Knack 2

Dec 09

Dec 09

Shadow of the Colossus: PS4 Pro Enhancements, Special Edition Revealed

See how the legendary title has evolved from PS2 to PS3 to PS4. Out February 6.

Yasutaka Asakura's Avatar Posted by Executive Producer, JAPAN Studio

Though we have repeatedly confirmed that Shadow of the Colossus on PS4 is a full, ground up remake of the all-time classic, it is a fact that is harder to communicate via text or stills. To make it more clear, we have created a comparison video, which you can watch above, that shows the amount of work that has gone into this project to fully leverage the horsepower of modern gaming consoles.

Shadow of the Colossus on PS4

Shadow of the Colossus on PS4Shadow of the Colossus on PS4

For the first time, we are also happy to confirm that PlayStation 4 Pro users will benefit from two play options:

• Cinematic, which emphasizes image quality, and for owners of compatible 4K HDR displays, boasts a beautiful dynamic 4K image targeting 30 fps
  • Performance, which delivers an extremely fluid frame rate targeting 60 fps

Shadow of the Colossus has never looked this good, or moved with this much fluidity. To give you more information about the PS4 Pro enhancements, check out this video feature:

Lastly, we are also proud to reveal a Special Edition release, which will include the following bonus items: Steelbook Collector’s Case with outer sleeve, Artist Postcards, Printed Manual, In-game Digital Extras (Ancient Bow, Cloak of Fate, “Spotted Steed” Agro skin), Two Custom PS4 Themes, Colossi Avatar Set for PS4, Physical World Map, and Colossi Stickers.

Shadow of the Colossus: Special Edition

Shadow of the Colossus is as much a prized part of our library as we hope it is yours, and so we wanted to make something special for you, its fans. The Special Edition will also be available on February 6th with an MSRP of $49.99.

Add Your Own

tom110584 said:

December 9th, 5:14 am

Bluepoint Games is an exceptional developer with extreme quality targets – I really appreciate their technical achievements and pedigree (not surprising considering they have some of the key people behind Metroid Prime). Just look at what they achieved with the Uncharted Collection and compare it to a lot of other remasters/remakes. This project is in safe hands and I can’t wait to see what the studio does next (Demon’s Souls remake perhaps?). I’m thrilled to hear that PS4 Pro owners can play this game at a higher frame rate – choice is always a great thing!(-:

noahrjb said:

December 9th, 5:29 am

Xbox One X could probably handle 4K-HRD at 60 fps… just sayin’…

eortizm_90 said:

December 9th, 5:47 am

I’m pretty sure this game will look great in Xbox, via YouTube ;)

ge0smash said:

December 9th, 5:49 am

I’m pretty sure it can’t handle exclusives thought. just sayin’…

moe88berlin said:

December 9th, 6:00 am

“ One thing is proved for certain, it’s incredibly difficult for games to run 4K at 60 FPS. As a consequence, we’re likely to see graphically demanding games use dynamic resolution or checkboarding techniques to achieve higher resolutions, as is the case with the PlayStation 4 Pro. Not every game will run full native 4K, and fewer games will do so at 60 FPS.“

Not according to Digitial Foundry, you know,the actual experts, and not those who like to make up imaginary stuff.

HiRADIOTOXIC said:

December 9th, 6:13 am

That time your trolling is so low-level it doesn’t even make any sense…

MEENDOGG said:

December 9th, 6:17 am

If they were aiming for 4K 60fps then they could here too. If you read, this was made from the ground up, not a port. Quantum Break isn’t 4K 60 on the X Box One X and that’s an exclusive as well

SegaSaturn617 said:

December 9th, 6:19 am

4K 60fps highly doubtful but I’m sure it’ll be close to 4K. It’ll def do better performance than the Pro for sure.

phinnv8 said:

December 9th, 12:00 pm

Cool story but the One X has a garbage CPU it has PUBG locked at 30fps when Core i5 PCs run it at 100fps.

