really no excuse for it. Nobody plays games for the camera controls, so to NOT play a game because of that is just insane. Especially a game where it’s not even necessary to use because the camera auto corrects and points you in the right direction all the time.

NeodeosX said:

November 4th, 1:56 pm

I played the game at PGW and controls were smoother than in the PS2/PS3 version. Had no particular problem with the camera either, I’m not sure what they’re complaining about. The game is totally enjoyable to play. It’s actually funny ’cause even when some medias where complaining about the PS2 version, I hadn’t any problems with controls or camera, I just learned how to handle them and my experience went really great.
    So, yeah, don’t worry too much. Any good gamer will be able to play it without struggling. Some game journalists would really need to learn how to play better, though huhu.

Robbie_G_lrish said:

October 31st, 1:05 pm

The soundtrack is my second favourite of all time. Is it getting a quality boost too?

HugoStiglitz_420 said:

November 3rd, 10:04 pm

In the intro video they released, it was the same as the original soundtrack. same recording.

I wouldn’t mind if they re-recorded the soundtrack but they better not change it.

Pauliely said:

November 1st, 12:39 pm

Bluepoint Games is doing a great work with remaking Shadow of the Colossus.

paulogy said:

November 2nd, 10:21 am

It feels so good to be back! Can’t wait to play SotC all over again :-)

Dragonsmana said:

November 3rd, 8:16 pm

Can you confirm the Life Sword Pre-order DLC will come with the physical version?

Really looking forward to the game guys!

HugoStiglitz_420 said:

November 3rd, 9:42 pm

MAKE A COLLECTOR’S EDITION DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would be all over that in a heartbeat. I’d spend anything up to and including $200. That’s how much I love this game and it’s more recent “sequel”.

SoTC is in my top 3 of all time, and TLG is my #1 so anything Ueda related, I’m always going to be excited for.

Especially the amazing work Bluepoint is doing on this remake. It looks insane. Also hope Ueda has some artistic input on the remake process. It would feel a lot better to me if it he was doing the art for this game like the original, even if he’s not fully involved with development.

ASHKAN_jvd said:

November 17th, 8:12 am

Bluepoint Games, I’ve noticed two issues in some video previews:

Missing Collisions: The tree branches do not have collisions on them so the player simply clips right through them.

Wonder’s Hair Physics: Wonder needs to have realistic hair physics which reacts to the wind.

Bonus Content: Model Viewer with animations, Photo Mode, Concept Art, Scrap Book, Developer Interview and Cheats.

Thrill_Kill said:

November 18th, 4:43 am

This game NEEDS to retain the Stereoscopic 3D that the remaster on PS3 has, and with PS4 PRO power it should be able to do that easily, and still keep the game running smoothly at 30fps locked, and in 1080p, which is what we all wanted from the PS3 in the first place, and with my Sony bravia 65″ HDTV in 4K and HDR, this game would be absolutely worth it 100% to repurchase a 3rd time around just to see it remastered with TRUE 1080p 3D at 30fps. PLEASE, I beg you guys, make my wish come true, for all of us that STILL LOVE 3D Movies, and 3D games! Believe it or not there are a LOT of us still out here, still trying to get LG and others to make new 3D monitors for the new Pacific Rim 2 and the new Avatar sequels coming out soon in 4K 3D, and with enough support it might happen, meanwhile if you show some support for the best games, and don’t abandon us, at least until then we can enjoy the PS4 Pro to it’s fullest as there are at least 10 1080p 3D games on the PS4, and they run like champions! Please make this happen!