PlayStation VR

Feb 28

Feb 28

Horizon Zero Dawn Celebrates its First Birthday, Surpasses 7.6 Million Sales

Guerrilla celebrates with massive PlayStation Store discounts, free avatars and a new PS4 theme.

Victor Zuylen's Avatar Posted by Editor, Killzone Community

It’s hard to believe that a full year has passed since we released Horizon Zero Dawn. The old adage “time flies when you’re having fun” certainly rings true for us – these last 12 months have been an absolute blast, thanks in no small part to the terrific response from our fan community.

Horizon Zero Dawn

And yet, so much has happened that the actual launch of Horizon Zero Dawn sometimes feels like a distant memory. The positive critical reception; the explosive rise of fan artists, cosplayers and Photo Mode experts; the rollout of patches containing new functionality; the release of The Frozen Wilds and the Complete Edition; the various awards and honors bestowed on Horizon Zero Dawn and its creators. All of these occurred in such rapid succession that we’re still trying to wrap our heads around them.

The latest news to reach us is that Horizon Zero Dawn has sold more than 7.6 million copies worldwide, making it the best-selling new first-party franchise launch on PlayStation 4 as of February 28. To quote Guerrilla’s co-founder and managing director, Hermen Hulst:

“We had huge ambition for Horizon Zero Dawn and as we approached the launch we knew people were excited, but to see sales of this volume is truly mind blowing. Since launch, millions of players have joined Aloy on a quest to discover the secrets of the old ones. We hope they enjoy playing Horizon Zero Dawn as much as we enjoyed making it.”

To which we can only add: thank you, dear fans. The past year ranks as one of the greatest in our studio’s 18-year history, and your unwavering devotion to and evangelism for Horizon Zero Dawn helped make that happen.

Obviously, we can’t let a milestone like this go by uncelebrated. We have several things planned for the coming week that we hope you’ll enjoy, including (but not limited to):

Horizon Zero Dawn Anniversary Avatars

Free Horizon Zero Dawn PS4 avatar bundle and Photo Mode theme

Available tomorrow as free downloads from PlayStation Store, we’ve created a bundle of PS4 avatars of all your favorite Horizon Zero Dawn characters, as well as a PS4 theme containing some of the most stunning fan-made Photo Mode snaps out there.

‘Inventing Instruments for Horizon Zero Dawn’ Video

The Horizon Zero Dawn score continues to garner accolades, most recently winning Best Main Theme in the VGMO Annual Game Music Awards. But there’s more to the soundtrack than mood music, as music supervisor Lucas van Tol explains in this behind-the-scenes look at the creation of Horizon Zero Dawn’s in-world (or ‘diegetic’) music.

PlayStation Gear store promo

Throughout the entire month of March, the PlayStation Gear store will be running an anniversary discount on the Modern Icons Aloy statue: get 25% off when you enter the code ‘anniversary’ at checkout, while supplies last!

PlayStation Store

If you don’t have Horizon Zero Dawn yet, now’s the time to take advantage of the ‘Critic’s Choice’ sale on the PlayStation Store! Until March 6th, Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition is being offered at 30% off for regular customers, and 35% off for PlayStation Plus subscribers.

…and more!

Stay tuned to PlayStation Blog and Guerrilla’s official Facebook and Twitter accounts for more Horizon Zero Dawn one year anniversary goodness!

Horizon Zero Dawn

Add Your Own

greedoN7 said:

February 28th, 5:13 am

I’m waiting for the only in America, since Sony only cares about them.

kisuma1 said:

February 28th, 5:18 am

Greedo, this is the US PlayStation Blog after all. Have you checked the EU blog? Your account region is UK.

