PlayStation VR

May 01

May 01

PS2 Games Join the PS Now Library of 600+ Titles

Hot Shots Tennis, Ape Escape 2 and more join the ever-expanding PS Now library.

Brian Dunn's Avatar Posted by Senior Marketing Manager, PlayStation Now

This month, I’m excited to announce the first batch of classic PlayStation 2 games arriving in PS Now, adding to the ever-expanding library of nearly 650 games. Re-live iconic PS2 games like Ape Escape 2, Dark Cloud 2, Hot Shots Tennis, and more! These PS2 games are part of the lineup of classic PS2 games that have been ported for play on PS4 and are currently available at PS Store for download, running in HD and with PS Trophy support. We’ve also got the acclaimed indie hit Limbo, the classic SNK 2D side-scroller Metal Slug 3, and other fantastic games for you to try out this month.

New This Month

Use wacky and ingenious ape-catching gadgetry to seize all the funny and feisty primates before they can take over the world in the PS2 classic Ape Escape 2.

Experience the world of Limbo, the acclaimed black-and-white side-scrolling indie hit. With unique visuals and storytelling, discover a touching adventure about a boy uncertain about his sister’s fate.

Dark Cloud 2, the classic PS2 action-RPG, lets you build your world, invent and create your own weapons, items, and tools, and explore a vast world filled with colorful characters and unique enemy creatures.

Tennis is a lot more fun with the classic PS2 game Hot Shots Tennis! Featuring 13 hot shot characters from the iconic golf series, play singles or doubles with 1-4 local players.

Run and gun in the retro classic Metal Slug 3, SNK’s iconic 2D shooter. With two-player co-op play, five immense and challenging stages, and gigantic boss characters, the action is always fast and furious.

Here are all the new games available to stream on PS4 and PC starting today:

• Ape Escape 2
  • Dark Cloud 2
  • Hot Shots Tennis
  • Limbo
  • Metal Slug 3
  • Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics
  • Sine Mora EX
  • Siren
  • The Last Blade 2

PS3 → PS4 upgrades:

• Blazblue Chrono Phantasma Extend

Here are the most popular games on the service in April:

• Red Dead Redemption
  • God of War 3 Remastered
  • WWE 2K16
  • Mortal Kombat
  • NBA 2K16
  • Homefront: The Revolution
  • God of War Collection
  • Fallout: New Vegas
  • Sid Meier’s Civilization Revolution
  • Sonic Generations

If you haven’t tried PlayStation Now yet, check out the seven-day free trial for PS4 and PC to experience the streaming service today. PS Now provides unlimited on-demand access to a growing library of over 600 games, with new games added every month, and no game downloads required. PS4 save data in PS Now is also compatible with PS Plus cloud saves, so you can upload/download save files to and from your own console.

Stay tuned for more updates on PS Now. Happy gaming!

Add Your Own

Potter13579 said:

May 1st, 8:07 am

First of all, when are we getting Ape Escape 3 on PS4 like it’s been rumored from the beginning? But really what I’m mostly hopeful for is getting Ape Escape 1 remastered announced soon for next year.

Black0Panther said:

May 3rd, 6:35 am

Stop with the spam fake website. Been Reported to Sony for providing spam Also Its 100% a scam with a fake page showing its not. Soon as you hit real sight you get pop ups and other things showing their are clear security risks in the webpage alone. Not even looking at what you are signing up for.

gohan16ken said:

May 1st, 8:13 am

Dear Sony

1. Please release GoW3, BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger, and others digitally on the PS3 PS Store.

2. Hackers have shown that the PS4 can run PS2 games natively without any modification. Please allow me to play all of my PS2 games that I got on my PS3 on my PS4.

Thanks.

AgentX said:

May 1st, 9:50 am

I’m happy to see that PS2 games are being added to the PS Now lineup.

At the same time, I’d like to support what gohan16ken said above, and ask that you add the following features to the PS4::

1. The ability to play actual PlayStation 2 game discs on the PS4 (through emulation).

2. The ability to carry over previously purchased PS2 classics from the PS3 to the PS4, without being required to repurchase them.

