PlayStation VR

Jan 26

Jan 26

The Drop: New PlayStation Games for 1/30/2018

Light and darkness clash again in Dissidia Final Fantasy NT on PS4.

Ryan Clements's Avatar Posted by Senior Specialist, SIEA Social Media

Storied heroes and devious villians from across the Final Fantasy universe converge once more in a gorgeous, team-based brawler. Welcome to Dissidia Final Fantasy NT on PS4.

Following in the footsteps of the original PSP fighter-RPG hybrids, Dissidia Final Fantasy NT celebrates the iconic characters of the franchise with spectacular battles. Wield blades, magic, and the summons themselves as you work to build your characters bravery and trounce the enemy. Tailored to the PS4, Dissidia Final Fantasy NT takes the fighting spin-off to new heights.

For a full list of new games coming to PlayStation next week, read on. And enjoy the Drop!

The Drop

New Releases: Week of January 30, 2018
PS4 — Digital

Briks 2

Briks 2 is a classic retro arcade game with all new animated characters, new animated backgrounds, exciting new boss monsters, power-ups, and custom music. Collect bonuses and power your way through more than 100 new levels.

PS VR — Digital

Cold Iron

There’s a new sheriff in town. Every enemy is unique, every duel is different, and every bullet counts. Cold Iron is a new genre for a new medium. Experience it exclusively in virtual reality.

PS4 — Digital, Retail

Dissidia Final Fantasy NT

Choose from more than 20 legendary Final Fantasy characters and battle in a unique three-on-three arena. Call forth familiar summons like Ifrit, Shiva, and Odin to dominate the opposing side or to turn the tide of the battle in each match.

PS4 — Digital, Retail (Out 2/2)

EA Sports UFC 3

EA Sports UFC 3 revolutionizes authentic fighting movement with Real Player Motion Tech, a new animation technology that delivers the most responsive and authentic athletic motion in sports gaming.

PS4 — Digital

Feral Fury

Long after humankind perished in the flames of the oil wars, the great panda empire is expanding throughout the galaxy as the new dominant power. With the old world in ashes and an endless need for bamboo, entire planets are turned into plantations, and the flames of war are lit once again.

PS4 — Digital (Out 1/31)

Frutakia 2

Frutakia is back and better than ever! Match three or more cute animals and level up! Go ahead and move any row up or down. We dare you to discover its ultra-addictive gameplay.

PS4 — Digital (Out 2/2)

Nightmares from the Deep 3

Play the final chapter of the fantastic pirate trilogy! Davy Jones and his undead crew appear once again to kidnap the museum custodian Sarah Black and force her daughter Cory to sign a dark pact. In order to save Cory, Sarah will travel through mysterious locations, solve plenty of puzzles, and learn the truth about the ghost of a beautiful young girl who roams Davy Jones’ island.

PS VR — Digital

Out of Ammo

Out of Ammo is an intense virtual reality strategy game for PS VR that puts you in the commander’s seat against wave after wave of soldiers.

PS4 — Digital

Pierhead Arcade

Play classic coin-operated games. Compete on global leaderboards! Get digital toys at the gift shop using tickets you’ve won.

PS4 — Digital, Retail

Railway Empire

Exploit the economic opportunities of the United States in an extensive campaign, working your way step by step from coast to coast across this great continent.

Restless Spirit
PS4 — Digital (Out 2/1)

Restless Spirit

The spirit of a girl appears in front of a father whose daughter is lost. This man, filled with grief in his heart follows the guidance of the spirit, wandering ever deeper into the forest. Why has she shown herself? What is her purpose? The truth lies in the abyss of the forest.

PS4 — Digital

Strikers Edge

Strikers Edge is a medieval dodgeball with weapons, ancient warriors, and special powers. Challenge your opponents in online and local multiplayer, ascend to the top of the ladder and become the best striker!

PS Vita — Digital

Time Recoil

Time Recoil is a top-down shooter where you kill to slow time, experience amazing slow motion gunfights, and trigger spectacular special moves.

PS4 — Digital

Wulverblade

Help Britannia defeat the Romans in Wulverblade — a hardcore side-scrolling beat ’em up inspired by classics such as Golden Axe, Sengoku, and Knights of the Round!

