God of War

May 09

May 09

Photo Mode Comes to God of War Today

Santa Monica Studio has implemented a robust suite of tools to let players capture the brutal chaos — and quiet beauty — of Kratos' and Atreus' journey.

Jeet Shroff's Avatar Posted by Engineering Lead, Santa Monica Studio

Boy – the game is OUT!

We at Santa Monica Studio have been blown away by the massive outpouring of positivity from our players, peers and the community over the global release of God of War. The last couple of weeks have been an exciting and humbling ride for us and we’d like to thank everyone for your love, support and for playing!

While you’ve been busy enjoying the game, we’ve been hard at work preparing Photo Mode for prime time. And the wait is over! With Patch 1.20, you’ll be able to jump into the director’s chair and experience God of War through the lens of your own camera. Just fire up the game, ensure you’re connected online, and you’ll be prompted to update.

God of War: Photo Mode

God of War: Photo ModeGod of War: Photo Mode

With God of War, we hoped to craft a game experience that was both a technical and art showcase. So adding Photo Mode was a no brainer! With Photo Mode, players will be able to unleash their creativity and experience the world, its fast paced combat, the beautifully crafted environments and its deadly characters like never before. With player choice being such a central theme to many of the decisions we made on God of War, we sought to deliver a Photo Mode with lots of options and we’re excited to put it in your hands!

Photo Mode can be accessed either through the Options Menu or by enabling Touch Pad Quick Access (which can be enabled via the settings).

To control the Photo Mode camera, use the Left and Right Thumb Sticks to navigate around the scene, and use the R2 and L2 buttons to pan up or down. You can move the camera back to its original position at any time by pressing Square.

God of War: Photo ModeGod of War: Photo Mode

There are five tabs in the Photo Mode menu that house all of the customization options within Photo Mode.

• Camera: Adjust the Field of View, Focal Length, and Camera Roll.
  • Aperture: Adjust the Depth of Field, Focus Distance, and F-Stop.
  • Filters: Adjust the Film Grain, Exposure, Filter, and Filter Intensity options.
  • Borders: Add a Vignette and adjust the Vignette Intensity, and Vignette Falloff. This includes a variety of Border styles and the official God of War logo.
  • Characters: Toggle the visibility of Kratos, Atreus, and all other characters in the scene. And my personal favorite, we’ve added the ability to change Kratos and Atreus’s facial expressions!

God of War: Photo Mode

Alright, so what are you waiting for? The team is excited to see all the amazing pictures that you will take while playing God of War. Along with Photo Mode in Patch 1.20, we’ve globally increased the text size in all our UI and Menus and included a new accessibility setting that allows players to remap Rage Mode.

But wait, there’s one more thing we’ve released today as well, God of War Stickers for mobile devices! Yell “Boy!”, raise your hands in Victory, show some love, or even throw a classic facepalm, our God of War emoji sticker set is now available for free on the App Store for iPhone, iPad, and other iOS devices. Don’t worry, they’ll also be coming to Android soon via the PS Messages App.

God of War: iMessage StickersGod of War: iMessage StickersGod of War: iMessage Stickers

On behalf of all of us here at Santa Monica Studio, thank you for playing!

Add Your Own

Fardeenah said:

May 9th, 8:46 am

what about new game plus???

sojac said:

May 9th, 2:18 pm

Yes. I would like to know of it as well. Even though it may break the game….

jimmyjam14810 said:

May 9th, 8:47 am

Nice! Can’t wait to give it a try

FifthDream said:

May 9th, 8:53 am

Yes! So glad this is out now. I’ve been looking forward to taking photos and sharing them all over. The game is beautiful. Even that big old lovable grump Kratos is nice to look at.