One of your main competitors offers similar features to play games going back two generations (both discs and digital purchases) on their current game console, and has never asked their fans to shell out even one red cent more. If Sony would do likewise for the PS4, then I’m certain that longtime fans would appreciate the gesture, and remain loyal to the PlayStation ecosystem for many years to come.

Rohail786Res5 said:

May 4th, 12:22 am

Yes!!! and recording functionality too :P

UltiGamer500 said:

May 1st, 8:14 am

Yes! I’ve been saying that they need to put the PS2 games on PS NOW. Now all we need is 1080p, full fidelity game streaming for PS NOW, and I’ll resubscribe in a heart beat!

SoaringEagle75 said:

May 3rd, 6:23 am

I would love to see all the old ps2 sports games on PS Now especially all of the old wrestling games I played when I was a teenager reliving and reminiscing about great times and memories

Duck_mann86 said:

May 1st, 8:32 am

Cool addition, but I’m still waiting to resubscribe once PlayStation All-Stars is added.

Axecution said:

May 1st, 1:44 pm

I love all stars but let’s be honest, man

the online has to be dead

UltiGamer500 said:

May 1st, 8:34 am

@BrianDunn This is very exciting. Like I said, I’ve been saying for months that they should start putting the ‘PS2 ON PS4’ games on PS NOW. That’s three generations of PlayStation games on the service. Game streaming is definitely the future of the industry, so seeing SONY making strides with PS NOW is very good. The only thing that needs to happen now is, giving the players the option to stream the games at 1080p, full fidelity. In the age of 4K and HDR gaming, its unacceptable that the best quality we can stream these games in, is 720p. That’s my only BIG complaint about, the other wise, great service. My 1 year membership is going to expire. And I’ll resubscribe once we get 1080p.

And as a side note, PS PLUS members should get PS NOW for $9.99 a month. And the 1 year option (the only time I personally subscribe) should be available all year round. But like I said, great work with the service so far.
Thanks.

Brian Dunn's Avatar

Brian Dunn said:

May 1st, 2:17 pm

Thanks for the support, and glad you’re excited about the PS2 games!

falconbox said:

May 1st, 3:39 pm

Games streaming is absolutely not the future of the industry.

MattKZ11 said:

May 1st, 8:40 am

Being able to play PS2 games is great news!

May I suggest one small quality of life addition?
In the PSN page for a game that is in the catalog can we see that it is playable on PS Now? Just a small icon next to PS4/PS3/PS Vita.
It is impossible to remember all the games in the catalog and that would be very useful.

imPinceofPersia said:

May 1st, 9:12 am

Bring Dragon Quest 8 to PS Now and I will subscribe just to play it.

ZeroGamingHQ said:

May 1st, 9:37 am

How about adding Star wars Battlefront II
2005 edition?It will get many people on the hype train!

KazeEternal said:

May 1st, 9:45 am

Here’s an idea. Give us an emulator on PS4 so I can play the DVD based PS2 games on my PS4. I’d happily pay once for an emulator that is supported with periodical updates. Additionally I would happily pay for a PS4 optimized version with trophies. I would be even more happy if I got a discount for poping in my PS2 disc for the optimized version. Could even restrict me to having the disc in the drive if you’re worried about DRM.

But please. PLEASE! STOP WITH THIS PLAYSTATION NOW NONSENSE!!! It costs too much, the overhead is ridiculous, there is zero benefit in me using it, the lag (not the speed of my connection) makes playing an annoyance, and I have to depend on my internet connection not bottoming out while playing.

Technology is advancing faster than your streaming service, thus making it irrelevant. By time you got all PS3 titles on here (which I’m not even asking for and would like to see on PS5 for emulation) we’ll be talking about PlayStation 6 and how cool it would be if sony would re-enter the portable market with a Switch 2 type device.