THX1138 said:

December 9th, 3:09 pm

PS4 Pro 4k resolution? 1440p I guess. Dynamic 4k*…true 4K is 2160p.

SegaSaturn617 said:

December 9th, 6:17 am

Going with the 60FPS option. Smoother gameplay is a must on these potato consoles.

lehos said:

December 9th, 8:46 am

Yep your right, doubtful standard PS4 has a 720p/900p 60fps option. *sigh*
    Not getting my hopes up though, all these consoles use a worse than $50 CPU. :-(

Sarges24 said:

December 14th, 9:18 pm

I’ll take Cinematic mode. 30 FPS is more than adequate for this game. It is nice that Pro gives users options though. Personally 30 FPS works for me with a TON of games. Others, yeah I’d prefer or want them running 60.

mschulze00 said:

December 9th, 6:41 am

no soundtrack for the special edition? the game has amazing music, the SE should have included the OST, c’mon guys!

Arn_1 said:

December 9th, 3:02 pm

100 percent agreed. I would’ve paid $80 – $100 for a “complete” edition.I already owned the soundtrack, but had to order it from Play-Asia.

BlaqMagiq24 said:

December 9th, 6:45 am

When it this going up on Best Buy? I wanna preorder ASAP. I need that Special Edition in my life.

MisaoHime said:

December 9th, 6:46 am

Now the big question…my money is ready…WHERE can i Preorder?! <3

worldhayes said:

December 9th, 7:17 am

I really hope PlayStation want give up on PlayStationVR when they bring PS5 , at least make it compatibility , seriously what more else can they do games are not looking better only the r resolution of your system or your TV other than that every game is starting to look the same.
My top PSVR GAMING
RIGS MECHANICAL COMBAT LEAGUE
EVE VALKYRIE
DRIVECLUB VR
FARFOINT…
Hopefully we can forever see updates from these games years to come

Droogie4Ever said:

December 9th, 8:01 am

Ok so pre-order now really means, sometime in the future when the pre-order goes live. Because I can’t find this special edition anywhere.

nanomachines said:

December 9th, 8:20 am

The 4k screen gallery is still marked as private on Flickr.

Avalanche said:

December 9th, 8:23 am

Prayers for a special edition have been answered!

Was really hoping for a crazy $500 version with a statue….but ill take this too

MATTKBAN said:

December 9th, 8:29 am

A gift to me for my birthday. Already pre-ordered and will take an extra day or two off work to replay this a bunch more. 8)

ASHKAN_jvd said:

December 9th, 8:41 am

‘Wonder’ in the original game had some hair physics. I hope Bluepoint Games add hair physics in the remake.

anszbd1 said:

December 9th, 8:47 am

I want the special edition but the digital version is more convenient. I think I gonna buy the digital version and the artbook in amazon if sony release it (like horizon zd).

SasukeUchihaDono said:

December 9th, 10:15 am

The special edition will also come out all over europe?

anszbd1 said:

December 9th, 8:44 pm

Now that I think about it, it’s better to buy the special edition first and buy the digital later when its discounted.

BlaqMagiq24 said:

December 9th, 11:18 am

Also remaster ICO so the whole Team Ico series is playable on PS4

cusman said:

December 10th, 2:19 pm

That would be nice. I wonder if they will also give PSVR support like they are adding for The Last Guardian.

LonerATO said:

December 9th, 11:50 am

Can we expect a/the Special Edition to come out on digital release in which the digital items would be available?

jukins said:

December 9th, 1:23 pm

Gotta just say can’t wait for this game. But blueprint those guys are amazing. Would love to see them get a crack at their own ip

bionicjim said:

December 9th, 1:50 pm

I remember playing this in 16X9 on my PS2. Sure enough, wikipedia confirms it was always a 16X9 game so this video is a bit misleading.

KAPADO said:

December 9th, 1:56 pm

Very excited for this remake… It’s looking amazing!

