PlayStation VR

Jun 11

Jun 11

Control is a New Supernatural Adventure From Remedy Entertainment

The studio that brought you Max Payne and Alan Wake takes a step in a new direction.

Thomas Puha's Avatar Posted by Head of Communications, Remedy Entertainment

Hello, PlayStation nation!

In making games, it’s hard to think of a moment more thrilling and nerve-wracking than when you reveal the first glimpse of the game you’re working on. We’re happy and proud to share this moment with you now with Control, the latest Remedy game in the making which will be published by 505 Games.

We know you love single-player games with deep stories and worlds, so it was a special honor for us to be able to globally premiere the trailer at PlayStation’s E3 Showcase. This is only the beginning…

So what is Control?

On the surface, Control is a supernatural action-adventure with a memorable cast of characters and the kind of twisted story you expect from Remedy, and from our Creative Director, Sam Lake.

Jesse Faden’s troubled past has led her to New York, to a huge concrete skyscraper known as the Oldest House. Within lies the headquarters of a secretive government agency known as the Federal Bureau of Control. At Remedy, we like to say that things go horribly, horribly wrong. And for Jesse, they really do: the Bureau is invaded by the otherworldly Hiss, a force that corrupts everything in its way and kills the Director of the Bureau. Through mysterious, ritualistic events, Jesse becomes the new Director and sets out to take on the Hiss with newly enhanced supernatural abilities. She also has something called the Service Weapon, a special, supernaturally enhanced gun that only the Director of the Bureau can use, which can change form at her will.

If you dig deeper into Control, you will find a gameplay-driven experience that is far less linear than our previous games. A big part of this is the setting of the game, the Oldest House, which you can glimpse in the trailer. The HQ of the Bureau is a strange place of power, a building that is vastly larger inside than its outside appearance would lead you believe, with a shifting floorplan filled with secrets to uncover.

Despite her abilities, Jesse won’t have it easy in her new role as the Director. Control is going to be a challenging game, so you’ll have to make use of both your destructive supernatural abilities as well as the transforming Service Weapon to fight back the Hiss. We want to give players a lot of choice on how they approach combat in our gameplay sandbox.

We hope this all has you curious about the secrets of the Oldest House. We have a lot lined up for the rest of the year and beyond to give you more info on Control.

Control - 1

Finally, I’d like to introduce our community managers who will be supporting Control from a community perspective: Lucas at 505 Games and Vida at Remedy. Lucas will be in the comments below to answer questions you might have — let us know what you thought of the trailer!

Add Your Own

paulogy said:

June 11th, 8:24 pm

Thank you for bringing your new game to PlayStation! It looks awesome!

June 12th, 2:17 pm

Thank you for your kind words paulogy! It means a lot to us – Lucas (@PadPoet)

vontune said:

June 11th, 8:33 pm

Game looks great. Is this exclusive to PS4

June 12th, 2:20 pm

We think so too ;) Thanks for the kind words vontune! The game will launch on various platforms, including PS4. – Lucas (@PadPoet)

BlindSeraph said:

June 11th, 8:43 pm

This looked absolutely incredible! How it was kept secret so long i don’t know but that was BAD ASS!!

June 11th, 11:56 pm

Thank you so much! Lets just say it’s very cold in Finland, so secrets travel slow ! In all seriousness though, we all like to be surprised right? So we really tried our best to keep Control under wraps before the announcement.

SANMAN0899 said:

June 11th, 8:50 pm

The trailer was fantastic. Cannot wait!

Few questions:

Is Jesse’s character model based off an actress or is an original model?

Will the game have PS4 Pro support?

The game shares a lot visually and gameplay-wise to Quantum Break, Is Control set within the same universe?

June 12th, 2:36 pm

Glad you liked it! It builds up nicely doesn’t it?

Jesse is based off an actress, yes. Courtney Hope.

Yes it will have PS4 Pro support. We’ll go into more details closer to launch through our communication channels.

It’s a different universe.

saab01 said:

June 11th, 9:31 pm

Interesting game can’t wait to hear more

June 12th, 2:38 pm

Thank you. Can’t wait to tell you more! Just be a little patient ;) – Lucas (@PadPoet)

Vices_9 said:

June 11th, 11:51 pm

Hello! I wanted to say welcome to PS4 and that I absolutely loved your trailer and that this is definitely a day 1 game for me. I’ve never gamed outside PS4 so it was a pleasant surprise to see you guys at Sony’s presser. I’m a huge fan of The Last of Us, Uncharted, Bloodborne, God of War, Infamous etc. so your game immediately caught my eye. Can’t wait to hear more.

