Knack 2

Feb 06

Feb 06

New Features Coming to PS4 in System Software 5.50

Play Time Management, custom wallpapers via USB, enhancements to notifications and the Quick Menu, and more.

Mary Yee's Avatar Posted by Vice President, Marketing, SIE

Update: PS4 System Software Update 5.50 is now available! Update your PS4 system to enjoy the features outlined below.

The beta for the PlayStation 4 system’s next major system software update 5.50 (codenamed KEIJI) rolls out today. If you signed up and were selected for the beta program, you’ll receive an email with instructions on how to download and get started.

Even if you are not in the beta program, we wanted to give you a sneak preview of features you can expect in this update. In 5.50, we’re introducing Play Time Management, Library UI updates, further enhancements to the Quick Menu, and much more.

Play Time Management

We’re introducing Play Time Management, which will allow family managers (and adult family members who are set as guardians) to manage PS4 playtime for child family members on family on PSN. Managing Playtime is easy; go to Settings > Family Management on your PS4, or log into your PlayStation account on your web browser from your PC or smartphone, to check and manage your child’s playtime each day. If needed, the family manager/guardians can apply playtime restrictions to make sure that the child is only playing for a set amount of time or within set playable hours. Notifications on PS4 will be sent to the child during gameplay so that he or she knows when they should save and quit. The family managers/guardians also have the option to add extra game time via their smartphone or PC. In addition, the family manager/guardians can choose whether or not to automatically log the child out of their PS4 once their playtime is over.

PS4 System Software Update 5.50: Play Time ManagmentPS4 System Software Update 5.50: Play Time Managment

PS4 System Software Update 5.50: Play Time Managment

Library UI Updates

‘This PS4’ and Name/Avatar tab

Two new tabs are being added to Library to make it easier for you to see which apps you’ve installed and purchased. The ‘This PS4’ tab lists all the applications that are installed on the PS4 system, and the tab with your name/avatar lists all the apps that you purchased with your PSN ID. This feature also makes it easy to search and find games you’ve already purchased but have not yet installed.

PS4 System Software Update 5.50: Library

PS Plus tab

This update also adds a new PS Plus tab to the Library, which clarifies what games you own from PS Plus’ Monthly Free Games. If your PS Plus membership is expired, a PS Plus icon with a lock will appear next to your game so you’ll know you cannot play the game until you’ve re-subscribed.

PS4 System Software Update 5.50: LibraryPS4 System Software Update 5.50

Hide apps

We’re adding a function that will allow you to hide certain applications under the ‘Purchased’ tab in the Library. In ‘Options,’ you can hide content including betas, trials or demos of games that you probably won’t be going back to.

PS4 System Software Update 5.50: Library

Quick Menu Enhancements

If you ever want to quickly access specific friends in your custom list, you’ll be able to do so via the pulldown menu under the Friends tab in Quick Menu. You can also see who’s currently online.

Whenever you’re listening to music on PS4, you’ll be able to access certain shortcuts from the Quick Menu. If you’re using Spotify on PlayStation Music, the ‘square’ button will serve as the shortcut for volume control. And when you’re on the Media Player or the USB Music Player, ‘triangle’ will work as the shortcut for play or pause, and the ‘square’ button as the volume control.

PS4 System Software Update 5.50: Quick Menu - Music shortcut

Background Music on PS Now

With Background Music on PlayStation Now, you’ll be able to listen to your favorite tracks while streaming a game on PS Now. Just keep in mind that, similar to when playing a game locally on PS4, background music may not always be available.

Notifications Update

This update will give you the ability to delete old notifications for better organization and management. Just go to Notifications and press the ‘triangle’ or ‘Options’ button to open up a menu that will allow you to select a single or multiple notifications you’d like to delete.

PS4 System Software Update 5.50: Notifications

Import Custom Wallpapers via USB

Love customizing your PS4 Home Screen? Well, this new update will give you even more options. You can import your own images to PS4 from a USB stick and set it as your wallpaper. You can also zoom and crop your images so they look perfect on your dashboard. Just go to Settings > Themes > Select Theme > Custom > Select Image > USB Storage Device.

