PlayStation VR

Nov 15

Nov 15

Fighting EX Layer Coming to PS4, Beta Begins December 11

How creator Akira Nishitani wants to keep every battle a little crazy.

Akira Nishitani's Avatar Posted by Arika

Hello! This is Akira Nishitani from Arika, but you might know me as NIN. Currently I’m hard at work on creating our “Mysterious Fighting Game.”

It’s been awhile since we’ve made some announcements, so today I’d like to share two new pieces of news with you all. Up until now, we’ve been referring to our project as “The Mysterious Fighting Game,” but we’re happy to announce that it finally has an official name: it’s Fighting EX Layer!

There were some troubles during the naming process that caused some delays, but it’s finally settled! (Although there were a lot of people already calling it this whenever we streamed…)

The next piece of news is that the dates for the beta test have been decided! Immediately following the conclusion of Playstation Experience on December 11, we will be holding the beta test for a two week period! There will be six characters playable in total: Kairi, Garuda, Skullomania, Darun Mister, Allen Snider, and Shirase.

This time we really want to focus on testing the network match function around the world, so everyone please participate and don’t hesitate to give us your honest feedback.

But that’s not all! We will also be bringing a demo version to Playstation Experience! If you want to get a headstart before the beta test, please come out and try our game.

About the Gougi system that everyone is curious about: it’s grown into a very deep and exciting addition to the game. When the idea first came about, I brainstormed various Gougi, which combinations would work well, and what the matches would be like. Trying to imagine all of the possibilities, I got a feeling that “This game is going to be interesting!”

But after experimenting with my Gougi ideas, I often ended up saying “This is not what I imagined.” But that’s where the fun lies! Coming up with new ideas and experimenting in game was awesome. I believe not many games allow you to so easily brainstorm ideas and then test them out in-game; please try it!

There a few things I wanted to accomplish with the Gougi system:

“I want to change the flow of matches.”

For example, in most other fighting games, aside from times where you think, “I can win in one more combo,” “I can win if I chip him out,” and “I’m in the corner,” your battle strategy doesn’t really change that much, right? I wanted to change this on a system level and make a game where matches get crazier and more exciting as they go on.

“I want players to have different ways to play depending on their Gougi.”

This goes without saying! I’m sure there will be some Gougi that work well with other Gougi, and some that suit certain characters better than others.

“I want to continue adding Gougi and change the game environment.”

This is still just an idea, but I’d like to add new Gougi at certain fixed intervals, which would in turn create the feeling of a new game. Even by adding just a single Gougi, I think you would be surprised by how much the characters can change. Although as a developer, I’m quite worried about whether or not something crazy will occur!

Frankly speaking, the Gougi system is extreme! Please enjoy it, and go into battle thinking “What kind of crazy thing can I do to my opponent this time?”
Well then, I also will be going to Anaheim for Playstation Experience, so let’s meet at the venue!

Add Your Own

Carlytto said:

November 15th, 5:55 am

Wasn’t Skullo is street fighter before?

Carlytto said:

November 15th, 6:00 am

Ah, Skullomania

Ksmooth2022 said:

November 15th, 6:05 am

Yes but I believe he was created by Arika. They own the rights to that character as well as others in the alpha games that weren’t from Street Fighter.

Laliluleilo said:

November 15th, 7:33 am

They were not in the “alpha” games – they were in the “EX” games. The “Alpha” or “Zero” series refers to the prequel Street FIghter (Capcom) games that take place in the Street FIghter canon timeline before the events of Street Fighter 2, but after Fighting Street/Street Fighter (The first game).
    Arika owns the characters OTHER than the ones that show up in all of the other Street Fighter games, like Skullomania, Alan Snyder, Kairi, Garuda, D.Dark, Hokuto, Darun Meister, Pullum, etc..

AriesWarlock said:

November 15th, 6:05 am

Interested in trying this, the gougi system sounds cool. Thanks for the beta!

SYRAPH said:

November 15th, 6:37 am

Super fan of the EX games here so this getting announced earlier this year was like a dream come true. The Gougi system definitely seems interesting, but I do hope there are ways to disable it altogether for local versus matches and custom online matches.

Throwing all this stuff in there makes things overwhelming sometimes, would be nice to have a simpler option as well for folks who want to jump right into a fight.

Asshawk said:

November 15th, 6:52 am

I can’t wait. This is easily the game I’m most looking forward too! Hope we see some fighting layer characters get added to the roster but regardless I’m glad to see Arika making another fighting game again!

Xcaligamer1 said:

November 15th, 7:11 am

I’m so in!

deezyfesheezy said:

November 15th, 7:22 am

I’ll propably sound dumb for asking this, but is it an open beta? It’s never stated in the article whether its open or closed.

Also, when D. Dark and Cracker Jack?

NeoStrayCat said:

November 15th, 10:05 am

D. Dark is in, though as a teaser a while back, but C.Jack hasn’t yet, but probably/eventually.

tusunami said:

November 15th, 7:56 am

deezyfeheezy, the beta seems to be for PS Plus members then later it will be an open beta for everyone. That’s how it normally goes for all games there are always 2-3 betas. But I figure at PSX experience we will find out more and also on the PS Blog leading up to when this beta starts.

wzat15 said:

November 15th, 7:59 am

The game looks Awesome but “Fighting Ex Layer ” is a mouthful of a title. Anyways I’m pumped to try out the beta in DECEMBER!!