P.S. I love all the UI and accessibility improvements that have been added since the game came out. It’s always nice to have options where visibility and controls are concerned. Speaking of, might I humbly request that there be color and size options added for the crosshair? I personally find it quite hard to see to the point that it does unfortunately affect how well I play. It’s really the only issue I have with the game. It’s near-perfect! Thanks for listening.

cusman said:

May 9th, 8:56 am

Nice additions

GaMeR_bOi_83 said:

May 9th, 9:03 am

Yeah teleport right after I ended the game. Oh well may start a new game just to take pictures. Game is epic. I never knew GOW could be this type of game.

Sniperbsr_2 said:

May 9th, 9:05 am

yay I’m jumping for joy can we get the original GOD OF WAR back while your at it

al2009man said:

May 9th, 10:22 am

” our God of War emoji sticker set is now available for free on the App Store for iPhone, iPad, and other iOS devices. Don’t worry, they’ll also be coming to Android soon via the PS Messages App.”

doesn’t Gboard for Android supports Stickers? ya could release it there instead of make it exclusive to PS Messages app.

Texture_Surprise said:

May 9th, 10:37 am

It’s be really rad if the accessibility changes actually affected the text in game. All that great lore and equipment info that I can’t read unless I’m 1 foot from my TV screen…..

mwatcher said:

May 9th, 11:07 am

It’d be great if there was a New Game Plus mode – I’d be all over this game again if it did come to pass.

chenard4 said:

May 9th, 12:22 pm

3 Modes:

Survival: Basic How long can you last with enemies getting tougher. And being able to compare high scores.

Trials: Similar to a fighting game trials. Where you have to do moves in a certain order to complete the combo.

Endless: You start with base gear and stats and you go through waves you get to pick an upgrade to equip to the next round. If you get hit a lot you start to lose moves and gear.

Also the chance to play as baldr. For these modes.

Ketsch94 said:

May 9th, 1:42 pm

Thank u so much for such an extraordinary and that beast of a game, absolute contender for GOTY and definitely a contender for game of the generation and maybe of all time, thank u guys for keeping up with supporting after release
But i have a request if u can make that would be the complete package really, besides the new game plus we really really need like a stats tab or menu to know more about our achievements and the time spent playing, please make this come true Santa Monica

BigChun said:

May 9th, 2:31 pm

I really need new game plus mode in my life real bad, ive compleated everything 100%, not just the trophys but all in game stuff too, dying to start again without grinding the mist, the trials or the noniar chest over again

DVP_PANTERA said:

May 9th, 3:45 pm

My friends and I were already warring over who took the best Still and /or action shot in the game. (Shout out to Muscles and Ace) This cool addition will allow us to refine our photos, thanks Santa Monica!

yoda42192 said:

May 9th, 6:33 pm

Yessssss Santa Monica this game is literally the best thing I’ve ever put my fingers on. I pray for a new game plus eventually but I’ve played this game already 3 times and I still cannot get enough of it.

chompbizzle said:

May 9th, 7:55 pm

I can’t wait to give this a try tomorrow just don’t know what expression I should do Ha i got smolder!

chompbizzle said:

May 9th, 7:57 pm

Tomorrow i’m gonna take on god of war mode! wish me luck!?

KOTOR4240 said:

May 10th, 12:20 pm

I’ll be honest. Photo Mode has got to be the most useless feature in any PS4 game and they would be better off without it.

jimnz8aa said:

May 10th, 1:40 pm

i updated god of war with photo mode yesterday and for some reason i have those black bars. i went into ps4 settings in sound and screen enlarge to max and nothing still same. replugged HDMI cord and also on tv setting with picture screen size and still nothing. have any of you encountered this since then???

gor1llap1mp said:

May 10th, 7:42 pm

I’ve been experiencing issues with HDR on original PS4, particularly with GOW. It hasn’t been coming on and now with this patch everything is bleached out bright, nearly unplayable. What’s going on and is PS4 Pro HDR at the system level?

jersey_JOE_ said:

May 13th, 5:07 pm

Love the game.
Thank you Santa Monica Studios.
1 more thing is NEEDED though.
The wording on screen SHOULD BE “LARGER”.
Its still difficult to see.
Thanks again.