God of War

Mar 28

Mar 28

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age Journeys West September 4

Pre-order at PlayStation Store to secure a stunning new PS4 Theme.

Hokuto Okamoto's Avatar Posted by Producer, Square Enix

It’s a pleasure to meet everyone. I’m Hokuto Okamoto, the producer of Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age. I’m ecstatic to announce the release date for the latest installment in the Dragon Quest series, Dragon Quest XI, for everyone in the West: Septebmer 4, 2018!

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

Dragon Quest XI was developed so that it would become a culmination of sorts for the series up to now, a title that essentially represents “a new beginning” despite it being the latest game in the Dragon Quest series. The game itself has been received quite favorably by consumers since its release in Japan, and I believe the title has shaped up to become something “both nostalgic and new” for existing fans of the series, and something that ignites the desire to play the other titles in the series upon completing the game for those experiencing Dragon Quest for the first time.

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

The game’s scenario amounts to one of the most epic narratives in the series. Much time was spent localizing the game in an effort to properly communicate and deliver the rich localities that amass “Erdrea”, the world of Dragon Quest XI. But, reflective of the time spent, it is truly shaping up to become a wonderful game. Of course, it does not end with localization. Some arrangements are being made throughout the game to ensure greater accessibility for Western players, including voice overs and adjustments to the UI design such as the menu.

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive AgeDragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

For example, the Equipment screen in the Japanese version reflects the traditional text-only UI, familiar to Japanese fans, but the Western version adopts a UI that displays icons so that it is easier to visually grasp certain information such as the weapon type.

The scenario, characters, and overall universe were particularly praised in Japan, but I’m especially excited about hearing what kind of sentiment and impressions everyone overseas will have towards the game! Please look forward to Dragon Quest XI!

PSN Pre-orders Start Today

Dragon Quest XI: Pre-order ThemeDragon Quest XI: Pre-order Theme

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age is coming to the West on September 4, 2018. Pre-order now on PSN to receive the exclusive “The Legend Reborn” Theme (shown above) as an instant reward, along with in-game DLC items when the game launches (Vest for Success, Seed of Skill x15, and Über Agate of Evolution x3).

Add Your Own

RLdub said:

March 28th, 6:12 am

Please tell us 2 things:
1. Is the western release of the game uncensored?
2. Will there be a Collector’s Edition?

Hokuto Okamoto's Avatar

Samantha Laabs said:

March 28th, 1:30 pm

The game is not censored!

MidnightDragonDX said:

March 28th, 8:40 am

IGN said that they said there will be a special edition and details will be announced at a later date.

Leone_ChrisD said:

March 28th, 6:14 am

Glad to hear the localization is getting Voice Overs if I remember correctly the Japanese Version had no voices. I haven’t played a Dragon Quest game since VIII on the PS2 so I am really excited to pick this up. This is one of my most anticipated games next to KH3.

Hokuto Okamoto's Avatar

Samantha Laabs said:

March 28th, 11:10 am

You’re right! The Japanese version had no voices, and they’re a new feature for the Western localization. We’re excited about it too!

Mgalens said:

March 28th, 6:15 am

really happy to see this happen, would love to see the ps4 versions of the initial 3 dragon quest games make it west since they are localized on ios.

mwatcher said:

March 28th, 6:33 am

Bring it!!!

danilodsz said:

March 28th, 6:44 am

Somehow I really disliked the menu changes, but either way I’m gonna get it!
thanks a lot for bringing it to this side of the world!

Hokuto Okamoto's Avatar

Samantha Laabs said:

March 28th, 1:43 pm

You’re very welcome! Glad to hear it!

MrUntamedGuy said:

March 28th, 11:01 pm

The old one looks like its just text based, and the new one adds to that text, in my opinion it looks better!

jrodfantastic said:

March 28th, 7:02 am

Oh man, this news just made my day.

Mando44646 said:

March 28th, 7:03 am

where the hell is Switch and 3DS, Square? I will not give you money on PS4 or PC

insanekiller69 said:

March 28th, 7:16 am

Why are you on a ps site then ? Also, the Switch doesn’t exist in Japan yet, so it’s normal they didn’t announce anything.

Drago1082 said:

March 28th, 7:22 am

But you’ll visit a PS blog site to ask about Nintendo consoles? Nintendo has seen plenty of Dragon Quest games, Im excited for the first main entry on PS since VIII, if I’m not mistaken, which was way back on the PS2.

clupula668 said:

March 28th, 10:47 am

I guess you’re going to have to the Nintendo blog if you want answers to that. You’re in the wrong place, buddy. Go away.