My 60 gig PS3 is still hooked up because of this. I would very much like to get that HDMI port back on my TV.

wolfing69 said:

May 1st, 10:04 am

And here I am doing something wrong because I love PS Now. Yes it’s expensive unless you get the 1-year subscription (which should be up always not just seasonal), with it you’re paying basically $8/month for over 600 games plus 8 or so added every month. As for the quality of the service, I can’t comment because I have a gigabit connection so it works flawlessly for me.

UltiGamer500 said:

May 1st, 11:25 am

@wolfing69 Exactly. I think most people who complain about PS Now (which doesn’t make any sense. If you don’t like it, then just don’t subscribe. No point in ranting online.), do it because their internet isn’t good enough for the service. Although, I do understand compainging about the the price. Its so expensive. It should be $10 for PS Plus members. And the $100 one year option should be available all the time. I only subscribe to that one, and I love PS NOW.

Tatanka2007 said:

May 1st, 1:24 pm

People don’t like PS Now because it is subpar. My FIOS stream is the top tier. But it doesn’t matter how fast the stream is, the experience will still be subpar: 720p with stereo audio, not compatible with saves or DLC that you have may purchased in the past, etc. Even though Xbox Game Pass doesn’t REMOTELY have the catalog depth of PS NOW, it does offer you the full, undiluted game to download. Until I see a service offering the full, unaltered game like Game Pass with the catalog depth of PS Now, I’ll pass. Like many I’d rather own my titles anyway since you never know when a game might be delisted.

falconbox said:

May 1st, 9:55 am

Please Sony, we want REAL backward compatibility. Microsoft is doing it right while you keep pushing this failed PS Now experiment.

A rental service for games I already own, with the added “benefit” of input lag while streaming it is NOT a solution.

Gabriel_Aiello said:

May 1st, 2:23 pm

plus, it’s only available in some countries and doesn’t have most of the good games

Sreenadh said:

May 1st, 10:22 pm

DEAR SONY: If you want more Playstation Now subscribers remaster Socom 2 and Socom Combined Assault! There is a huge following and it was a top requested game when sony asked for their favorite PS2 games. REMASTER SOCOM ASAP!!

zak_valentine said:

May 1st, 11:16 am

Yay! PS2 Classics!
Hopefully, this is a sign that Sony isn’t giving up on HD upgrades. I’m hoping for a lot of PS1 and PS2 games upscaled and with trophy support!
Legend of Legaia and its sequel, Mega Man Legends, Um Jammer Lammy, the Syphon Filter series, the original versions of the Crash Bandicoot games… The list goes on!

HyperFlash said:

May 1st, 11:16 am

Steambot chronicles please that’s all I ask

Darth_Caedus_21 said:

May 1st, 11:25 am

Are they EVER going to put some classic Metal Gear games for play on the PS4?

ARtsIndustries said:

May 1st, 11:47 am

I haven’t been here for a while. What’s a PS3 -> PS4 upgrade?

Brian Dunn's Avatar

Brian Dunn said:

May 1st, 2:19 pm

As UltimGamer500 said, it’s a PS3 game that we have had in the service, and now you can play the PS4 version instead. If you had been playing the PS3 version, you can still access the game through your history and saved game list.

UltiGamer500 said:

May 1st, 11:48 am

The PS4 version of a PS3 game

Jarmorcous said:

May 1st, 12:02 pm

Dear Sony: why can’t we have a dragon ball z game to the ps2 classic, you know a lot of people would buy it because everyone used to love dbz. Just saying for a birthday wish can we please have dragon ball z budokai tenkaichi 2 please.

Tesal2005 said:

May 1st, 12:42 pm

Sadly still, PS now is only a available in a few countries/regions only.

while backward compatibility of at least PS1/PS2 as a start would have been supported in almost all region/countries.

Come in already, you can do it. Just Allow It.

SonicSylveon said:

May 1st, 12:50 pm

I will be fully satisfied if you guys finally add Sonic Heroes. Still, loving PS Now! Almost finished with one of my PS Now games.

saike1 said:

May 1st, 1:20 pm

Please add final fantasy xi to ps2 classics and xenosaga, thank you

gerald577 said:

May 1st, 1:49 pm

What about adding ace combat and gran turismo series???those were big fun in their day…..