Lethal_NFS said:

February 28th, 5:28 am

Exactly. You know how many great PS Store deals I see online only to find out it was EU store only. I see it all the time on Facebook. Drives me crazy.

murphdawg1 said:

February 28th, 5:49 am

Well this is the US blog but I’m sure the avatars and theme will available to everyone.

aaron_bush_96 said:

February 28th, 6:27 am

its available right now in Australia so it will be everywhere

gohan16ken said:

February 28th, 6:36 am

@kisuma1, how can you tell greedoN7 account is UK?

xWolferatus7x said:

February 28th, 10:25 am

@Lethal_NFS so what for sales? EU Store has much higher prices even on sale then US and CAD? try to get on PSN EU Last of Us under 6€ lol you can be happy if you can grab it for 12€ in a very good Sale … and thats just one …

kratos1984 said:

February 28th, 5:34 am

Congratz Guerrilla Game! You deserve all this success, Horizon Zero Dawn was my GOTY of 2017. Can’t wait for the sequel.

cusman said:

February 28th, 5:35 am

This was my favorite game in all of 2017. Nice to see the one-year anniversary celebrated with meaningful promotions like the free avatars, free theme, and the PlayStation Gear store promo.

Also, a nice sale price being offered to those who haven’t gotten this amazing game yet.

medicnick83 said:

February 28th, 5:35 am

GET THIS GAME!

My only wish? More and more and more HZD related content with more of the great story telling! I love this.

KillaNinjaKY74 said:

February 28th, 5:36 am

Where’s the avatars i can’t find it.

IRONCLAW08 said:

February 28th, 5:44 am

+1 to your reading skills. Says they will be available tomorrow.

Strategga said:

February 28th, 5:46 am

“Available tomorrow as free downloads from PlayStation Store…” It’s the first sentence, dude.

aaron_bush_96 said:

February 28th, 6:29 am

its available now… according to the Australian PSN Store.

stevesama888 said:

February 28th, 5:41 am

WOAH THAT’S HIGH! i’m pretty sure it surpassed zelda on switch as well in sales. it even surpassed TLOU when comparing first years

gameboy8877 said:

February 28th, 8:00 am

If WiiU is included then Zelda still beats it, but Switch alone overtaking Horizon shouldn’t be too long. Massive adventure games FTW! Hard to see another year topping 2017 for a long while

Beryllinthranox said:

February 28th, 1:38 pm

I mean, I don’t think it’s terribly impressive for a franchise like Zelda to outsell a game like Horizon, Breath of the Wild could have been an absolute trash-fire and still sold a couple million units. While there are three times as many PS4s as Switch/WiiU units, I’m still impressed that Horizon matched total BotW sales over the first year since it’s a new IP, from a relatively inexperienced studio, which had only produced a single other totally different franchise (and will have soon sold more units than entire said franchise).

saab01 said:

February 28th, 6:02 am

Best exclusive for the PS4 in my eyes. Loved this game have to go and play it again sometime and try to get the rest of the trophies that im missing.

zMd113 said:

February 28th, 6:04 am

I’m on my 3rd playthrough and still loving every second of it, it’s my new #1 favorite game!

Strathmore said:

February 28th, 6:17 am

An absolute masterpiece of a game. Glad to see gamers aren’t buying the corporate narrative touting single player campaign driven experiences as a thing of the past. I sincerely hope that this reminds those tone deaf conglomerates that gamers will always flock to this kind of quality content.

aaron_bush_96 said:

February 28th, 6:24 am

cant wait. for the stuff. already have MH World gear fully made.

DongreX said:

February 28th, 6:30 am

My favorite game of 2017. Everything in it was perfect!

Kera_Terra said:

February 28th, 7:58 am

Will there be a a discount for the Ru-UA store? I can see it live in US already, but not in my primary store…

Welmosca said:

February 28th, 8:27 am

It’s hard to believe it sold more than 7 million,damn…but it fully deserves.Best game of 2017,best PS4 exclusive game,2nd best open-world game and 2nd best PS4 game.In all PS exclusive games history Horizon is only 2nd to TLoU.What Guerrilla managed to achieve with Horizon is beyond outstanding…and only one who knows nothing about game development don’t see that.

Also FINALLY we on the US will have good avatars of Horizon.Thank you very much Guerrilla…I’ve been waiting for this.This is how you celebrate the anniversary of your game,wish other devs cared as much about their games.

