God of War

May 03

May 03

God of War Sells Over 3.1 Million Units in 3 Days, Becomes Fastest-Selling PS4 Exclusive

Santa Monica Studio's bold new vision for the legendary PlayStation series has won over players and critics alike.

Asad Qizilbash's Avatar Posted by Vice President, Marketing, SIEA

One of PlayStation’s most iconic series is reaching new heights this week. Thanks to all of you, our fans, God of War has become the fastest-selling PS4 exclusive, with more than 3.1 million units sold globally in the first three days (April 20–22).

When we first revealed God of War less than two years ago, we knew we had something truly special. Fans reacted with tremendous excitement to this bold reimagining of the franchise, and we were thrilled to explore the unique father-son dynamic between Kratos and Atreus. Fast-forward to present day with the game’s release, and we are humbled to see such positive reviews.

This wouldn’t have been made possible without the exceptional team at Santa Monica Studio, and studio head Shannon Studstill shares with us this personal message:

“I would like to personally thank the millions of fans around the world who decided to embark on Kratos’ latest adventure with us. Your support is truly inspiring, and it’s a reason why we push ourselves every day to go beyond the boundaries of play. I’d also like to thank our Creative Director, Cory Barlog, and Director of Product Development, Yumi Yang and our entire amazing team at Santa Monica Studio. The belief in the game’s vision and the passion for storytelling across the team is undeniable. We look forward to hearing more about how fans are creating new memories of their favorite God of War gameplay moments that will be remembered for a long time.”

We hope you’ve enjoyed playing the game as much as we loved the process of creating it for you!

Add Your Own

FATHASUN said:

May 3rd, 7:34 am

AMAZING!

GaMeR_bOi_83 said:

May 3rd, 7:34 am

Wow 3.1 million units sold in 3 days? That’s amazing. Wonderful job SSM. All that hard work payed off. Thanks you you we got to play a masterpiece. Congratulations again and looking forward to sequel.

SinceByDarren said:

May 3rd, 7:48 am

It’s a fantastic game. Perfect pacing and content. Excellent combat that’s not too easy and not too frustrating. Audio work is top notch. Congratulations.

Narwhalinator said:

May 3rd, 7:55 am

You are so right. The audio is supremely well created. From the sound of a cave, to the axe, to the seagulls, to the creaking of the floorboards, I have been consistently floored…lol.

This is a game’s game. That is all I can say.

GMFCO311 said:

May 3rd, 7:51 am

Sony Playstation I was going to buy it on Amazon, but it is never available for purchase anymore. I’m also NOT interested in buying it from a 3rd party seller either. Besides that PSN cards and other PS related games are showing unavailable unless you buy it through a 3rd party. Not cool. Sony / Amazon please get your stuff together already. Your sales would be much higher if you would address this issue and fix it already. :(

SLOPPY_BOX said:

May 3rd, 9:53 am

I totally agree GMFC0311 I would have purchased from Amazon because of the prime discount to 48.99 but they removed it from their marketplace . Same with Detroit: becoming human and Spiderman . I believe this is Amazons decision because of the number of pre-orders was too high. Either way Sony lost sales because of the Amazon debacle.

BaSeBaLlKiD721 said:

May 3rd, 10:50 am

or just buy it from Best Buy with the Gamer’s Unlocked membership. $30 for 2 years and all games are 20% off, unlike Amazon where you must preorder to get the 20% off.

OroonokoArmy said:

May 3rd, 1:35 pm

Holy crap BaSeBaLlKiD721… how have I never heard of this!? I’m signing up ASAP

LorenzoJM1 said:

May 5th, 1:15 pm

The Best Buy Gamer’s Club at 15.00 a year is a good deal. 20% off all games, all the time. You pay for the membership with the first game…

omegazio said:

May 3rd, 8:06 am

Congratulations Sony Interactive Entertainment and SIE Santa Monica Studio for creating a Masterpiece and GOTY 2018 Contender! 2018 looks bright for the PlayStation community.

vividhC said:

May 3rd, 8:11 am

So, this does not include pre orders, right?

NextGenGamer2008 said:

May 3rd, 8:12 am

Can honestly say this is one of the greatest games ever made – it’s probably going to end up in my top 10 or even top 5 list. Every single aspect is A++ quality – from the graphics to the sound design, the music and the acting quality, art direction, attention to detail and lore (oh goodness the lore depth!), pacing and combat, camera and UI design (the text doesn’t seem to bother me at all on my 55″ 4K Vizio set and PS4 Pro) – as someone else said, this is a game’s game.