June 11th, 11:58 pm

Thank you and everybody at Remedy is excited to be able to create a game for the PlayStation community. You mention some brilliant games there, we’ll try our best to offer the same kind of incredible experiences with Control.

Dead-Sync said:

June 12th, 12:19 am

This is awesome! I was seriously blown away by this and it served as cool concept of gameplay and a tone piece. Getting a lot of Dr. Strange vibes and I’m totally ok with this. Seems like a place I want to learn about more and explore.

Awesome to see Remedy and 505 joining the PS4 library. Considering NOBODY was expecting this, this might have been the biggest surprise of Sony’s presser! Cheers!

June 12th, 2:43 pm

Thank you for all this positive feedback! It really is a motivation driver on it’s own. We are giving it our 110% to make this the best game it can be for all of you lovely people out there!

All of us at 505 Games and Remedy Entertainment did our best to keep this a surprise. We glad we manage to pull it off!

– Lucas (@PadPoet)

harryharding said:

June 12th, 5:52 am

I knew within 5 seconds of the trailer this was Remedys’ new game. Got major Quantum Break vibes. I am the one gamer who really enjoyed Quantum Break.

N7Spartansw0rd said:

June 12th, 7:46 am

Looks awesome! I love Remedy and I’m very excited to see more

June 12th, 2:45 pm

<3 We love you too! – Lucas (@PadPoet)

krae_man said:

June 12th, 7:56 am

I will take your thoughts away
And I’ll ignite your fear today
Well I can take you far away
With my mind
With my miiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeiiinnnnnnnddddd.

Oh man, I hope I can use TK powers almost exclusively in combat. That was my favorite part of Psi Ops.

June 12th, 2:55 pm

Trust me, the combat in this is VERY interesting. More on this soon and thank you! – Lucas (@PadPoet)

Otterpoet said:

June 12th, 7:59 am

This really caught my attention. The look and narrative of this world is violently beautiful and terrifying. LOVE it.

June 12th, 2:51 pm

Then you’ll love it even more when we reveal more about the game ;) Thank you for your support Otterpoet – Lucas (@PadPoet)

JoshBandicoot182 said:

June 12th, 8:13 am

When I heard Remedy was back at it again, I was excited, seeing the trailer, now I’m curious, i wanna know more, I love it

June 12th, 2:52 pm

Be a little patient, we’ll be revealing more soon! :D Thank you! <3 – Lucas (@PadPoet)

kdiep said:

June 12th, 11:24 am

Remedy, I love you. You were really the only reason I ever considered buying into a different platform and now that you’re here making games for PlayStation, I couldn’t be happier. Big fan of Max Payne and Alan Wake (never got to Quantum Break, sorry). I honestly can’t say the trailer got me excited but I love your games and so I remain excited, always unique and interesting stories.

June 12th, 2:54 pm

And always for you! Seriously, thank you from the bottom of our hearts! It means a lot to every single one of us working on this project! – Lucas (@PadPoet)

dkarlowicz10 said:

June 12th, 3:06 pm

This game looks so awesome. Cannot wait. You guys have released a lot of great games. I was there to play the original Death Rally, when it came out. Would love to see the updated 2012 of that game on PS4.

Circuitburnout said:

June 13th, 4:59 am

This looks great Remedy! So excited to play this when it comes out. I loved Quantum Break and I’m sure I’ll love this too.

cusman said:

June 13th, 6:03 am

This games trailer at E3 showed the style and it certainly caught my attention. Looking forward to seeing some gameplay to get better sense of how it plays and maybe little more on the story / character details.

Welmosca said:

June 14th, 3:45 am

Game looked pretty cool…had some Inside vibes from it but its hard to trust Remedy so I’ll wait and see how it turns out.

Also it reminded me of Force Unleashed lol.

PiedMontAce777 said:

June 14th, 5:14 am

hi love your work and all your games specially alan wake
any way can we see alan wake and quantum break at ps4

Kid_Grim said:

June 17th, 8:26 pm

Tell me a game this pretty will play 40+ hours

PYTHON101 said:

June 19th, 11:41 am

This reminds me of an even older game one that I felt was overlooked called Psi-Ops: The Midegate Conspiracy. I would have loved another game or something similar on the PS4, so definitely buying because telekinesis as a power in video games especially now needs to happen but most will still compare to Quantum Break.