PYTHON101 said:

December 9th, 1:59 pm

Definitely got my money but we need a Legacy of Kain Blood Omen and Soul Reaver remake like this.

Globalisateur said:

December 9th, 2:30 pm

Hi. What kind of better image quality in the cinematic mode for full HD TVs owners ?

Yasutaka Asakura's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

December 9th, 5:20 pm

Hi, quick note from the dev team re: PS4 Pro support on 1080p TVs:

“Without a 4K TV, PS4 Pro users running in cinematic mode will get a native 1080p display that is generated from a render target of 1440p. This results in a smoother image with less aliasing artifacts.”

Hope that helps. The game is beautiful!

Vashetti said:

December 10th, 10:48 am

Thank you for confirming downsampling.

Would appreciate if us 1080p display Pro owners could at some point get an official answer from Sony/PlayStation as to why certain Pro-enabled games lock out 1080p display owners from downsampling, only providing benefits to 4K displays:

TomatoDragon said:

December 9th, 4:56 pm

I cannot wait. This trilogy is one of my all time favorites. Wonder if BluePoint will give the same treatment to Ico.

cusman said:

December 10th, 2:17 pm

I hope so. Some decisions makes might think Shadow of Colossus is why people bought the Ico / Shadow of Colossus HD port collection on PS3 but for me it was both of those games. Hopefully actual player data that Sony has from Trophy data shows that both games were equally popular or at least that Ico was also popular and should get the re-make treatment that Shadow of Colossus is getting for PS4.

Horadrius said:

December 9th, 8:30 pm

I really, truly hope they are able to fix the climbing issues which were present in the 2011 HD remaster for PS3. The smoother texture and frame rate made climbing and stabbing certain colossi extremely difficult, especially in Time Attack mode. In an article for Gamesradar on May 5, Bluepoint acknowledges the climbing issues, and did create a patch, but declined to release the patch.

chriz74 said:

December 10th, 12:56 am

what climbing issues?

Matheus1406-BR said:

December 10th, 11:38 am

And physical of the game

steevoeevo said:

December 9th, 8:58 pm

Looks phenomenal, I can’t wait to get this!!

SigmaSpartan said:

December 9th, 9:28 pm

So excited for this re-release.

Dragonsmana said:

December 10th, 12:25 am

Does pre-ordering this version also get you the “Life Sword” DLC? And where can I pre-order this, can’t find any retailers for it yet lol.
Can’t wait to play it!

chriz74 said:

December 10th, 12:51 am

What about regular ps4? it has HDR too, so how will the game behave? Please don’t tell me we need a ps4 pro just for the sake of HDR as I’m going to sell all my sony assets right away. #fedup

cusman said:

December 10th, 2:15 pm

You do not need a PS4 Pro for HDR.

Use your launch PS4 and a HDMI cable compatible with HDR and a HDR compatible TV and the option to enable HDR becomes available. The PS4 Pro just does a better job on framerates and can offer higher resolution for some games. HDR is common to both launch PS4 and the PS4 Pro.

chriz74 said:

December 13th, 12:43 am

I know PS4 has HDR. Can’t you read my post? What I am asking here is if the devs will allow HDR on the reg PS4 as they are only saying these features will be available on PS4 Pro. Do you get that?

cusman said:

December 15th, 11:10 am

Can’t you read my post or you just like responding with rudeness?

There are no PS4 games that support HDR that only support HDR on PS4 Pro. Now read what I wrote originally again if you are finding otherwise (use compatible TV, HDMI cable, switch / receiver, and PSVR).

Note: If you have 1st generation PSVR, HDR pass-through is not supported. If you have 2nd generation PSVR, HDR pass-through is supported. Again, whether you have PS4 or PS4 Pro is irrelevant and any game that supports HDR, supports that for both.

chriz74 said:

December 16th, 1:31 am

Yes I can read your post. I don’t need to know from you if PS4 supports HDR or not in general as we all know that. I need to know if the game will use HDR on non pro PS4 and the article is silent on this issue. While you may be wishful thinking that it does we don’t know and Sony isn’t telling. Not in this blog post. So did you get the info from another source? Because if not your are only speculating.