What is especially crazy is that two years in a row now, Sony has released a game-of-the-year candidate in the beginning months of the year. Horizon: Zero Dawn in Feb. 2017 and now God of War in April 2018. Keep it up Sony :)

Jambi33 said:

May 3rd, 9:37 pm

4 years in a row (and two game of the year contenders last year). Horizon and Persona 5 last year, Uncharted 4 in 2016, and Bloodborne in 2015.

muster_jack said:

May 3rd, 8:12 am

BEST GAME AND BEST Exclusive EVER AND EVER AND EVER AFTER

WyattEfenEarp said:

May 3rd, 8:14 am

It really is a fantastic game. Especially on the Pro. That record will be broken by The Last of Us Part II or Spider-Man possibly but definitely TLOU2.

horanyizalan said:

May 3rd, 8:24 am

I just bought a pro because of this game!
AMAZING!

Vizigoth04 said:

May 3rd, 8:34 am

Beat the game last night. Saw the secret ending.going through now to complete all the extras. Waiting patiently for what is next to come.

RCU005 said:

May 3rd, 8:45 am

This is an amazing game and everything about it was unexpected. I would have never imagined you could create something so meaningful with this franchise. I haven’t seen the “secret” ending yet, but it leaves so many questions unanswered. I loved every second of it.

I wanted to mention that I got the trophy for eevery artifact in the game, and in Midgard it says that I have 34/34, but yet, I have one missing in Stone Falls. The artifact isn’t there, so I did grab it, but the list mention is undiscovered and it says I am at 80% in Stone Falls. Is there a way to fix it?

fadingshadow said:

May 3rd, 9:02 am

An instant classic and a must-own for those who own a PS4. It’s truly a showcase and technical marvel of what the hardware is capable of and what their studios can do with it.

Tatanka2007 said:

May 3rd, 9:07 am

People keep OVERLOOKING a few things about the best-selling MASTERPIECE that is GOD OF WAR. Publishers/developers should be taking notes.

1. NO SEASON PASS!
2. NO DLC other than preorder skins!
3. No Loot Boxes or Microtranactions.

Santa Monica delivered the FULL game without gouging gamers with extra nonsense. I love God of War, and I love Santa Monica for respecting gamers!

CrusaderForever said:

May 3rd, 10:02 am

Well said!

HarryHoodlum said:

May 3rd, 10:30 am

Maybe there will be story DLC in a year or two? WANT MORE

CrusaderForever said:

May 3rd, 10:01 am

Congratulations!! It is so well deserved! The game is absolutely spectacular in every way. Can’t wait for the next game!

Valyrious said:

May 3rd, 10:07 am

Well deserved. This game is incredible. I’m so happy for Sony Santa Monica.

Shouldn’t be any doubt that they’re focusing on God of War II after their rest! Don’t forget to go back to your homes for a secret ending. ;)

anszbd1 said:

May 3rd, 10:43 am

Congratulation :)

darklordhippo said:

May 3rd, 11:16 am

This game is amazing. Congrats SSM. :)

fabiolbecker said:

May 3rd, 11:30 am

Parabéns pelo game…superou as expectativas

medenko1975 said:

May 3rd, 11:32 am

excellent bravo.

IcedDice777 said:

May 3rd, 5:37 pm

Congratulations Sony, Cory and everyone involved into making the game.

Bought the Stone Mason’s Edition from Gamestop Day 1. Loving the game, taking my time exploring every nook and cranny for loot. Sounds awesome in Full Surround sound too. Hope to see a nice meaty expansion like Horizon Zero Dawn got with Frozen Wilds.

Looking forward to DAYS GONE (most anticipated), Spider Man and Ghost of Tsushima!

Sony first party games/Studios are in league of their own. They always deliver the games:)

My .02

Jambi33 said:

May 3rd, 9:33 pm

Who was the executive that claimed that players were drifting away from story driven single player experiences? And that people want more multiplayer games? I hope he is seriously reconsidering that position after Sony’s success with God of War, Horizon and Persona last year, Uncharted 4 in 2016, and Bloodborne in 2015.

People who really love games love the incredible experiences and journeys they can take us on, they don’t just want to pew pew.

danishaslam87 said:

May 3rd, 10:04 pm

Congratulations Santa Monica for this great achievement, I just hope it to more than 30 million units, Coz you guys deserve it.

xsym said:

May 5th, 9:23 pm

This game is AWESOME and the it is big difference to the other GOW before….the moves and the combos are great…
they add more upgradable features like wrist and etc… Im not yet finish the game…im in the Summit now…hehehe…Keep up the good work SONY…and the team…

scoots42080 said:

May 6th, 10:58 am

Will there be more of the Limited Edition Pro bundles released? Completely sold out everywhere unless you buy from a scalper on eBay for $500+