PlayStation Music Logo

PlayStation Video Logo

Tyler Perry's Boo 2! A Madea Halloween
Tyler Perry’s Boo 2! A Madea Halloween
Roman J. Israel, Esq.
Roman J. Israel, Esq.
Wonder
Wonder

PlayStation Vue Logo

• May It Last: A Portrait of the Avett Brothers- January 29 at 8/7c (HBO)
  • Big Papi Needs a Job- January 31 at 8/7c (Fusion)
  • 30 for 30: The Two Bills- February 1 at 9/8c (ESPN)

The information above is subject to change without notice.

Add Your Own

gohan16ken said:

January 26th, 2:36 pm

Dear Sony,

In light of the hack that showed the PS4 playing PS2 games natively, please allow those who bought PS2 games on the PS3 to play them on PS4 at NO additional cost. I do not care about trophies. Thank you!

P.s. if you need to charge, I will accept a $5 upgrade fee per game similar to what Nintendo did on the VC from the Wii to the Wii U

dkarlowicz10 said:

January 26th, 4:01 pm

I got rid of my PS2 and PS2 games a long time ago. I would rather have more PS2 digital games.

gohan16ken said:

January 26th, 4:30 pm

Isn’t that what I am referring to? I did say PS2 games bought on PS3 :)

pablikenemy79 said:

January 26th, 11:25 pm

Ahaha Sony is not Microsoft or Nintendo, you have to Pay, even if you already own those games on Ps3 Sony will never let you play on Ps4 for Free….. And
    Remember
    “This is for the players”

Tatanka2007 said:

January 27th, 11:51 am

@gohan16ken, I agree with you in principle, but do you realize that putting requests out here is pointless?

As for what’s strictly relevant I look at the Drop to see what’s incoming. Not that I find it useful since you have to look elsewhere for any real info. Can’t say that I look for sales blogs anymore since they canned that last year. Now they don’t even bother to blog special deals since they are mostly lame.

MakaiOokami said:

January 28th, 10:25 pm

There are roughly 13-15 games (I posted the 13 games as a response a little lower on the next comments.) that have been $5 or cheaper at some point that are also PS3 titles. All the other PS2 on PS4 titles either weren’t on PS3, or were cheaper than $5 at some point. So I really have to ask, why is this a big deal? Is 13 games (most of which have dropped to $6 at some point) really that big a deal?

GaMeR_bOi_83 said:

January 26th, 2:46 pm

I wouldn’t mind paying $5. To be honest that’s a fair fee.

MakaiOokami said:

January 28th, 10:22 pm

It’s not up to Sony though. If they force people developers to offer a $5 upgrade, companies might just decide it’s not worth the effort.

So here’s what I just did. I just went through the PS2 on PS4 library list on the PSN store, then went to PS Prices website, to find out what has been the lowest price. I typed in like 50 game names to come up with this list of games that were on the PS3, and also on the PS4.

Harvest Moon Save the Homeland($7.49), Harvest Moon Wonderful Life($7.49), Red Faction (lowest price $3), Jak Daxter, Jak 2, Jak 3, The Warriors($7.49), Siren ($4), Psychonauts($2.49), Primal ($4), Max Payne ($6), Bully $6, Manhunt $6, Puzzle Quest $2.49, StarWars Bounty Hunter ($3), Jedi starfighter $5, Racer Revenge ($3), Grand Theft Auto Trilogy is on sale for $17.49 as we speak, so like $6 a game, Mark of Kri $5, Twisted Metal Black $2.49, War of the Monsters $3.49

RE: Code Veronica X, is a game that is more expensive on PS3 than the price on PS4. Weird outlier.

So basically just wait for a sale?

Kishnabe said:

January 26th, 3:05 pm

There most likely a licensing issue for PS2 games to play on PS4. They did not account for these digitals games to be played on that system.

Just like plenty of PSP and PS1 games can’t be directly downloaded to PSVITA. There are exceptions.

Boy_Georgetown said:

January 26th, 5:29 pm

Well, I hope they’ve worked out the licensing going forward because if my PS4 games don’t work on PS5, I’m switching over to Xbox, (who appears to be fully embracing backwards compatible) which is not what I want to do. But seriously, my backlog is legit and I’m not buying another system that makes me shelve them or keep everything hooked up. I still have my PS3 hooked up next to my PS4.

