Knack 2

Mar 20

Mar 20

Lumines Remastered Announced, Shinin’ Brighter Than Ever on PS4

The legendary audiovisual puzzle experience (and PSP launch title!) makes a vibrant return on PS4 this May.

Tetsuya Mizuguchi's Avatar Posted by President and CEO, Enhance Games

Hi everyone! It’s been over a year since I shared news on our previous game Rez Infinite, which was our very first VR title we ever worked on and a PS VR launch title. We hope some of you have had a chance to play it. Today, I’m excited to share news on another PlayStation platform launch title I worked on nearly 15 years ago: we are bringing back the original Lumines as Lumines Remastered on PS4.

Back in the earlier days of gaming, an enhanced on-the-go game experience was something I always hoped for, especially from Sony. When learning about the PSP, the interactive “Walkman of the 21st century” that you could play games on, the idea of blending great visuals with music — which, to me, is like a chemical reaction — led me to explore a game that can be played anywhere you would bring your Walkman and listen to music on headphones. The original Lumines was born from this idea. Because of that, PlayStation will always be the game’s “home” console and I look forward to sharing this remake with both old and new gamers.

Lumines on PSP

To describe it, Lumines is a block-dropping puzzler with different “skins” (levels) of varying visuals and tempos that provide a backdrop to fun and simple mechanics—all blocks are 2×2 squares with a random combination of two colors that you drop on the screen to create combos. A bar synced to the tempo of the music travels across the screen and sweeps over combos as fast as you can make them. Your play style affects the audio in a way where each rotation, drop, and successful combo is quantized to the beat. You’ll never hear a level the same way twice.

At first glance, an HD remake of a puzzle game may not sound that exciting, but seeing the grid, colorful blocks, background visuals and music really come alive on the big screen is special. Lumines Remastered also supports 4K on PS4 Pro, meaning even more beautiful skins! Mouse over the images below to see how Lumines Remastered on PS4 compares to the original Lumines on PSP.

Lumines Remastered on PS4

View full res: Original | Remastered

Lumines Remastered on PS4

View full res: Original | Remastered

Comparison: Lumines on PSP vs Lumines Remastered
Comparison of a single block in Lumines (left) and Lumines Remastered (right)

We’re also taking things to 4D with the vibration settings. First, you can set the options to feel the “Rhythm & Blocks” or “Blocks Only” on your controller. Next, best known from Rez and the Trance Vibrator peripheral we developed for that game, turn on Trance Vibration and connect up to four controllers to feel the music through your body. Strap the other three controllers on your hips, put them in your pockets, or place them near your feet! This was fun to test in the office with our development team. We felt that it’s the best way to experience Mondo Grosso’s popular track Shinin’!

Lumines Remastered: Trance Vibration

If your friends are around, they can join the fun as a spectator and feel what you feel (only the rhythm) by holding the controllers with Trance Vibration enabled, or be up for the challenge in local versus mode.

The scheduled release for Lumines Remastered is May, so get ready to feel the music and vibration while you groove to some cool trance and techno beats!

Lumines Remastered

Lumines RemasteredLumines Remastered

Lumines Remastered

Add Your Own

Gorvi said:

March 20th, 9:36 am

This is awesome. I still play this on my PSP from time to time. Yes, I still play my PSP. :)

NCtwin said:

March 21st, 4:40 pm

You and me both!

Wario64 said:

March 20th, 9:36 am

does it come with a platinum trophy

danduron said:

March 20th, 9:46 am

That’s what I’d like to know.. I bet it’s really really hard though.

danduron said:

March 20th, 9:47 am

Any chance for a Vita version??

Tomoprime said:

March 20th, 10:02 am

With all the homage to PSP this should be crossbuy for PSVita. If not what a slap in the face.

EvangelineXIV said:

March 20th, 11:00 am

Lumines will also be on another ‘portable’ that is much more relevant in 2018. Call it a consolation prize.

billyok said:

March 20th, 3:02 pm

A slap in the face! So dramatic. 6 1/2 years after launch, the self-entitement continues.

They made a Lumines game for Vita. Barely anyone bought it. They don’t owe Vita folks a thing. Time to move on.

regularegg said:

March 21st, 10:50 am

The Vita was a slap in the face. With memory cards costing over 100$, is it any wonder the system sold like crap? I delayed buying it for years because I just didn’t want to have to bother with the overpriced memory.

Developers go where the money is. And Sony worked *very* hard to make sure that the money wasn’t on PS Vita.

steeler192 said:

March 21st, 3:25 pm

@billyok: Electronic Symphony is not the original. Lumines and Lumines II were never made available in the PSN Store because of licensing and/or publishing issues. And now that it is being made available, the fact that it’s not for Vita (even as a legacy PSP title) is slap in the face.

But I’m not mad at Q Entertainment, or Namco, or Mr. Tetsuya, or even Enhance Games for that. I’m mad at Sony.

Cliff_Hanger said:

March 20th, 11:24 am

This is great news! I’ve bought every Lumines game on a PS platform, and I’m looking forward to going back to it. Hope you’re able to clear the songs for streaming.

gor1llap1mp said:

March 20th, 12:14 pm

OMG, thank you Tetsuya! I dont think I have to ask how much better it looks than the Vita version. But, is there anyway we can get a remastered version of Every Extend Extra? Thank you again and long live Lumines!

Curtisio said:

March 20th, 12:54 pm

I cannot buy this game because there is a Lumines version with a pooping dog as a animated background. Knowing this is a remaster then the pooping dog must be in the game because that’s considered cool and hip.

Ecks said:

March 20th, 1:19 pm

I’m looking forward to this! I’ve gotten all the Lumines games, and gotten all the trophies on the versions that have them. It’s going on 10 years since the PS3 version, time to play Lumines again on my tv!

adoptedmfr said:

March 20th, 1:38 pm

You sir. Are why I owned a PSP. Bought a Vita. And after hearing about Rez infinite started to save for a PS4 and VR headset. It’s an honor just to say tell you how much I appreciate your titles. And will gladly continue my tradition of purchasing your art.

I just wish Rez was portable hehe

DEATHSTROKE007 said:

March 20th, 1:46 pm

day one for me

AgentX said:

March 20th, 10:19 pm

Excellent news! I’m always up for more Lumines.

I started my addiction with the original game on PSP, on the day of the system’s release. In more recent years, I’ve also picked up the renditions for PS Vita, and even on my mobile phone. It’s nice to see that the original is getting a modernized makeover on the PS4.

If you’ve never tried a Lumines game, then I suggest you get acquainted. If you like puzzle games, music, or art…then this game’s got all of that. Give it a try!

Kong_Angantyr said:

March 21st, 10:41 am

Lumines: Electronic Symphony was my first experience with Lumines. While not all the songs were winners, I did enjoy many of them. I bought Lumines Supernova for the PS3, but I definitely liked the music choices in Electronic Symphony better.

As this one is a remaster of an even older PSP game, does it use the same tracks as the original, or is there new music?

BlaqMagiq24 said:

March 21st, 10:57 am

Will this have a physical copy?

cchilds07 said:

March 21st, 11:40 am

Will this allow me to play homebrew on my PS4? /s

MakoSama02 said:

March 21st, 6:53 pm

Oh my goshhhhhhh this is the greatest news ever! I really hope the entire soundtrack is brought over! Lights was my JAM!!!

goodspirits27 said:

March 22nd, 5:04 am

One of the best PSP games ever!

AceQueck said:

March 22nd, 10:08 am

i actually had this back on my ps2

RPGvsFPS said:

April 2nd, 8:45 am

So excited! Was bummed it was not compatible with PS TV. I will so get this for ps4!