BOOTSY69407 said:

March 30th, 9:06 am

Why did you come to a playstation site to talk about Nintendo. It isn’t coming to 3DS and the Switch and Nintendo sucks. That’s why it’s delayed until next year.

Get out of here troll. Nobody cares.

Lay0Pipe said:

March 28th, 7:13 am

PlayStation store preorder release date says 12/31/2018, which is it? Super stoked!!!

Hokuto Okamoto's Avatar

Samantha Laabs said:

March 28th, 11:12 am

It will be 9/4/2018 across North America and Europe. :) 12/31 is a common default placeholder date. Glad you’re stoked!!

Drago1082 said:

March 28th, 7:19 am

I set up a preorder for Swords of Ditto and it said the same thing even though the game’s page had an April release date. Something they need to update on tue store’s backend I assume.

Drago1082 said:

March 28th, 7:24 am

Excited for Dragon Quest coming back to PS and not be a Dynasty Warrior clone!

Airwalkinman17 said:

March 28th, 7:49 am

I logged in just to say….

“THANK YOU!!!” x1,000,000 to everyone on the development and publishing side.

I have been long looking forward to this. Pre-ordering now :)

Hokuto Okamoto's Avatar

Samantha Laabs said:

March 28th, 11:25 am

You’re welcome!!! x1,000,000!!! :D We’re so looking forward to it too~

BReal1982 said:

March 28th, 7:51 am

Very cool. Now that they have Toriyama’s RPG style looking this good in a modern engine, maybe we can get a Chrono Trigger remake (on the scale of what’s happening with Final Fantasy VII) next….

Jisatsu_Kiddo said:

March 28th, 8:24 am

i doubt it. They never made chrono trigger 2 and teased it in one of the games endings. We could have also had it years ago if Square didn’t shut down a small team making a fan project not getting paid for it or asking for money. I hope if they do they don’t do the FFV Remake route and destroy the title.

elscorcho0 said:

March 28th, 8:21 am

Will there be a way to turn on the classic menu UI? I am an avid Dragon Quest fan and I really like the traditional UI. The updated UI does not feel like a Dragon Quest game. Especially since you will spend a fair amount of time in the menus. Please make sure users can toggle it on if they want the classic one!

ApocalipticGhost said:

March 28th, 10:14 am

Im hoping for this too. I appreciate that they try to appeal more people here in the west, but they shouldn’t ignore ling-time fans changing things we like.

MidnightDragonDX said:

March 28th, 8:32 am

Been looking forward to this!

perrandy said:

March 28th, 9:12 am

i’m excited by this news.cant wait for September 4 to arrive

a 6 month wait,its worth it if everything will be done right :)

Hokuto Okamoto's Avatar

Samantha Laabs said:

March 28th, 12:32 pm

I think it’ll be worth it. ;) We’re excited too!

gohan16ken said:

March 28th, 9:29 am

Dear Square Enix,

I just got into Dragon Quest. I bought them on Android and 3DS. But I want more. Please re-release all DQ games to PS4, XB1, Switch, and 3DS. Thanks.

EmanuelTheErmine said:

March 30th, 4:08 am

Wouldn’t mind a remaster of Dragon Quest 9. Been trying to get my friends to get that game so we can play together like I used to with my brother when I was but a young boy. Man, I love that game, and I love this series

ApocalipticGhost said:

March 28th, 10:13 am

Hi, Mr Okumoto.
I want to say im heavily disappointed that Square Enix decided to skip the 3DS version. I have played both 3DS and PS4 versions in japanese, and i think both complement each other quite well. I think hardcore DQ fans like myself would eaily double dip on this game, even if you only released the game digitally on 3DS. (I know this is the PS blog, but i think the 3DS version goes in a complete different direction so it shouldn’t bother anyone.)

That said, im liking most of the changes you have announced for the western PS4 (and PC!) version, like the voice acting. The three i’ve heard (Camus/Erik, the king and Greid/Hendrick) are great choices for the character. The first person mode for pictures also sounds incredible. The only change i am greatly disliking is the menus. I think changing them is erasing a part of DQ’s essence. The equipment menu and the inventory, specifically, look bad to me. Please, offer the classic DQ menu as an option, even if it is as a DLC.

That said, im eager to play the game a 4th time next September. Im hoping the limited edition teased in the game’s site is good!

boxmyth said:

March 28th, 10:46 am

No doubt must-buy for me. It’s my favorite RPG series.
I’ve played through every DQ game (except 10 for obvious reasons).
Looking forward to this!