PS:I hope y’all are working really hard on that Horizon 2 cuz it’ll be hard to top the 1st one hehe.

madcrabs said:

February 28th, 8:29 am

I’m playing through it for the first time now. I’m about 85% through. I did all the side missions as they came. It’s been good so far.

Ryumoau said:

February 28th, 8:58 am

Horizon Zero Dawn was my top game of last year. Such a refreshing open world rpg with probably my favorite female lead in gaming.

Still hard to believe it was made by the same studio who made those Killzone games. I wasn’t a fan of those, sadly.

Looking forward to more adventures in the HZD universe. :)

FL1GHTMARE said:

February 28th, 9:00 am

Congratulations HZD/Guerrilla employess.. Well deserved & Rightfully deserved. Here’s to an even brighter future to all involved

youdoneyo69 said:

February 28th, 10:37 am

It has been a year and I’m still playing this awesome game!

DFEGHALI said:

February 28th, 12:10 pm

30% and 35%? sorry but that’s not a good deal to me, i really want to get the game but i will wait for a 50% deal or better.

Beryllinthranox said:

February 28th, 1:40 pm

Dude, support the studio, they really deserve it. I understand buying COD 561 at half price, but this game is easily worth the full price.

mixedkidbx said:

February 28th, 3:19 pm

Congratz GG. HZD was beyond great. Glad to see the high sale numbers.

So when can we expect HZD2? Hopefully the next game will havemore dlc/expansions. So many areas/clans in HZD that could have had their own dlc, and im sure most of us would have bought.

If you suprise us with a new HZD dlc/expansion i will go crazy

bgardner said:

February 28th, 3:44 pm

this game was amazing can’t wait for the next Horizon Zero Dawn or Guerrilla games next thing the collector’s edition looks nice on my self.

FATHASUN said:

February 28th, 5:55 pm

You guys have a serious issue with finding content on the store. No link in the article doesn’t help. Maybe it’s me?

I can’t find the theme or avatars at all.

FATHASUN said:

February 28th, 6:03 pm

Disregard last comment as I don’t seem to know what day it is.

mbaezusa1982 said:

March 1st, 6:50 am

i cant find the avatars in the us store, do you find it?

HeathenFriar said:

February 28th, 7:03 pm

Games like Horizon Zero Dawn are the reason I’m a die-hard Playstation fan. I adore this game. Congrats to Guerilla and Sony on the great sales! This game deserves it.

Love that Nil avatar. :)

Dat_Raaif said:

February 28th, 11:35 pm

I pre-ordered the dlc and i downloaded it last month but i can’t play it. Its says waiting to install, and when i press X on it it says application doesnt exist. Please help me

Victor Zuylen's Avatar

Victor Zuylen said:

March 1st, 2:01 am

Make sure the region for the DLC you purchased is compatible with the region for your copy of Horizon Zero Dawn. You can find a list of compatible codes and other troubleshooting tips at http://bit.ly/hzdfaq.

Dat_Raaif said:

March 1st, 7:17 am

So my disc copy is cusa 07319 (europe). And i don’t know my dlc numbers.

BENHARVEY120 said:

March 1st, 1:25 am

Can’t find the Modern Icons #2 – Horizon Zero Dawn Aloy Statue in the PlayStation gear store sooooooo where is it?

Victor Zuylen's Avatar

Victor Zuylen said:

March 1st, 2:05 am

The statue is currently available from the US Gear store only. You can find it at https://gear.playstation.com/en-us/modern-icons-2-horizon-zero-dawn-aloy-statue.

PistolPoet said:

March 1st, 6:42 pm

I got the ps4 pro, thought about The Last Guardian, Horizon Zero Dawn & how these games were going to be enhanced for the pro. Took a bargain by getting either. Just knowing that Killzone came from Guerilla games made me not want to buy HZD but I quickly glimpse it’s story & how it took place in a Fallout type setting but with machines got me interested. Bought it & in the first 30 mins I was hooked. One of the best looking games & a very adaptable UI. I’ve played many 3rd person games & this is one for the books. Horizon is a stepping stone on how far we’ve come along in games. Can’t wait to see what’s next ..