Customize Tournaments Team Pages

Following the 5.50 update, you’ll be able to customize your Tournaments team page with your own team logo or background that you can import from a USB stick. Represent your team by customizing your team page with something unique and original! To set your logo and background, head over to Events > Teams > select your team > Edit Team Profile.

Supersampling Mode on PS4 Pro

PS4 Pro users will see a new ‘supersampling mode’ under Settings, which enables those with HDTVs (i.e., 1080p or less) to enjoy an enhanced visual experience when playing some PS4 games. With supersampling mode, games that render to a higher resolution when connected to a 4K TV will downscale to match the HDTV – allowing PS4 Pro owners to leverage the benefits of an image clarity boost even if they don’t own a 4K TV. Certain games already have ‘supersampling’ benefits as part of their ‘PS4 Pro Enhanced’ feature set, but this new mode can enhance the experience for those games that don’t already have the feature. Because PS4 Pro’s added power and modes benefit different games in different ways, please note that certain games’ image clarity may not improve with this new feature.

Add Your Own

BlueOasis said:

February 6th, 8:55 am

“We’re adding a function that will allow you to hide certain applications under the ‘Purchased’ tab in the Library.”

So, you’re letting us hide things we probably don’t want to hide (the things we’ve purchased ourselves), but still not letting us hide the things we don’t want to see (All of the icons for paid services like Vue under Video). You’re also still not letting us order our own Video section so that we can get directly to the apps we use the most. Brilliant.

Adeacon123 said:

February 21st, 5:32 pm

Agree completely, I finally made a folder to get a lot of that junk out of my way but would prefer to remove them.
    A way to organize the icons in the TV section would be nice as well…

ThugLiife93 said:

February 6th, 8:57 am

What about media player ? it is still not compatible H265? or MKV how we can play UHD movie or else with MediaPlayer minimalist ?

PsYkOsIs83 said:

February 6th, 5:13 pm

Use plex app on the ps4

Adeacon123 said:

February 21st, 5:33 pm

Yes after a few years the media player still does not really play media…it should, shouldn’t it ?

JeRzYzFyNeSt said:

February 6th, 9:06 am

Sony these are not features… these are just updates to the UI and some Fixes. These are boring we shouldn’t have to wait for Spring to get updates like these.
You aren’t implanting any features here Same thing happened with 5.0.
You are making Fixes to the UI and home screen and calling it Features am i the only one that sees what they been doing??
If you want Feature look at the Xbox Updates i call those new features on a Console

JeRzYzFyNeSt said:

February 6th, 9:09 am

Sick Features adding new Tabs for Sorting in my Library tab come on. You can Being these out with your Stability updates.

You only have one Feature on that List and it’s for Parents. “Play Time Management”

xVTx_Tori said:

February 12th, 1:11 am

What Xbox feature update you refer to?

Adeacon123 said:

February 21st, 5:36 pm

exactly – these are nothing and could be brushed under the system stability updates rug.
    Where is full 3D support?
    Where is a fix for the VR drift in Cinematic mode?
    the things we have been asking for since Day One..[?]
    Well here you go, more social media apps and options.
    ugh.

mexicanwarrior62 said:

February 6th, 9:13 am

Great stuff PlayStation!

Hoping we get to add more players into a party & change our PSN usernames in the future like everyone else

Any idea on what time the beta will be rolling out? I’m a beta tester but, still haven’t gotten anything at the moment

Akmaljon said:

February 6th, 9:25 am

FINALLY! Hide App! That’s all I need! Thank you!!

Tesal2005 said:

February 6th, 9:29 am

Some nice editions and improvements

Thank you.

Now we need Backward compatibility for PS1/PS2 and as many as can for PS3 games.

PSnow is ahead of its time and it seems a huge money sink for PlayStation resources not to mention it is not yet launched into many countries . So, please offer backward support.

