Knack 2

Apr 05

Apr 05

It’s Official: Spyro Reignited Trilogy Soars to PS4 September 21

Hold your horns! Our favorite purple dragon makes his long-awaited return later this year.

Toby Schadt's Avatar Posted by Design Director, Toys for Bob

Toys for Bob has long admired the original Spyro trilogy. Long before Skylanders, way back in 1998, the very first Spyro the Dragon was an inspiration to us. The level design, the controls, the art style, the humor, the music, the sense of discovery – it was groundbreaking in so many ways. There’s no getting around the fact that the feisty purple dragon is one of the most important and influential heroes in 3D platformer history. Now twenty years on, we are deeply honored to have the responsibility of remastering Insomniac’s historic trilogy, and our most powerful motivator is knowing how important Spyro is to millions of passionate fans across the globe.

Spyro

Updating a Classic

Remastering a classic is a unique undertaking for a game developer – unlike the creation of a new game where you have to find the fun, you’re starting with a game that already has proven, time-tested fun. The real challenge lies in how to remaster a beloved classic in such a way that is true to the spirit and feel of the original while also maximizing fidelity (art, animation, visual effects, sound effects, music, controls) and integrating quality-of-life improvements that modern players expect (analog stick camera control, auto-save system, more fast-travel options, etc.).

Spyro Reignited Trilogy

Staying True

Given the intense passion the fans have for the original trilogy, we are approaching development with reverence—a deep respect for all the decisions that went into making the original games. In the interest of getting the feel right, one of the first things we agreed upon internally was that Spyro’s original movement metrics — speeds and accelerations for walking, running, jumping, charging, gliding, flying, swimming, hovering, and more – should be matched as closely as possible. And in a similar vein, an authentic recreation of the platforming gameplay throughout the expansive and enchanted levels of the original trilogy would require the dimensions and collision details of the world geometry to come very close to matching the originals. Needless to say, the Dragon Realms of 2018 utilize considerably more polygons than their 1998 counterparts.

Spyro BeforeSpyro After

Engineering Magic

In the interest of recapturing the enchanted details from the classic trilogy in fine detail, our programming team set out to magically slurp inspiration directly from the original games. Spyroscope was born. This internally developed tool sends fairies into the original games who convert game details into a format that designers can easily interpret, allowing for extremely accurate game object placement and motion. Ultimately, we were also able to leverage many of the original assets such as level models, level collision, animated objects, character models, music, game text, and game sounds through a combination of other in-house tools and a few payments to Moneybags.

Spyro

“Thank you for releasing me!”

Upon this solid foundation of data from the original trilogy, we’ve set out to craft a remaster trilogy worthy of Spyro’s 20th anniversary celebration. Each day, we’re working hard to fill the Dragon Realms, Avalar, and the Forgotten Realms with all the magic you remember. We can’t wait to share it with you all later this year. Stay posted for more updates from the team—we look forward to revealing more details with the PlayStation community as the release date approaches. In the meantime, we hope you don’t have too much trouble with the trolley.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

paulogy said:

April 5th, 8:06 am

Looks great to me! September is shaping up to be a great month for PlayStation :-)

alyssam41 said:

April 5th, 8:10 am

waited a long time for this, september will be a great gaming month =D

BlaqMagiq24 said:

April 5th, 8:10 am

I played demos of these back in the day and enjoyed but never played the full games. I will be getting these Day 1. Glad to see the original Spyro look instead of the Skylanders look.

There’s also a rumor of cut content from the originals being added to the trilogy. I hope you guys will speak on it soon.

tnsuperkitty528 said:

April 5th, 8:35 am

Can’t wait to see what theme comes with this!

uppup said:

April 5th, 8:41 am

That’s not what “fidelity” means. Fidelity means “faithfulness”, and in an audio/video equipment context it means accuracy in reproducing a source recording. I see what you’re trying to say, but you’ve used a word that doesn’t make sense here. It sounds as if you’ve heard the term “hi-fi” and not ever understood what it means. If you want to “maximize fidelity” of “art, animation, visual effects, sound effects, music, controls”, just play the original game :p

MidnightDragonDX said:

April 5th, 8:43 am

Day 1 for me!

brn-dn said:

April 5th, 8:44 am

Three of my favorite games of all time! Now my most anticipated game of 2018! Great job Toys for Bob the game looks even better than I could have imagine.

hawjboi2009 said:

April 5th, 8:52 am

Damn, too many games to buy in September

Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Spyro Trilogy
NBA 2k19
Spider-Man

jawaad_733 said:

April 5th, 8:52 am

How much will it cost?

tlal_q8_22 said:

April 5th, 8:58 am

Old school ❤❤❤

MidnightDragonDX said:

April 5th, 9:01 am

Throwing money at my monitor, but nothing’s happening! D: Day 1. Loved the original Spyro games.

speeddog73 said:

April 5th, 9:03 am

I’ve waited 3 years checking news often through months and months with hope that this would come…Thank you. This is perfect, I don’t know how it could be better.