MakaiOokami said:

January 28th, 10:31 pm

I disagree that Xbox is backwards compatible. Putting in a disc, just to get access to a port is not backwards compatibility in my eyes. If i could put in the disc, while offline, install it to my hard drive, and play it like that then yes it would count as backwards compatibility. Now while to the end user, being able to buy a game physically, put it in a newer console, and plays it, might as well be backwards compatibility, all I see is a cheap and dirty port.

Kudos to Microsoft for using a similar architecture, but I’m pretty confident it’d be easier for Sony to patch in Xbox game support than it would be to patch in PS3 game support due to the way architectures work. Maybe I’m wrong, I’m not a developer, but I’ll probably swap over to PC, if the PS5 isn’t boost mode capable for PS4 games.

drinkyscarecrow said:

January 26th, 8:48 pm

Relax! At least when sony does make ps2 games playable they update them and give trophy support and if you wait a couple months they are on a flash sale for 2 to 6 dollars. I dont know if youve tried hooking up your ps2 to your 4k but trust me theres a benefit to getting the new ones. And as someone who has switched from xbox to playstation this gen, wtf are yall complaining about? Better exclusives, better subscriptions, better sales, better hardware and infinetely better customer service. Ps now is great too if youre in a bind and im sure theyll have even better backwards compatability in a future update or ps5. And who would rather play a ps2 fmgame than witcher3 or monter hunter world anyways? Quit complaining and play some games!!!!!!!!!

Tatanka2007 said:

January 27th, 12:15 pm

@drinkyscarecrow, I still love my PS4 Pro (on the verge of level 17 finally), but Xbox is more a champ than a chump. The X1X does put the Pro to shame in terms of power. Game Pass doesn’t have the catalog depth of PS Now, but you do get the full game, not a watered-down version like PS Now. Game Pass also gives you instant access to Microsoft exclusives on day one (only 4 games this year tbh). I can’t agree that Sony has better customer service. Far from it. And Microsoft actually gives out refunds.

That said, I can’t do Dissidia Final Fantasy NT anywhere but PS4. Anyway, the best scenario is where you have a Pro parked next to a X1X with a PS3, PSTV, and 360 on the shelf underneath and a gaming PC with a good i7 and 1080ti for 4k/60fps gaming. I got no love for Nintendo lol.

MakaiOokami said:

January 28th, 10:40 pm

No Xbox is utterly a chump.

Xbox 1 X doesn’t have any exclusives to really show off the power, and very few people have a t.v. good enough that it matters, and even if they did the PS5 is going to put the Xbox 1 X to utter shame, and frankly I just don’t care about 4k. Rather have 3k. Seems like it offers enough quality, without too much overhead.

PS Now is offering the DLC soon. So not watered down. Unless you meant the resolution. At which point… I don’t know what to say you weren’t clear. The PS3 games just won’t run on the PS4 the way Xbox 360 can on the Xbox One, it’d be likely easier for Sony to make Xbox 360 games run on the PS4 than the PS3 games because of the difference in architecture.

I bought a game digitally day 1. It went on sale a week later, I contacted Sony, they gave me a refund. I called Sony to get replacement screws before I swapped out my PS3 hard drive, got them and a replacement case, the screws stripped, but I had what I needed at no charge so no big deal.

Nintendo to me is 1,000 times better than an Xbox to me. I have a switch, and no desire what so ever to own an Xbox.

magicmix13 said:

January 26th, 9:43 pm

Sorry, but what does any of this previous discussion have anything to do with The Drop? Anyway, I am interested in learning more about Restless Spirit, but that’s about it. Thanks.

KBG29 said:

January 27th, 12:23 am

Not much coming next week for me. Good thing we just recieved 10 new cars and 8 new track layouts for Gran Tusimo Sport. Lots of VR driving fun next week.

I will pick up Cold Iron for PSVR, and watch Big Popi Needs A Job on PS Vue.

NekoRave said:

January 27th, 8:22 am

Nice selection of Ps2 games I love getting one game every other month.

Jisatsu_Kiddo said:

January 29th, 4:08 am

If you are that hard up for ps2 games dust off your ps2 and plug it in. if you tossed it, well that’s on you.