Changing the name of the ID as paid service just like Xbox ” they offer 1 free time at first” but trust me, many here will not mind paying some 5~10 $$ to do it without waiting for 1 time-free change.

And last, …. bring a Remake/HD collection of Killzone 1/2/3 liberation to PS4. I could many lesser games came into HD/remake a few times. …. Yet Killzone is far more worthy than most of them.

dannymalt said:

February 6th, 9:32 am

I want PS4 to track how many hours I’ve played a game (like Steam does), and be able to see that information.

gaborj said:

February 6th, 9:39 am

I was chosen for the beta but haven’t received any notification yet. Just an email with an avatar voucher code. Let many have also requested, I’d like to see an activity tracker kinda like Nintendo has on their consoles where you can see what, when an for how long you’ve played a title.

Aero_Guardian17 said:

February 6th, 9:45 am

Another crappy update… Can you please just give us what we have been asking for this whole time?

TorqueBone_R said:

February 6th, 9:59 am

So how about the option for account name changes… just track what our old name was?
Even just one. One change option is all I ask. Please?

L337-D4D said:

February 6th, 10:02 am

I am happy with the firmware direction and changes.
I am still annoyed by the fact that daily I have issues with the Sony servers. I attempt to enter the store from the xcross bar or from within a game and it will not load. I have to reconnect every time to get it to come up which will disconnect me from most online games or cause my streaming to abruptly end. Please fix this and maybe I can hope that with actual 4k content you at Sony Entertainment will get all of us IPv6 connections for our Playstations.

faraway25 said:

February 6th, 10:19 am

Yes!!! I can finally hide my pervy games! Hide doax3, hide senran kagura peach beach splash! Hide my secret shames!

Gringo234 said:

February 6th, 10:21 am

What about changing PSN handle?

KwietStorm said:

February 6th, 10:27 am

Been waiting for all of these features for quite some time

-Trophy tracking
-Boost mode using more cores
-Option to turn off “Pro” support
-Game gifting
-Auto trophy sync
-UI customization and pinning
-Trophy and download history organization and sorting
-Stat tracking and PSN leaderboards across games and genres
-Download game updates individually from game installs
-Fix rest mode not updating games and/or not accepting downloads from the web store
-Ability to add video and streaming apps to folders
-Universal LFG and clan advertisement on PSN

lazygirlsinfo said:

February 6th, 10:50 am

Only feature I want is to change my Username !!!

wake up SONY! :)

please. either change my username OR transfer all my stuff to a different account.

I will pay you money!

snakeeyes211 said:

February 6th, 10:59 am

I get depressed every time I sign up for the Beta and don’t get selected it has been more then 4 times already. PS me and my friend sign up every time at the same time he has been selected every single time for each Beta

the_man72 said:

February 6th, 11:29 am

Well if he got selected then you would know that they give you 2 extra codes for friends , just politely ask him for one

The_RacKuhn said:

February 6th, 11:08 am

Personally I feel like we should have an option to name video clips we save so that the folders are more organized. We should also be able to make our own folders for games as well. So for example I would have 2 folders for Rainbow Six: Siege, one would be titled “Ranked Matches” the other would be “Casual Matches” that way I can organize which is which. I also would like to name my clips to know why I saved it.

KBJunior said:

February 6th, 11:13 am

They should bring the Library up top next to notifications communities etc instead of having to scroll all the way over to the right to access games and add it to the quick menu too

dannyman24 said:

February 14th, 5:06 pm

Yeah, I don’t like holding right and going through ALL my games
    PS alphabetise my games and folders PLEASE

kdawg2377 said:

February 6th, 11:19 am

What time on the East Coast will the Beta go live?