(Also, when can I input my Secret Demo Code? ;D)

Renan_Acid said:

April 5th, 9:23 am

Thank you so much! Spyro 1 is my favorite game of all time, and I love 2 and 3 as well!

I really didn’t like that you put him in Skylanders (plus his design, the fixed camera and the toys-to-life business model) but after seeing the screenshots and trailer for the Reignited Trilogy (great name, by the way!) I am confident that you will redeem yourselves in the eyes of classic Spyro fans, myself included! Thanks again, and best of luck!

PearlTx said:

April 5th, 9:39 am

❤ if this does well which it definitely will I hope they consider the later games and maybe a new game for cinder

Spyroluver88 said:

April 5th, 9:41 am

I am beyond excited for this. It can’t get here soon enough!! And my PSN ID is relevant again, too. Crying real tears of joy over here! I’m preordering today!!

KandyRaver_21 said:

April 5th, 9:43 am

Will they have mutiplayer in our fave game like own dragon charecter that would be awesome :D

takaithepanda said:

April 5th, 10:20 am

If this is as good as the Crash remaster, instant buy. Love Spyro.

snoozie0916 said:

April 5th, 10:32 am

This is so great to hear. When can we pre-order?

jawaad_733 said:

April 6th, 8:44 am

Right now on Amazon!

MGN1990 said:

April 5th, 10:35 am

“Trouble with the trolley, eh?” HAHAHA
I heard that all the time during Ripto’s Rage.
This remastered trilogy looks fantastic!

Kishnabe said:

April 5th, 10:42 am

My Childhood is coming back. Awesome to see this get Remastered.

Hopefully, does well enough for Gecko to get his turn.

Edgrrr said:

April 5th, 10:45 am

Day 1 purchase!
I hope they remaster Wipeout 1,2, and 3 with VR support next!

Sponge-worthy said:

April 5th, 11:13 am

Got tired of playing down all the rumors eh? ;)

This is great news. Spyro is an awesome, underutilized character who inhabits an amazing world. I imagine that modernizing the original games is no small feat. Good luck!

cleversignin said:

April 5th, 11:22 am

I was really, really hoping the only comment would be from that one guy that kept asking for spyro every week in the store update (when it existed) and that would be the only copy of the game they sold and a valuable lesson about number of comments not equalling sales (especially in this age of game stop) would be learned. as usual I am disappointed in you folks.

car_ed said:

April 5th, 11:30 am

They really couldn’t get Tom Kenny again?

CreationZilla said:

April 5th, 11:21 pm

Actually they brought him back to revoice all three games, instead of Carlos Alazraqui (Which voiced Spyro in the first game). There are some Dev. Videos released yesterday that confirm this.

Teflon02 said:

April 5th, 11:56 am

I’m going to go and say this now. I may not know spyro as well as I know crash but I have them all and beat 1 and 3 plus still got all 3 on Vita. I just hope they don’t do nothing dumb that’s not suppose to be in the game to create false difficulty. Crash trilogy gets so annoying for me because the physics are different and use physics aren’t good. Especially with how you slide off ledges and even boxes. I’ve fell off stages plenty because of landing on the edge of a box on ice and it catapulted me right into a jump you just can’t make.
Great to hear though and will be buying

Doglevel said:

April 5th, 12:40 pm

Dear Toys for Bob,

Sam_Xala said:

April 5th, 12:50 pm

Great news! I see that you can pre-order the game on the PS Store and it has an exclusive theme, but the thing is that I want to preorder the physical copy instead of a digital one, can we get the same pre-order bonus/goodies as the digital one if we purchase the physical one instead?

SpeedPD27 said:

April 5th, 12:59 pm

Please consider remastering Enter the Dragonfly too!! Much love for that game as well!!

relient_eggs said:

April 6th, 3:12 pm

Please tell me you’re joking…

ioanina said:

April 6th, 3:41 pm

You do know that game had a lacking storyline, yes? That is because that game was hastily rushed due to demand of getting it launched in ’02. Not wise on that decision. Believe me.

If I were them, I’d avoid redoing that decision ever again… and maybe redo that game’s storyline all over again to include a new antagonist, not Ripto. Don’t mind him being recurring, but would rather see new villains in Spyro’s adventures.

In seriousness, no one would ever want to repeat the infamous days they had before when it comes to rushed games.

asthmatic419 said:

April 5th, 2:05 pm

I should image they will sell a ton of copies of this when it arrives. Us old gamers who played the originals will likely be jumping at this. Nice work.

ThursdayLE said:

April 5th, 2:41 pm

This is great and all but can we now get Socom remastered? you know, the #1 most requested game on the PlayStation.blog. You can do it Sony!

Inresurrection said:

April 5th, 3:03 pm

This is such a passionate and inspiring write-up. September can’t come soon enough. I cannot wait to dive back into the Spyro trilogy in all its remastered glory. Thank you, Sony and Toys for Bob!

