Knack 2

Feb 14

Feb 14

Play The Evil Within 2 in First-Person Mode Starting Today

Experience last year's horror hit from a whole new perspective.

Anne Lewis's Avatar Posted by Associate Content Manager, Bethesda

Right after The Evil Within 2 launched, inquisitive fans discovered something: a first-person mode that was limited to a specific part of the game’s story could be (with some finagling) extended to other areas of the game. The community began clamoring for this feature to be officially extended to the rest of the game, and the development team at Tango Gameworks has listened. The entirety of The Evil Within 2 can now be played in first-person via a free update. We spoke to Producer Shinsaku Ohara about the process and challenges of bringing a first-person mode to a third-person game.

What made you decide to get this feature working for the whole game?

We experimented a bit with first-person in the full game, but it was more of an afterthought and a little bit of playing around on our side, since we designed the game in third-person.

Some savvy users figured out a way to activate this mode outside of its intended area, and the reaction to it was pretty positive, so we said, “What the heck. Let’s put it in as a bonus.” A lot of players like playing horror games in first-person, so for those who want to see some of the game’s situations through Sebastian’s eyes, it’s a really neat experience.

What kind of development work goes into implementing an entirely new POV into a finished game? Did you run into any unique challenges?

The Evil Within 2 wasn’t designed as a first-person game, so obviously it was pretty difficult. We like to think of it as a “high-level hack” so we don’t want people to compare this with Doom or anything like that. There were some scenes that just didn’t work, so it jumps back and forth a bit to third-person. But we made sure the game’s an enjoyable experience and hopefully people will enjoy playing in this mode.

Do you have a favorite moment to experience in first-person?

I think exploring Union in first-person makes the scale feel even bigger than it does when you’re in third-person. Also, being able to see our environments and enemies up close allows players to get an even better look at how much effort went into their designs.

Add Your Own

DeRR1ck19 said:

February 14th, 8:17 am

Wow! This is a (literal) game changer!!

GaMeR_bOi_83 said:

February 14th, 8:37 am

You know I’m trying to save money but this isn’t helping hahahaha now I really wanna buy this game.

kratos1984 said:

February 14th, 8:38 am

I already loved this game more than re7, now this makes it official. So glad they’re still supporting it, didn’t sell very well which is a huge shame. Fingers crossed for story DLC.

whereymyconary said:

February 14th, 8:39 am

Curious, now VR Mode and your all set.

mnep99 said:

February 14th, 11:42 am

VR would be very interesting, but I guess Bethesda would rather release a full price VR port (I’m looking at you, Skyrim VR).

cusman said:

February 14th, 9:28 am

This game looks so creepy and disturbing. One of these days I will get the time and courage to play this series.

THE-PLASTICA-MAN said:

February 14th, 9:28 am

I wished they would go for something higher like 1440p or 1800p checkerboard. The PS4 Pro is perfectly capable of this.I also hoped that they would offer the pre-order bonuses for both the first game and second game on PS4 and all platforms. Strangely they offer the pre-order stuff for free only for the PS3 version of the first game.I hope Prey will next to be fixed and Doom gets PS4 Pro support.

BlueBl1zzard said:

February 14th, 9:47 am

Whoa that’s really neat! Kudos to Tango Gameworks for taking taking the time to go back and add this. And for free no less!

I picked this up over Black Friday and have yet to start it up, but now I really need to. Think I’m going to do 3rd person on the first playthrough and then go back and play 1st person.

paulogy said:

February 14th, 1:13 pm

This is pretty cool thing to do post-launch. I can’t think of the last time something like this was done officially.

loserbrown said:

February 14th, 8:56 pm

Yawn

dblbees said:

February 15th, 4:37 am

Haha a real game changer for sure my wallet is soo mad at me I am also trying to save money but ended up buying collussus and monster hunter now I need this game too.

TranquilitysEdge said:

February 15th, 5:44 am

I would love to see some new DLC for this game. I really quite enjoyed The Evil WIthin 1’s Extra story content, but having something like this is pretty rad.

Nellipooh54 said:

February 15th, 7:35 am

Really hope they add DLC’s…I wanna know what happened to Joseph