BADCP said:

November 15th, 6:34 pm

The title would be much simpler and flow off the tongue easier if Capcom would just make it into a new Street Fighter EX with them, but they’re more concerned with putting out HD re-releases than making new games.

If you miss Street Fighter EX, or the nostalgia of the PS1 days when Capcom actually made new games, then be sure to tell Capcom how you feel…

THE_ENDGAME_BOSS said:

November 15th, 10:26 am

Thank you for for this miracle of a game guys!! I thought the series was done but now I’ll have this day one!!!!

Blair Dame and Pullam next please! Also bring back the other Fighting Layer Characters too

Zookey said:

November 15th, 10:37 am

Akira-san!!!!!

So excited to play this at PSX! Your PS1/PS2 era EX games (along with Battle Arena Toshinden and Bloody Roar) were a huge part of my childhood!! So much so that my friends and I started an indie studio to make our own 90’s style 3D fighter, so when I saw you were bringing Garuda, Skullomania and the crew back I was screaming for joy haha!

Now, it’s going to be hard to decide which game to play first at PSX, Fighting EX Layer or Dreams!! Man, this year is going to rock!!

Akira Nishitani's Avatar

Akira Nishitani said:

November 16th, 9:07 pm

I will try to make various characters out!

viceforce said:

November 15th, 11:39 am

That Skullo is based off Kamen Rider Ichigo and Niigo isn’t it lol

arnoldmcguire335 said:

November 15th, 8:14 pm

That is correct, but it is based off of the double riders + The Skull Man (A manga made from the same guy who made Kamen Rider, Shotaro Ishinomori).

Jotamide said:

November 15th, 2:47 pm

Really looking forward to this!

roxashunter2 said:

November 15th, 6:08 pm

Has the price been decided yet, and i’m wonder if there will be a free to play version like doa where it’s free but you buy the characters you wanna play

Akira Nishitani's Avatar

Akira Nishitani said:

November 16th, 9:10 pm

Price is yet to be determined.

chronoss09 said:

November 15th, 6:10 pm

J’attends patiemment ce jeu, il a bercé mon enfance sur la PSX :)

BADCP said:

November 15th, 6:23 pm

Been waiting for this for years. The graphics look great, and I’m so excited to see they are using Unreal Engine 4! Allen looks boss! Can’t wait to see Blair and D. Dark. “Exprosib!”

Will absolutely buy; day one pre-order!

Was one of the translators in the YouTube debut of this game, and these are cool dudes doing this game out of their love of games. They deserve every penny from my purchase of this game at full price ($59.99).

Capcom would be smart to jump in NOW and make this into a Street Fighter EX game with them before its release, but they’re more focused on 3DS and re-releases of games that have been re-released countless times before…

Akira Nishitani's Avatar

Akira Nishitani said:

November 16th, 9:12 pm

Thank you very much !!!
    “Exprosib” ! !

cenn9999 said:

November 15th, 11:00 pm

This announcement makes me so happy!
I understand there’s probably some issues so you can’t continue to use the SF name,
but I’m just happy to see all these characters again.

Looking forward to giving you guys my money!

Apostrophe said:

November 16th, 7:00 pm

Add Blair Dame to the roster and I’m totally up for this. :)

KodoBreaker said:

November 16th, 11:10 pm

I still play the EX series and it is still better than any other fighting game, really great to see all these characters again.
Can’t wait for this new game to be released.

werewolfgold said:

November 17th, 3:28 am

Fighting EX Layer? Not “lair”, but “layer”?

DUCK_L-O-D said:

November 17th, 9:27 am

I Think it’s amazing that finally a new EX title will be coming out soon. I wish there was a way i could contribute to the games soundtrack and send in music, but nevertheless this is an exciting time.

D-Squad3 said:

November 17th, 4:42 pm

Can’t wait for the beta!

Akira Nishitani's Avatar

Akira Nishitani said:

November 17th, 7:24 pm

The beta test is open.
Anyone can play it as a PSN user in the holding area.
However, only online members can play with PSN + members.
Please pardon.

Jackal888 said:

November 18th, 4:06 pm

EX is one of my favorite games on PS1. I imported a Japan PS1 just to play it. I hope to see D.Dark and Pullum! I will be playing this Beta!

xxnike629xx said:

November 19th, 7:49 pm

Maybe it’s just me, but I really think this is a beta that will (hopefully) end up as a new Street Fighter EX game.
It’s crazy to think that Street Fighter EX 3, the newest in the series, came out on the PlayStation 2 in 2000. It’s been 17 years.
Yikes! That makes me feel old. LOL
Anyway, who else thinks it would be nice if this was a new Street Fighter EX game?

Ivanhacius said:

December 6th, 3:10 am

This is great news. I was addicted to street fighter ex plus alpha on the ps1 back in the day. How can I try the beta? Thanks!

Blitz_Kid_48 said:

December 10th, 2:27 pm

What time does the Beta start at?

Shinjojin said:

December 10th, 9:31 pm

I’ll definitely be looking forward to the beta of this game!! :D