Welmosca said:

January 30th, 11:27 pm

@ Jisatsu_Kiddo – I hate how Sony introduced the PS2 games to PS4 like they were gonna support it and I like that people keep pressing them about that but damn what a good reply lol.Its funny people wanting to play games from PS1,PS2 and PS3 when they tossed theirs away.

steevoeevo said:

January 27th, 9:54 am

I was on the fence about Dissidia NT but after playing the recent beta and seeing some additional gameplay videos I bought the preorder. The more I think about it I’m not too sure why I was concerned. It is a Square Enix/Team Ninja collaboration after all, I’m just not fond of games that have the main focus at online battles. Looks like there will be boss battles at the very least so I’m looking forward to seeing everything this game has to offer.

Koyutakota said:

January 28th, 10:43 am

i dont get the complaints about the backwards compatibility. most iv seen are complaints from people who had the previous system but sold it for the new one. next time dont sell your system that you still play games on. i can see the argument price wise from people who never had the previous systems and wanted to play those games but then you also are paying for convenience even tho i do agree the prices are a bit high for older games. there are games i still play on the older gen consoles so that why i keep them. if you cant wait a few extra weeks to save up to buy the newest system and sell the old system that you still play games on just to get the newest one you cant complain about there not being backwards compatibility. you got three viable choices that are 100% proven.

1: wait for the digital games to go on sale.

2. wait for the new console to go on sale.

3. dont sell your old system just save up till you have enough to get the new system (refer back to 2 if you want to save money)

anyway the new system comes out in like what 1 or 2 years. just start saving for it now. then you wont have to worry about backwards compatibility because you’ll still have the last gen console to play on. just saying

MakaiOokami said:

January 28th, 10:52 pm

I would like to have my PS4 purchases boost mode capable. If not, then I might as well just swap to PC. As much as I like PS VR I would like to get a PS5 instead of buying a PS4 pro now, and I would like my VR games to get the performance boost. I bought into PS VR because Sony has been working towards it for a long time. Move was designed to be a VR controller, the VR utilizes move tech, but if I have to buy all my VR games all over again on the PS5 to get the performance boost, I’d rather pass. I’ll just grab a PS4 Pro, and migrate to PC.

I don’t see why they can’t extend the boost mode support from a PS4 to a PS5, and if they don’t do that, then what was the point in a pro to begin with and going to a PC standardized hardware architecture. I like running an older game on newer hardware and seeing a benefit. I’m not going to triple dip games I bought on the PS3, and then bought on the PS4, and I don’t have my PS3 hooked up because the wiring in the house is bad and I can’t have too many things hooked up.

So this would be a deal breaker to me.

xxnike629xx said:

January 28th, 2:03 pm

I think everyone here can agree that Dissidia Final Fantasy NT is what most of us will be buying this coming week.

cusman said:

January 29th, 1:21 am

I am interested in Feral Fury, Time Recoil, and Wulverblade.

violentkiller said:

January 28th, 8:10 pm

I’m curious the release date for railway empire is the 29th, but it’s not being added till the 30th? Or is the release date wrong?

F-Pina said:

January 29th, 7:11 am

Go, go, go, Strikers Edge!!!

Rayderism said:

January 29th, 8:25 am

Sigh….so many weeks in a row where there is nothing I’m interested in. I’m having game purchase withdrawal. I go searching through PSN every few days hoping to spot something I might like, but everything I might want or care about I’ve already purchased long ago. Waiting on something new that I might like, but every week, since a couple weeks before Christmas, there has been nothing that interests me. Sigh.

I’m not saying that any of the last few weeks releases are bad, just not to my taste.

Welmosca said:

January 30th, 11:33 pm

Damn never saw anything like it…by your comment one can assume you have no backlog,in this day and age I don’t see how thats possible for a gamer.I wonder how you play your games.

HeathenFriar said:

January 29th, 6:55 pm

I’m tempted to pick up Dissidia Final Fantasy, but WHY is Tifa not in the game!? She’s a mega-popular character!

Welmosca said:

January 30th, 11:37 pm

I played Dissidia on PSP and liked but gotta say I’ve been ignoring this new Dissidia game…gotta check out some gameplay videos and see how it is since I missed the beta.Am a bit surprised that is already releasing.

And what’s gotten into y’all to have a PS5 in your words so much like that?…I really hope Sony don’t dare to even think on a PS5 release before 2021.After the pro crap they got no credit.