K00LS1DE72 said:

February 6th, 11:28 am

I didn’t get my avatar yet, but I got the Beta Voucher this morning, when was the avatar supposed to be sent to me?

the_man72 said:

February 6th, 11:30 am

Are you in the US ? EU don’t get a Beta Avatar just the Firmware voucher unfortunately

K00LS1DE72 said:

February 6th, 11:47 am

I’m in the US, and the voucher only had one code, which was the firmware update and that was it

the_man72 said:

February 6th, 11:56 am

That’s strange you should of the Beta Avatar also it might be in separate email check your spam folder or contact PlayStation on Twitter hope you get it

tom_guyette said:

February 6th, 12:02 pm

And yet we still can’t play CDs and network reliability for share play is questionable (70Gb connection sometimes “not fast enough??)

dannyman24 said:

February 14th, 5:10 pm

I’ve given up on share play ever working

the_man72 said:

February 6th, 12:02 pm

Will we ever get these

– Trophy tracking for all games ( with a way to see the progress or add a live time tracker )
– Quick menu Messaging is much needed
-AutoTrophy sync ( doing it manually very annoying )

Video chat skype or anything that you can implement would be so welcomed
Stats for all games etc..

PS store
Wishlist
PS Deals notification would be welcomed also
gifting

there so much more that needs to be added

asthmatic419 said:

February 6th, 12:06 pm

Some nice little updates. Plus tab in Library is handy. Will be glad to finally get rid of some notifications, along with the hide apps feature to delete demos and betas from the purchases in Library. Thanks Sony.

Would agree with many users here that would like some sort of way to track how much time spent on each game we play. That would be a very welcome addition in the future.

KainDrake said:

February 6th, 12:11 pm

What I want is to be able to download the psp and Vita compatible games to my PS4 so I can transfer them to the Vita (or psp) from the PS4 like I could with the ps3. Certain games can’t be downloaded directly to the Vita, but can be installed when transferred from a PS3.

l0n3w00f said:

February 6th, 1:32 pm

Wolfie_678 said:

February 6th, 12:32 pm

OMG YESSSSSSSSSS

BlaqMagiq24 said:

February 6th, 12:36 pm

Ability to change PSN ID
Store music and pictures to HDD
Ability to delete and organize our download list
Ability to delete trophies regardless of percentage

Armisrael said:

February 6th, 1:01 pm

Awesome!

YiPpYkIyAy85 said:

February 6th, 1:29 pm

Seems like a good update, but how come there’s no ps1 and ps2 disc based backwards compatibility, even being able to transfer ps1 games bought on PS3 over to PS4. Another feature I’d like is to be able to delete trophy lists for games I no longer own. Free rewards when achieving a certain number of platinums.

eNORMousSMASH said:

February 6th, 1:39 pm

How about fixing the bug that prevents people from login into PSN and playing games like rocket League, OverWatch, Monster Hunter World, Etc. First? This has been an ongoing problem for myself and many others please fix this before you move on to some other unnecessary BS.

Kozzer429 said:

February 6th, 1:56 pm

Let sub accounts share video clips. Super stupid we can’t. I’m underage so I can’t make my account the master but I’m older than the 7 year old that owns the master account right now. Atleast make an option for master accounts to determine whether sub accounts can share clips. Please? It’s the only reason why I have a problem being a sub account.

northleaf65 said:

February 6th, 2:01 pm

Dear Sony PlayStation,

Please, Lord please, FIX the problem where themes disappear or “turn off” after 10 minutes of inactivity on the home screen. This has been occurring for years and each firmware update is a letdown because this is never fixed.

Test it for yourself.. let the home screen sit still with no controller input for 10 minutes and the theme will fade off and disappear. This happens on any theme as well. WHY does this happen? Its not tied into the screensaver or controller auto-off settings either.. I’d like to look up to my screen and see my theme, you know? We even pay real money for many of these themes.

Please fix, thanks.