UltiGamer500 said:

May 1st, 1:52 pm

You guys should add EVERY PlayStation Exclusive (that’s at least a few years old) to PS NOW. Games like; inFamous: Second Son/First Light, Ratchet & Clank Collection, Ratchet & Clank (2016), The Order: 1886, Bloodborn, Driveclub, Gran Turismo 6, Jak & Daxter (1-X), & PlayStation All Stars. Just to name a few.

And keep it up with the PS2 games, it’s been a long time coming.

Goodacre0081 said:

May 1st, 2:07 pm

Sony. you need to make this service much more palatable then it is today. you need a few things to make people care at this point.

#1 make it possible to use our PS3 discs as proof that we own the game and allow us to play those games without having a subscription.

#2 add full download support for PS4 games. streaming games is still a hit or miss issue with Internet Service Providers today and allowing us to fully download a game to use locally is a good interim solution. give us the option

#3 you need to be more competitive with pricing compared to Microsoft’s Game Pass

basically you need to look at what Microsoft is doing with it’s service and improve yours because as of right now PSnow is not worth our money when we see your competitor doing a much better job.

Ckff71up said:

May 3rd, 7:22 am

Until their sales start dipping they are not gonna listen to anyone. Microsoft is doing everything in their power to try and play catch up but their Xbox One Reveal still has hurt them in the long run and with them having no real exclusive only games to play on Xbox One or Xbox One X…Sony has no reason to change what they are doing. Switch won’t be a threat for awhile either.

ki1878456 said:

May 1st, 2:13 pm

Y’all i just want a persona 3 remasterd but thats me

Gabriel_Aiello said:

May 1st, 2:20 pm

PS Now and PS2 Classics is horrible… just give us backwards compatibility already and let us buy these older games digitally too, if emulators can do it so can you, that’s what happens when there’s no real competition, the one ahead gets lazy and try to make money out of horrible services

Teflon02 said:

May 1st, 2:40 pm

I don’t wanna sound like that guy but can we get more ps2 games on the ps4?
I’ve bought alot of them and love em. Also I think with the extra power on Pro you should atleast add the extra power to push a proper 1080p on the ps2 games instead of that 960 or whatever it is

falconbox said:

May 1st, 3:42 pm

They’d make so much money by just allowing us to buy these ges digitally and play them natively on PS4.

optimusmajr said:

May 1st, 2:44 pm

Bottom line Sony of we own the game we should be able to play it. I currently have my PS4 on full rotation my PS2 sits watching my PS4 being played to death only due to Nadden 18. I owned a PS3 but once it stopped working I just no longer saw the want to have another box sitting under my TV taking up space along with every other gaming system I own. I would love to play my older PS games but I am not willing to pay for games I already own or the system to play them on. I tried your PS Now service for a month then cancelled I’m 44 going on 45 money is getting tighter people are looking for a way to save not splurge. Netflix has the perfect business model for movies they innovated when all others were playing it safe and now we are slowly watching the downfall of cable tv if Sony keeps playing it safe somebody else is going to be the Netflix of gaming if Netflix isn’t already thinking about it.

efool said:

May 1st, 3:26 pm

WHY dont you guys ass WWF WAR ZONE title from ps1 PLEASE SONY

dkarlowicz10 said:

May 1st, 4:36 pm

What happened to PS2 classics on PS4. Only one PS2 game released on PSN for PS4 in the last 6 Months. Are you guys still going to bring them? Where is my Ratchet and Clank games, Splinter Cell (from Ubisoft), Sly Cooper, original God of War and others? Are you guys going to remake them like Activision did with Crash and Spyro? Need more information.

nirvanna101 said:

May 1st, 7:30 pm

Since you’re adding PS2 Games to PS Now, you think you can add more PS2 games to the PS4? Like God of War 1 through 3, Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (Not the EA Games one) and Ultimate Spider-Man?

