Knack 2

Apr 13

Apr 13

How Bear McCreary Composed God of War’s Soundtrack, Out Today on Spotify

Listen to the stunning new God of War OST today on Spotify, available on PlayStation Music, one week before it releases anywhere else.

Bear McCreary's Avatar Posted by

Hey PlayStation.Blog readers! With only one week until the return of Kratos, I’m delighted to announce that the full God of War soundtrack is live today on Spotify, available on PlayStation Music!

When Santa Monica Studio asked me to compose the score to the new God of War, I was awestruck, because I’m such a fan of the original games in the franchise. As I collaborated with game director Cory Barlog, it became clear that this new game would require wholly new music that did not revisit the memorable scores of the original games, but instead ventured forth into new musical territory. I took my memories of that classic God of War soundtrack – the deep choirs, pounding drums, and shrieking brass – and reinvented them for a Norse age. I wrote new themes, and introduced to the music exotic instrumentation and languages from various Northern European folk traditions.

Of all the new pieces that I wrote for God of War, the song that means the most to me personally is probably “Memories of Mother.” This was the first theme I wrote for God of War, and it was not for the Mother — it was for Kratos himself! Inspired by the new game’s shockingly emotional story, I set out to completely reinvent the musical language of this character, to compose an unexpectedly beautiful theme for Kratos.

God of War Soundtrack

My initial musical sketches were built entirely out of variations of this melancholy theme, and produced nearly four years ago for an early prototype of the game. As the game moved into full production, the Sony creative team and I realized that the theme was actually too sad and lyrical to represent Kratos. So, I shelved it and set out to write a new theme, a piece that would ultimately debut at E3 2016 with a live orchestra before the announcement of the game. That melody is more reflective of the qualities one associates with Kratos: masculine, relentless, and badass.

About a year after I started writing, I shifted focus to scoring cinematics, and it became clear I would need a theme to represent Atreus’ mother. That’s when I remembered the beautiful melody I had abandoned! It was exactly the theme I needed. The Mother Theme was then woven into dozens of scenes, and is now featured in the score as much as, if not more than, Kratos’ main theme.

“Memories of Mother” was the melody I first imagined years ago, when I was tasked with finding a new sound for the franchise. I hope that fans will be deeply moved by it as they play through this epic adventure on April 20.

Add Your Own

tom110584 said:

April 13th, 6:43 am

Thanks for making this available on Spotify. And especially for keeping on churning out these amazing exclusives year after year. From a proud PlayStation fan for four generations.

KazeEternal said:

April 13th, 7:47 am

The moment I heard you were working on this game Bear I was even more stoked to see what this game would be. I’ve enjoyed the many contributions to the and games over the years and even still listen to tracks from bsg even today. I honestly can’t think of a better composer to take up the reigns for this new god of war as it takes it’s first steps in a new world with our infamous protagonist.

xBlackBloodx said:

April 13th, 7:48 am

Hi Bear, I heard the interview with you during the God of War podcast. I was interested to hear music was based off of the characters/Kratos’ feelings. After that I was excited to hear more. After today release of the album, in higher quality, I decided to listen to album on some nice, quality speakers. Memories of Mother gave me chills. Super talented composer. I can’t wait to hear it in game in less than a week! Good job team.

Been good avoiding Spoilers! Super excited!

PlanetJumble said:

April 13th, 7:54 am

WARNING: stay away from the soundtrack if you don’t want to be subject to SPOILERS!

Thankfully I was warned early enough that not only are the song titles direct spoilers of events of the game, they are also in order of appearance. Great for listening later on when you beat the game (which I am doing for sure), but really really bad for suggesting this before the game is even released. :(

tmvde said:

April 13th, 11:13 am

Nice and the CD is already available for pre-order and releases this April. This will be added to my Bear collection, actually ordered The Cloverfield Paradox today. Had to wait almost a year on a physical release of Horizon Zero Dawn.

Bear McCreary's Avatar

Bear McCreary said:

April 13th, 1:52 pm

Awesome, thank you!

forbidden-siren3 said:

April 13th, 3:18 pm

On Amazon?

tmvde said:

April 15th, 3:13 am

Yup, with all retailers.

ZANIACK said:

April 13th, 11:53 am

I’ve recently been listening to the main theme performed at the E3 2016 showcase and it still gives me goosebumps. Bear, you had some big shoes to fill. Santa Monica Studio’s first four God of War games each had phenomenal action music, and this new one will be no different. Congrats and thank you.

EnigmaNemesis said:

April 13th, 12:07 pm

I have been listening to this brilliant piece of art all morning in my office! Thank you for this epic work!

“Memories of Mother” literally made my hair stand up when I first heard it!

Bear McCreary's Avatar

Bear McCreary said:

April 13th, 1:51 pm

Thanks so much!

EnigmaNemesis said:

April 13th, 7:05 pm

You’re very welcome, and thank you as well!

forbidden-siren3 said:

April 13th, 3:17 pm

Any chance of this being released on iTunes soon?

aa22hhhh said:

April 13th, 8:13 pm

It will be on iTunes next Friday

Mega-Sackman said:

April 13th, 6:29 pm

The score is absolutely fantastic! gave it a listen but I’ll stay away from it now until I played the game. Congrats on the success!!

blavwalsh said:

April 16th, 7:30 am

EIVØR!!!!! I’ve waited for this since I first discovered her playing with Bear and the orchestra!!

t00th3r1ne said:

April 16th, 8:03 am

Honestly, when this game was first announced, the thing that pumped me up the most was the score. When the main theme was played by a live orchestra with Bear conducting at E3 2016, I had goosebumps. I was immediately drawn in. Then when the trailer started and it was revealed to be a new God of War game, I lost it. :) Friday can’t come soon enough!!

Athena19 said:

April 18th, 5:45 am

I didn’t find out until today when I went to listen to the soundtrack on Spotify that you were doing the soundtrack for the game. My excitement for the game shot up even further (If that’s even possible at this point due to the hype!). BSG is still my all time favorite Sci-Fi show and the theme song from that show was so memorable. Loving the God of War soundtrack. So glad you got to compose it, couldn’t have chosen anyone better for it.

WhiteWolf988 said:

April 19th, 6:17 am

Will there be a google play store release? I’d definitely buy it on there. And if it is planned… when?