Hokuto Okamoto's Avatar

Samantha Laabs said:

March 28th, 11:49 am

It’s my favorite RPG series too. ;) Glad you’re looking forward to it!

danjin44 said:

March 28th, 12:40 pm

Oh god, i have been waiting for so such long time. just like 2017, 2018 is gonna another fantastic year for JRPG fans.

Bengalinha said:

March 28th, 1:02 pm

I’m really not digging the new menus…Doesn’t look anything like dragon quest. Plus they fill the whole screen. The original menus are clean and transparent.
This should be optional.

DuoMaxwell007 said:

March 28th, 1:08 pm

Yawn. DQXI. I’ll start to care when you finally give us DQX thanks.

With the success of FFXI and XIV in the states SE would have to be stupid to not thing DQX couldnt be just as successful in the US. Before anyone says “But FF has a biggest fanbase in the US than DQ… well DQs base must be “good enough” if theyre even releasing XI here. How many main DQ titles has the US NOT gotten? (hint: just as many main FF titles as the US HASNT gotten… answer none)

Tomoprime said:

March 28th, 3:26 pm

That trailer has lots of frame stutter or something going on. I hope they patch it before launch. I hope the localization isn’t filled with lots of british accents like in the other PS4 versions. I have nothing against the game otherwise, please don’t rush the launch.

SNKyon said:

March 28th, 7:43 pm

Is it a dynamic theme or static?

HeathenFriar said:

March 28th, 7:43 pm

YES! Finally! Great news, I can’t wait for this game.

ColdIron-v13 said:

March 29th, 12:04 am

Glad to see a proper Dragon Quest again, I was sad that X never made it here and while the customization in IX was cool it made the game feel a little flat as they had no personality to become attached too. This one seems to have quite the line up. Is this a case of pick your 3 favorite team mates or will we really have 7 party members in combat at once?

TranquilitysEdge said:

March 29th, 1:12 am

Never played a Dragon Quest game before. Looking forward to trying it out for the first time.

Exiledshadow1 said:

March 29th, 3:51 am

My favorite RPG. Loved VII and VIII. Nice to see it come to the west on new console. Definitely a pre-order.

jbumi said:

March 29th, 3:58 am

It’s amazing how quickly time’s going by – it’s been 13 years since DQVIII!!!! I’m so glad we’ve finally gotten a firm release date! Very much looking forward to playing XI!!

Laihoard said:

March 29th, 5:03 am

Oh man September is a great month for JRPGs. I just woke up and this news has made day; thanks so much for bringing this to the west!

BlaqMagiq24 said:

March 29th, 5:28 am

I’ll be getting this game but now:

Localize Dragon Quest 1-3 for PS4. I refuse to play the mobile versions.

AlefgardHero said:

March 29th, 6:18 pm

I have played the mobile versions of One and Two, but second this. Having them on the big screen would be so nice, and the translation has already been done because they are the same ones as the mobile versions.

davroslek said:

March 29th, 7:40 am

Any idea on when the trophy list will be revealed? Will it be any different than the trophies on the Japanese version?

high_times360 said:

March 29th, 9:43 am

great news, i’m so exited, thanks

AlefgardHero said:

March 29th, 6:16 pm

Is there going to be a special edition version like DQ: Heroes with the chest and other items? Or will the physical version come with the pre-order bonuses? I would really like a physical copy for my collection but want the extra content, i.e. the theme and in game bonuses.

Dragonzblaze said:

March 29th, 7:00 pm

going to get collecters edition i love jrpgs

Welmosca said:

March 30th, 12:25 am

Wha?…how the hell did you acquired that Black Panter avatar?…damn that’s an awesome avatar right there.

Welmosca said:

March 30th, 12:28 am

Saw the trailer and gameplay on YT yesterday…damn it looks great,its a shame the combat is mediocre.

EmanuelTheErmine said:

March 30th, 4:06 am

But but but…. I want the text-based UI system from Dragon Quest of old… Is that a setting I can change or is it stuck that way?

raihidara said:

April 2nd, 12:02 am

Is the music being reorchestrated for the US release?

ajefferism said:

April 12th, 9:02 am

I definately second this question. I remember playing DQ8 and being blown away by the live orchestra version of the soundtrack that we were lucky to get here in the West for that release. I know the symphonic suite for DQ11 has been released in Japan. Any chance you could do the same treatment when it release hear in the west? Fully orchestrated soundtracks are becoming the norm (at least here in the west), and it would make the game sound a bit dated if we got the synth version of the soundtrack (see the wonderful remaster of Final Fantasy 12’s soundtrack!). Koichi Sugiyama is one of the greatest game composers ever, please do his work justice!

micdy70 said:

April 9th, 8:08 pm

will there be a Digital Deluxe pre-order option?