Also, I’m fine with you re-releasing PS2 games on the Playstation 4’s playstation store but it would be cooler if you allowed backward compatibility for PS2 games.

SpooNManX said:

May 1st, 9:46 pm

I really hope they do things right when it comes to the PS5.

I’d like to see LOCAL play of PS1 & PS2 classics. I can’t stand lag, even when it’s 80ms or less. It just doesn’t feel right.

Then also emulate PS3 (Should be possible with the 6-10x jump in performance from the PS4, especially if they use the new AMD Navi GPU.) and of course PS4 should all be 100% backwards compatible.

This is one thing that Sony should be watching Microsoft with very closely. They are making their owners very happy with 360 and original Xbox B/C.

Sreenadh said:

May 1st, 10:20 pm

OldDogCZ said:

May 2nd, 12:36 am

Very nice selection. What about The Simpsons: Hit and Run game? Will this classic be on PS3 and PS4?

Fedast said:

May 2nd, 6:41 am

While the xbox users can enjoy Red Dead Redemption at 4K, Sony users can only play it at 720p, with lag, compression and with internet connection required. Oh, and on selected countries only (can’t use it on my country.) Sony, give us real backward compatibility!

YAKxDACHAMP415 said:

May 2nd, 6:32 pm

Can we get def jam fight for new York or any nba street game

breezerak said:

May 2nd, 9:36 pm

As a person who owns numerous systems I can’t understand why Sony does not come up with a backwards compatible system like they did when they made the PS3 both. I mean they made two different systems one capable of playing all games 1-3 and one that plays just the PS3 games why can they not do it again. I have spent a fortune on my collection and I would like to be able to play them all in one system. I’m a collector I still buy older games plus new ones. I thought Sony was not only brilliant when they did the two system plan why can they not do that again I would be willing to pay twice as much for a new system that could play all my games.

McSmuggler said:

May 2nd, 11:45 pm

I have a question my ps3 is messed up and doea not work now can I download all the games I bought on the ps3 to my ps4 because I want to play the first metal gear solid and ff7 I already payed for them how come I can’t find them and why the hell do I have to have internet to watch the damned movies I payed for on my ps4 wtf is that crap…..

FoxyDiamond said:

May 3rd, 4:19 am

@PlayStation Please add Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria!!!!

Swordfish64 said:

May 3rd, 5:27 am

Please add SOCOM, SOCOM 2 and SOCOM 3 to the PSNOW list.

LingeringSmoke said:

May 3rd, 6:47 am

I wish that any game they put on PS Now was available for purchase. I’m not down with paying for streaming services. I already owned most of these games once, twice, or even three times.

drd7of14 said:

May 3rd, 6:56 am

I actually love the idea of classics entering the fold for PSNOW. But I say, why stop with PS2. Yeah, yeah…People are clamoring for PS1 titles to be brought into the fray.

But you know what it really needs? It needs those badass PSP/PSV classics.

Patchwork Heroes

Freedom Wars
Soul Sacrifice
Severed
Persona 4 Golden
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
Superstardust: Delta

Just a taste of the excellent portable library, particularly from the PSP side. Some touch up and trophies would be nice of course (maybe down the line), but there’s no reason not to have support now for the base versions of some of these games. Especially in regards to PSV titles, as those games don’t need as much work.

NATE_SBV said:

May 11th, 8:09 am

34% complete the game and loving it. But then for some reason my save data got corrupted and I can’t even start the game without it saying save data corrupted. It fails to restore it over and over again. I am not the only one if you google it. Can I get a refund for my ps now sub?

NATE_SBV said:

May 11th, 8:10 am

34% complete Ape Escape 2 and loving it. But then for some reason my save data got corrupted and I can’t even start the game without it saying save data corrupted. It fails to restore it over and over again. I am not the only one if you google it. Can I get a refund for my ps now sub?

ishmael_c said:

May 15th, 7:40 pm

Can you release Wheel of Fortune and WWE Smackdown vs. RAW series?

May 15th, 7:53 pm

Thanks everyone, you guys do a great job, can you please bring back dead space collection.