KAGE124 said:

February 6th, 2:13 pm

I have the beta but I did not get the little shield avatar? I downloaded the software update but no shield avatar. My friend has it though :/

KAGE124 said:

February 6th, 2:16 pm

Nevermind i found it

AloAlmighty said:

February 6th, 3:09 pm

A feature that allows me to connect my own bluetooth headset to my PS4 for sound and mic would be amazing. Please and thank you.

xeno3d said:

February 6th, 3:15 pm

So the beta emails have gone out already? Looks like I missed out on this beta as well…… :(

Audioflix said:

February 6th, 3:34 pm

Does anyone know where to look for the supersample feature on the pro?

christ4life7 said:

February 6th, 4:33 pm

Sound and screen do you know how to give feedback

jimosley80 said:

February 6th, 4:15 pm

I do think these are improvements but not entirely what people want, I know that people want to send video clips of something awesome or funny that has happened or be able to save them and put them on their own tab for mobile devices (with the app of course) and show them to friends. Also another great feature to have is even though you have a mic volume I highly would agree if you are able to manage the volumes of the players that are in your party to less inconvenience them and to make it way easier on yourself to turn up or lower voices to hear would be an amazing part for an update.

Tinygamer113 said:

February 6th, 4:27 pm

Please let me change my name

christ4life7 said:

February 6th, 4:30 pm

Its a good update just loved in to the beta can’t figure out how to give feedback I want them to give folders in purchase menu

KongWen said:

February 6th, 4:38 pm

Will the Play Time Management system keep track of total play times for each game/app? It would be really nice to be able to see play time summaries like the 3DS does.

PsYkOsIs83 said:

February 6th, 5:13 pm

Can we get custom avatars uploaded from a usb drive and we can set if it’s visible to everyone, friends, etc?

PsYkOsIs83 said:

February 6th, 5:16 pm

And how about a feature allowing us to stream to Facebook live? Hell even battle.net allows you to do that…I can stream phone games to Facebook live on my Samsung phone..wth man

cmd1013 said:

February 6th, 5:48 pm

Why do i have to rent games on PlayStation now that i bought from the PlayStation store from my ps3? The games i bought digital on ps3 i should be able to play for free on my ps4.

Hydroplant9 said:

February 6th, 6:41 pm

Just checked out the new 5.50 beta. All I can say is thanks Sony!! Love that I can pick my own pictures as my background now awesome. And the clutter clean up works great.

Ozurdin said:

February 6th, 7:13 pm

I’d like to hide apps on TV & Video for the ones I don’t use. And the option to arrange them so Youtube and Crunchyroll aren’t at the bottom under a bunch of ads…

Sgt_0951 said:

February 6th, 7:39 pm

I agree. Its so easy to access VUDU on my Xbox One and even my two PS3s, yet its frustrating to access on my PS4.

m55921122 said:

February 6th, 7:55 pm

Let us send videos on PS Messages.

OgnarPliskin said:

February 6th, 8:07 pm

Could you please add Dyanmic Themes, like the Nintendo 3DS? Being able to see a rotating selection of your themes would be interesting.

Adeacon123 said:

February 21st, 5:45 pm

And / OR VR themes when the headset is on…VR still shots, screen shots, etc in 360.

D-Squad3 said:

February 6th, 8:34 pm

Finally, more ways to customize our wallpapers. Much appreciated!

Tey707 said:

February 6th, 8:41 pm

How about letting us activate 2 ps4’s. If the internet goes out one is bricked until it comes back on. Or how about a weekly license verification instead of constant? It’s bad enough I have to buy a 2nd PS+ just to couch play with my kids. Greedy a holes

KBG29 said:

February 7th, 1:03 am

Just wanted to add one more thing.

Please realize you have a lisence to print money with the PS4. As a share holder I expect you to continue to expand on ways to increase revenue and profits, not only with more units sold, but by adding more ways for people to get the most out of the product they already purchased.

There are many examples in these comments of high dollar features people are begging to be brought to the system. Do not leave this money on the table, and force users to migrate to other platforms. PlayStation 4 has become an incredible platform to access the best gaming software on the market, but it should not stop there. There is potential for PlayStation 4 to be the only home computing platform a person needs. Live up to that potential.

Finally, if your hearts are not in this to create the best platform on the planet, please find people with that drive, and let them take over. There are plenty of highly talented individuals that would be honored to work at PlayStation, and put everything they have into making it everything it can be.

Thanks For Your Time,