FPFALL said:

December 10th, 8:35 am

Okay, so this was announced Friday. Where are the preorders?

lncorruptible said:

December 10th, 8:49 am

I don’t see this on amazon :/

Matheus1406-BR said:

December 10th, 11:35 am

Where’s the soundtrack of the game?

cusman said:

December 10th, 2:13 pm

I only see the regular edition available for Pre-Order. I don’t mind paying $10 more for the Collector. Any idea which retailers will be having it?

ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

December 10th, 2:58 pm

Will this come to the PS5 too? Im waiting for that version.

Kedaro said:

December 10th, 11:40 pm

I thought the horses name was Argo not agro

myshenshen said:

December 11th, 2:53 am

So where is the special edition’s preorder?

noneall said:

December 11th, 3:55 am

Hi! Is this gonna have any new content or just look prettier?

Aero_Guardian17 said:

December 11th, 11:14 am

I am SO GETTING THIS! I wish it had the soundtrack though… When will the pre-orders become available?

fatherKratos said:

December 11th, 11:56 am

I have the same question asked by many here. Where or when can I pre-order the special edition?

Aero_Guardian17 said:

December 11th, 3:49 pm

The Amazon pre-order is now LIVE!

JULIA_07 said:

December 11th, 5:01 pm

Why can’t we pre order it yet!!

Demonic_196 said:

December 11th, 5:05 pm

^why would you say it’s live man, had me fooled! but you can sign up for the email for when it goes live https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0781VST1X

paulogy said:

December 11th, 5:15 pm

I can’t wait to play SotC all over again – it’s amazing to see all that Bluepoint has done bringing this back to life on PS4 :-)

GuruGrass said:

December 11th, 6:21 pm

While I like the Special Edition, I was really hoping for a big Collector’s Edition. I would easily pay $100 for something like the Last Guardian CE that had a statue (imagine a statue of a colossus!). More importantly, I NEED this OST on vinyl. I’ve been hoping and waiting for YEARS to see a pressing of the souundtrack come out for this. Please Sony, I’ll throw my money at you. I know there’s plenty of other of fans that have been waiting for this too. This game has one of the most memorable and amazing soundtracks in all of video games. Please, make this happen!

SliK6SiK said:

December 13th, 1:13 pm

So would I. I don’t understand how a classic like this doesn’t get a statue and a physical soundtrack. Do it like Ni No Kuni 2 and add another tier of a true CE please.

Demonic_196 said:

December 11th, 7:20 pm

PRE ORDER IT AT GAMESTOP FAM

JULIA_07 said:

December 12th, 6:06 am

It’s not available in Canada yet!!?

chriz74 said:

December 13th, 12:46 am

Wait a minute! Does this imply the reg edition won’t turn on HDR? What about the regular PS4? It has HDR so will the game use it? And which version? Both? Special? None?

georgepell69 said:

December 14th, 9:24 am

Genuinely curious, will there be an Australian release of the special edition???

AnabolicLocust said:

December 14th, 4:41 pm

Hmmmm where’s that UK pre-order? This is US only by any chance? I sure hope not. It would break me as Amazon US won’t be able to ship to my address. This needs to be addressed immediately as I’m literally panicking.

ThaGamerDon said:

December 20th, 11:58 am

It is not available in Canada, will there be a date when the special edition is ready for pre-order in canada?

tDwtp said:

January 1st, 10:01 pm

Who lives outside USA and is not getting a Special Edition?
Reply with your Country :P

tDwtp said:

January 1st, 10:01 pm

Germany…

ThaGamerDon said:

January 7th, 3:22 pm

Canada (Quebec, Montreal) and few canadian have special edition pre ordered….

AnabolicLocust said:

January 7th, 4:10 pm

UK. Less than a month away for the release. I hope they’ll release it in other countries soon.