Randinator-_001 said:

April 5th, 3:05 pm

Ive been waiting for a spyro remake ever since the ps3 launched!!!

ammar2292 said:

April 6th, 12:17 pm

I’ve been waiting for a remake after finishing all three XD

Have been waiting for quite some time and this certainly looks awesome. Though sparx looks weird, somehow as if he went to the gym and also mutated or evolved only to have limbs and such hahaha :-)
    Even if Sparx is different in looks department, he does look good to me.

ioanina said:

April 6th, 3:34 pm

If some have taken note about Sparx, that is because in the PS1 games, that dragonfly lacked any, due to the PS1’s polygon count. Remember, in those days, people who mad games in that console had to adhere to that.

Now that the polygon count keeps going up, thanks to stronger hardware, he looks better than ever!

TurtMan said:

April 5th, 4:45 pm

Crash Team Racing please.

DarknessRider666 said:

April 5th, 4:50 pm

This is amazing, I am so excited it has brought me to tears…… Spyro is a very very big part if my childhood and to get a remaster is amazing! Thank you to all who made this possible!

Ronvclovis said:

April 5th, 5:18 pm

My most favorite game ever, Spyro was my first tattoo! I can’t wait to get this one.

WARHULK66613 said:

April 5th, 7:49 pm

i beat all those back on ps1 one many times and still have them i bought them new can,t wait tell i can get my hands on this one spyro looks more like a cartoon though i love spyro should have been remastered before the stupid game Crash Bandicoot though

snarls200 said:

April 5th, 8:59 pm

I’m hoping it includes the cosmetic cheat codes in some foorm.

Like the color change and squid board

CreationZilla said:

April 5th, 11:23 pm

I’m so happy to see Spyro make a comeback! The original Spyro was the first video game I ever played and the original trilogy carried me through school!

SlimWolf93 said:

April 6th, 2:10 am

I don’t know about the first one and “Years of the Dragon,” but “Ripto’s Rage” needs a new game+ mode for when you get 100% and get the supper power up so that you can collect everything again with it.

emaw1991 said:

April 6th, 5:08 pm

The original had that. You just had to load a completed save file, then back out and start a new game and you’ll have the super flame power up from the beginning.

TranquilitysEdge said:

April 6th, 6:23 am

I only ever managed to play the demo on the PS1 of the original Spyro when I was younger, so I am looking forward to finally diving into this. Also the game looks stunning!

cowmamba said:

April 6th, 9:57 am

Awe heck yeah!

ioanina said:

April 6th, 3:30 pm

That is amazing! I’ve never been fond of Skylanders because it’s not all about Spyro(obviously), rather, all about us battling Kaos every time. I’ve gotten sick of it. Really glad to see the true Spyro, in his soon to be restored greatness! I know it will mean more new installments to Spyro once the Reignited Trilogy’s launched. It’s good to have the true Spyro back!

Plus, he now has thumbs, the very bit he lacked before, that Insomniac Games noted.

Welmosca said:

April 6th, 11:52 pm

Nice,not bad…this time around I’ll wait until its $5 or so on sale.Pre-ordered Crash and I kinda regret now that I see that it’ll go multiplatform,its a shame and a huge disrespect with PS fans.I know activision knows nothing about respect but Sony knows and I wish Sony had dropped enough money to make Crash exclusive forever,seeing that they didn’t just proves that they’re now catering to new gamers and not giving a damn about us old playas which are the pillars of their community.Good job but I’m not supporting this.

Pythonhier said:

April 7th, 9:09 am

Anyone knows if this game is coming out Hard-copy, or is it just digital?

Sotiris1828 said:

April 7th, 9:30 am

Τhis is just great :D
request: please enable us to play with Cynder from “The Legend of Spyro” in this game

KoldStrejke said:

April 7th, 10:51 am

Maybe I missed it, but is it going to be a retail release? if not, that’s to bad. I do not buy Digital any longer.

KoldStrejke said:

April 7th, 10:58 am

Ok I found it. going to Pre Order Disc Now. :)

wolfpuppy1 said:

April 8th, 6:33 pm

This looks awesome. Already put a hold on it at my local gamestop and plan to pay for the preorder in full tomorrow. At first i thought the dragons trapped in crystal. When free’ed looked sort of cartoony. But i went back and paused it. Cause it switches scenes so fast and wow they look even more majestic then before. I am super excited to get this when it comes out. Then i can even stream the gameplay. Since i won’t need a capture card.

LisaStein said:

April 11th, 7:01 pm

I really can’t wait for this. I flipped when Crash came out, and I am flipping tf out over this. Spyro

CathyGames said:

April 12th, 4:21 am

Love Spyro so looking forward to the Remastered Spyro Thank You

Pashta said:

April 12th, 11:50 am

AWESOME!!!! One of my favorite games!! Yay!!

PAGE 1 2