Hit the ground running when the battle royale begins.
H1Z1: Battle Royale will be available to download for free on PlayStation 4 tomorrow and we could not be more excited! We know battle royale games can be a bit intimidating – outlasting 99 other people is no easy feat – so the team compiled a handful of tips and tricks to help you develop your winning strategy.
For those who are unfamiliar with H1Z1, it’s a fast-paced battle royale action shooter, where 100 players parachute down, but only 1 can win. Players must quickly loot up with base gear and then head for safety, as a toxic gas compresses the map. As time goes on, waves of airdrops release with varying levels of gear. The first wave of airdrops, which are colored green, contain level-1 items like the AK-47 and AR-15. Level-2 and level-3 weapons and gear come in the next waves of airdrops, which are identified with purple and gold light beacons. Players will have to decide when and how to engage if they want to get a leg up on the competition.
Now, let’s help you develop your winning strategy!
- Practice your aim and learn bullet drop mechanics in Combat Training before taking the dive into battle royale matches!
- Finding a weapon should be your first priority after touching down – remember, with 99 other players in the match, there’s always someone nearby.
- Master the weapon wheel – you can hold up to two weapons from the start, with level-1 and level-2 backpacks each unlocking a 3rd and 4th weapon slot.
- Pay attention to the planes overhead – the military crates they drop across the map are a guaranteed way to get more powerful gear and weapons.
- Use the minimap and compass to locate a vehicle – police cruisers, jeeps, trucks and ATVs make it easier to grab airdrops before the competition, and offer the quickest path to safety as the gas rings start closing.
- Looking for a fight? If you can’t wait to find your next opponent, hop in a police cruiser, press Right on the D-pad to turn on the sirens, and head towards an airdrop.
- Feeling exposed while opening an airdrop? Drop a smoke grenade to provide cover!
Molotovs are a key item to surviving. When used strategically, they can force other players out from cover, making it easier to take them down.
- Don’t skyline yourself! It may be tempting to run along the top of the hill so that you get a commanding view of the area, but that means everyone in the area also gets a view of you!
- Move so your head is just under the crest of the hill—you’ll still see a lot, but prevent enemies from spotting you.
- Remember to upgrade your armor – standard helmets and makeshift armor can be looted throughout the map, but stronger tactical helmets and laminated armor can only be found in airdops and military crates.
When exploring the map, listen for radio chatter as it will tell you the location of a nearby military crate. These hidden crates spawn randomly in the world and can be a safer way to grab better gear and weapons than airdrops. They’re also a great way to loot up BEFORE the first wave of airdrops!
See you in the game!